The Watch Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Silverzone
  • 1,456 comments
I'm sorry... if you're going to spend upwards of $800K USD on anything, you'd better get your money's worth. I would feel ridiculously cheated if what you said about Richard Mille were true and if I were to buy that $800K+ USD watch from them that I saw in the DuPont Registry. $800K+ USD is a whole lot of money to invest in and spend to come up short in the end. I never realized watches could cost THAT much. A long time ago, I blogged about watches and saw one watch on Amazon retail for about $11K USD or $15K USD. I, meanwhile, am still pretty happy with my $23 USD watch from an Academy store.

Despite their quality "issues" (it's the screws heads that are mostly affected and you would need to really get into it to find those defects. Again a price to pay when they have a proprietary screw) they don't depreciate much, if anything really. The $800k USD a person is paying now is probably the $800k USD they'll get when they sell them. RM's are usually ridiculously limited, but, I'll be honest, some of them are engineering marvels, like the Rafael Nadal's special editions, or even the Alain Prost cycling watch that, to me, is wierdly appealing. But I agree with you, their quality is sometimes sub par and not worth the stupid prices.

But when it comes to expensive watches there are two different possibilites:
  • The OTT diamond behemoth of questionable taste, like the Jacob&Co Billionare, a 1 of 1 watch owned by Floyd Mayweather
  • Or the vintage watch, like the Rolex "Paul Newman" Daytona.

Been wondering if this is a good watch just in case I plan to buy one for myself in the future.
images

Yes. It is said that watch collectors or enthusiasts should own a G-Shock at any point. It's a tool watch, I own one and it's a tank, very well built, with tons of functions. You just have to find the right one that suits your needs and it's something that will last you a lifetime

Yes. It is said that watch collectors or enthusiasts should own a G-Shock at any point. It's a tool watch, I own one and it's a tank, very well built, with tons of functions. You just have to find the right one that suits your needs and it's something that will last you a lifetime
Oh yes. I currently wear an older one of it although I'm referring to this model specifically, which is the Rangeman. I wonder if its $300 price tag is worth it since it is double the price of the watch that I purchased years ago.

Ahoy me maties.

So after a long innings between watches (5+ yrs?) I decided to sell off my Citizen NightHawk and Epos Originale and bought one of these instead, which arrived today.

A Marathon GSAR 41mm automatic.

With hindsight, I might have gone the 46mm, but this is roughly the same as my Fortis, and I think a larger vanilla dial (sans sub dials) would have looked a bit comical in a sort of juiced up bodybuilder fat armed big watched kinda stereotypical way.

Props to Marathon - 4 days from Canada to Sydney and they threw in a free Marathon Nato :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Last edited:
So just got back into watches and thought to revive this thread. I have thin wrists and therefore prefer sub 40mm watches. Just recently I added a Seiko SKX013, Casio A158WA and A168WA. I am also still hoping the SNKL23 I ordered from ebay isnt a scam.

Anyone here experience with the Timex Marlin 34MM re-issue? I love the classic size and look. Cant seem to be able to order the watch from their website.

TW2R47900ZV-2.jpg

So just got back into watches and thought to revive this thread. I have thin wrists and therefore prefer sub 40mm watches. Just recently I added a Seiko SKX013, Casio A158WA and A168WA. I am also still hoping the SNKL23 I ordered from ebay isnt a scam.

Anyone here experience with the Timex Marlin 34MM re-issue? I love the classic size and look. Cant seem to be able to order the watch from their website.

TW2R47900ZV-2.jpg

I have an original Marlin I bought on eBay. You might have better luck there and it'll be cheaper.

I used to be into watch collecting, though, I certainly wouldnt call most of my watches collectables. Those watches aren't why I am here though. I am here to talk about my Casio Telememo 30. It's a 2747 AW 80 with the tan and brown color scheme.
This watch has been an absolute tank. I bought it back in May 2006. I purchased it during in processing for basic training. I wore it all through basic, and the 4 years I was in the military. Never had an issue that whole time. This watch has gone through a lot and never missed a tick. Just some scuffing on the face and body. After my service, I retired the watch. Thrown in to a box with the rest of the watches I've collected over the years.
Since I've started section and through hiking, I've decided that it's time to stop loss the watch and pull it back into service. Yesterday, I dug it out of its box and to my surprise, the watch is still going strong. The battery is still chooching away, it was off by only 10 minutes and still feels good on the wrist. I may replace the battery, just to avoid Murphy's law and it losing juice right when I might need it most, but all things told, this is probably the best, toughest watch I have ever owned and look forward to putting down many, many more miles with it.

20191001_092536.jpg 20191001_092544.jpg

My newest watch. Although it is a Homage, its a custom homage. Also one of a vintage design that isn’t in production anymore.

Tiger concept 5508v6 (Submariner 5508 Big crown Homage), ceramic bezel with red pip, with Sword hands (MilSub Style) and modern bracelet. For under $200.

Attachments

• E1A26E3A-3CC1-4314-ADA8-3E3A632A57CD.jpeg
    E1A26E3A-3CC1-4314-ADA8-3E3A632A57CD.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 24
I assume you are talking about the strap? It is a variation of a Marine Nationale.

My wife saw me looking at this a week or so ago and meant to surprise me with it on Christmas.

IMG_20191204_181254.jpg

IMG_20191204_181324.jpg

IMG_20191204_181438.jpg

It is the Timex Q reissue and I love it. She told me to be on the lookout for some stockings she ordered so I saw a package addressed to her, opened it thinking it was the stockings and well, you see what it was. I've been looking at "Pepsi" watches for quite a while and I'm more than happy with this one.

My wife saw me looking at this a week or so ago and meant to surprise me with it on Christmas.

View attachment 871228
View attachment 871229
View attachment 871230

It is the Timex Q reissue and I love it. She told me to be on the lookout for some stockings she ordered so I saw a package addressed to her, opened it thinking it was the stockings and well, you see what it was. I've been looking at "Pepsi" watches for quite a while and I'm more than happy with this one.

Really love these vintage re-issues from Timex. Might get the blue one. Enjoy your Pepsi!

Really love these vintage re-issues from Timex. Might get the blue one. Enjoy your Pepsi!

View attachment 871228
View attachment 871229
View attachment 871230

Timex is really doing interesting things. Is the red hand a genuine GMT hand?

Took my Omega back to the jewellers where i bought it for a service and minor repair (one of the numerals had fallen off the face) No reputable jewellers would touch it as far as servicing and repairs go, so they ship them back to Omega themselves, which i'm fine with. They phoned today having received and inspected it. It's going to be £650... :indiff:

Just to add to that the nice red leather box it came in, which has spent the last 17 years sat in the corner of a sock-draw, has somehow managed to get scratched up.

Expensive business this watch owning lark.

Took my Omega back to the jewellers where i bought it for a service and minor repair (one of the numerals had fallen off the face) No reputable jewellers would touch it as far as servicing and repairs go, so they ship them back to Omega themselves, which i'm fine with. They phoned today having received and inspected it. It's going to be £650... :indiff:

Just to add to that the nice red leather box it came in, which has spent the last 17 years sat in the corner of a sock-draw, has somehow managed to get scratched up.

Expensive business this watch owning lark.

650???? you can get at least one nice watch for that money.

650???? you can get at least one nice watch for that money.

I could indeed and it did make me wonder if it was worthwhile, but it has sentimental value as it was an engagement gift. Also, used values are starting to climb because they only produced this model for a couple of years, plus Omega have started pricing their new watches further upmarket which will drag up used prices too. I've seen a used one priced at $1600 online which looks a similar condition to mine but doesn't mention if it's been serviced recently (or at all), so it stands that if i can keep mine in good condition and working order, then paying a substantial amount now will be worth it in the long run.

It's a good article and highlights the dilemma i have with mine. There's a flat servicing rate for non-chronographs, so mine which was at the cheaper end of the scale (yet still best part of £1k twentyish years ago) costs the same to service as a non-chronograph at 5x that cost new, and only £100 less than a bells and whistles chrono at 10x that. The service without the repair is about 20% - 25% the cost of the nearest equivalent to mine as new - but only 8 - 10% the cost of a higher end model. Some of the materials in the case may be grander and of a bigger scale but essentially you are servicing the same mechanisms and quantity of parts. It sucks, but you are between a rock and a hard place. You either have a working and wearable watch which retains some value, or you have a pretty object which may still be of sentimental value, but is broken and sits in a sock draw.

Still, that's my Christmas and birthday presents sorted for the near-future :(

So I've just purchased my third watch (which is also a Nixon watch). This time, it's the 48-20 Chrono. I found it on eBay, new for 100 bucks (The model isn't featured on the Nixon website anymore, the official retail price was around 400€ and it's still offered around that price tag on most websites at the moment). My question is: the lug width of the leather strap is 23mm, and by my research, 23mm stainless steel straps are almost impossible to find. A new one from Nixon would be at least 90€. I guess a 22mm strap wouldn't work, or could the lugs of the leather strap be taken for a new strap? I'm quite the noob when it comes to changing straps. Would be nice to know.

Here's the watch (it'll arrive at my place in a couple of days):

nixon-the-48-20-chrono-leather-4.jpg

So I've just purchased my third watch (which is also a Nixon watch). This time, it's the 48-20 Chrono. I found it on eBay, new for 100 bucks (The model isn't featured on the Nixon website anymore, the official retail price was around 400€ and it's still offered around that price tag on most websites at the moment). My question is: the lug width of the leather strap is 23mm, and by my research, 23mm stainless steel straps are almost impossible to find. A new one from Nixon would be at least 90€. I guess a 22mm strap wouldn't work, or could the lugs of the leather strap be taken for a new strap? I'm quite the noob when it comes to changing straps. Would be nice to know.

Here's the watch (it'll arrive at my place in a couple of days):

View attachment 873735

Not sure what you mean with "or could the lugs of the leather strap be taken for a new strap? "

Strapcode has 23 mm metal straps. Not cheap though.
https://www.strapcode.com/products/metal-ss-bcl03-b024?_pos=20&_sid=ab5b8c474&_ss=r

Enjoy the Nixon!

Not sure what you mean with "or could the lugs of the leather strap be taken for a new strap? "

Strapcode has 23 mm metal straps. Not cheap though.
https://www.strapcode.com/products/metal-ss-bcl03-b024?_pos=20&_sid=ab5b8c474&_ss=r

Enjoy the Nixon!
Whoops, my fault. I mean the pushpins (if that's the right word for them).

Damn, I don't want to imagine what the price is going to be with shipping to Germany. Guess I'll continue looking and maybe visit my local jewlery store when the watch arrives and see if there are any 23mm bracelets to choose from that won't break the bank.

The watch has arrived today. Gotta say: exceptional quality. Soft, smooth leather and some good weight. Really comfortable to wear. Looks great!

IMG_20191217_194026.jpg

Edit:

Just got the watch back from the jewlery store. The bracelet including tha changing procedure cost me 39€. Looks great.

IMG_20191219_135940.jpg

Last edited:
My best friend just got this Poljot stadium watch off ebay. I don't know the model name or number, but it is a very handsome watch in a 1960s futuristic way.

And have you seen this Kickstarter? $160 for a $5 Casio F-91W you can't reset, will lose time, display the wrong date after each leap year, and you can't ever replace the battery. And they've got over 200 backers.

Back