The Xbox One Thread - One X & One SXBOne 

• Thread starter Robin
  • 5,072 comments
It's already been confirmed to run any game that is available on the base, a long time ago, hasn't it? With the PS4 Pro being set at $400, which would be around £310 for you, and the Scorpio having significantly more oomph, I would imagine you're in for disappointment. Although, I would say if it's under $500 that it would be fairly priced.

Yes, I am aware that has been confirmed - I was just saying the focus of the conference should be on gaming rather than other forms of media (unlike the Xbox one unveiling).

And £399 is my prediction anyway, which is over $500. A price tag over that threshold is questionable for me, considering Project Scorpio is running Xbox One S tech (which can be bought for less than £200) turned up to 11. The PS4 Pro did the same thing and retailed for £50 less than my prediction (£349). Plus Microsoft has to be competitive with its pricing if the Pro gets a price cut.

And £399 is my prediction anyway, which is over $500. A price tag over that threshold is questionable for me, considering Project Scorpio is running Xbox One S tech (which can be bought for less than £200) turned up to 11. The PS4 Pro did the same thing and retailed for £50 less than my prediction (£349). Plus Microsoft has to be competitive with its pricing if the Pro gets a price cut.
Yeah, depending on how it turns out, I would say $500+ would be questionable to me as well. As for running One S tech, where did you hear that? If it's "Turned up to 11" wouldn't that mean it's not the same? While the PS4 did something similar, the difference between the base and the Pro isn't as great as the Scorpio is going to be doing, as well as the fact that it's missing the 4k blu-ray drive makes the small price difference seem reasonable.

It'll be hard to be competitive with its pricing, since the hardware is that much stronger. I'll be pleasantly surprised if its at the lower spectrum of $400.

As for running One S tech, where did you hear that? If it's "Turned up to 11" wouldn't that mean it's not the same?

By that I meant Project Scorpio is running on the same CPU and GPU architecture as the Xbox One S at a higher clock speed, hence "turned up to 11".

If MS can find a way to justify Scorpio costing more than twice the standard console, it will probably be through the increased RAM (now GDDR5) or 4K blu-ray drive.

By that I meant Project Scorpio is running on the same CPU and GPU architecture as the Xbox One S at a higher clock speed, hence "turned up to 11".
I'm not too technical with PC specs, but from sample we've seen with Forza running on the Scorpio as well as the opinions of I've read from @Terronium-12, you're either cutting it short, or missing something there as it all sounds like its a significant improvement over the base.

If MS can find a way to justify Scorpio costing more than twice the standard console, it will probably be through the increased RAM (now GDDR5) or 4K blu-ray drive or
If the Pro can be priced as much as $150 dollars more than its base, than I don't see how Microsoft charging $250 more than its base is out of the question, considering how much stronger it's supposed to be than the Pro and the fact that it is including a 4k blu-ray player.

I'm not too technical with PC specs, but from sample we've seen with Forza running on the Scorpio as well as the opinions of I've read from @Terronium-12, you're either cutting it short, or missing something there as it all sounds like its a significant improvement over the base.

With the information I've seen regarding CPU and GPU specs for the Scorpio, I don't believe I'm cutting anything short and 11 was supposed to be a number which indicates a significant improvement. And for what its worth, basing Scorpio on the One S architecture shouldn't be seen as a bad thing. For developers, getting a game to run on Scorpio doesn't require any additional tweaking compared to a regular Xbox One port because of this.*

*Unless they want to take advantage of the extra computing power.

The CPU may be the same architecture but GPU is definitely new.

Xbox One - AMD Sea Islands (GCN 2) Bonaire Type (Custom 853MHz/914MHz UC R7 260/360)
Scorpio - AMD Polaris (GCN 4) Ellesmere XTL Type (Custom 1172Mhz UC RX 590)

I think a price of around £399 is realistic given the PS3 launched at £425 however the pound is worth a lot less now than it was then.

Only 2 days to go to the conference, I hope they dedicate most of it to Scorpio rather than a quick reveal at the end.

Yes, I am aware that has been confirmed - I was just saying the focus of the conference should be on gaming rather than other forms of media (unlike the Xbox one unveiling).

It will. I forgot whose Tweet it was, but someone (I'm assuming it was Phil Spencer, because why wouldn't it be? :P) stated that the Xbox briefing on Sunday will run longer than the usual 90 minute length. Why? Games.

And £399 is my prediction anyway, which is over $500. A price tag over that threshold is questionable for me, considering Project Scorpio is running Xbox One S tech (which can be bought for less than £200) turned up to 11.

Uh, no. That's an incredible oversimplification.

However, the "turned up to 11" comment is more or less spot on. I could go into a tireless (perhaps even boring if tech isn't your cup of tea) explaination of why anything "turned up to 11" is expensive in and itself (fault tolerances, etc) but just know that that's a price increase by itself.

The only thing remotely the "same" is the CPU. The GPU is entirely brand-new.

If MS can find a way to justify Scorpio costing more than twice the standard console, it will probably be through the increased RAM (now GDDR5) or 4K blu-ray drive.

Every game benefiting from the additional overhead with no pre-programmed "profiles" necessary; every game benefiting from the now 9GB of memory available, whether that be for increased visual fidelity or performance; a 4K Blu-ray drive as you've already mentioned, and who knows what else.

I'm not even interested in buying one but the tech tickles me. Because nerd. :lol:

So Geoff keighly says it $499. Quite surprised, thought they'd take more of a cut.

Although, a F7 holiday bundle for $499 isn't bad at all.

Now I'm just hoping we won't get shafted when it comes to UK pricing. Even though $499 translates to less than £399, It will probably be £429 like the launch Xbox One.

The UK was royally done over with the PS3 launch price... £425 and it was £300 in the US!

I also wonder if the UK will get excluded on the One S' $50 price cut seeing as the pound has fallen so much.

Looks smaller than the original Xbone.
Edit
Smallest xbox ever apparently. Also:
"Liquid-cooled vapor chamber (usually used for servers) is going into the console to keep things cool with all that processing power."
Neat

Very surprised at the size, can't believe it's smaller than a One S. Was expecting it to be bigger than the original One.

I guess they really worked hard with the internals (liquid cooling etc). I wonder if it has an external power brick, that might also be how they got it smaller.

I think how impressive that is depends entirely on if they kept the power supply internal like the rumors from a month or so ago.

And original XBox BC, depending on the rollout, is going to be the thing that pushes me over the edge.

xbox_one_x_e3_2017_nick_statt_6.1497230251.jpg

xbox_one_x_e3_2017_nick_statt_4.jpg

xbox_one_x_e3_2017_nick_statt_1.jpg

xbox_one_x_e3_2017_nick_statt_7.jpg

xbox_one_x_e3_2017_nick_statt_8.jpg

I must say that I like the fact they went with a flat black instead of attract-all-of-the-dust-in-the-universe piano black from before.
I have my "attract-all-of-the-dust-in-the-universe" piano black console, on an "attract-all-of-the-dust-in-the-universe" black glass TV stand/entertainment center. It bugs the living 🤬 out of me. I can dust it real good with a microfiber cloth, and two days later it's all dusty again. Horrible choice on my part.

@Aerocoupe @prousonhairy I must be weird but I really like piano gloss black electronics. Yes they are a pain to keep clean and scratch if you even breathe on them but the finish makes everything look so much more premium than matt. The original PS3 looked like Bang & Olufsen had made it!

The One X looks a bit bland and has even less character than the One S. It's too much like any square sat box or other AV device. I wonder if it can be placed vertically with a stand?

XBOX Games Pass will be getting some new games this month including Resident Evil 6, Dead Island Definitive Edition, Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition, The Flame In The Flood, F1 2015, Bard's Gold and Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine.

For GWG, we'll be getting Grow Up & Runbow on XB1 while Kane & Lynch 2 and Lego Pirates of the Caribbean are available for XB360 (and on XB1 through backwards compatibility).

I have my "attract-all-of-the-dust-in-the-universe" piano black console, on an "attract-all-of-the-dust-in-the-universe" black glass TV stand/entertainment center. It bugs the living 🤬 out of me. I can dust it real good with a microfiber cloth, and two days later it's all dusty again. Horrible choice on my part.

Oh you're lucky - I clean mine with a microfiber cloth as well, and despite covering it up properly, it starts to collect dust a few hours later. :rolleyes::lol:

I really hope they announce there will be Dolby Vision available at some point for the One X. After watching a couple of movies in Dolby Vision over the weekend on my new OLED, I was pretty blown away.

Vibrant, bright and at the same time the blacks are really black, and there's great contrast. Some of that's the OLED but I can definitely tell the difference from 4k Hdr and DV. I like it a lot. They both look great, DV is just Dolbys version of HDR, is what I gather. Anyways I hope this is announced.

This is kind of a long deal, but let me set this up. I noted in a Status Update that I was tempted to buy a secondhand XBOX 360 when I was at a secondhand book store this past weekend. I somewhat thought of starting a new gaming experience by going from my PlayStation gaming to the realm of Microsoft and the XBOX. There were even a number of older XBOX 360 and even original XBOX games I wanted to play. If it were up to me, I'd love to expand my Forza Motorsport experience as well as even play the Project Gotham Racing series. And who knows? Maybe I want to educate myself more on the HALO series. Maybe I want to try some more XBOX exclusive series.

Where is the relevance to the XBOX One series in all of this? Well, someone said to me that the XBOX One X is capable of playing original XBOX and XBOX 360 games. So if I was to consider this fully, someone would mention I should simply get an XBOX One and play current XB1 games as well as past XBOX games from past XBOX systems. I am kind of unsure what direction to take here. Not sure if I should invest in an XBOX One or maybe get a secondhand XBOX 360 after being told about the XBOX One X. This would also mean I have to also invest in joining XBOX Live to maximize the experience.

Any of you care to sway my interest or offer some advice here?

This is kind of a long deal, but let me set this up. I noted in a Status Update that I was tempted to buy a secondhand XBOX 360 when I was at a secondhand book store this past weekend. I somewhat thought of starting a new gaming experience by going from my PlayStation gaming to the realm of Microsoft and the XBOX. There were even a number of older XBOX 360 and even original XBOX games I wanted to play. If it were up to me, I'd love to expand my Forza Motorsport experience as well as even play the Project Gotham Racing series. And who knows? Maybe I want to educate myself more on the HALO series. Maybe I want to try some more XBOX exclusive series.

Where is the relevance to the XBOX One series in all of this? Well, someone said to me that the XBOX One X is capable of playing original XBOX and XBOX 360 games. So if I was to consider this fully, someone would mention I should simply get an XBOX One and play current XB1 games as well as past XBOX games from past XBOX systems. I am kind of unsure what direction to take here. Not sure if I should invest in an XBOX One or maybe get a secondhand XBOX 360 after being told about the XBOX One X. This would also mean I have to also invest in joining XBOX Live to maximize the experience.

Any of you care to sway my interest or offer some advice here?
Do you have a 4k UHD televsion, or do you plan on getting one soon? If your answer to either of those is yes, I'd spend the little extra money and get an X-Box One X for sure.

I just bought a 4k UHD television, and bought a 4k UHD blu Ray player to hold me over until the XB1x comes out. The price for any decent 4k UHD Blu Ray player, starts at $250 and goes up. That's half the price of the Xb1x right there, so it's a really good deal to pick the Xb1x (or xbox1s), if you're looking to upgrade to a 4k UHD tv, and need a 4k Blu Ray player.

An Xbox 1s has the 4k Blu Ray player as well, but if I were buying a new one, I'd spend the extra to get the Xb1x for the 4k UHD experience in gaming, and extra power.

Xbox live is $60 a year, but you can find it on sale at times for closer to $40.

Edit: not all original Xbox games or Xbox 360 will be backwards compatible. They are constantly adding to the 360 BC list, but you may want to check what games are BC.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back