The Xbox One Thread - One X & One SXBOne 

• Thread starter Robin
  • 5,072 comments
It's out on GWG now and after playing it for about an hour it does appear that The Offspring and Bad Religion have been removed from the soundtrack, and all the branded locations are also gone.

I got you fam.

This playlist has all the Offspring and Bad Religion found on the arcade/Dreamcast version, plus some more misc. Bad Religion because they are one of my favorite punk bands.

So I have a dilemma. I can get a One S bundle with Forza Horizon 3 for $300 or a One X by itself for $400. Both purchases will give me a free controller as extra. I'm leaning towards the bundle and considering this is my first xbox purchase I have a few questions regarding them.

1: The backwards compatibility is basically, if I want to play a game from the 360 or earlier, I simply insert said game into the Xbone right?
2: Regarding online extras, do all games require a subscription like Playstation Plus to work or do some run without it?
3: What benefits does a Gold subscription have over a normal one if there is any? Does it also have free games every month like PS plus?
4: Are there any issues or problems that I need to be aware of?
5: What recommendation do you guys have as far as games or misc. things that I should know?
6: If there's anything else I should know please do tell. I new to this system so I only know what I got from online sources.

If possible I'd like to get answers soon as the specials end within a few days. Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

1: The backwards compatibility is basically, if I want to play a game from the 360 or earlier, I simply insert said game into the Xbone right?

So long as it's one of the games they've made compatible, yes. They have also made some BC titles 1X Enhanced.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility

2: Regarding online extras, do all games require a subscription like Playstation Plus to work or do some run without it?

I don't know what all PS Plus covers, but anything where you play other players directly online needs gold. Things like Rivals mode in Forza don't need it.

3: What benefits does a Gold subscription have over a normal one if there is any? Does it also have free games every month like PS plus?

There are 4 free games every month, two XB1 titles and 2 360 titles that are backwards compatible. Gold users also get slightly bigger discounts and early access to sales. There are also smaller deals only available to Gold users every month.

18764_GWG_16x9_MAR-hero.png

4: Are there any issues or problems that I need to be aware of?

The controller only comes with a couple AA batteries so either invest in some rechargeable batteries or stock up.

6: If there's anything else I should know please do tell. I new to this system so I only know what I got from online sources.

I find that the system tends to slow down after awhile if you have it set to "Always On" so I would recommend doing a hard reset once a week or so to clear out all the background stuff.

Personally I would suggest going with the 1X. Forza games seem to be on sale fairly often and given the last couple years FH2 will probably be a Games with Gold title a month or two before FH4 releases (they also do big discounts on the previous games during this time).

Game Pass just got updated and it is looking great

Cities Skylines
Cluster Truck
Late Shift
Kingdom: New Lands
Portal Knights
Sacred Citadel (X360 BC)
The Hunter: Call of the Wild

I’d say it’s definitely worth it for Cities Skylines alone (which is also 50% off in the store)

And this months GWG lineup looks good as well

Assassins Creed Syndicate
Cars 2
Dead Space 3
The Witness

Heads up, Burnout Revenge is now Xbox One backwards compatible. 360 version. 9.99 American, 12.99 Canadian.

If this gets an enhanced 4K patch, would this be considered Burnout Revenge Remastered Remastered? :P

For those who don't get it, the Xbox 360 port was enhanced over the Xbox/PS2 release.

Wait, how does this work?

When the game first came out in ‘06(?) on the 360, someone had the bright idea of offering DLC cars through the in-store 360 demo kiosks.
The idea was that the consumer would buy an official X360 memory card, take it to the store, insert it in the kiosk slot, and download the exclusive content. Needless to say, it died without a trace.
However, I went to the trouble to collect all the cars, and if it’s possible to get them onto the One via USB, I’ll share them. Haven’t tried it yet because I don’t own a 256gb flash drive, which is the minimum requirement.

So, I have been playing Burnout Revenge for a bit. Now full disclosure, this is the first time I have played it on 360, pretty much used to it on PS2.

- Near instant load times and music playing during said load times is really nice

- Draw distance and being able to see things coming makes Burning Lap events a breeze

- Really wish I could remap controls to make it something close to what I'm used to on Playstation, but whatever.

- Seems really hard to get a takedown on this version specifically. Putting my weight into the other guy sometimes feels like a crap shoot.

- Actual Crashbreaker levels on non-Crash vehicles! Sweet.

I'm so glad gaming graphics has moved on from the "bloom all the things" era in the late 00's, the post-processing effects has meant the visuals of this game have aged quite a bit, arguably more so than the PS2/Xbox version. With that said, it's still huge fun and the resolution boost does complement the visuals in low light situations:
full

And I echo @Silver Arrows 's thoughts on the new loading times (the rapidness is incredibly satisfying! 👍 ) and takedowns. Coming from Burnout Paradise, it feels weird having to shove cars into the wall rather than just tapping them, but it is more rewarding to land a takedown.

I'm probably being slow but I just bought a used copy of Forza 7 on eBay and then realised it's the first used game I've bought for this generation of consoles, so it will work won't it? What I mean by that is that I bought Forza 6 new when I got the console, and it was installed completely from the disc, and no longer requires the disc present. So if the previous owner of this copy of Forza 7 did the same, what's to stop folks from installing the game and then selling it on? Or is that copy of the game locked to their console now and won't work on mine? I know, total noob question but figured here is as good a place as any to ask =)

I'm probably being slow but I just bought a used copy of Forza 7 on eBay and then realised it's the first used game I've bought for this generation of consoles, so it will work won't it? What I mean by that is that I bought Forza 6 new when I got the console, and it was installed completely from the disc, and no longer requires the disc present. So if the previous owner of this copy of Forza 7 did the same, what's to stop folks from installing the game and then selling it on? Or is that copy of the game locked to their console now and won't work on mine? I know, total noob question but figured here is as good a place as any to ask =)
I’ve never heard of Games locked to consoles after installing, or even not needing the disc once it’s installed either. You should definitely still be able to install it.

Sometimes an installed game will launch without needing a disc, but it won’t last. They are all supposed to “phone home” to MS every time to verify a disc is in the tray.

Sometimes an installed game will launch without needing a disc, but it won’t last. They are all supposed to “phone home” to MS every time to verify a disc is in the tray.

Yeah oddly my Forza 6 seems to never require the disc, however the used Forza 7 I got does, but is golden with it, and a new copy of PCars 2 also needs the disc present...strange.

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, and it is slightly old news, they did get around to adding a fair few more Original Xbox games for BC on the One, including Panzer Dragoon Orta, SWBF I & II, MX Unleashed (But not MXvATVU yet), Blinx, Conker Reloaded, Jade Empire, Mercenaries, SSX 3 and others. for a total of 25 games, up from 8 or 9. Here's hoping they keep this going. Also, if a game as obscure as Panzer Elite Action: Fields of Glory can make the cut, let's hope other underappreciated greats like MechAssault, Metal Arms, Phantom Crash and Jet Set Radio Future are on their way, and if they can get the licensing sorted, one or more of the great Xbox-exclusive racing games (PGR2, RalliSport Challenge 2, Midtown Madness 3)

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, and it is slightly old news, they did get around to adding a fair few more Original Xbox games for BC on the One, including Panzer Dragoon Orta, SWBF I & II, MX Unleashed (But not MXvATVU yet), Blinx, Conker Reloaded, Jade Empire, Mercenaries, SSX 3 and others. for a total of 25 games, up from 8 or 9. Here's hoping they keep this going. Also, if a game as obscure as Panzer Elite Action: Fields of Glory can make the cut, let's hope other underappreciated greats like MechAssault, Metal Arms, Phantom Crash and Jet Set Radio Future are on their way, and if they can get the licensing sorted, one or more of the great Xbox-exclusive racing games (PGR2, RalliSport Challenge 2, Midtown Madness 3)

I knew about SSX 3, but I didn't know about Mercenaries. And also, I seriously doubt that we're going to get any of the racing games you mentioned, especially not the PGR games. MS seems hellbent on basically erasing any history from Bizarre since they cut them loose, and the rise of Playground, which is sad.

Should also mention that Splinter Cell Conviction is coming to Games with Gold later this month. So that raises my hope that Blacklist will soon be added to 360 backwards compatibility on the One.

Question is the xb1 controller a plug and play on pc?

Kinda sick and tired of these cheap 3rd party controllers that break within a week. :(:banghead:

It is, but if your luck is anything like mine it won’t solve the second part (I got about a year from my first one and my current one only had a working microphone jack for about a month). :lol:

Hi guys does anyone know if there is a way to stop the xbox one dimming the screen, ive been in the preferences and idle options, you can only select up to an hour before it dims the screen, anyway to turn it off? thanks....As im doing timelapse video recording, i can only do an hour at a time..

And of course I already bought FC2 and got the silenced shotgun and the explosive crossbow from the DLC.

So I am playing Mercenaries now for anyone that cares. The old cheat codes still work!

Edit: After playing the game for a bit, I'm fairly certain that it runs at 60 FPS considering that it is running much faster then I remember it running. A lot of the character models are better looking, for sure, but some of the background textures are iffy in how they are uprezzed.

Last edited:
VXR
Definitely going to jump on FC2. Always been interested in the setting, but not being an FPS person, I never bought it.

Honestly? It's not as great as people like to make it out to be. It's an interesting science experiment - a bridge between modern Far Cry from 3 onward. But it isn't fun. you're basically doing the same thing: helping buddies in missions, driving everywhere, getting attacked from enemies, and yeah.

There's some interesting ideas, but it's pretty obvious that Far Cry 3 is the better game based strictly on gameplay.

I'm looking forward to trying WRC 6, I was thinking about buying it recently. It will be interesting to see how it runs on the XB1X, I think it's an unlocked frame rate title so maybe it will run at or near 60fps..

Back