Think u r good in GT4? Think again! 5min34sec ride of ur life!

• Thread starter shin8
  • 234 comments
There are certain things that a simulator simply cannot simulate for number of years:

1. Tire is still the key component of a simulator. GT tire simulation is not sophisticated enough to realistically represent 'real' tire. A proper tire simulation MUST have and SHOW temperature and pressure. Tire changes after 3 laps in GT3? Come on, that is just silly. If GT soft tires are used, any car becomes a super cornering car. If you would like more realistic times, it should be done on Simulation, normal, or sports tires. Racing tires in GT offers unrealically excessive grip.

2. Actual aerodynamic forces that change and affect different parts of the car including the undertray, diffusers, splitters, vanes, changing wind conditions, outside temperatures, angle of attack, etc. I am 'guessing' that GT simulates downforce based on 2 factors: vehicle speed and overall vehicle geometry. This is a gross simplification which would result not in additional downforce, but 'consistent' downforce that you can count on.

3. Already mentioned above, the 'real' sense of speed comes from peripheral vision, not the focused spot in centre of your view. If you actually 'stare' at an object, you will notice that only about 10cm (4") diameter is actually in focus and readable. This only represents 10% of your total view at best. Everything around it start to become blurry. Sensation of speed comes from 'changes' in what you see, which is 90% of the view that you are not focusing on. In driving real cars, I get scared accelerating and cornering hard. And that's all under 100 km/h! On TVs and monitors, you lose this sensation because only about 20~30% of your view is affected (maybe more if you are sitting 3 feet away from 50" screen). Players will be much more braver in simulation.

4. Try driving on snowy/icy road without ABS or traction control. That gives you an 'idea' of what you could be doing on real life race track at higher speeds (understeer and overshoot).

5. No g-force effects. Not only will it knock you around the corners, you would not dare go over any sharp or 'cut' corners because it will affect you physically as well as visually. Without the physical punishment affecting your driving, you will be much more braver in simulation than in real life.

Anyways, just to state a few reasons why real life driving is much much more difficult than how it appears on simulations. Eating an apple on computer would be much different than eating one in real life. There is that much difference in driving/racing as well.

Rabbi_Doom
I am planning my own test of how realistic this game is. I have a video of Dirk Schoysman (broke the production car lap record for the nurburgring back in the 80's) doing a lap of the 12.9 mile northern loop in a 600 hp nissan skyline. I'm gonna try and get the specs as close as i can for a skyline in the game and then compare the two side by side. Basicly see if I can have sloppy lines and still keep up. The northern loop is very old and lumpy so it will be interesting to see where a driver slows down for fear of damage to his car/personal injury and where I just blast right through it with no fear at all.

BTW i really like the racing suit idea. Nice touch with the acid.

Cool - where did you get this video?

ie. Internet, official product from Nissan etc???

p.s

I have 'Faszination On The Nurburgring' featuring the Ruf CTR Yellowbird - awesome! lots of oversteer :) -

I've ordered a DVD from Ruf whichs includes the video above + a new video featuring the recently released Ruf R Turbo. Same driver @ the ring....can't wait to see it! :)

people who keep saying that this is unrealistic need to realize no one in thier right minds would drive like such a maniac on the ring, hitting concrete walls at 200+ miles an hour will really ruin your day. that being said, DAMN! that was fast...

That C9 looks like it has significantly more power than the race spec (720 PS). It also looks to have those crazy soft tyres you can get in GT3/GT4. Also, the driver has the advantage that his car does not 'take flight' where it would in real life.

With regards to realism, I would be less concerned about the laptimes' correlation with real life, and more concerned with the handling feel of the game.

I guess that is the demonstration. Demonst is always faster then the gold medal. So i doubt if it's a person driving.. Going to check the Demonstration video later today. :P

And if it is a person... uhrr... sick. :)

I wish I'd have a counter on my site somewhere.

First off, that's my link the guy posted. It sounds as if he got it off another forum and was thinking he was showing us for the first time... I guess this link has spread to other forums as well.

As for the guy who says it was the license test demo... No it wasn't. The demo only shows you how to get slightly better than gold. This was a real person driving as he knocked off quite a few seconds (haven't seen it in a while but I think it's around 13 or 17 seconds under gold).

I can't believe how much that vid has been watched, I wish I had a bandwidth counter or something...

Good ol' Comcast, I love how they give you 25mb of unlimited bandwidth webspace! 👍

Mister E
As for the guy who says it was the license test demo... No it wasn't. The demo only shows you how to get slightly better than gold. This was a real person driving as he knocked off quite a few seconds (haven't seen it in a while but I think it's around 13 or 17 seconds under gold).

Ah ok, saves me the time of watching the demonstratoin. :)

N.J.
Cool - where did you get this video?

ie. Internet, official product from Nissan etc???

p.s

I have 'Faszination On The Nurburgring' featuring the Ruf CTR Yellowbird - awesome! lots of oversteer :) -

I've ordered a DVD from Ruf whichs includes the video above + a new video featuring the recently released Ruf R Turbo. Same driver @ the ring....can't wait to see it! :)

If you have heard of bittorrent then you are in luck. If not i suggest you research it and download a bittorrent client and then click this link ( http://bi-torrent.com/156.htm ) and download the Nissan Skyline GT-R story. It's on a public track day so dirk couldn't go quite as fast as he wanted and plus the suspesion was a little bit too stiff for the ring but he still does manage to get the car up to 185-190 mph in a few spots and dirk knows the skyline and the track very well. I think it will be an interesting comparo.

NO, I've just watched the demo on my Japanese version and that video from the link, back to back, they are the same THING.

Both finish at exactly the same time 5.34.332, and all the on/off the brakes with left foot breaking is the same, the hitting the apexs is the same, slightely slipping out of the Carousel corner 3/4 of the way through is the same, please somebody else watch the demo and see???

As for if the demos are people or AI, the story I heard, and I don't know if it's right, but I'm sure I read it in a KY interview is that the programmer with the best time becomes the demo driver, and his run goes in the game, that's not to say that the time for gold is taken from that, they must take weeks if not months to come up with just the right times for people to try over and over again to get, but still be able to get in the end.

Mercedes SLR
Yeah but you can hardly simulate death in a games console after all, it is entertainment!

Yes, but entertainment (obviously) means different things to different people. Having worked on some proper simulations in the past, one of the things we discussed was whether or not in season mode, if you had a big shunt, you would have to miss some races, or if very severe perhaps the whole of the rest of the season.

It's pretty severe perhaps, but also if not "real" then at least "closer to real". The point is not, as with the famed "racing suit" (see earlier in the thread!), to simulate the after effects, but to promote the "before effects" - to force you to drive as you actually would in real life, with both awareness and fear of the consequences.

One thing I liked in Grand Prix Legends was the damage model, which was very "1967 like". You could brush a barrier occasionally and maybe get away with it, but sometimes it would throw your suspension out of alignment, Over-rev your engine and it "might" be okay, but sometimes it would be damaged and you'd be down on power. Race not necessarily over in these circumstances, but very much compromised. It forces your thinking to simulate a race driver, and if you fluff a gearshift and over-rev your engine, you genuinely would be cursing yourself, and listening careful with prayer for a couple of laps to see if you'd damaged it. That's pretty real!

You don't necessarily need to simulate the effects of a crash to promote the simulated racing behaviour....but I still like the racing suit! :)

I change my earleir post.

That isn't reallly realistic. A lot of the those corners the car went around would have resulted in injury in real life.

That isn't possible.

EGFerio
That was one hell of a lap. I can see that there is room for a better time may be i the high 5:20's or low 5:30's.

Hell that lap'd do me man! :eek:

Though with every intention to master the Nord's I intend to go below that time... one day... hopefully... please...

EGFerio
I don't think their is anyone on this planet dares to drive like that in real life!

I think you'll find the 24hr drivers do it for um... 24 hours straight! :eek:

Mister E

No, you're wrong. I own it, been there, done that. IT's the test demo. End of story and enjoy your tea, if there's anything that GT4 doesn't need right now, it's rumor of some super driver, lol.

tha_con
No, you're wrong. I own it, been there, done that. IT's the test demo. End of story and enjoy your tea, if there's anything that GT4 doesn't need right now, it's rumor of some super driver, lol.

A superdriver who is 9 seconds slower than Flinx.

Back