Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter Thread

Which mode do you mostly use with your TH8A?

• Total voters
GUYS PLEASE HELP MY TH8A IS STARTING TO GET ALL NOTCHY AND CLICKY AND FEELS LIKE **** ITS HAPPENED TO ME WITH TWO OF THEM ..i dont even shift that hard infact i shifted lightly on this one because i was scared of it getting notchy and it did anyways has this happened to you and have u fixed it

It just needs to be lubed. The shifter is pretty easy to take appart and there's not much worry of breaking it or anything. Purchase some molybdenum (moly) grease and put in on the part that *clicks* into gear inside. You'll see it, you can't miss it. The shifter will operate better than new.

It just needs to be lubed. The shifter is pretty easy to take appart and there's not much worry of breaking it or anything. Purchase some molybdenum (moly) grease and put in on the part that *clicks* into gear inside. You'll see it, you can't miss it. The shifter will operate better than new.
thank you for the advice x) i had thaught of that but im a bit scared of fudging it up. iv had some pretty bad luck with opening up thrustmaster products in the past

Oh, you'd have to be pretty ham fisted or lose some screws in the process to mess this one up. :) You just need to separate that big metal bottom part from the top. Then you'll see the insides. From there, move the shifter into some gears so you can see the little ball detent piece. It's hard for me to describe and I don't have time to take a pic for you. You'll see it. Move the shifter so you can see it, then put some lube on there. You'll see where they had lubed it already, likely with some white grease. Put yours on there, move it around a bit, put some more on, then reassemble. It'll be excellent afterwards. I've been meaning to do a video on this but just haven't had the time. :(

DO NOT USE WD-40! It's not a lubricant! You need grease for this, otherwise it won't last and you'll be doing it again in a few days.

Hey MrBasher I contacted you through your website about a short shaft but got no reply in 5 weeks are you still making them? Also I found this on a website saying it would make a good short shaft for the shifter but I wont get shipping info until it ships does this mean I can accept or decline before it ships or will it just charge me? http://www.essentracomponents.com/sku/GLS-135?itm=gls-135

Shipping can be expensive to Australia depending on the seller.

I apologize for missing your email :(

I am not making them but currently in the process of organizing them getting made for me. It's simply too time consuming for me to do it myself

New to the forum. Been using the TH8A for a few weeks and would like to upgrade the knob to something weighted. Any consensus on a way to get a custom knob on it?

Is anyone producing M9 x 1.25 threaded knobs? Are there any adapters that will work? Any replacement shafts (for that matter, does the shaft on the TH8A come off like on the TH8RS?)?

hey guys, just bought a th8a shifter and looking to find some 6 speed custom plates and shifter knops, can someone help me. :confused: :nervous:

Recently installed a custom shift knob on my Thrustmaster TH8A. It's the Skunk2 627-99-0081 6-speed shift knob...

http://store.skunk2.com/accessories/shift-knobs/shift-knob-714.html

It has an M10 x 1.5mm thread but fits the apparent M9 x 1.25mm thread on the TH8A just fine. Obviously this is not a perfect match, but it fits so snug (and has held that way for over a week through use) that it hardly requires an adapter. I did insert a piece of a straw (cut the long way so it wraps around the circumference of the shaft) to pad it further and give a bit more protection to the threads, though I removed the knob to check for thread damage and found none.

I'm extremely impressed with the knob, especially the ergonomics, and how solid and hefty it is. It feels much better than the stock ball knob in every way - for the first time it doesn't feel like a toy. It's weighted well, essentially 1 lbs. Throwing it gives a nice assist and makes shifting smoother.

Highly recommended. Enjoy the pictures.

thrustmaster-th8a_skunk2-custom-shift-knob_01.jpeg
thrustmaster-th8a_skunk2-custom-shift-knob_02.jpeg
thrustmaster-th8a_skunk2-custom-shift-knob_03.jpeg

Whoow... got mine today. Very happy with the looks (as usual with Patrick's stuff).
Still have to install it and I'll let you know my findings.
;)

OK, I will quote @Gunstar findings here, to make it easier for me :D

Gunstar
So Patrick used to make custom TH8A and TH8RS shifter gates under the name Right On Gates. He stopped, and I was disappointed because I REALLY wanted his sequential plate, BUT they're not cheap, and I didn't have an OG plastic gate to be a spring donor. When I was moving and while I wasn't on the boards often he offered me a spring, but I missed it... and by the time I was back he was done making gates! Eventually I got a replacement TM gate and started using it, and out of nowhere he reached out to me and asked if I still wanted a sequential gate, as he was doing a small custom order and would work one in for me. I of course, couldn't say no!

So to make Patrick's gate work, you need to steal the spring from the stock plastic gate and install it on the "Right On Gates" (henceforth ROG) gate. Since Patrick includes the allen wrenches you need that was very easy. Then there are 2 screws on the up and down shift sides of the spring housing of the ROG gate you can use to adjust travel somewhat. Once you fiddle those to where you want them you just reassemble the shifter as you normally would and take it for a spin.

I had noticed that when I would use the stock sequential gate, it had a little squeaking sound. With the ROG sequential gate in place, no such issue. While the overall feel isn't much different, the ROG gate makes it feel sharper, more concise, and it even gives you a small kind of "click" sound when you hit the stops rather than the dull thump of the plastic gate. It really does makes shifting much more satisfying. About the only thing I dislike is that the screw that is used to push down the "Sequential Mode Button" on the shifter sticks up a little more on the top side than I'd prefer, but I suppose I could just file it down if I ever feel the need.

Ultimately, the Right On Gates Sequential Shifter Gate doesn't make the TH8A/TH8RS gods gift to sequential shifting... but it does make a solid "jack of all trades" better at that specific trade for sure! And there is no doubt it sure looks cool!
I agree on all this (the "push down the sequential mode button" screw indeed sticks up a little, but as you say, easy to file down if you want, but it does not bother me.
I just wonder if it would be useful to put some Loctite on it, to keep it at the right distance. Not that it moves, but it turns so light...
I had the same squeaking sound with the stock plastic gate, but I think that came from the steel spring on the plastic housing. No squeaking any more with the ROG gate with its la housing. I also like the travel adjusting screws. I set the downshift a bit shorter than the upshift.
You now distinctively feel when you shift (up & down) and the acoustic clicks when you hit the stops are helpful too.

It is a very nice piece of work and I would like to thank Patrick again for making some more 👍👍👍

Hi guys,
I'm just about to pull the trigger but would like to ask if anyone is/has used it as a handbrake ? The reason for my asking is since using my T300RS wheel, I'm missing an actual pull lever for handbrake (I was using my old Logitech DFGT's shift lever for this purpose), and mapping a button on the 300 wheel just isn't comfortable, natural or practical for me.
I'd like to further ask if the shifter is indeed able to be mapped this way (in sequential mode obviously), separately from the paddles which I'll be using for gear changing. Ill be using it predominantly for GT6 on the PS3 for the time being until Pcars is released.
I know it seems a bit of a waste to use it in this way, but in the fullness of time, I'll most likely get the T3PA or T3PA-PRO pedal set and then use the shifter in H mode and try configure a separate handbrake lever if possible.
So, in short, I'm open to suggestions on how to either map the TH8A or a solution for adding a stand alone handbrake.
Thanks in advance.

The TH8A formally has three modes: (1) H-box: 7 speeds plus reverse (2) sequential: up and down (3) analog handbrake.

Sadly for PS3 you can only use the TH8A in modes (1) and (2). Mode (3) is only functional on the PC: http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=1&fid=2&pid=378&cid=15

"Analog mode:

The "ANALOG" tab is visible in the device's Control Panel. When checked, the axis located in the neutral row becomes a progressive axis, enabling you to emulate a Rally style handbrake (you can then pull the lever from position 3/4 to position 7/R to alter values progressively).

- PC compatible only
- Doesn't operate when the sequential shift plate is installed
- Can be recalibrated as required using the calibration software

Be careful! When the "ANALOG" tab is checked, this setting is automatically saved to the shifter's internal memory; to revert to the H (7+1) or Sequential (-/+) modes, or to connect the device to a PlayStation®3, the tab must be unchecked."

Saying that, I have tried using my TH8A shifter in sequential mode with the pull direction as a "digital" handbrake and that works fine in all the rally sims I own (DiRT 2/3, RBR being the key ones), and was also fine in AC for drifting when I tried it there. You should be able to map that in GT6 too, I assume (never tried).

P.S. I should note that because using the TH8A as a separate USB device means it is separate from the paddle shifters. So you can map sequential +/- to the paddles and map handbrake to the TH8A sequential axis separately.

Last edited:
Saying that, I have tried using my TH8A shifter in sequential mode with the pull direction as a "digital" handbrake and that works fine in all the rally sims I own.

P.S. I should note that because using the TH8A as a separate USB device means it is separate from the paddle shifters. So you can map sequential +/- to the paddles and map handbrake to the TH8A sequential axis separately.

Thanks skazz for the comprehensive explanation, more than helpful.
I will be using it as a digital handbrake in sequential mode as this is what I was used to with the DFGT. In fact, I mapped the pull direction as handbrake and the push as reverse, which I'm hoping I'll be able to do with the TH8.
Your P.S comment is a slight cause for my concern as I'll be plugging the shifter into the T300 wheel and not the USB on the PS3 and 4.
Do you think this will still allow me to map it as I wish, or am I better getting a USB hub to connect it ?
Thanks again.

I haven't tried hooking mine up directly to my T300, not sure if it maps to the same button as the paddles, sorry.

My TH8A is configured in H mode right now so not that quick to check... But I might find time to have a look this weekend (since I intend to switch it to sequential to play some DiRT 3 non-GFWL edition).

Cheers for that. If you do get the chance I'd appreciate it, but don't go out of your way on my account.
I'll bite the bullet and get it anyways as I'll definitely be using it in H shift mode with PCars. Just got to save my pennies for the T3PA pedals. Hopefully my good lady wife will be understanding enough to postpone the new washing machine she wants ! I've told her we're not spending on frivolous items this year :)

Edit :
Well, I've got one on order from The Hut http://www.thehut.com/xbox-one-acce...shifter-for-ps4-xbox-one-ps3-pc/11073267.html A bit of a bargain for those interested in buying one as its £20 cheaper than Amazon and £40 less than from Thrust master online shop.
P.S. I'm in no way affiliated with The Hut, just thought I'd share what I think is a very good deal.

Last edited:
Having a problem, received my TH8A yesterday, updated my TX wheel and hooked everything up. Fire up Forza and the shifter isn't working. Disconnect everything, update firmware again, still nothing. Check the wheel properties on my pc with the shifter connected to the wheel and it's like it's not recognized. If I hookup the shifter straight to my pc with the USB cable that works. Anybody have any ideas?!?!?!

Having a problem, received my TH8A yesterday, updated my TX wheel and hooked everything up. Fire up Forza and the shifter isn't working. Disconnect everything, update firmware again, still nothing. Check the wheel properties on my pc with the shifter connected to the wheel and it's like it's not recognized. If I hookup the shifter straight to my pc with the USB cable that works. Anybody have any ideas?!?!?!
Just a thought: did you try to connect your TH8A directly via usb to your PS ?
See if that works... ?

I think you need to go into settings on FORZA and enable the shifter. I remember ISR had the same issue.

Having own this for months now, finally decided to rubber band mod my TH8A and it feels so much better with the stiffness.

I have the TH8A on order (I know big surprise ) , is the rubber band mod really needed or is it good enough with the tension screw ?

I have the TH8A on order (I know big surprise ) , is the rubber band mod really needed or is it good enough with the tension screw ?

Definetly rubber band mod especially if you use h-pattern. It makes it feel like shifters from Daytona arcade.

Just bought this shifter, and I would like to get a short shift plate with 6 speed. Anyone who knows a place I can get one? Right on gates don't make them anymore have I heard :-(

Back