Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter Thread

Which mode do you mostly use with your TH8A?

• Total voters
SEQ plate an easy fit for us noobs?:dopey:
I will have to wait a few weeks before they get delivered, but as far as I heard you use the spring from the original plastic plate. Installing that on the new @patrickd018 's plate seems to be somewhat more difficult, than removing it from the original. But it should not pose a problem.

I will have to wait a few weeks before they get delivered, but as far as I heard you use the spring from the original plastic plate. Installing that on the new @patrickd018 's plate seems to be somewhat more difficult, than removing it from the original. But it should not pose a problem.
Thanks let us know how you get on when you receive it.👍

The spring fits into a box under the plate. Its pretty straightforward.
Just make sure you orient the spring same way it was in the OEM plate.

@patrickd018's plate also has adjustments for the spring's tension.

There is also a small set screw for the TH8 sensor to recognize it's in seq. mode.
The set screw has same function as the small knob molded into underside of OEM plate.

You may or may not have to fiddle with set screw's adjustment.
I had to screw it down a couple more turns on TH8A than on TH8RS.

Last edited:
The spring fits into a box under the plate. Its pretty straightforward.
Just make sure you orient the spring same way it was in the OEM plate.

@patrickd018's plate also has adjustments for the spring's tension.

There is also a small set screw for the TH8 sensor to recognize its in seq. mode.
The set screw has same function as the small knob molded into underside of OEM plate.

You may or may not have to fiddle with set screw's adjustment.
I had to screw it down a couple more turns on TH8A than on TH8RS.
Thanks for the info Jogo.:cheers:

Hi guys, Just a quick message to let you know that I decided to stop making my custom plates for the TH8 shifter. Sorry for those who were expecting a new production run but I prefer to stop.

I decided to put an end to the project but i'll stay available for those of you who would like custom parts for their rig.

See you on the track! :)

I'm a very happy and satisfied customer and the quality of work is amazing. For whatever reason you decide to end this, I hope all the best for your future endeavours. The TH8A/THRS will never be the same without your custom plates.

Last edited:
Thrustmaster site says stock back in on the 10th of February so worth a look in a few days. :)
Maybe a misunderstanding ?
I was talking about the custom plates for the TH8A.
The shifter itself is in my possession, works great, bit I want 6sp short throw & sequential plates for it.
@patrickd018 stopped making them just after I ordered some.

Maybe a misunderstanding ?
I was talking about the custom plates for the TH8A.
The shifter itself is in my possession, works great, bit I want 6sp short throw & sequential plates for it.
@patrickd018 stopped making them just after I ordered some.
Ah my bad yes crossed wires:dunce: yeah I see the website is no more :( Sure he'll come good seemed an honest fella :)

Ah my bad yes crossed wires:dunce: yeah I see the website is no more :( Sure he'll come good seemed an honest fella :)
Just to say: I did order but did not have to pay yet, because he was out of stock and had to make new. So no problem there 👍
It's just that I love these plates and I can find nobody else who is fabricating them...

Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter Review by The Simpit

Please note at min 3:00 he states that the shaft is standard thread size...
...that allows installation of after-market knobs. :confused:

This is incorrect, I own both the TH8RS and TH8A.
Both have M9 x 1.25 threads for the knob.

This is not a standard size, no after-market knobs fit this...
...they might if you jerry-rig or force fit either an adapter or the knob on...
...or get lucky with one of the adapters that come with some after-market knobs. :lol:

The M9x1.25 thread size is why there is a market for @mrbasher's custom shafts. 👍
Same reason I'll get another custom shaft so I can also use an after-market knob for my TH8A. :)

Same reason, custom knobs to fit stock TH8 shafts by productinnovations.com have a market.
Just trawl backwards through the TH8RS thread to see some purchased by GTP members.

-----------------------------------------------
EDIT: For those who recently got TH8As...

• There is a wealth of info about TH8 shaft sizes, custom plates and knobs on TH8RS thread...
...if you take the time to trawl backwards through the posts.

Last edited:
Enjoyed this review @JogoAsobi 👍

Brings me to a question:

I was (as stated in earlier posts) looking for a short throw plate for my TH8A. But this review made me think. The gear positions have a light "locked" feeling. What if you use a short throw plate ? Will the lever still engage and stay in place ?

Enjoyed this review @JogoAsobi 👍

Brings me to a question:

I was (as stated in earlier posts) looking for a short throw plate for my TH8A. But this review made me think. The gear positions have a light "locked" feeling. What if you use a short throw plate ? Will the lever still engage and stay in place ?

Yes, and that is also what the TH8 calibration utility is for.

@Fanapryde , did you notice what he said at minute 13:56 about the sequential plate?
He said it has a noticeable "pop" to "give it that proper sequential feel". :odd:

Reason there was demand for @patrickd018's recently-discontinued all metal sequential plate...
...was because it improved on almost total lack of tactile feedback OEM plastic plate has. :lol:

In fact, when @patrickd018 announced his all-metal seq. plate back in May of 2014...
... its the reason I inquired about its tactile feedback on TH8RS thread, & why I got one.

Even with @patrickd018's all-metal seq. plate there is no "pop" or "click"...
...but its metal-on-metal construction provides improved tactile...
...unlike the stock plastic plate which absorbs or dampens the tactile. :irked:

There's no damn "pop" or "click" with TM's OEM plastic seq. plate, prove me wrong. :lol: :lol:
This is a big reason I take these marketing-flavored reviews with a grain a salt. :sly:

Last edited:
@JogoAsobi , yes I did notice him talking about that, but I don't really remember feeling this "pop".
Will try again tomorrow with an open mind. My first impression may have been "influenced" by several posts I read.
I did not like the sight of the black plastic though... :crazy:

Yeah, the stock sequential action is moving the shaft against the spring. It feels and works fine, but not hugely tactile. No big clunk or click.

In comparison the H action is much more satisfying, with the shaft unmistakeably snicking into gear.... to the point that I have decided to leave mine in H mode and just use paddles when I want to run sequential, because H mode is so "fun" to use.

Yeah, the stock sequential action is moving the shaft against the spring. It feels and works fine, but not hugely tactile. No big clunk or click.

In comparison the H action is much more satisfying, with the shaft unmistakeably snicking into gear.... to the point that I have decided to leave mine in H mode and just use paddles when I want to run sequential, because H mode is so "fun" to use.
I agree completely with this.
Gave it a new "open minded" try a moment ago and - fun as it is - there is NO "pop" or "click" or whatever proof that you changed a gear.

Can anyone point me to a neat handle for handbrake use?

Does ANYONE still sell a handbrake plate??

Or if someone has a Sequential Plate they might have taken the spring out of (for a Right on Gates plate for example) that they can part with, I can probably mod it into a handbrake plate. Let me know!!

If someone can make a metal sequential plate, like the one Right on Gates used to make, you can have my black plastic (?) one...

This is not a standard size, no after-market knobs fit this...
...they might if you jerry-rig or force fit either an adapter or the knob on...
...or get lucky with one of the adapters that come with some after-market knobs.

I used the aftermarket Razo knob adapters in conjunction with some rubber washers and works pretty well to secure the Razo knob in place and quite happy with length of the shaft.

My recently purchased TH8A shifter makes a fairly loud clicking sound when shifting from 3rd gear to neutral, and a slightly audiable click for all the other gears except 1st, 2nd, and reverse where there is no clicking sound shifting to neutral. Is this normal?

Hi guys, Here I have a couple shifter plates left in stock available for sale at 49$ a piece:
-1x 6 Speed ST
-1X 6 Speed
-1X 5 Speed
-1X 5 Speed (painted flat black but finish not perfect so I let it go as-is for the same price as a standard brushed plate 👍)

Let me know thru pm.

Cheers!

plates5-6-6st-5b.png

For those who wanted to get these last wonderful plates ...

GUYS PLEASE HELP MY TH8A IS STARTING TO GET ALL NOTCHY AND CLICKY AND FEELS LIKE **** ITS HAPPENED TO ME WITH TWO OF THEM ..i dont even shift that hard infact i shifted lightly on this one because i was scared of it getting notchy and it did anyways has this happened to you and have u fixed it

GUYS PLEASE HELP MY TH8A IS STARTING TO GET ALL NOTCHY AND CLICKY AND FEELS LIKE **** ITS HAPPENED TO ME WITH TWO OF THEM ..i dont even shift that hard infact i shifted lightly on this one because i was scared of it getting notchy and it did anyways has this happened to you and have u fixed it
I don't know, not a steering wheel user. My only suggestion is to send it in for repairs.

Back