Time Trial #56

Im wandering if its a track specific freezing bug, as I've experienced it without being online at trial mountain.

I haven't run this tt yet, BUT I am running trial mountain in the wrs this week (gt practice mode) it only seems to freeze if I load my old ghost, then do a few laps - look at the sector times in the replay viewer, and then when I get back on the track it freezes on the start/finish line.

Never experienced it on any other track, and run tts at this track before without it happening...weird
Could be then. Not realised it was happening offline, Oh dear.

I had exactly the same issue a few times, at the finish line the game freezes and have to close the game, loosing all changes. Now after a good lap I close the game so it will save my changes.
It's happening to me at other parts of the track aswell as the start/finish line, at one point i quit to make an adjustment and instead of the menu i got a black screen with a GT5 logo in the bottom right corner and froze.

Losing interest in this event now, i just dont want the hassle of booting back up again. It must have happend about 6 times today.

I see all the usual suspects are getting on well but I find this to be one of the harder tracks. I think this amount of blind corners would be hard even without the heavy reliance on the BRO technique. Grrr

I noticed that eight of the current top ten Lamborghini drivers are using Active Steering on Strong. I have always thought this setting to make cars understeer more. Four wheel drive cars understeer enough already in the game, so seems counter intuitive to me. Am I missing out on faster lap times by not using Active Steering?

Edit: Answering my own question with some testing. Grab your favorite drift tune, turn Active Steering to Strong and move rapidly up the rankings. I am working with a LP 640-4 Superveloce '09 and doing every tuning trick that I know to make the car loose. I watched the replay of the current leader 1:29.851 and he barely touches the brakes. Though his lines are super smoothe, the tires smoke on most corners. Will post my tune with Active Steering as soon as I get bored with chasing my ghost around.

Last edited:
I noticed that eight of the current top ten Lamborghini drivers are using Active Steering on Strong. I have always thought this setting to make cars understeer more. Four wheel drive cars understeer enough already in the game, so seems counter intuitive to me. Am I missing out on faster lap times by not using Active Steering?

My best guess for this is that they are so used to it from previous TTs that they are actually faster with it.

I give up. I just don't enjoy time trials at all. Use Praiano's tunes for these. He is 2 seconds faster than me right now anyway.

Back to racing.

Edit: Answering my own question with some testing. Grab your favorite drift tune, turn Active Steering to Strong and move rapidly up the rankings. I am working with a LP 640-4 Superveloce '09 and doing every tuning trick that I know to make the car loose. I watched the replay of the current leader 1:29.851 and he barely touches the brakes. Though his lines are super smoothe, the tires smoke on most corners. Will post my tune with Active Steering as soon as I get bored with chasing my ghost around.

I think you are probably missing out.

Some of the 'Super Aliens' are fast without it (Dan Holland and Wes didn't use it on the C7 TT at the 'Ring, for example), but most people use it - even Amo, who seems to be the fastest regular runner on Seasonal TT's.

IME, AS specifically helps manage the rear of the car, but it doesn't add understeer. What it does is correct a lot of the tiny slides that are difficult for 'normal' drivers to react to quickly enough to to handle themselves... you can feel this through the wheel moving to apply tiny amounts of corrective lock as the car slides about. It also feels to smooth out throttle inputs on corner exits.

I use it most of the time as it allows me to make a car more unstable on corner entries (more rear ballast, less wing, higher rear brake balance, low LSD decel, etc), which in turn helps reduce understeer... which is the killer of fast lap times. I always want a car as unstable as I can reasonably control when it comes to TTing... the more skilled a driver you are, the more unstable a car you can manage.

I immediately didn't like the Murci, so didn't spent much time on it (c.30laps), but here's what I found...

The Murci is an understeering bag of rubbish (as are most 4WD and FWD cars in GT5), and this doesn't improve much with tuning. You can get rid of the initial corner entry understeer by adding rear ballast and/or running no/low rear wing settings. This will create plenty of initial rotation through momentum oversteer, but the more rotation you add, the more difficult it is to get through the fast turns at the beginning of the lap.

What I found impossible to 'fix' (similar to most 4WD cars) is the mid corner understeer... you can get the car to oversteer initially on entry, but as this bleeds away the car immediately slips back in to severe understeer unless your corner speed is perfect. Even if your corner speed is perfect, it immediately understeers if you pick up the throttle mid corner. And no amount of fiddling with toe/camber/LSD settings seems to cure it.

It's why I almost never bother with 4WD cars... they are just rubbish to drive.

I'm surprised by your AS/drift comment... I'm not great at drifting (I can usually get around 75-80% of the top score), but I always turn AS off to drift, and my scores improve as a result :lol:

How do they not get a red time?

I'm not getting any joy from either of these TT's. :(

They don't get a red time because they aren't hitting or grinding the wall hard enough.

Am I correct in believing that Active Steering doesn't affect a DS3?

Think I read that here somewhere.

Active Steering on Strong.

Personally... Every time I use it, it improves my lap times. Having said that, I've only ever used it for TT's and because I, like you, noticed that's what the best were doing. It's frustrating personally, but whatever. Haven't had a chance to even give this TT a shot yet.

It actually does affect the DS3. If I turn it on, the car just feels 'twitchy' when I move the stick to turn.

Personally... Every time I use it, it improves my lap times. Having said that, I've only ever used it for TT's and because I, like you, noticed that's what the best were doing. It's frustrating personally, but whatever. Haven't had a chance to even give this TT a shot yet.

Every time I use it, I slow down :lol: Unless it's with a very difficult car to drive.

I'm not 100% sure, but I would imagine it works exactly the same with a DS3 but you won't feel it through the sticks like you would a wheel with FF.

Doodle or Numbnuts might be able to say for sure.

Edit... Treed by Doodle :lol:

Dalone

I find it does correct the oversteer, I use the directional buttons and find the tiny flicks of corrections I do myself to try and combat oversteer are already made when I use AS, and end up going off the racing line. The car feels more stable, but I think I prefer it more slidy with the rear stepping out.

If I spent enough time getting used to it I may be able to go faster, but I don't like how it feels - probably as I've never really used it.

Some tts I do ok without it though - my best is 25th on Madrid some time ago, but I usually try and aim to be in the top 250, or top 5 of people using the directional buttons.

Uhm, today i watch replay of Amo and then i trying to drive with his ghost.
I`m faster by 0.100-130 on 3th sector, but he have gap 0.450 after first two sectors =)
I think 1:30.3** is possible for me

UPD
Hell yea !
1:30.689 for 18th pos =)
My best for all time.

Last edited:
Seems I'll have to try Active Steering on strong and see what I notice. However if one doesn't feel it with the sticks I may not feel it at all with the buttons.

My G27 is pretty knackered now... it's 3 years old and the gears have lot of play in them, resulting in a huge dead zone. I doubt I'd be able to drive some of the more tricky cars quickly without AS as it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to be precise enough with the steering.

Might be time to get a new one :D

Hell yea !
1:30.689 for 18th pos =)
My best for all time.

Well done 👍

3,500th (1:33.9s) with my own tune settings, and I am completely surprised, that I can stomp on the gas pedal flat out on tight turns using SPORT HARD tires on a 550pp Lambo (SV), without any oversteer or red tires whatsoever. I didn't know this feat existed in GT5, lol. Now onto curing mild understeer entry, and I can shave 3s. No aids whatsoever, no ABS either. (ABS @1 makes my turn ins worse)

it's not a fast tune by anymeans, but it is very consistent, and requires zero battling with the car. Will publish the tune if I can drop it to 1:31:x or better.

My G27 is pretty knackered now... it's 3 years old and the gears have lot of play in them, resulting in a huge dead zone. I doubt I'd be able to drive some of the more tricky cars quickly without AS as it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to be precise enough with the steering.

Well done 👍

I give back to shop my G27 after 1 year of active playing because calibration is dead.
Now i have new one, i buy it 5 month ago - last two months sometimes (always when G27 is "cold"), he have problems with gearshifting, + and - just not working or working conversely or something like that =(
Also i have G25 from my friend... play with G25 for two years and he still alive.
This sadly when new model of product worse that previous.

Well done 👍
Contact logitec Stotty there customer service is great,just say you have hardly used it :) and its nackered,probably get 50% of a new one 👍

Seems I'll have to try Active Steering on strong and see what I notice. However if one doesn't feel it with the sticks I may not feel it at all with the buttons.

It definately works with the sticks on the DS3. Took four seconds off my time. Congrats PD. You have given us aids to make the 'Real Driving Simulator' into an archady game from the 90's.

I made a really, really loose 4wd tune on the DS3. Will try it on the G27 and see if I can improve more. Will post both tunes. Seems like tunes with Active Steering is what we should be building for time trials?

It definately works with the sticks on the DS3. Took four seconds off my time. Congrats PD. You have given us aids to make the 'Real Driving Simulator' into an archady game from the 90's.

4s :lol:

AS is worth a couple of tenths for me... are you sure you didn't engage SRF by mistake?

Stotty
4s :lol:

AS is worth a couple of tenths for me... are you sure you didn't engage SRF by mistake?

SRF is blocked on this one. I didn't just turn on AS, I re-tuned the car to have as much oversteer as possible and used the AS system to catch the rear.

Last edited:
Did a 1:35.1 with ripping_silk's tune. The car is a handful and I absolutely hate understeer and having a tough time handling the understeer. Tried Praiano's tune too but that was very extreme for me. I saw Amo's lap and he hardly brakes. I just cannot adapt my driving style to let the car coast through the corner and accelerate on corner exits. The moment you touch the throttle mid corner or on exit it starts to understeer.

I am simply not good enough to better 1:35 which I have been doing consistently. I put Amo's and my lap on data logger for comparision and the results were hardly surprising. Is analysing laps in the data logger helpful? Is it accurate enough to give a true picture? I will put up a snapshot when I have time.

Contact logitec Stotty there customer service is great,just say you have hardly used it :) and its nackered,probably get 50% of a new one 👍

That's not really my style... plus I've taken it apart several times and they would easily be able to tell if I sent it back and they checked it over - some of screw heads are rounded off :D

Logitec are always sending me e-mails with special offers as I've bought stuff from them in the past (headset, top of the range universal remote etc), so I'll have a look next time something comes through.

Or I could get a Thrustmaster... has anyone tried one?

I give back to shop my G27 after 1 year of active playing because calibration is dead.
Now i have new one, i buy it 5 month ago - last two months sometimes (always when G27 is "cold"), he have problems with gearshifting, + and - just not working or working conversely or something like that =(
Also i have G25 from my friend... play with G25 for two years and he still alive.
This sadly when new model of product worse that previous.

If you mean autocalibration, i've fixed mine using this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9p7gU0F8C0 (just in case you ever encounter it again). Great video for any repair tbh since it shows u how to take it apart properly.

Or I could get a Thrustmaster... has anyone tried one?

Just read this here:

I heard that Logitech is gong bankrupt in the video game business by the end of 2013 and as a result they're only going to be selling computer stuff I think. So if you're going to buy a G27, buy it now.

I read that too, It's a shame because they need to refresh their PC Peripherals yearly/every 2 years like Razer do. They make some quality gear, 90% of my peripherals are Logitech as you can probably see in the picture. If they made a mechanical G13 and an updated G700 I'd buy them with no hesitation.

Hopefully they can magically recover from this..

I recommend the t500 because the ffb and pedals feels great.it feels like a real car andbetter then my dfgt

I just sold my new G27 and got a new T500 and what difference, the G27 is more like a toy compared to the T500,

Makes me want a T500

Last edited:
....*snip*...Or I could get a Thrustmaster... has anyone tried one?

Just invested in one and am awaiting my wheelstand pro (arriving tomorrow) but I had a quick go with the thing jerry-rigged to a hugely undersized table but even though it was far from an optimal set-up it's a prestigious piece of kit. Everything is amazing including the pedals :)

I've never had a a logitech wheel so it's hard for me to compare but the T500RS is really good and whisper quiet.

Just read this here:

Thanks 👍

I've read reviews from people saying the Thrustmaster is the dogs round, dangling, hairy things - but given the amount of money they have spent they are hardly going to say anything else.

The G27 is a know item... I really want to hear from someone properly fast say there's a lap time advantage vs the G27... it's not the money (I can afford one easy enough), it's the VFM element... if I spend that sort of cash I want to be sure it's going to make me faster... otherwise I'll just buy another G27 and spend the rest on something else (like some nice red wine :))

you might want to ask iracing guys, from what i've heard thrustmaster's wheel is quite prone to resetting the wheel settings every time you load up. Giving this inconvenience i think theyd be more likely to notice other flaws as well.

Back