Time Trial #56

I think Ramon's an iRacing guy nowadays... I'll see if he knows anything 👍

Thanks 👍

I've read reviews from people saying the Thrustmaster is the dogs round, dangling, hairy things - but given the amount of money they have spent they are hardly going to say anything else.

The G27 is a know item... I really want to hear from someone properly fast say there's a lap time advantage vs the G27... it's not the money (I can afford one easy enough), it's the VFM element... if I spend that sort of cash I want to be sure it's going to make me faster... otherwise I'll just buy another G27 and spend the rest on something else (like some nice red wine :))
It will most likely make you slightly slower. I might buy one simply because last GT Academy they used the T500RS.

It will most likely make you slightly slower. I might buy one simply because last GT Academy they used the T500RS.

Then I'll definitely be giving it a miss... the Academy is done for me... even if I managed to qualify for the finals (again) ;), I'd never get through as I'm waaaay to old and waaaay to unfit :lol:

Looks like another G27 then, unless a Fanatec is faster?

Then I'll definitely be giving it a miss... the Academy is done for me... even if I managed to qualify for the finals (again) ;), I'd never get through as I'm waaaay to old and waaaay to unfit :lol:

All wheels should be similar speed once the game sees the input. Problem with T500RS could be initial pedal deadzone so you have to take that into account if you want to drive as fast as you can with G27. Fanatec wheels probably have a slight advantage in some cars by being able to change degrees of steering rotation but I like the plug and play nature of G27.

You might still be able to win the GT Academy program but you would probably have to be as good as top racing drivers in the world in skill level ;). However if you don't get that far, you might at least get to be able to drive a 370Z race car a bit and teach the young guys a lesson by beating them potentially.

All wheels should be similar speed once the game sees the input. Problem with T500RS could be initial pedal deadzone so you have to take that into account if you want to drive as fast as you can with G27. Fanatec wheels probably have a slight advantage in some cars by being able to change degrees of steering rotation but I like the plug and play nature of G27.

You might still be able to win the GT Academy program but you would probably have to be as good as top racing drivers in the world in skill level ;). However if you don't get that far, you might at least get to be able to drive a 370Z race car a bit and teach the young guys a lesson by beating them potentially.

Hmmmmm... still sounds like the G27 is the way to go then...maybe with a Momo wheel and extended shifters... I saw a set up like that once and it looked nice :)

And even if I did qualify, I'd get my backside handed to me by some young hotshot in the real car :lol:

Hmmmmm... still sounds like the G27 is the way to go then...maybe with a Momo wheel and extended shifters... I saw a set up like that once and it looked nice :)

And even if I did qualify, I'd get my backside handed to me by some young hotshot in the real car :lol:
Stock G27 is the way to go, then you can keep the useful buttons on wheel and also good for warranty reasons. Maybe modify your old one though ;).

There will probably be a lot of highly prepared young people ready for the challenge. I plan to be more prepared next time, that is if there is next time. I couldn't believe I made the top 12 in the end regarding GTA UK and Ireland finals last year, given how unprepared I was. I plan on doing some online racing so I am used to it with fast racers, getting hopefully a lot fitter (Easier said than done) and also start driving again, I only drove one car in 2012 and that was the 370Z race car in national finals :lol:.

These time trials are quite useful to gauge if you can qualify for GT Academy if other people are reading this, you just need to be around top 20 most of the time and then I think you should be good enough to make step for national finals. If you try your maximum and run a lot of laps on one event, being a few tenths of leader using a good setup should really show you if you can make online qualification phase. Wild Cards are probably the more easier route for people in like the top 250 though.

I'm 45, I drink a bottle of red wine a night and smoke 15 Marlboro Lights a day... and I don't eat that healthily... I 'enjoy life'... Though I'm 6'3" and still under 14 stone :D

I see the Academy as nothing more than a nice competition, I'm not going to make a racing driver now unless I win the Euromillions and can afford to buy a ride as a 'gentleman racer'.

The UK is pretty competitive based on previous years... depending on who tunrs up, I'll definitely struggle to make the top 20... if the combo of car and track is nice I'll give it a good run, but I won't run it just to try and get through to the fnals.

Good luck yourself 👍

I'm 45, I drink a bottle of red wine a night and smoke 15 Marlboro Lights a day... and I don't eat that healthily... I 'enjoy life'... Though I'm 6'3" and still under 14 stone :D

I see the Academy as nothing more than a nice competition, I'm not going to make a racing driver now unless I win the Euromillions and can afford to buy a ride as a 'gentleman racer'.

The UK is pretty competitive based on previous years... depending on who tunrs up, I'll definitely struggle to make the top 20... if the combo of car and track is nice I'll give it a good run, but I won't run it just to try and get through to the fnals.

Good luck yourself 👍
You could be the gentleman GT playing racer British GT was looking for, instead they got young Jann. GT Academy is really an amazing competition given there being a lot of cutbacks in the recession by big manufacturers. I wonder if they will have one this year, they have a lot of drivers now, maybe they will skip a year again.

There surely must be a lot of people who have not even tried GT Academy but are really fast in say PC sims or casually do the odd lap in GT5 and not bother thinking they have no chance. There could be stars of GT Academy's future yet to be discovered. I wonder also if GT Academy in UK and Ireland or any other place will be less competitive now that a good number of fast guys are no longer eligible. I know there is still quite a number of fast people still yet to qualify for the boot camp thing though, that is always inevitable. I think though if you put similar / slightly more effort than you do in the seasonals, you should do a time good enough for top 16 in next GT Academy.

Thanks and also good luck to everyone who is using these seasonals to get better for GT Academy or just pushing themselves to be a better sim driver 👍.

I noticed that eight of the current top ten Lamborghini drivers are using Active Steering on Strong. I have always thought this setting to make cars understeer more. Four wheel drive cars understeer enough already in the game, so seems counter intuitive to me. Am I missing out on faster lap times by not using Active Steering?

Edit: Answering my own question with some testing. Grab your favorite drift tune, turn Active Steering to Strong and move rapidly up the rankings. I am working with a LP 640-4 Superveloce '09 and doing every tuning trick that I know to make the car loose. I watched the replay of the current leader 1:29.851 and he barely touches the brakes. Though his lines are super smoothe, the tires smoke on most corners. Will post my tune with Active Steering as soon as I get bored with chasing my ghost around.

This is the way it always is. Your tunes and my tunes are slower then people exploiting the physics engine.

Was going to have a pop at the Lambo course with a Countach too, although I fear for the car through the last corner.

Did around 10 laps with my '74 Countach at around 530pp (I think); got a 1:38 dead, so easily capabale of gold time. It was actually solid through the final corner - I've got aero on this one so it presumably helps to hold the back end down at the higher speeds. The hardest part to keep under control was power oversteer in the slower corners.

It took a few laps to get the 'slow is fast' mentality sorted with this, but then I started to make improvements. Good fun and a nice alternative to the wild and understeering modern Lambos.

That's not really my style... plus I've taken it apart several times and they would easily be able to tell if I sent it back and they checked it over - some of screw heads are rounded off :D

Logitec are always sending me e-mails with special offers as I've bought stuff from them in the past (headset, top of the range universal remote etc), so I'll have a look next time something comes through.

Or I could get a Thrustmaster... has anyone tried one?

What about this one? This is my next setup :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fuem3KTuR9M

you don't need millions to do real racing though, nothing like

i've only had a ps3 / gt5 since december, really enjoying the time trials as a world wide competition, chuffed with my results so far as well

has anyone got a tune please for the current snow time trial using the elise 111R '04? most of the fastest drivers are using this, im currently 300th, which is my best ranking so far, but 8 seconds off?? im using a v spec GTR with the recent madrid tune and snow tyres

cheers

you don't need millions to do real racing though, nothing like

i've only had a ps3 / gt5 since december, really enjoying the time trials as a world wide competition, chuffed with my results so far as well

has anyone got a tune please for the current snow time trial using the elise 111R '04? most of the fastest drivers are using this, im currently 300th, which is my best ranking so far, but 8 seconds off?? im using a v spec GTR with the recent madrid tune and snow tyres

cheers

It's not a tune you need to post a better time it's advice on how to do some wall riding. Check out the replay from the No1 guy and you should be able to see how they are posting the times for this TT.

It'll get you a time but it's not racing :(

Last edited:

you could have got a t500rs for £290 at overclockers last weekend lol

Its way better with the Ferrari add on so its even more ££££££ lol
I ve never used a g27 but it seams to work for amo/immortal

the t500rs is at its best with full force feedback on its mega heavy mega fun but its slower which is a shame lower ffb is faster I use 5 on these tts

Note any wheel manufactures reading this we are more than happy to test your products just send to address

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:cheers:

Isnt james martin tv chef heading to lemans so hope for you yet bud

do you have a list of who is ineligible for gta rutter etc

If procrastination was a punishable crime, I'd be locked up since I completely missed out on taking my 2010 Jeff Gordon Impala around Spa-Francorchamps and (that other Time Trial event). So I tried my luck around Trial Mountain and the generated Alaska course.

I probably should have used my Gallardo instead of my Murciélago. Still, the Murciélago of mine managed a lap time of 1:39.813. My big bull roamed nicely around the rocky walls of Trial Mountain. Just because this baby has 4WD doesn't mean you're going to have an easy time around a track like Trial Mountain. I was trying to find the best way to wrestle my Lambo around Trial Mountain while making sure my laps don't go foul. The Murciélago dipped a bit below 550PP. If I changed the oil, it would be at about 556PP. So I skipped an oil change and just ran it as is. I still managed to pull a nice lap. One of my foul/invalidated laps was in the 1:39.300 range.

Now on to Alaska. Because this is a generated course, experience is NOT in your favor. So you have to learn to adapt to win. I picked the most capable car in my Premium collection. For me, that means a 4WD car that is more than ready for off-road conditions. So I used my Subaru Impreza that I last remember using in one of those Expert Seasonals dedicated to it. I ended up doing only a 1:36.051. I started gaining a little momentum and started feeling it. So I kept driving faster and faster. However, I still could not dip my times below the 96 second mark. I'm still happy with what I was able to log in this Time Trial.

If I do better at Alaska, I'll be sure to report it to all of you GTPlaneteers.

Last edited:
had a look at the fastest guys replays for the snow time trial.. what a joke, they're just using the wall to go flat out, they should get rid of the outer walls so if you run wide you're into thick snow and slowed right down, i think i might be able to get into the top 250 driving properly, tried a 111r setup from the recent autumn ring / lotus time trial, which was much better but couldnt beat my 1.28.1, best was 1.30.0 flat

had a look at the fastest guys replays for the snow time trial.. what a joke, they're just using the wall to go flat out, they should get rid of the outer walls so if you run wide you're into thick snow and slowed right down, i think i might be able to get into the top 250 driving properly, tried a 111r setup from the recent autumn ring / lotus time trial, which was much better but couldnt beat my 1.28.1, best was 1.30.0 flat

do u have a link to a vid ?

Just because this baby has 4WD doesn't mean you're going to have an easy time around a track like Trial Mountain.

I don't think you'd have an easy time anywhere in the Murciélago, maybe SSRX:dopey:

I tried the 'normal' Murci but couldn't beat my 1:36.3 with the Gallardo. I did get a red 1:35.8 but the back end twitched under braking at the first turn (no ABS) and I cut the corner too much.

As soon as I saw what was happening I lost all interest in this TT. Pretty sure a 4WD is the way to go if you want to post a legitimate time. I see quite a few Subaru WRX STI '10's popping up in the top slots. Haven't checked to see if they are still wall riding with them but I suspect they are.

i reckon anything faster than a 1.24 is probably wall riding, its a shame because the fast sweeping corners are actually really fun to drive and you could feel yourself gaining so much time if you judge when to start accelerating well, i suspect a lot of people arent bothering with this one now, as im not usually as high up the boards

if i get into the top 250 i'll post up here and i think you can watch the replays through clicking on the record on the leaderboard

i have a replay of my best lap saved but ive no idea how to get that onto youtube etc?

i had a go with the active steering thing for the lambo one but was 0.3 off my best, i use a controller as well so that setting prob wasnt for me anyway, lol

...*clip*...i have a replay of my best lap saved but ive no idea how to get that onto youtube etc?

The easiest way is just to use your phone if it takes video and post it like any other movie. Read this for more info tho 👍

i had a go with the active steering thing for the lambo one but was 0.3 off my best, i use a controller as well so that setting prob wasnt for me anyway, lol

Yes, that's about what my experience with active steering and the DS3 is. It slows me down by anything up to .5 second. Shame really because it does seem to tame the oversteer down a bit.

I have this Lambo SV TUNE for this event.
It's 1:31.475 for the moment. Look a little extreme but it work and it's easy to drive fast.

Excellent tune Praiano. First green lap in the 32's and a little tweaking to suit my own driving style got down around 31.6. Nice work as usual.👍👍

i reckon anything faster than a 1.24 is probably wall riding, its a shame because the fast sweeping corners are actually really fun to drive and you could feel yourself gaining so much time if you judge when to start accelerating well, i suspect a lot of people arent bothering with this one now, as im not usually as high up the boards

I watched the leader replay to see how I got destroyed by 8 seconds on a clean and decent lap. Is PD ever going to get these snow TT's right?

Back