Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 29,387 comments
As a contracted Ferrari driver I felt compelled to check out the Autopolis TT where the red car seems to be doing quite good...
And it is:
TT-AutopolisGr4-almost.jpg

It's so typical to clock a sub 55 lap with screwed first sector.
Now I know there is relatively "easy" time to be gained, but how not to get caught with sector 3 being so good?
Let's see if I'm in the right mood for this hunt come Wednesday.

Oh, and shout out to the fellow AT drivers Pesselles, smoothbore12 and Lomic - good job and well done!
There's hard work behind those results, I know.

I was three tenth faster than my ghost in Down Under, as my cat decided to go full berserk and to show that he is "speed". That distracted me enough to crash into the wall.....at least, he has the same problems.....

200w.gif

That's not my cat, just to show the issue....here's my little beloved beast, tired after escalation.....😂
DSC_0017.JPG

Last edited:
Ran a 2nd stint at Bathurst Friday night. The weekend was crazy busy, including the Super Bowl party, so just now getting back to posting.

I discovered something interesting during this stint. I was pushing closer to gold but kind of stuck in the 2:02's when I realized... wait there are TWO Genesis Gr.3 cars! I was driving the "Genesis Gr. 3" the whole time, when the faster car that everyone is using is the "Genesis X GR3". Doh! I ran another 10 or 15 laps with the faster Genesis X and got this time.

I actually like the handling of the other Genesis better. It doesn't have as much of a tendency to oversteer. But the X is definitely faster.

I'm sure I can improve, and thankfully there's still a week left. I might try tonight, but I might take one more run at Autopolis this evening or do the Weekly Challenges that I haven't done yet.

Just happy to be in Gold now. (actually I'm not even sure if this time is still Gold or not). I'm also interested in trying out some of the other faster cars.

TT_Bathurst_GenesisX.jpeg

Last edited:
And another change of plans. Hopped in the rig yesterday, did 3 laps with the Z4, got annoyed by my own inability. Changed over to the Genesis, did another 3 laps and got the gold with 2:01:626. I'm just hoping No 1 time doesn't improve as i don't have the intention to come back, even though I enjoyed the challenge, especially compared to the Bvlgari on Monza.
What I noticed once again, if I can't get gold within the first hour I get a bit annoyed and try many different cars, as soon as i go back to the meta i usually improve by a couple of tenths. The beauty of training.

Btw, huge respect to Gallo, 1:58:746 in the Supra GT500 (or was it the GT-R GT500?). Gave it a very short try after reaching the gold, handels like a 25 year old car :D

Woah! Almost the same time as me! 😯 Also, I just noticed that the Genesis has less weight and more power than the Ferrari, once BOP is applied. What kind of "balance of performance" is that?? 💩
Yeah when I finally got into the Genesis I understood why it's better around here for most people. If you drive under the limit it really hauls and is pretty stable. Handles pretty good actually. I never tried the Ferrari but I like that car more in general. I think the fastest cars are the ones from companies that have the best relationship with Sony at any given time. 😆

Errgh...maybe I should get out and give it a push? 🫠

Oeeff..... you should push mate, would be epic to enter the 59's and it's just insane that you are in the 400 with a 2 flat, that says enough about this combo...Grande Cojones are made here on the mountain!

For me, man, i'm still in full struggle mode to get the Genesis around i a smooth lap.... come oonn!!... i need just one..
I'm sort of cramped up the whole lap, and when i kind of nail the mountain and exit the elbow descent i'm starting to worry about that damn last corner, so small and should be so easy.... but is has eaten seconds of my time from the start i'm trying this TT .... and it's still very hungry..... :lol: :lol:

This morning after 200 km i gave up, stored the damn thing back in the garage, dusted and well.... didn't even washed it..... :lol:
I did improve some though, but still FAR of the pace i want to 1.82% % place 600 :boggled::boggled:

Did notice the static Marshall next to 3 animated ones at every post around the mountain..... well... that says enough ... :lol::lol:

So i placed myself a little more safe in the sandwich between you and @Dolph Drago with a 200:346 ..
enough for today, back to work :banghead:

18da178b3b979-screenshotUrl.jpg

Last edited:
I discovered something interesting during this stint. I was pushing closer to gold but kind of stuck in the 2:02's when I realized... wait there are TWO Genesis Gr.3 cars! I was driving the "Genesis Gr. 3" the whole time, when the faster car that everyone is using is the "Genesis X GR3".
The X GR3 is a Genesis. The Genesis GR3 is a Hyundai.
Yes, it's dumb.

I finally broke the silver barrier at MP.
Actually more than a break it is a chip that will probably be sealed by some alien lowering the record.

I leave my video below for some advice, if you would be so kind as to give me some.
None of the sectors on this lap are my absolute best ( current ideal is 2:03.237 ), but at least I managed to put a decent lap together.

Ah... I leave you a picture of me in action, put a hand on your conscience and don't try to tell me to be braver.

1707819432462.png

Turn 1 and turn 2 I think you can be braver and start adding throttle earlier. Pretty sure that will gain you a tenth in total. That would bring your time into the .5s at the end of 3rd sector (which would be the same as me). Same thing with the last corner....you just have to add throttle early to get a good time.

zjn

Hmmm...yeah...you are too conservative in the corners. I know the walls are scary, but it is something you have to ignore and get used to if you want to get the time down. Use some invalid laps and see how brave you can get in the corners. Also, there are a few corners where you could've use a lower gear to get the car to turn. Watch @Gomario JSP and my replay and note the gear choice we used.

Last edited:
The X GR3 is a Genesis. The Genesis GR3 is a Hyundai.
Yes, it's dumb.
Not really.

Genesis as a standalone brand wasn't in GT Sport because... well, it didn't exist other than in South Korea and the USA (sort of).

Hyundai had attempted to sell the original Genesis sedan as an unbranded/Genesis vehicle in 2008 - literally just called "Genesis" - to differentiate this luxury car from any perceived stigma attached to its more humble vehicles... but it was a flop.

For any markets in which it remained, it became the Hyundai Genesis, and Hyundai also made a coupe for the USA and South Korea - the Hyundai Genesis Coupe - based on the platform.

Hyundai's Gr.4/Gr.3 car for GTS was based on that Hyundai Genesis Coupe.

The Genesis marque became fully separated in 2015 but again only in the USA and South Korea and reinvented as a sports luxury brand. It discontinued the coupe, launched the bigger G90 sedan, renamed the original sedan to G80, and followed that up with the GV80 (SUV).

It became global only in 2021, with the smaller G70, GV70, and GV60 EV. Shortly after that we started to get the news of the marque coming to GT, and the Gr.4/Gr.3 cars based on the G70 and X Concept respectively.

Ultimately it's little different from Lexus also being in GT and the GTWS alongside Toyota. Except there wasn't a car called the Toyota Lexus (or just "Lexus") 15 years ago.

Couple of general questions for this group, given that we have so many mad fast people in here:

I know this should be fairly basic but do you all use turn-in markers? I never have tbh, feels critical at MP for example but I'm basically just guessing/judging the corners round every lap. On a related note, can anyone recommend any YouTubers who do lap guides in VR? I love the @Tidgney guides but the FoV of VR is so different to flat that the turn-in markers simply don't work for me. Alternatively, how do you go about finding your own turn-in markers, any tips on that?

Second question, to wheel users: are you tensed up when racing or relaxed? I feel like a relaxed body would be better but I'm naturally all tensed up. Just curious on this one. :)

Hmmm...yeah...you are too conservative in the corners. I know the walls are scary, but it is something you have to ignore and get used to if you want to get the time down. Use some invalid laps and see how brave you can get in the corners. Also, there are a few corners where you could've use a lower gear to get the car to turn. Watch @Gomario JSP and my replay and note the gear choice we used.
Thanks!
To be fair about what I'm feeling, if you are speaking about applying trottle before, it's more fear to loose the car then for walls. For sure walls also play a part, but more in general I am very convervative probably due to too much apex speed.
Sometimes ago you commented on don't-know-what TT something similar. Since than I'm really putting lot of attention about not feeling safe to open at or just before the apex. This is probably coming from a well consolidated bad abit to going too fast / too instable in the corner. I'm really doing some mental coaching here, hopefully here and there I can see something going slightly better.

The downhill hirpin or the last and first corners are good examples. When I stick to the plan I do them better. Other times my CPU gets crowded in other stuff and forget about this!

Gearing down to turn is definetly something I will incorporate as a next actions, now that I have some better automation in my lap.

I tend to be quite relaxed during straights/easy sections, but when I need to focus, I tense up. :lol:
Same thing, when I'm racing the AI or some friends in casual lobbies, it's a breeze, but when I'm chasing thousands on Mount Panorama in 3-4 hour sessions, I'm literally sweating and cramping, and I'm feeling it even the next day, my shoulders are dead to a point where I cannot drive for a day at least :D

Couple of general questions for this group, given that we have so many mad fast people in here:

I know this should be fairly basic but do you all use turn-in markers? I never have tbh, feels critical at MP for example but I'm basically just guessing/judging the corners round every lap. On a related note, can anyone recommend any YouTubers who do lap guides in VR? I love the @Tidgney guides but the FoV of VR is so different to flat that the turn-in markers simply don't work for me. Alternatively, how do you go about finding your own turn-in markers, any tips on that?

Second question, to wheel users: are you tensed up when racing or relaxed? I feel like a relaxed body would be better but I'm naturally all tensed up. Just curious on this one. :)
I used to use turn-in marker when I was doing the CE for Nurburgring thinking it would help. I then just turned it off because they were distracting and they are just markers around the turn in point...not really where you need to turn in.

Depends on how much time you can sink into the game, you can either find your own turn in point after studying some fast ghost....or if you jist have enough time to bang in a few laps....follow a fast ghost and turn where it turn (remember you have to start turning the wheel a fraction earlier to acount for roll and reaction time).

As for youtube guide for VR, I don't think there is one. I personally drive in VR and I just used the aboved methods to figure out where to turn in.

For your final question...I'm usually too busy to know if I'm too tense or not 🤣 I'm usually too focus on the wheel's feedback to know if I got too tense up or not. One thing I did notice when I was driving the Autopolis TT, my arms started to get sore in the 3rd sector....so mybe I was tense?

zjn
Thanks!
To be fair about what I'm feeling, if you are speaking about applying trottle before, it's more fear to loose the car then for walls. For sure walls also play a part, but more in general I am very convervative probably due to too much apex speed.
Sometimes ago you commented on don't-know-what TT something similar. Since than I'm really putting lot of attention about not feeling safe to open at or just before the apex. This is probably coming from a well consolidated bad abit to going too fast / too instable in the corner. I'm really doing some mental coaching here, hopefully here and there I can see something going slightly better.

The downhill hirpin or the last and first corners are good examples. When I stick to the plan I do them better. Other times my CPU gets crowded in other stuff and forget about this!

Gearing down to turn is definetly something I will incorporate as a next actions, now that I have some better automation in my lap.
This TT is more or less the same. Focus on a point right before the apex and tell yourself "This is where I will be the slowest...and that's where I will turn the steering the most...and I will start apply throttle at that point). If you find yourself hitting the wall at the exit...you didn'tslow down enough...try braking a bit earlier. If you find yourself having room at the exit...you were too slow at that point. Either brake slightly later or adjust your trail braking so you don't slow down too much.

Of cause you can also adjust that point and move it closer or further to the apex. Pick one that suit you or that corner best....trial and error (in a meaningful way)....it is the only way to improve 🤧

I used to use turn-in marker when I was doing the CE for Nurburgring thinking it would help. I then just turned it off because they were distracting and they are just markers around the turn in point...not really where you need to turn in.

Depends on how much time you can sink into the game, you can either find your own turn in point after studying some fast ghost....or if you jist have enough time to bang in a few laps....follow a fast ghost and turn where it turn (remember you have to start turning the wheel a fraction earlier to acount for roll and reaction time).

As for youtube guide for VR, I don't think there is one. I personally drive in VR and I just used the aboved methods to figure out where to turn in.
Yeh I wasn't too clear, didn't mean the useless yellow markers that the game gives you, I mean more trackside references that you may use to judge when to turn. I'm struggling to find good references at MP but misjudging a lot of corners going up the hill as a result.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who ends a session with sore arms and a very sweaty bum crack. TMI? :)

Last edited:
Yeh I wasn't too clear, didn't mean the useless yellow markers that the game gives you, I mean more trackside references that you may use to judge when to turn. I'm struggling to find good references at MP but misjudging a lot of corners going up the hill as a result.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who ends a session with sore arms and a very sweaty bum crack. TMI? :)
Ahh..I see. Tidg did mention the turn in point for one or 2 corners (maybe?). You can just study his lap on youtube....just need to adjust it a bit as his cam is bumper cam.

For the uphill section, turn 6(quarry?) I use the tree on the right as it hits the right a-piller as my turn in. Turn 9 (frog hollow?) I use the dip as my turn in. Hopefully it helps.

While I don't have sweaty bum....my face is usually soaking wet 🫠

Last edited:

No markers or racing line, just the fastest ghost available set to +0.2 and reset at each sector.

Not a wheel user but can confirm I basically barely breathe over the mountain and I definitely don't blink because my contacts are dry by the end of it and I spend the conrod straight blinking trying to get them back to a good condition 😂

No markers or racing line, just the fastest ghost available set to +0.2 and reset at each sector.

Not a wheel user but can confirm I basically barely breathe over the mountain and I definitely don't blink because my contacts are dry by the end of it and I spend the conrod straight blinking trying to get them back to a good condition 😂
The uphill section is ok....but from skyline to forest elbow....breathing is definitely a premium....maybe one quick breathe after the dipper? 🤣

Ahh..I see. Tidg did mention the turn in point for one or 2 corners (maybe?). You can just study his lap on youtube....just need to adjust it a bit as his cam is bumper cam.

For the uphill section, turn 6(quarry?) I use the tree on the right as it hits the right a-piller as my turn in. Turn 9 (frog hollow?) I use the dip as my turn in. Hopefully it helps.

While I don't have sweaty bum....my face is usually soaking wet 🫠
The problem with Tidgney is that he often says things like, "when the tree hits the edge of your screen", and that just doesn't translate to VR. I think I just need to get better at finding my own reference points but everything happens so fast! I'll try your suggestions though, using the a-pillar is a good point

Back