Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 29,375 comments
And, while were on the subject of ancient Fords, there's this

20230610_161658.jpg

That's been tucked away at my house since last April. Nope. Never driven it. '54 Popular Restomod. Yeah, it's right side drive. Coincidentally, from the in-game info sheet, the Ford we be trundling around this week was "built" that same year, though its base was a '32 B. Weirdly, it's listed on the car collection page in the '63 group, which, also coincidentally, was the year I was born. Maybe that's why I was able to sneak into gold range in 14 laps with it.

Last edited:
Day 2 at Grand Valley.

WR lap watched and ghost loaded. Studied the lap guide by @Tidgney. Livery applied.

View attachment 1331679

It was a decent 30 lap stint. Still working a few things out but I managed a little over 2 tenths over yesterday's time. Optimal lap is in the 18's and I think I'll push for it.

View attachment 1331680View attachment 1331681

Still having a good time. I'm losing most of my time exiting turn 1, the first right of sector 2 and the last turn.
Great time and a classic livery.

View attachment 1331699

That's been tucked away at my house since last April. Nope. Never driven it. '54 Popular Restomod. Yeah, it's right side drive. Coincidentally, from the in-game info sheet, the Ford we be trundling around this week was "built" that same year, though its base was a '32 B. Weirdly, it's listed on the car collection page in the '63 group, which, also coincidentally, was the year I was born. Maybe that's why I was able to sneak into gold range in 14 laps with it.
Am I seeing an Anglia there?

Hello fellas! I’ve had a great weekend in the mountains with friends, came back this evening in a semi comatose state and just jumped in the cockpit to do some laps just to stay awake until a sensible bedtime

Unfortunately I find the 190E at DTG still very addictive 😂 it’s still frustrating, the tyre modelling is still bugging me… but it still is so so fun when the car behaves and doesn’t just yeet itself into oblivion (however, I did roll it twice in two laps today, not the most fun I’ve had in VR.. 😆)

IMG_5705.jpeg

Chuffed with this time so far but I feel there’s plenty more in the tank, top 100 would be noice!! Happy to be in the 1:51 club though with some very fast drivers as always 🙃

The Tesla was a pain in the butt. It's as if that thing uses Fred Flintstone brakes. I actually restarted the race a couple of time because I went flying off track on multiple occasions. And I HATE not being able to hear the engine.

Just did the same. The Tesla is horrible. Can’t believe I spent on that turd to put new brakes and better tires on it.

Won't be playing GT7 for the next week so I've put down times for both trials.

Starting off with the Mercedes 190E at Dragon Trail. Put about 80km into this one and managed a time of 1:51.909 which puts me 161st currently. Maybe some small time left in that lap, but overall felt pretty good. Car doesn't really capture my attention in terms of driving, engine doesn't really have any character and it makes the car feel boring. Also not sure why they made the final chicane invalidate your next lap? I get its in the final sector but you don't gain anything in your next lap by cutting the chicane too much so was quite annoying.

Next up, the Ford Roadster around Grand Valley. Put about 110km into this one and only managed a 1:19.228 which places me 1076th. What a horrible car this is. At every opportunity this car wants to do the exact opposite of what I want it to do. It somehow manages to achieve both understeer and oversteer simultaneously on corner entry and exit. I really hope this time is good enough for gold because I really don't want to have to go back to this trial again.

Looking forward to the Evo IX coming in the next update, hopefully that is the focus of the next time trial. :D

What's up y'all. I spent 30 minutes on the Mercedes TT and clocked in a 1'58.429. I still have a ways to go if I want the silver medal! The hardest parts for me is the first U-turn before the tunnel, I have bad driving lines which is affecting my speed. I will post my runs later on this morning. I like how I designed my livery for it.

The second U-turn is a pain too because I'll mess up my line and slide some which costs me some time. I keep clocking the last sector between 1'19.500 and 1'22.040. I hate the downhill section because going at a fast speed can upset the balance of the car, then problems occur.

Hello fellas! I’ve had a great weekend in the mountains with friends, came back this evening in a semi comatose state and just jumped in the cockpit to do some laps just to stay awake until a sensible bedtime
Morning Dan,

I will clarify something for the rest of the thread when providing such as stated above....
Hope you had a nice "weekend in the mountains with friends" ....

alien-party.gif

Crushing my time in a semi comatose state ..... i feel defeated ....again...... :lol: :lol:

I did another session at Grand Valley this morning with that popping V8, sounds kind of nice, at first i hated the car, but it grew on me big time, so again i yelled to early :lol:, ( who could have thought that....)
Way more .2xx before the last corner of terro so won something again, and sleightly scraped of some time on the PB....
so....

Hi Kie...... @Evilmuffin the guy ain't got nothing on us moehaha :lol::lol:

9e34b8379d0ac3b74eaa8fca5e81f1c3.gif

18de439a41040-screenshotUrl22.jpg

18de43992e248-screenshotUrl.jpg

Had a worse S2 then my previous PB, i think .208 over .18x here but last turn was a bit better ...
Still not even close to the OPT but man it's hard to stick those few corners nicely together.....

I won a Stage 5 weight reduction for it. I added RS tires. I hate it, but PD loves it, so I’ll keep it. I had one awhile back, but sold it.
I full tuned mine (including the widebody) and it looks mean in satin black on black wheels, but it's still annoying as hell to drive with zero engine sound. Did the same with the Model S, but the Model 3 tunes further and is faster.

zjn
Some good improvement yesteday at the whiskey smuggling competition.
@Pesselles I've been following your ghost. Your T1-2-3 are really clean and do the job for your great time.
I'm still struggling with T1, most of the time I am a bit long, which compromises T2 and somehow T3 comes as a consequence.

View attachment 1331760
Grazie e prego, my friend :)
Congrats for your gold score, now you just have to have fun to improve it!

It's not really easy to explain how I manage the different sectors but ok let's try.

For T1, I stop thruttle in the tunnel (I can't really explain the exact moment, but I have my "benchmark") and I start breaking as soon as I see the end of the tunnel while turning to stay as close as possible to the apex on the left.
Take a look at @Tidgney guide for that exact moment:

T2 is really fun but a bit more tricky with these incessant change of direction and speed. The speed is the key, as you shouldn't lost it as much as possible. But if you are on the correct line, you can go through without lifting.

T3 has only one very serious danger: the final turn.
You have to find the perfect moment to start braking and turning to stick to the apex on the left. A real nightmare.
See Tidgney's video at 2:30:

I really love this TT ♥

Last edited:
Grazie e prego, my friend :)
Congrats for your gold score, now you just have to have fun to improve it!

I really love this TT ♥
I was actually referring to turns, not sectors
This is a comparison between my time and Mistah.
As you can see Turn1 and Turn2 are killing me (Turn 3 was actually better than I though)
Turn 10 also, but while for Turn1 and 2 I feel I'm really struggling in execution, Turn 10 I feel that I can work on it.

1708944632496.png

This is Turn1 (me - white trends, agaist Mystah - colored trends) comparison of throttle and brake
1708944846869.png

The only way I can somehow repeat it is by kepping I little bit of throttle applied to stabilize braking. Nealing the exact moment to start breaking is not easy as I didn't find a good marker, and most of the times I arrive long to turn 2 or need to decellerate more than need to keep the desired racing line.
Not nailing the start of breaking results in going too long
Not nailing the right combination of throttle and brake result in spin on the inside, or, again going long

I also tried it without balancing throttle and brake, but I struggle to apply to thiny % of brake at the beginngin of the brake action. This is my foot not sensible enough for the G29 pedal, I guess.

zjn
I was actually referring to turns, not sectors
This is a comparison between my time and Mistah.
As you can see Turn1 and Turn2 are killing me (Turn 3 was actually better than I though)
Turn 10 also, but while for Turn1 and 2 I feel I'm really struggling in execution, Turn 10 I feel that I can work on it.

View attachment 1331772

This is Turn1 (me - white trends, agaist Mystah - colored trends) comparison of throttle and brake
View attachment 1331773
The only way I can somehow repeat it is by kepping I little bit of throttle applied to stabilize braking. Nealing the exact moment to start breaking is not easy as I didn't find a good marker, and most of the times I arrive long to turn 2 or need to decellerate more than need to keep the desired racing line.
Not nailing the start of breaking results in going too long
Not nailing the right combination of throttle and brake result in spin on the inside, or, again going long

I also tried it without balancing throttle and brake, but I struggle to apply to thiny % of brake at the beginngin of the brake action. This is my foot not sensible enough for the G29 pedal, I guess.
Okay.... some guys are really serious with data here.... :bowdown: :D

Figure It Out What GIF by CBC

As you play with a wheel and pedals, ther is possibly also a light difference in the explanations / sensations we may have, and so, in the way we play, brake, etc.

Sometimes, you find the correct line very quickly (like I did on this TT), sometimes, you don't (like with the Mercedes on DT).
I'm not sure there's a "magic rule" to master that for humans players like us.
Watching guides, following ghosts, and reading this fabulous thread are the most easy way to improve our scores.

View attachment 1331699

When I was pretty young (maybe about ten if memory serves) I visited some family and one of my cousins was a motorhead. He was in the drag scene with family friends of his, who he took me to visit with him one day. The father had the coolest car I had ever seen at that point. I don't know the year at all but it was an Anglia that was tubbed and had huge dot drag slicks on it. He lived in the suburbs and he had it out of the garage as it was a nice spring day. It fit on the 6 foot sidewalk with the biggest rear tires I had ever seen on a car in my life. They pretty much swallowed the whole rear diff. That was 35+ years ago and I'll never forget that car. Your car very much reminds me of that one. 👍👍👍

Back