Tokyo Game Show

• Thread starter Earth
  • 262 comments
It's unfortunate to think that if GT6 doesn't show up for TGS, I'm gonna have to wait until 2014 for it. Four years between every GT is not something I want to look forward to in the future. Not saying that that's what's gonna happen for sure, but really, how often do they announce and release game within half a year?

^^^ There are LOTS of other games to play in the mean time. 💡

You bet...some people plays just one thing.

I have some games on PC thanks to the summer sales at Steam waiting for installation and some more that i need to finish yet or some to complete everything.
Then i have amazing mods for Source Engine, Crysis 2 and add that today Black Mesa Source (Half Life remake) was released (downloading it right now) and i am waiting to put my hands in it.
(mods are free and some are full games with tons of content and good times)

Talking about simulators...i have almost everyone and i bought Game Stock Car 2012 a couple of weeks ago and what a simulator...incredible, and for only 16€.

I mean i love GT series and GT5 too but almost 2 years later i needed to change for a bit...and then "wait" but playing other games till Gran Turismo 6 of course. Or GT5 but at this point got boring...sounds in my case has the major part in this side. I play other simulators with great sounds and even just for listen to the engines you can do hot-laps alone and you keep going and going for hours. In GT5 i start to yawn so badly after some minutes.

Yeah i know "cool story bro"...but the thing is...play other games people!! You are not going to fail to your beloved GT...i mean i even bought the Signature Edition of the game so what?...To me it paid for itself a long time ago.

So you guys are assuming that for those that don't want GT to be released every 4-5 years only plays one game?

I'm not gonna bet nor hope anything for GT6 to appear at TGS 2012, but it will indeed put a smile on my face if it does appear there though. I mean why hide GT away and expect everyone to be okay with it, that's honestly stupid.

I still dont see GT6 being PS3, GT5 maxes out the memory on the PS3 so why bother with GT6 on the PS3 ??

hence, in my mind no PS4 = no GT6

I still dont see GT6 being PS3, GT5 maxes out the memory on the PS3 so why bother with GT6 on the PS3 ??

hence, in my mind no PS4 = no GT6

Because as has been said a million times the memory limits are not the biggest problems with GT5.

GT5 throws up lots of issues that as a programmer i recognise as memory issues, and no one outside PD would be able convince me otherwise.

PS3 Memory limts are GT5's biggest problem. Its fundamental to a game running smothly, soon as you start to consider swap files etc your on shaky ground.

Last edited:
Please feel free to list what you think those big problems are. Because as far as I'm concerned when GT5 is running at it's best, premium cars on a 'premium' track it's fine. Yes there are clearly limits and things suffer from it but I can easily look past them (jaggy shadows etc). It looks great.

No the biggest issues with GT5 have nothing to do with console limitations. I'm not going to run through them because I already have done many, many times.

Please feel free to list what you think those big problems are.

???? you want a list of these big problems ????

Please read my post again

1 problem and its memory, if you were looking for memory related issues in GT5 then:

* Its the reason you can only roll cars over offline not online, the incoming co ordinate data of other drivers online means cuts have to be made when playing onine.

* Its the reason that we used to get the online timing bug in a big way, they had to juggle memory to fix it.

* Its the reason the shadows dont render properly , its one too many things to render in real time.

There are also features that didnt make it to the game because of memory :-

from the horses mouth -

Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi has answered questions and concerns from players via Twitter.

"The game designer also said that the developers created a YouTube upload option for GT5, but ended up dropping it, due to memory issue. Polyphony is considering it for the future, however. Face tracking also did not make its way into the game's GT Mode (it's in the Arcade Mode) also due to memory issues."

Not to mention the funky memory shortage bugs you get, when you code and blow you memory out it always produces some interesting effects, in GT5 things like sometimes seeing your pit crew on track instead of the pits, or when they added some features in one of the patchs and the mechanics trolley disapeered.

It is a fact they are up against the PS3's tiny 256mg memory. What they have done with 256mg is really impressve, i just dont think they can squeze any more out of it for another GT game on the PS3.

Last edited:
Did GT4 have a Youtube uploader and face tracking? No. I'm not denying that of course with a new console and more RAM that a lot more can be done, all I'm saying is a game so much better than GT5 can be created with the current hardware.

But the time to speculate is nearly gone, we just need to sit back and see what PD have to say (if anything) next weekend.

* Its the reason you can only roll cars over offline not online, the incoming co ordinate data of other drivers online means cuts have to be made when playing onine.

* Its the reason that we used to get the online timing bug in a big way, they had to juggle memory to fix it.
So you know this? Or you're making a fallacious "low memory + problems = low memory caused the problems" style argument? I have a programming background too, and yet I'm also aware that there are reasons beyond system limitations for poor program performance.

Throw around the "console limitations require PS4 GT6" argument all you want, but it's still pretty obvious that many of the problems with GT5 were design decisions rather than things necessitated by system limitations (or, at the very least, were poor design decisions made in response to system limitations); which was Simon's point in the first place (GT6 can be a better game than GT5 and still be on the PS3 even without massive new resource-hungry features that would require new hardware) and has been pointed out ad nauseum in countless threads before. Go to one of them (there's one right here on the first page) and state your piece about it.

Last edited:
Iam saying a lot of the issues i stated above are due to memory

Im not saying another GT game cant be done on the PS3 by coding it more efficently, of coure it can. GT5 uses a new engine of which GT6 is aparantly going to be based on, and they will be able to produce a more efficent game having learnt from thier past mistakes/succesess, but it just doesnt make any sense for them to limit themselves again by writing it for the same system that is very out dated now as they were first tme round, at best another GT game for the PS3 in my mind would be GT5.5, however efficent thier coding i would think they wouldnt get a lot more out of the PS3 , and anyway with a new playstation round the corner it makes no economic sense, regardless what anyone wants, Sony want to sell thier new ( and no doubt over priced ) console and flagship games will be high on thier agenda to boost sales.

Dont get me wrong i want GT6 tomorow, but like Simon had already said i dont have any concrete answers and neither do you, we will hear what PD have to say if anything shortly, right now its all just speculation.

Either way they are going to want to charge the hype so im sure we will be hearing something about GT6.

Last edited:
I have good reason to believe GT6 on PS4 could be considered GT5.5 if released so early in the console's life. Sure new hardware may mean instant fixes to some current problems, but how much would it really add? PS4 development kits obviously haven't been around for long if they're even around at all. Thats not alot of time to optimize for the new hardware. Do you want to buy a new console just to play GT6 with fixed shadows and face tracking? As I mentioned in another thread I'd much rather get GT6 on PS3 now. That would give PD more time to optimize Gran Turismo for the PS4, instead of it becoming some sort of rushed Gran Turismo HD nightmare.

Forza 3 and 4 are on inferior hardware yet many critics see them as much funner games. GT6 being on PS4 will not fix GT5's biggest problems.

I have good reason to believe GT6 on PS4 could be considered GT5.5 if released so early in the console's life. Sure new hardware may mean instant fixes to some current problems, but how much would it really add? PS4 development kits obviously haven't been around for long if they're even around at all. Thats not alot of time to optimize for the new hardware. Do you want to buy a new console just to play GT6 with fixed shadows and face tracking? As I mentioned in another thread I'd much rather get GT6 on PS3 now. That would give PD more time to optimize Gran Turismo for the PS4, instead of it becoming some sort of rushed Gran Turismo HD nightmare.

Forza 3 and 4 are on inferior hardware yet many critics see them as much funner games. GT6 being on PS4 will not fix GT5's biggest problems.

+1 This is the same thing how I feel about GT6 being on the PS4, which to be honest may not fix anything.

It'll be very smart if PD made GT6 for both the PS3 and PS Vita. Buy one on the PS3 and get one free on the Vita. They can even make it crossplay for crying out loud. GT6 needs to be for PS3 and Vita.

PD has been one of SCE's most in the loop 1st party dev. KY holds a place on the board and is likely privy to all discussions in regards to hardware and devkits.

PD has been one of SCE's most in the loop 1st party dev. KY holds a place on the board and is likely privy to all discussions in regards to hardware and devkits.
Well the bit about Kaz being on the SCE board isn't true, but certainly PD would probably have been the very first Sony devs privy to PS4 plans.

The lineup has been announced for TGS. There's no "surprise announcements" on the list, or anything from Polyphony Digital either.

Not the full line up though. They don't usually put games yet to be announced/revealed on the list. Doesn't mean GT6 will get revealed but also doesn't rule it out.

Gran Turismo or PD is never listed on the pre game show line ups even in the years GT is very active at games shows.

CJSpencer77
If PD/kaz is present then regardless if they actually have news or not id bet they will stir the hype tank anyway.

Yeah sure, Kaz just can't stop himself from spilling the beans on GT6 right?

No chance, he won't be anywhere near that place. Too many risks of people asking him questions.

Yeah sure, Kaz just can't stop himself from spilling the beans on GT6 right?

No chance, he won't be anywhere near that place. Too many risks of people asking him questions.

If Kaz can't bother to give any details about GT6 twenty-two months after GT5's release then I can't bother to care anymore.

Back