Taipei Game Show 2022

• Thread starter c0sm1c0wl
  • 66 comments
Today, it was the first time I remember, Kaz himself confirmed the launch date. So Slow down speculations about delay. We should be now very sure, the date will happen and any anytime now in the next weeks, the marketing gets ramped out.
Well, apparently the Taipei gaming show was recorded on the 8th of January and Kaz's speech could've been recorded way earlier.

Well, apparently the Taipei gaming show was recorded on the 8th of January and Kaz's speech could've been recorded way earlier.
Probably. He was still in the same clothes and area of the "Videos Seven".

Back in the day it was also cavorting druids, death by stoning and dung for dinner. A little information on this product they want us to spend money on wouldn't go amiss.
Excellent work Imari! And as a reward why don’t you take a short holiday…Did you enjoy it? Good!

Did a quick skip through the presentation. Didn't really learn anything new except the GR Supra uses brake LSD system similar to McLarens. Oh, and for all that talk about the GR Yaris' diff being simulated properly, we couldn't change the torque split like IRL :irked:

At least hearing Kaz speak something other than Japanese was pretty entertaining :lol: He should do that more often when international world tour events return.

You could just wait for the reviews.
I mean, obviously I'm going to do that anyway.

It's just that in my experience reviews can be highly critical, we've had a lot of high profile trash fires recently and so reviews will often highlight everything that is wrong with a game. Marketing material is the opposite, it's the most rose-tinted view of the game and all that's positive and exciting about it.

I'd quite like to see the best case scenario of what the developer thinks the game should be. If I'm not interested by that, I'm not going to be interested no matter what the reviews say. If I am interested, then I can look at reviews and decide how much of the negativity that they're putting out doesn't actually bother me because I'm keen to play. After all, it's not a reviewers job to try and sell more copies of the game.

I feel like only reading reviews without any marketing to back it up doesn't really do the game any favours. I can wait for the considered opinions of people I trust here, but it'd be nice to have at least some idea of whether I should be saving my shekels to try and purchase the game in the release window or whether I should just spend my money on any of the other good games that are available right now.

You could just wait for the reviews.
I mean, this is true, but it would still be nice to see Polyphony actually speak for themselves and show off the truly new features that GT7 is bringing to the table. Showing the truly new features of the game, features that make GT7 more unique compared to previous entries, is especially important for people like me, whose desire to buy GT7 directly influences my desire to buy a PS5.

So far, in terms of actual gameplay and features, GT7 seems like it's mostly filled with enhancements to things found in previous games. The map menu system harks back to GT4. The scapes system, which "started" in GTS, are a series of continual enhancements on GT4-6s photomode. The vehicle class system (which stills concerns me regarding its implementation) is something directly from GTS, etc. None of these are bad things per se, but it doesn't do anything to really set the game apart from older titles.

Things like improved AI, multi-class racing (how this isn't a thing with PD's close ties with Super GT and VLN, I have no clue), and a greater presence from the aftermarket scene (which I would expect in a game that claims to represent car culture) would do a good bit to get me excited. These are things that PDs competitors have done, and I have a hard time believing PD isn't capable of at least trying to implement these things. So far, the only new content we've gotten are some new cars, tracks, (polarizing) revisions of classic GT tracks, and some Music-Rally-Mode-Thing. 2 of those are the bare minimum expected for any sequel, one has the community somewhat split, and the last one was mentioned for a second with next-to-no details on what it was, like it was a fleeting thought that just popped into Kaz's head.

Also with reviews, while they are very useful, they are ultimately a representation of someone's subjective takes on a game, and something a reviewer doesn't like could be something that gets no more than a shoulder shrug from me (NFS Paybacks speedcard upgrade system springs to mind). It would be very nice if, alongside reviews, PD did more to tell me what sets their game apart, as well as what they want GT7 to be. Because if PD can make it interesting, then I'm more likely to get it, because they did their job in convincing me to spend money with them.

Last edited:
Appearances like these are bemusing to me because I wouldn't recognise the faces of any other game developer leads - because 99% of them just do the job in the background, and let the official trailers, in-game notifications and sales reps staff do the communications. There's nothing that Yamauchi has actually said in any of these behind-the-scenes appearances that have revealed anything about GT7.

His whole management style is weird to me. He makes himself front and centre publicly, giving out autographed copies of a game and makes himself the public figurehead despite not speaking a word of English and having a record of only saying convoluted and ambiguous statements in his own tongue. It doesnt serve the company at all.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back