Tokyo World Tour 5 2019

My only thoughts aside from "Congrats Kokubun!" are what an embarassing mess the Jag VGT race at Sardegna was. Kaz must have been horrified. The "Amateurs" who drove the same cars a couple of days before (on a fitting track) put on a way better display already, the car had been shown in action and I was looking forward to driving it. Job done, succesful launch. Then turn 1 carnage involving the best in the world. Thats what people remember.

It is so convenient that an invisible technical issue stopped the race. I am not saying there wasn't one, but when the positions shuffle like a pack of cards at T1 it is hard to say which is worse - it does seem unfair on drivers who qualified well, but then restarting is unfair on drivers who made the most of it, or recovered well.

Overall the races were enjoyable and there were a lot of them.

I wonder if we will get Spa with wet conditions, or if the wet version is added later. Rain is very appropriate for that track, so I'm glad it's near the top of the list for ones they added rain to.

I just want to say @Dodge Lamb and @Deafsun (and others) are our champs. You deserve to be there. We are proud to see you represent our area. We hope you continue to. Your time will come.

World Tour is a crap shoot. It took Kokubun a year to win one. It took Hizal a few tries. A Manu team of Fraga, Hizal and Kokubun wasn't even a lock.
And as Tom and Jimmy noted, Giorgio Mangano was also a World Tour winner but he hasn't won another since last year.

The Nissan team was a dream team, now i really miss that :lol:

On the Nations, I can't say I enjoyed this one. Too many drivers with an overdose of testosterone getting way too many warnings and penalties and impeding other people's races. Kaz needs to start weeding some of them out or put them on probation or something.

If I had my way, I'd tell the drivers that I'm dropping the small penalties and making them 5 and 10 seconds instead. Prevention will always be better than cure.

Some exciting close racing in this Series, but unfortunately also some of the worst racecraft I've seen on GTS amongst the top players. Would be sad if players like @Deafsun, @Dodge Lamb and a few others start to pull out because others don't care a damn how they race or how they impact on others. I really hope Kaz will have a serious look at this for the big final with some much more severe penalties or dq's.

To be fair, 99.999% of the racing in the series had very few collisions. Never ceases to amaze me the incredible skill those drivers race at extremely close proximity and speed without the amount of collisions and whatnot as others do.

To be fair, 99.999% of the racing in the series had very few collisions.

They saved the remaining 0.001% for the final itself then?:lol:

I dunno, maybe jet lag took people off their A game as quite a few of them looked dog tired? It could explain some of the wildest moves we've ever seen in these events as concentration levels must have taken a hit from it. I know what I'm like when I try and drive when I'm too tired and it's not pretty...

They saved the remaining 0.001% for the final itself then?:lol:

I dunno, maybe jet lag took people off their A game as quite a few of them looked dog tired? It could explain some of the wildest moves we've ever seen in these events as concentration levels must have taken a hit from it. I know what I'm like when I try and drive when I'm too tired and it's not pretty...
Unfamiliar equipment may have played a small part too.

I still can't get enough of the Manufacturer's Cup races, where in the final moments of the Maggiore race, Porsche were literally hypersonic, overtaking nearly everyone in plain sight. That overtaking mayhem might have caused Toyota to back out a little bit which sealed their fate for the remainder of the race, despite the GR Supra Racing Concept being such a mighty Gr. 3 racer.

I consider this a big lucky moment unless Kokubun predicted/saw the divebomb coming and put himself on the right.
Carrazza gained a huge amount in the first chicane without going off track. Kokubun must have made a mistake.

That's not what the video material shows.
I dunno which video you're watching. The gap goes from 1.5 going into the last of the Porsche Curves, to 0.6 going into the first chicane, to 0.3 coming out of it, without Carrazza putting more than 2 wheels off track. The last move was a dive-bomb, yes, but Carrazza had legitimate reason to believe he could make the pass, due to fuel or a mistake.

Something is still dont get is how the hell carraza made that lunge in nations final without:
1. Taking the lead car out
2. Going off track and losing positions
3. Cutting the corner

Its like there were 50 obvious ways that lunge could end in drama and he somehow found out a way to avoid a crash

Something is still dont get is how the hell carraza made that lunge in nations final without:
3. Cutting the corner

Its like there were 50 obvious ways that lunge could end in drama and he somehow found out a way to avoid a crash

See this screenshot:

The track itself and the kerb (track limit) are to the left of the red sausage kerb in the middle. Both cars are to the right of that kerb.

Carrazza made the dive, runs Kokubun off road, runs off track himself, at which point Akagi cuts the corner even further (entitled to do at that point) and wins.

In any standard FIA GT race, there would be two penalties given, one for running another car off track (5 seconds), and another for ignoring track limits (0.5 seconds). But here there were no penalties and he kept P2.

It might have made for good viewing, but Carrazza was never making that chicane at that speed.

Last edited:
3. Cutting the corner

I share your views, but according to another poster further above, he had the right to divebomb on that corner because the leader has made a mistake and that because of that he could have thought that he would make it. Personally I can't see the same picture.

Carrazza was repeatedly faster through the first of the Ford Chicanes - not just on that lap but all of them. The lunge came in the second part of the Ford Chicanes, I'd guess simply because he'd gained a big chunk on the first one and it was a choice of diving left or rear-ending Kokubun (into the gravel).

A more interesting question is what would have happened if either Kokubun or Carrazza - or both - got a track limits penalty for that corner cut... or worse, a track reset as the game is sometimes keen to do there. Kokubun was quite clearly not at fault for his corner cut, but that's never stopped the game chucking a track limits penalty before.

Would the stewards have stepped in and rescinded any penalty or would Carrazza have been allowed the win? If both got penalised, Latkovski was close enough to take the victory, so would he have been allowed it?

Carrazza was repeatedly faster through the first of the Ford Chicanes - not just on that lap but all of them. The lunge came in the second part of the Ford Chicanes, I'd guess simply because he'd gained a big chunk on the first one and it was a choice of diving left or rear-ending Kokubun (into the gravel).

I agree 100% with your synopsis of what probably transpired in the second part of the chicane, but it's the preferred choice to rear-end the leader that seems a rather questionable one.

As for your question on what if both drivers have received a penalty, I think I would rather not think about that potential Japanese horror.

My experience about this WT event.
It has been one of the greatest and most enjoyable WT events for me thus far. Not that I won the Supra cup there, just japan as a country, the people there etc. Like the support the japanese drivers were getting there was unreal and I was having a fun chat with them too xD. Also getting said that my japanese improving and my pronounciation being great for a non japanese guy made me happy xD. Meeting team Subaru and seeing their location at the Motor Show was awesome too!

But now to the Nations cup. As my semester has started at the beginning of october I was barely having time for GT (except of doing the GTPlanet league where I didn't need to prepare myself). So my main focus was to practice for the supra cup with the remaining time I had and just having fun on the Nations cup.
When we started our semi final group the first corner has been a carnage as the brakes of the jaguar vgt are not that great xD. Usually I was thinking at that time when I got taken out even being careful there that there should have been a Red flag. But for some reason they continued the race for 2 or 3 more laps and then stopped it.
Now onto the 2nd try xD. Again me being careful there but got into a sandwhich after T1 where Adam Suswillo was the victim unfortunatly. Then onto the hairpin after the uphill where I was braking much earlier as there were like 3 or 4 cars going side by side into that hairpin. But after having a look on the replay Manuel misjudged his braking, Hut Adam Wilk and therefor hit me where I was in a sandwhich again, getting pushed to the wall and there being a weird hitbox on the wall spinning my car. I was waiting like 5 seconds to Brooks who was driving at that moment to avoid an unsafe release but got slightly touched and my car being placed on the opposite direction. After that I tried to catch up and I managed to get the fastest lap on hards on the first stint which made me happy xD.
Also the repechage race has been fun and unfortunatly I missed by just as I couldn't overtake the Ford GT on the straight line. As a whole I really enjoyed it but man I feel for Brooks and for Carrazza.
For Brooks he's without a doubt the most unlucky driver on the live event. Always getting destroyed where he was never at his fault. For Carrazza as I felt him. Like getting a penalty which costed his win reminded me about the Paris WT event where I threw away the win because of the hitting the pit wall there.
But also on the same time I was so happy that Kokubun-san won it as he truly deserved it. Especially the japanese fans celebrating it like crazy made it even more beautiful.

Now onto the FIA Motorsport Games and the World Finals hehe

YgtxgHy.png

(sorry for interrupting a meme I'm unfamiliar with)

A more interesting question is what would have happened if either Kokubun or Carrazza - or both - got a track limits penalty for that corner cut... or worse, a track reset as the game is sometimes keen to do there. Kokubun was quite clearly not at fault for his corner cut, but that's never stopped the game chucking a track limits penalty before.
Can you be reset at the live events? I know they use a different build of the game so I imagine some features like that might not be present.

Back