Tooned/Vectored Cars + Stuff

• Thread starter donbenni
  • 3,937 comments
Originally posted by Cobraboy
Your tutorial is very good don, but it would be much better if you had more pictures describing your steps, :).

Yeah i thought that might be a problem. I really have trouble teaching people stuff because i always assume that they know as much as i do. Like when writing this, i didn't know how much i needed to explain. i didn't want to patronise people by going into extreme detail.

Also for most of the part, you need to experiment with vectors and find out the details yourself. Not because i'm being mean and can't be bother, but because 'there are some things that just can't be tought'.

Hehe, your method for creating wheel #2 is kinda goofy. You dont just merge all your layers and then resize. Yiu just keep the first wheel as a vector and the copy it, move to other side and adjust the nodes to fit. Or in the case of my recent GTR travesty, move the wheel over, remove left spokes and adjust ellipse to fit.
Never merge your vector layers. Even when your done, just copy/merge them to a new file and then save a new doc. You need to keep your vector layers the same so when you encounter a flaw you can easily change it.

Okay, I'm sort of in a confusion right now, somebody please help me clear things up a bit. Is the pen tool in Illustrator EXACTLY same like the one in Photoshop 7, or are they different? I've tried tracing a car in Photoshop, and IT'S REALLY HARD using the Photoshop pen tool.
I have no problem at all with the Illustrator pen tool (it's great).

Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured out what was wrong. Looked into the Photoshop help files and got an answer. :P Currently working on a Pagani Zonda vector. I need to colour it...

My first vector, and the colouring isn't really that good, I'm not happy with it. I wanna thank donbenni for that excellent tutorial you've provided us with. ;)

Oh - and here's the Zonda I made. I didn't do the wheels, and some minor colouring in the car yet.

130903-zondaunfinished.jpg

What do you think? Tell me more about shading and colouring...

EDIT : The picture is at that angle because the original reference picture I used was like that. So don't ask me why I didn't rotate it or anything. :P

That looks great! :) The shading and colouring looks fine, a few highlights in places with a lighter colour would look nice, but even as it is, it looks sweet 👍 Try the wheels and undercar shading, it will improve the pic a lot :)

I don't know what sparked that little firefight I just edited out of this thread, and frankly I don't care (that's vat_man code for don't think about raising it again), but let's try to play nicely, shall we? It would be a shame to close an otherwise useful thread...

Ok people i have AIM now. I'm donbenniuk (notice uk... someone took donbenni :() I'm on, just so you know... incase of chat or questions or whatever.

Back