Top gear test track changes

  • Thread starter Thread starter Doriya
  • 142 comments
  • 13,244 views

Should these changes be made?

  • Yes, these changes should be made

    Votes: 308 59.3%
  • No, the TGTT setup is fine

    Votes: 22 4.2%
  • Potato

    Votes: 189 36.4%

  • Total voters
    519
Messages
54
Just wanted to know how many people would like the top gear test track to have the following changes:

1) Cold/standing start
- This is to allow us to try and match the top gear lap times, without having to line up on the line ourselves.

2) Removal of cones
- To make the track look more realistic

Personally, I'd prefer these changes over any gearbox/tuning changes, but that's just me...

What do you guys think?

edit: Not to change any of the existing events/race, but to add a new feature (Top gear Power Lap times, or something)
 
I was hoping people would vote for potato more... This is extremely disappointing.
 
Insane they never had it to start (do they even GET Top Gear in Japan?).

Mind you, you had better put in some invisible barrier walls if you drop the cones. Or there will be some SERIOUS corner cutting going on...
 
Insane they never had it to start (do they even GET Top Gear in Japan?).

Mind you, you had better put in some invisible barrier walls if you drop the cones. Or there will be some SERIOUS corner cutting going on...

I think they do, but as a nation they go into a frenzy whenever anything ridiculous takes place (hence the many many rules being enforced on the top gear challenges), so the whole show has to be edited to show gundam monsters fighting whenever jeremy talks.

They could just invalidate the lap if you cut the corners too much, but stig has been known to cut a few corners here and there (2 wheels still on the track though).
 
can some one tell me where you can actually use the top gear track other than the special events and online? I was looking to do some laps but couldnt find it in arcade mode or practice...
 
can some one tell me where you can actually use the top gear track other than the special events and online? I was looking to do some laps but couldnt find it in arcade mode or practice...

You have to gold the beginner level top gear special event.
 
can some one tell me where you can actually use the top gear track other than the special events and online? I was looking to do some laps but couldnt find it in arcade mode or practice...

Get gold in the first special event.
 
I can't wait for kaz's minions to stumble upon this page and see the poll results.

We're all going to get a potato car soon :D
 
Weird how, on the rally courses, there are invisible walls that you bounce off of to prevent you driving off map, but Top Gear doesn't get them... just cones.

Inconsistency.
 
I went with "yes", but all I would really love, is a standing start..:(
None of this flying lap garbage, that's just not how it's done PD....:dunce:

Oh, and I have encountered invisible barriers around there too...can't remember though, it must have been online, cause I still haven't golded the combi's...:lol:
 
Weird how, on the rally courses, there are invisible walls that you bounce off of to prevent you driving off map, but Top Gear doesn't get them... just cones.

Inconsistency.

oh, there are PLENTY of invisible walls at the Top Gear track...
 
It's not hard to stop and do off the lines yourself...
 
they need to make a 2nd variation with access to the entire runway, very useful to test top speed and drag racing.
 
I'd like to see the cameras more resemble those they use on the actual broadcast.
 
they need to make a 2nd variation with access to the entire runway, very useful to test top speed and drag racing.

You can just do a free run?

Also - good luck getting your top speed on a stretch as "short" as an aircraft runway (about 2 miles). The track in Germany where VW and it's brands (Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley, Bugatti, Porsche, etc.) do all the top speed testing has a straight over 5.5 miles.
 
The cones are there to prevent people from taking short-cuts.

Yes, but they can do it another way (I think the cones slow you down a bit when you hit them as well).

They can just invalidate the lap if you go off course.


It's not hard to stop and do off the lines yourself...

By that same argument, it's also not hard to get to level 40 by ONLY doing the sunday cup... It's not fun, and it's a hassle, but it's not hard.
 
One more change: Remove the invisible walls :grumpy:
If i eat it coming out of Chicago, Baccarach, or Gambon, I want to be able to run out into the grass.
 
I just want a fourth top gear special event called "The Stig Challenge" where you have to drive that crappy modified car they use while the Stig sits in the passenger seat with his arms crossed and just stares at you.

I would also very much like the replay cameras to match the ones on the show, that would make me very happy.
 
Yay....potato!
 
See, it's polls like this with 2 options and a random funny option that succeed :lol:
I didn't vote potato, but it was very tempting.
 
Remove The Barriers Please PD
 
We do need standing starts, and I wouldn't mind the removal of the cones either.

I don't understand how PD could get this so wrong anyway. Prior to the release of GT5, I was under the impression that they had understood the concept of Top Gear as such. Every lap of the track done on the show has a standing start. GT5: rolling starts only...

With this, they basically took away the opportunity to cleanly lap the Top Gear test track close to reality to compare one's laptimes to the Stig's. I can accept that there is neither of the"reasonably priced cars" in the game due to licensing issues, even if I'd have loved to see them. But the non-standing start doesn't make the tiniest amount of sense to me.

I am aware that one can work around that problem by finding out where the timer starts and stopping right before that line to simulate a standing start. That however is the arguable solution to a problem which should never have existed in the first place.
 
Last edited:
W do need standing starts, and I wouldn't mind the removal of the cones either.

I don't understand how PD could get this so wrong anyway. Prior to the release of GT5, I was under the impression that they had understood the concept of Top Gear as such. Every lap of the track done on the show has a standing start. GT5: rolling starts only...

With this, they basically took away the opportunity to cleanly lap the Top Gear test track close to reality to compare one's laptimes to the Stig's. I can accept that there is neither of the "reasonably priced cars" in the game due to licensing issues, even if I'd have loved to see them. But the non-standing start doesn't make the tiniest amount of sense to me.

I am aware that one can work around that problem by finding out where the timer starts and stopping right before that line to simulate a standing start. That however is the arguable solution to a problem which should never have existed in the first place.

Though it's not a desirable solution, I just go into my personal lounge when I want to test a car and set the race laps to 1 and start the race. Standing start FTW.
 
Back