Top gear test track changes

  • Thread starter Thread starter Doriya
  • 142 comments
  • 13,244 views

Should these changes be made?

  • Yes, these changes should be made

    Votes: 308 59.3%
  • No, the TGTT setup is fine

    Votes: 22 4.2%
  • Potato

    Votes: 189 36.4%

  • Total voters
    519
Its not like any ones asking you to build Rome. This work around takes 4 seconds. What else you gonna do? NOTHING!!! At least I'm trying to make stuff work, all you want to do is come on to a website and complain. If that required getting off your ass, you probably wouldn't do that. OMG you people are willing to pop open ps3s and install new HDD but you don't wanna press a few buttons???
I am actually willing to make stuff work and don't mind needing a workaround here and there. I might need to see a reason however why the game developer did not solve this problem. So because I see not a single reason in this case, this track and the appearance of Top Gear in the game is just wasted massively for me. That is why I can't be bothered to do this. I only drove on the TG test track when I had to until now. If it would attract me in any way, I'd have a go. But it doesn't, and I blame PD for wasting so much potential.

Second of all, who said we were getting "a segment of GT5 based of the popular TV show Top Gear"? No one, people heard we were going to get the TGTT and seen some shots of The Stig in a trailer and people made all kinds of assumption. Look it up, Google it. Everything says GT5 will get that track not features from the show.

This is, again, another case of people jumping on the hype train and getting pissed off when it drops them off some where other than the promise land.
Let's imagine a scenario then, shall we?

A brainstorming session at PD...

Kaz:"Alright guys ... Top Gear. We got the Top Gear test track in the game. I need suggestions. What do you guys think are people gonna want to do with it in the game?"

*CUT*

Theory:
Employee 1:"Do timed laps to compare them to the TG lap time board."
Employee 2:"Do laps in the reasonably priced cars to see whether they can beat the celebrities."
Employee 3:"Chase the Stig in a comparable car over a fixed number of laps."
Kaz:"Great ideas, let's do that."

Reality:
Employee 1:"Drive the Samba Bus around the track and beat other Samba buses."
Employee 2:"Drive a tailhappy Lotus Elise with the worst tires and beat other Elises."
Employee 3:"Drive the Kuebelwagen around the track and beat other Kuebelwagens while avoiding crashing into some more Kuebelwagens that drive around the track randomly."
Kaz:"Great ideas, let's do that."
 
I think we can agree that in getting the rights to use the TGTT, it would only be totally logical that it would appear as it would in the show. On the other hand, in my 28 years of living I've found that logic doesn't always prevail, especially when money is involved.

Theory:
Employee 1:"Do timed laps to compare them to the TG lap time board."
Sony: "We don't have half of the cars."
Employee 2:"Do laps in the reasonably priced cars to see whether they can beat the celebrities."
Sony: *repeats themselves*
Employee 3:"Chase the Stig in a comparable car over a fixed number of laps."
Kaz:"Great ideas, let's do that."
Sony: "We have to pay BBC(not the driver) extra, for "The Stig" is a character who's right are reserved by BBC. Ya'll done spent enough money as it is. 2 million on blah blah."

Really what sets me off is one says, "I don't have the time to...." or "I have better things to do..". Dude this is a video game, a leisure activity, NOT SERIOUS BUSINESS(for the players anyway). You play this in order to waste time. Wtf you look like saying you dont have the time to do something, when all your are doing is, in fact wasting time.
 
I'm all for removing the invisible barriers and getting rid of the cones (and potatoes) if the track can be set up so that any track cutting invalidates your lap time (or DSQ's you from the race)...

Bottom line is that the Top Gear leaderboards come from ONLY 'road cars' (no track day cars, they must be high enough to get over a speed bump) and are run on street tires (no slicks). If you were going to set up a TG leaderboard, you'd have to specify that at least to get into the spirit of the challenge.

And yes, why can the Stig keep it floored through the follow-through, but we have to brake in most cars?

A brainstorming session at PD...

Kaz:"Alright guys ... Top Gear. We got the Top Gear test track in the game. I need suggestions. What do you guys think are people gonna want to do with it in the game?"

*CUT*

Theory:
Employee 1:"Do timed laps to compare them to the TG lap time board."
Employee 2:"Do laps in the reasonably priced cars to see whether they can beat the celebrities."
Employee 3:"Chase the Stig in a comparable car over a fixed number of laps."
Kaz:"Great ideas, let's do that."

Reality:
Employee 1:"Drive the Samba Bus around the track and beat other Samba buses."
Employee 2:"Drive a tailhappy Lotus Elise with the worst tires and beat other Elises."
Employee 3:"Drive the Kuebelwagen around the track and beat other Kuebelwagens while avoiding crashing into some more Kuebelwagens that drive around the track randomly."
Kaz:"Great ideas, let's do that."

You got a camera snuck into PD? That's pretty much how it must have gone down!
 
I think we can agree that in getting the rights to use the TGTT, it would only be totally logical that it would appear as it would in the show. On the other hand, in my 28 years of living I've found that logic doesn't always prevail, especially when money is involved.
absolutely.

Theory:
Employee 1:"Do timed laps to compare them to the TG lap time board."
Sony: "We don't have half of the cars."
Does that matter? Being able to do it with half of the cars is still better than not at all, no?

Employee 2:"Do laps in the reasonably priced cars to see whether they can beat the celebrities."
Sony: *repeats themselves*
I do agree that it was difficult to include the reasonably priced cars since the former-Daewoo part of Chevrolet is not in the game. Chevrolet in general is there though, and so is Suzuki. So it should have been possible as well as in the interest of PD to include these cars.

Employee 3:"Chase the Stig in a comparable car over a fixed number of laps."
Kaz:"Great ideas, let's do that."
Sony: "We have to pay BBC(not the driver) extra, for "The Stig" is a character who's right are reserved by BBC. Ya'll done spent enough money as it is. 2 million on blah blah."
Common problem, yes. But the Stig was shown in a Gran Turismo trailer. And even if that was a one-off regarding permissions, they could have given us a random driver with a generic suit and call it the "catch the other guy in two laps" challenge.

Really what sets me off is one says, "I don't have the time to...." or "I have better things to do..". Dude this is a video game, a leisure activity, NOT SERIOUS BUSINESS(for the players anyway). You play this in order to waste time. Wtf you look like saying you dont have the time to do something, when all your are doing is, in fact wasting time.
I'm not wasting time, I am investing time into things I deem worthwhile. I do have fun playing GT5, but it constantly rubs its shortcomings into my face whereever I click. That makes me question my enthusiasm regarding this game. I feel like they didn't put any effort in making this game, so I ask myself why I put any effort in playing it.
 
Last edited:
Defenatly standing starts. Without standing starts the track loses all purpose.
The cones I do not mind.. What I do mind is when im racing, after just one lap cones are all over the place...

Why the hell would you put cones all over the place and not program the AI to avoid them???
If i start last the cones dont matter because by the time i get to them they are no longer where they are supposed to be.... Come on PD... REALLY???

THey took the Top Gear Liscense and did absolutely nothing with it..

Its like taking toalet paper to the washroom with you and at the end of your business, you just pull up your pants and walk out...
 
Its like taking toilet paper to the washroom with you and at the end of your business, you just pull up your pants and walk out...

Exactly

We need at least one of the reasonably priced cars and as said before, standing starts.

and why can't we run the 1.3 miles (2.15k) of the runway? , the barrier is about halfway of the total length, if it about not having the other two runways on the site block them off with barriers.
 
Last edited:
I'd like it if they added dual head to head type shoot outs too, standing start & with both cars level on the start line. It would also be great if they had drag race track lay outs (from point A to point B down some of the straights), maybe do it on other tracks too & with a pink slip option so you could upload your cars before you race & the winner automatically gets the losers vehicle.


:)


Regarding cones, they should be removed. Maybe we could have a beginners & expert track, the later having none.
 
Thats not making life easier, thats just catering to the LAZY.

No... that's actually the definition of making life easier. Taking something tedious, and making it more simple. When I play a game, I don't play it for the tedium, I play it to have fun. Lining up a car time and time again is not fun to me (nor to many other people it seems). Racing a car around a track is fun. I don't know how you get your kicks...

If you have better thing to do then you probably shouldn't be playing a video game in the first place. Its like wanting to satisfy your woman but not wanting to put more than 10 minutes into it.

I have better things to do than lining up a car for a time trial. I guess you don't?... I feel sorry for you mate.

And no, your analogy with women doesn't apply here at all. Satisfying a woman is fun the whole way through. Lining up a car every time I want to set a time is not fun.

A better analogy would be taking a crap. Do you like digging a hole for your crap every time you need to go?... Is it just being LAZY if you choose to use a toilet?

Get you priorities straight, son!

My priorities are great. I think you're the one who needs some re-analysis... If you've got nothing better to do than line up your cars to do a time trial, then you need to get out more.
 
Its not like any ones asking you to build Rome. This work around takes 4 seconds. What else you gonna do? NOTHING!!! At least I'm trying to make stuff work, all you want to do is come on to a website and complain. If that required getting off your ass, you probably wouldn't do that. OMG you people are willing to pop open ps3s and install new HDD but you don't wanna press a few buttons???

Exactly, it's a work around. We've found the way to remove the work around. Add a standing start. If people like you controlled society, it'd fall apart because everything would just be a workaround. "Don't need that new bridge, they can drive on the old one, it still works.", "Don't need that elevator fixed, the stairs still work."

Second of all, who said we were getting "a segment of GT5 based of the popular TV show Top Gear"? No one, people heard we were going to get the TGTT and seen some shots of The Stig in a trailer and people made all kinds of assumption. Look it up, Google it. Everything says GT5 will get that track not features from the show.

Nobody said we would. But it's something we (the majority of us) would prefer.

This is, again, another case of people jumping on the hype train and getting pissed off when it drops them off some where other than the promise land.

Who is getting pissed off? We're having a discussion about an aspect of the game we'd like changed. You seem to be pissed off at people having a discussion though.
 
Seems every single person and troll in this thread has forgotton Kaz stated that " The top gear test track leaves the opportunity for special online events and competitions" . You ALL fail. /close thread. Top gear events will come for the patient.

P.S I agree about standing start, but seriously you roll around 2 corners then stop. Rev Engine then go, it isn't hard. Posting/whinging in this forum takes a lot more effort. I would like to see standing start but i'm not using up my kleenex box thinking about it.
 
Seems every single person and troll in this thread has forgotton Kaz stated that " The top gear test track leaves the opportunity for special online events and competitions" . You ALL fail. /close thread. Top gear events will come for the patient.

Source.
They should have properly made the track before even thinking about making events for it.
 
Really what sets me off is one says, "I don't have the time to...." or "I have better things to do..". Dude this is a video game, a leisure activity, NOT SERIOUS BUSINESS(for the players anyway). You play this in order to waste time. Wtf you look like saying you dont have the time to do something, when all your are doing is, in fact wasting time.

Exactly, this is a video game. A leisure activity. I don't do things I don't find fun in this game. Sure, I play this to waste time, but I only do what I enjoy in it.

Therefore, I don't do the 24 hour endurance races, I don't drive a nascar anymore than I have to, and I don't line up my car for a standing start.

Especially when I want to compare times with other people. Say I beat stig or cowell or jk's times. I then want to beat my mates time, or a gtplanet leaderboard time.

How do I know the people posting started at exactly the same spot on the line as me? And how do I know they actually started from a standstill?

Having it regulated and controlled would fix all that up in a jiffy.

You're 28 years old, yet you're really so ignorant that you can't see what others are saying?

Yes, you've suggested a work around (which I'm sure everybody has thought of). That work around isn't good enough for 60% of the people who have viewed this topic (93% if you don't count the potato votes). Obviously, a vast majority would prefer it be changed to a standing start.

Yet you still proceed to call everybody who wants it lazy?....

I sincerely hope you aren't in politics/government or any form of leadership position. You don't seem to be able to understand what people want. Instead, you try to push your idea of how things should be done...

Again, we all know you can drive to the line, and stop. We see that as a hassle (a minor hassle yes, but still a hassle). What is your solution? Suggest we drive to the line and stop, disregard all other possible solutions. Very constructive.
 
Source.
They should have properly made the track before even thinking about making events for it.

Some super internet searcher will dig out the source no doubt soon enough, they will have remember reading it. If not I shall dig around google soon.
 
71u6j7.jpg

I just found this pic in the car list. Where are the cones? There obviously was at one point a version without cones.
 
I'd like to see the cameras more resemble those they use on the actual broadcast.

This.

I watch so much Top Gear (like, every episode since 2002) that the GT5 replay on that track looks very wrong to me.

This track is a missed opportunity -- They could have done so much more with it, such as recreating races that were in the TV show -- e.g. the battle between Evo 8 FQ-400 and Murcielago LP640.
 
Seems every single person and troll in this thread has forgotton Kaz stated that " The top gear test track leaves the opportunity for special online events and competitions" . You ALL fail. /close thread. Top gear events will come for the patient.

P.S I agree about standing start, but seriously you roll around 2 corners then stop. Rev Engine then go, it isn't hard. Posting/whinging in this forum takes a lot more effort. I would like to see standing start but i'm not using up my kleenex box thinking about it.

'Opportunity' is not the same thing as a FACT. Epic fail.

You have the 'opportunity' to be the Prime Minister of New Zealand. Doesn't meant that you ARE going to be, though, does it?

Vaguely worded allusions to potential events don't compensate for the fact that a MINOR patch could give one and all (including you, though I doubt you'll acknowledge the benefit) what we all want at the TGTT. A 'Static Start' (like most other courses allow) with a player count of 'One' would give one and all the equality of times that a TGTT leaderboard SHOULD.

And posting in defense of the indefensible takes up just as much time. Time you could be spending inching up to an imaginary start line for the imaginary TGTT leaderboard. Might need those kleenex's after all!
 
There are loads of challenges they could/can do with the track. You can still do the 5L of petrol challenge for exotics. You could still have an economy battle vs a prius. They could create a 1/4 mile drag race variant for the runway, etc etc.

However, why they didn't model the reasonably priced cars may be the strangest decision. They knew the top gear track was going to be used obviously. They probably had a year or more to get this done but they didn't. It's just baffling.
 
I wish the replay camera looked the same as the show, even more so in the follow-through! I love when they fly by the tires and the camera shakes.
 
Same replay angles, no cones, standing start time trials.

Also, this is a pretty simple concept, but you don't do full field races on a figure 8 circuit! It's not rocket science. PD completely failed with this track IMO.

Hopefully T10 can do a better job in Forza 4. Not sure if that partnership has anything to do with the poor job PD did, but from the surface it looks as though Top Gear jumped ship. And judging by the overall quality of GT5 and the hype leading up to FM4, that may not have been such a bad move
 
I would love a free roam version with the whole runway, no cones and invisible walls only at the extreme outer limits of the area (that's none on the infield) if you ever try to race people on line at this track almost all the rooms stay on free roam and never progress to the race cause everyone is having fun mucking around, makes this a no brainer really. It's actually a bit annoying if you want to have a race there. Also do people find the cast iron brake markers annoying, monza too
 
I guess it would be nice, though I don't think the lap times you'd run in GT5 would have much to do with what they run on the show as the tires (even if you choose the "stock" tires) get different amounts of traction that in real life.
 
Also do people find the cast iron brake markers annoying, monza too


Oh yes. One time I was at over 250km/h when my FGT hit the brake markers on Monza which caused me to come to a complete stop. I was like :crazy: wth happened?

They should take it out of the game (or revamp the damage model) these small things are just so annoying.
 
oh, there are PLENTY of invisible walls at the Top Gear track...

yep, managed to hit a few of 'em in the Lotus challenge...

and potato also got my vote 👍
 
Was I the only one to get the movie with stig in the studio with an aston before the bus race. would make a great photomode location
 
What is your solution? Suggest we drive to the line and stop, disregard all other possible solutions. Very constructive.

You got me, man. I should know that coming to an unofficial forum and complaining is the right thing to do. :rolleyes:

The fact of the matter is, we are not PD. The only productive thing we can do is a work around. You can post here, but you're HOPING someone from PD MIGHT read it, and IF they agree, something MAY change. Screw hope, might, if, may and any other word of uncertainty. I'm suggesting a way to fix it NOW.

Yes, I do thinks its lazy. People rather cry and complain until someones else does something instead of making it work themselves. If thats not lazy...

PS: Anytime someone makes a personal, off topic shot, I feel like you know I'm right and your running out of points to defend your topic.
 
I hate the cones they are always getting in the way. Cant they just get rid of them.
 
I think you should be able to drive all of Dunsfold. Choose you presenter and have a track without the cones.
 
Back