Top gear test track changes

  • Thread starter Thread starter Doriya
  • 142 comments
  • 13,244 views

Should these changes be made?

  • Yes, these changes should be made

    Votes: 308 59.3%
  • No, the TGTT setup is fine

    Votes: 22 4.2%
  • Potato

    Votes: 189 36.4%

  • Total voters
    519
Though it's not a desirable solution, I just go into my personal lounge when I want to test a car and set the race laps to 1 and start the race. Standing start FTW.

Better than nothing, I guess... :indiff:
 
they need to make a 2nd variation with access to the entire runway, very useful to test top speed and drag racing.

This^

And they need to stop the AI braking when they go through the left kink between the first and second corner.

Also i would like it if you could go off the course and onto the grass rather then bouncing back of an invisible wall, but only on the outside of corners. The amount of times ive got the car out of shape in the follow through and the invisible wall bounces you back on the track to continue your lap
 
It's not hard to stop and do off the lines yourself...

You have to be joking.

I voted yes. I would love PD to actually get something like this right.
 
Replay camera angles should match the ones from the show where possible. Oh and a yes vote from me definitely.
 
The ability to use the whole runway.

No cones.

Standing starts.

The end.
 
I concur:

Standing Starts - massively overlooked feature.

Remove the invisible barriers - even my Missus said to me yesterday "Why is the car stopping when I drive over the grass?". If you make a mistake and run onto the grass, having an invidible barrier 1m into the grass is rediculous. Would it be that hard to give a larger run-off??

Replay angles to match TG - simple, so simple.
 
Last edited:
Yep we should definitely have standing starts and the removing of cones. Also like other people have mentioned replays should look like on TV. They really could have done so much more with the Top Gear license. Competing against the Stig for power lap times is a glaring omission
 
racing this track online is horrible especially when cones is knock over
 
Anybody else noted the errors on this track. Ie how it looks different in the rear view mirror?
 
An error I've noticed is that you have to brake befor going through the followthrough. On the show they do not brake. Also when the barriers at the hammerhead are shown they are barriers but when you look in the rear view mirroron bumber cam they are cones.

I think there do need to be new features.

Full access to runway
TG Replay Cameras
Removal of Cones (or at least an option to switch them off) and invisible barriers
Standing starts
 
No invisible walls. Only around the outside lines and then like 10 meters from the track. Also it need to have the same camera angles, remove those annoying cones and the barrier on the straight.
Standing start and a Stig leaderbord with all his times would be great.
 
standing starts, and tv camera positions. I'm ok with the cones.

bill
 
Honestly I think they did away with the standing starts so people DON'T try and replicate the Stigs times, lest it shows up some inconsistencies.
I vote YES for including them though. I dont mind the cones so much, it gives me an indication of if I've pushed it to far and should abort the lap.
I would sooooo much like the invisible walls to disappear though - you don't know how many times I hot lapped the F40 (untuned) with no ABS on this track, and sometimes (actually make that a lot!:guilty:) got it wildly out of shape and rocketed off into the grass... for about 30cm :(

The Top Gear camera angles are a must too, oh to see that F40 do flat spin after flat spin through the infield!:dopey:
 
Yep we should definitely have standing starts and the removing of cones. Also like other people have mentioned replays should look like on TV. They really could have done so much more with the Top Gear license. Competing against the Stig for power lap times is a glaring omission

I really thought that a "Stig's Challenge" would have been a no brainer. I don't know if that's possible, but maybe we can get that in an update. It would have to be pretty sizable though.

The other thing about the standing starts, you can go from a standing start if you creep up to the line. You have to know where exactly to position yourself. It takes a little practice but it's possible. Would be nice to have this as a default setting though.
 
I don't mind the cones but I do want a patch to implement standing grid starts.
 
Mind you, you had better put in some invisible barrier walls if you drop the cones. Or there will be some SERIOUS corner cutting going on...

This happened to me online in a way i've never even thought about :scared:

Back on point, Standing starts from the TV show line would be great 👍
 
I don't mind the cones but I do want a patch to implement standing grid starts.

The cones I can understand. A lot of people here in the United States don't watch the original Top Gear. Many don't even know what it is (BBC America still isn't on many cable systems) and many more won't watch it because they feel it's "too foreign" (but that's a topic for another time). If you've never seen the program, then you won't be familiar with the track, and quite frankly the track is difficult to discern in places. So you would need some kind of indicator as to where the corners are.
 
The cones I can understand. A lot of people here in the United States don't watch the original Top Gear. Many don't even know what it is (BBC America still isn't on many cable systems) and many more won't watch it because they feel it's "too foreign" (but that's a topic for another time). If you've never seen the program, then you won't be familiar with the track, and quite frankly the track is difficult to discern in places. So you would need some kind of indicator as to where the corners are.

Say what? I hardly know a person that doesn't know what Top Gear is, much less think it's hilarious. I don't think it's worth debating how widely it is seen here (I can tell you that is is seen widely enough to warrant the American version to be tried out), but I do think that you are painting with broad strokes.

Also, I haven't heard of a cable/satellite company that doesn't have BBC America? More people get BBC America than the NFL Network.
 
What about also have a layout so we can navigate around the airport, and drag race/fooling around with cars like the presenters do on their power-tests.
 
Really tempted to vote Potato :)

The cones are annoying, especially on the exit of Chicago on the way to Hammerhead. I've only ever seen Terry Wogan take that line!

I wish they'd move the invisible walls further back, especially on the second to last corner. Standing start option is a must and the having to do a whole lap before a time counts online should be scrapped (annoying on TGTT, rediculous on Nurburgring).
 
Voted potato, just 'cause. =)

I agree on many points here ...

• Access to the entire track, empty, for free roam hooning and testing.
• An optional version of the course with no cones, perhaps with cutting penalties. Leave the "walls" for online use.
• Power Lap options, even with no Stig comparisons. Compete with your friends.

These would be great additions.
 
Say what? I hardly know a person that doesn't know what Top Gear is, much less think it's hilarious. I don't think it's worth debating how widely it is seen here (I can tell you that is is seen widely enough to warrant the American version to be tried out), but I do think that you are painting with broad strokes.

Also, I haven't heard of a cable/satellite company that doesn't have BBC America? More people get BBC America than the NFL Network.

Okay, that's people that you specifically know. Bigger cities are going to carry BBC America. There are alot of people though in the United States who don't care for anything British or "foreign". So you really have to take that into account. A guy I work with refuses to watch it because he feels it's "not relevant", mainly because they don't feature enough Japanese cars. I think the awareness level is much higher now because of the 60 Minutes feature a couple months back. I'm one of those who really doesn't mind the US version, as long as I get to still see the original. On my cable system (Comcast) BBC America and the NFL Network are on the same tier. So if you upgrade you get both of them.

But I digress. It's a debate for another time.. You have to admit though, that the track isn't very clearly marked, and if you're not that familiar with it it's easy to run straight off into the grass.
 
Last edited:
You have to admit though, that the track isn't very clearly marked, and if you're not that familiar with it it's easy to run straight off into the grass.

I completely agree here, and therefore understand why PD added the cones. You can get the Top Gear track for PC sims like GTR2 and it has no cones. It took me about 8 tries to actually find the track, much less drive it well. I got around it on GT5 on the first try. The cones are placed well.
 
agree as well. standing starts, no invisible walls, and no cones. I think cones should be optional, and while we are at it lets specify which type of cone. If you notice on the Top Gear events there are actually two types of cones. Stripped cones that just show you were to go, and solid orange cones that cause a DQ when hit.

I think having the option to toggle off the stripped cones would be perfect. It would look more like the show, people that know the track would appreciate that, but the DQ's for cutting off the track would still stand.
 
they need to make a 2nd variation with access to the entire runway, very useful to test top speed and drag racing.
They could just keep the same version and do that to be honest.
Also - good luck getting your top speed on a stretch as "short" as an aircraft runway (about 2 miles). The track in Germany where VW and it's brands (Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley, Bugatti, Porsche, etc.) do all the top speed testing has a straight over 5.5 miles.

So you'll struggle with a couple of cars. There have only been two or three they couldn't get to top speed on Top Gear, most are fine and either way it's better than the... nothing we have now.
 
Reinstate coal scuttle helmets on the Kubelwagon drivers, they're racing helmets, now.
 
I think that it would be nice to:
Have standing starts.
Replay angles like the show.
Move the invisible walls a bit further out.

Potato FTW!
 
Not too bothered about the cones or the walls, but standing starts are a no-brainer.
As a Brit in the USA I've been surprised how well known TG is over here - especially when I wore my "I am the Stig" T shirt to work! :)
 
Not too bothered about the cones or the walls, but standing starts are a no-brainer.
As a Brit in the USA I've been surprised how well known TG is over here - especially when I wore my "I am the Stig" T shirt to work!

Americans love British Top Gear, Americans do not love American Top Gear. lol.
 
I haven't done a flying lap-lap around the track yet though. So far in the practice mode on the track once they start you on the straight I just coast to the start line. Make sure I didn't trip the lap timer. Then do the standing start that way....

Would be nice to just have a mode to start you like that. Would make it easier and more consistent, but its not huge for me.

Needs to get rid of the cone for the non-competition version of the track though. It takes a lot of the immersion factor away. And they need to have Chevy Lacetti and Suzuki Liana and whatever else they use now for the reasonably priced car...
 
Back