Total noob in need of help

• Thread starter veryferry
  • 18 comments
Netherlands
The Hague
veryferry
Dear GTPlaneteers,

I'm having struggles: three days ago I started trying drifting. I first started with a Honda Odyssey, tuned exactly the same way as explained here.
After that I tried a Nissan Silvia S13 and set it up like this. This was even worse then the first, and I didn't seem to keep it straight even if I didn't want to drift :P

I found myself spinning lots of times. I just can't seem to keep it steady or save it from spinning.
I've read that it's found harder to do with a wheel, which I'm doing myself (I use a G25).

Am I a complete noob OR are the cars and settings I used more for the somewhat more experienced drifters?

Now, what I would like to ask is:

1) What's the best beginner drifting car to start learning? (including parts and settings please)
2) What are the best Driving Options to start with? (AT/MT, ABS, Steering Sensitivity etc.)
3) What are the best settings for my G25 steeringwheel?
4) Any other tips to get me started?

Thanks in advance!

No problem! 👍
I'm having difficulties in drifting on GT6 too and have thought, that i'll have to try that sometime too :)

Thanks. I did see you used a ps3 controller with that setup. I use a wheel. Does that make a difference in how I should approach the tune?
Slightly, but i'm not sure on the specifics though. I've never used a wheel so I can't begin to understand where the changes may differ, I do know that drifting on a wheel is a lot harder than using a controller though

Slightly, but i'm not sure on the specifics though. I've never used a wheel so I can't begin to understand where the changes may differ, I do know that drifting on a wheel is a lot harder than using a controller though

I heard that too, but I also heard that WHEN you eventually get the hang of it, it's actually better and more fun :D

The first thing I would recommend is that you watch Keiichi Tsuchiya's "Drift Bible" on YouTube. The majority of what he teaches in that video can be applied to GT, especially if you are on a wheel. It also just helps get you familiar with some drifting lingo and whatnot.

@BayouSimDrifter linked the video in this thread here:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/wanna-know-how-to-drift-ask-here.296641/#post-9324220

As far as what car to use, I would recommend something that is low powered and FR, on CH tires. Some good examples:

- Mazda FC RX7
- Nissian Silvia (S13, S14, S15)
- Toyota AE86

Or something slightly different,
- Nissian Skyline GTS-R (R31)...my new personal favorite :)

I've seen some people suggest you leave the car stock to begin with. If that's not working for you, try increasing the power a bit, but nothing more that 300hp to start off.

As far as aids, you want to turn everything OFF (no TCS, no skid recovery, etc), except for ABS, which you can leave on 1. Some people use ABS, others don't, it's just personal preference.

I would recommend you start on the skidpad at the last corner of Streets of Willow. Start by just trying to do donuts, then attempt to drift around the big white circle drawn on the ground. Other good tracks to get your feet wet include:

- GT Arena
- High Speed Ring (the S-bend, both directions)
- Road Course Indy (the double hairpin, both directions).

Another useful thing to practice is to try to do a few laps at a track you know well, using CH tires. However, don't try to drift, try to drive it normally. This will help you learn the grip levels of the CH tire.

It is possible to drift on more grippy tires, but the more grip you have, the more snappy the car becomes, and you have to be much quicker and more precise with your inputs.

Good luck...and try to not get frustrated by spinning out...we've all spun out more times than we can count, it's all part of the fun :)

The first thing I would recommend is that you watch Keiichi Tsuchiya's "Drift Bible" on YouTube. The majority of what he teaches in that video can be applied to GT, especially if you are on a wheel. It also just helps get you familiar with some drifting lingo and whatnot.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/wanna-know-how-to-drift-ask-here.296641/#post-9324220

As far as what car to use, I would recommend something that is low powered and FR, on CH tires. Some good examples:

- Mazda FC RX7
- Toyota AE86

I've seen some people suggest you leave the car stock to begin with. If that's not working for you, try increasing the power a bit, but nothing more that 300hp to start off.

As far as aids, you want to turn everything OFF (no TCS, no skid recovery, etc), except for ABS, which you can leave on 1. Some people use ABS, others don't, it's just personal preference.

I would recommend you start on the skidpad at the last corner of Streets of Willow. Start by just trying to do donuts, then attempt to drift around the big white circle drawn on the ground. Other good tracks to get your feet wet include:

- GT Arena

Another useful thing to practice is to try to do a few laps at a track you know well, using CH tires. However, don't try to drift, try to drive it normally. This will help you learn the grip levels of the CH tire.

It is possible to drift on more grippy tires, but the more grip you have, the more snappy the car becomes, and you have to be much quicker and more precise with your inputs.

Good luck...and try to not get frustrated by spinning out...we've all spun out more times than we can count, it's all part of the fun :)

Thanks a bunch! Sounds like good advise. I got work to do :D

Tsukuba is the easiest to learn on in my opinion. Every tune will vary from driver to driver and what they like, it's best to learn what the settings do and tune your own cars.

Tsukuba is the easiest to learn on in my opinion. Every tune will vary from driver to driver and what they like, it's best to learn what the settings do and tune your own cars.

In GT5 Autumn Mini was also a good track to learn drifting. That was with the ds3 controller. Just like veryferry, I use a wheel now instead of a controller. I think I stay with GT racing :rolleyes:

Good luck to Veryferry ;)

In GT5 Autumn Mini was also a good track to learn drifting. That was with the ds3 controller. Just like veryferry, I use a wheel now instead of a controller. I think I stay with GT racing :rolleyes:

Good luck to Veryferry ;)
That's a great track to practice on. It helps one learn control of the car.

I still suck hard, but I did manage to get two photos to make it look like I know what I'm doing :P

drift_002.jpg

drift_001.jpg

- Mazda FC RX7
- Toyota AE86

- GT Arena

My brother Twitcher is right and also if you ever need help you can look for some of us and we can explain more in detail (with a mic) to help you understand how to get your vehicle to do what you want it to do. Most people ask for settings or tunes but there are some of us that would rather give our input on How and Why something works so you can get your own perfect setup that suits your style. Great pics and Good luck bro.

As @PUSH says, its very hard to give clear and concise solutions to problems. Most of the important bits come down to how the car feels and how you interact with the vehicle/track. Experienced drivers/tuners can hop in a car and feel where its good and where it needs improvements, also how the car wants to be driven and what techniques will work best. This said it can be very difficult to explain your thought process without going into huge and wordy explanations about the various aspects of tuning and physics.

Back