Touring Car discussion - WTCC, BTCC etcTouring Cars 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think it should go here but since its a support race, Formula 4 at Donington just had one of the scariest smacks I've seen for a while. As far as I'm aware both drivers are OK receiving medical attention. Shades of Memo Gidley.

Plus the clio cup had a rollover.

Edit: Unsure as to the status of the F4 incident so have removed video.

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware both drivers are OK receiving medical attention.
There is no confirmation on that, from the limited information on ITV they are still providing medical attention at the scene, not at the medical centre. Looks like a very serious accident, it might be against the GTP AUP to post a video.

There is no confirmation on that, from the limited information on ITV they are still providing medical attention at the scene, not at the medical centre. Looks like a very serious accident, it might be against the GTP AUP to post a video.
Don't think it should go here but since its a support race, Formula 4 at Donington just had one of the scariest smacks I've seen for a while. As far as I'm aware both drivers are OK receiving medical attention. Shades of Memo Gidley.

Plus the clio cup had a rollover.

One driver was airlifted about 10 minutes ago. BTCC R2 at 2:40, schedule obviously been a bit of a mess.

One driver was airlifted about 10 minutes ago. BTCC R2 at 2:40, schedule obviously been a bit of a mess.
I assume that was Billy Monger, looked like he got the worst of it, possibly the gearbox entering the drivers area. Fingers crossed for the best.

Update here:

Off topic but it was cool when we had a thread for BTCC (and support races) rather than having everything in a single thread. The forum rules banned us for using that one for this season.

Thanks for clarifying guys. Taken the vid off for the moment. Hoping for the best.
I assume that was Billy Monger, looked like he got the worst of it, possibly the gearbox entering the drivers area. Fingers crossed for the best.

Update here:

Off topic but it was cool when we had a thread for BTCC (and support races) rather than having everything in a single thread. The forum rules banned us for using that one for this season.

I wasn't really posting on GTP (hadn't since October) or I would create one, no point now season has started.

Also Monger is still in the car, marshals are trying to extract him as we speak (from a FB group with some people trackside reporting in).

I wasn't really posting on GTP (hadn't since October) or I would create one, no point now season has started.

Also Monger is still in the car, marshals are trying to extract him as we speak (from a FB group with some people trackside reporting in).
WTF, that wreck happened over 1 hr ago. He should have been on the chopper 30 min ago.

WTF, that wreck happened over 1 hr ago. He should have been on the chopper 30 min ago.

He was trapped in the car. Carbon fibre is designed not to move and deform...

1: If the impact is enough to move carbon fibre you know it's serious.
2: If it took that severe a hit marshals with tools are not going to make an impression.
3: If you have lower extremities injured you do not want to try and extricate unless totally sure .
4: Also consider possible spinal issues from compression and deceleration.

EDIT: This minute he has been extracted and headed to the air ambulance.

Last edited:

Nope, that's up to the doctor. Traction and preservation can be undertaken at the scene of the accident if the doctor's happy to do so... in this case it seems she or he was. That's not to say that the response to this severe crash shouldn't be examined for design or procedure improvements - that's a given.

The crash looked nasty, his head came a long way forward. For those who didn't see it (and it's not postable here) Monger's car arrived unsighted at full speed into the back of a stopped car at the side of the track.

For the curious it's findable on youtube as something like "F4 donington crash" or similar.

The track was obviously too wet to race with so many going off on the warm up laps but the organisers were willing to let the race go on until they lost one of their favourite Honda's.

The track was obviously too wet to race with so many going off on the warm up laps but the organisers were willing to let the race go on until they lost one of their favourite Honda's.

Problem was no cars on track prior to wash away rain and create a dry line.

Matt Neal is out of the race, his dad is explaining it on TV but strangely hasn't threatened to punch anybody yet.

Matt Neal is out of the race, his dad is explaining it on TV but strangely hasn't threatened to punch anybody yet.

Rules are rules, he did it to himself when the marshals were pushing him out and he powered it into the gravel.

@Jimlaad43 being a track marshal, you should be able to perhaps tell us about procedure?
If a driver is seriously injured, the first thing you will see is a marshal run to the car and put his fist in the air - that is the signal that means "get a doctor here". The marshals will do their best to do what seems right, but it's mainly a case of wait for the doctors to arrive and do exactly what they say. The best thing a marshal can do if the injuries aren't immediately life threatening (such as a major bleed), is to make the situation safe. This includes putting out fires, turning the cars off and chocking them so they don't roll away. It's then a case of protect the driver, the doctors and other marshals, and help if a doctor tells you to. Doctors take control, and if they need to take a while to cut the car, they take a while. It's better to spend an extra 10 minutes cutting a car that is safe than to drag a driver out. If the air ambulance has arrived on scene, they are there for when the driver has been evacuated, not when they get there. Once that's done, and the driver is gone, the cars will be taken away to the scrutineers to be investigated behind closed doors.

I hope Billy is alright, I've been involved in two major incidents like that, one of which was fatal. I hope the marshals involved are OK, because it's not nice seeing another person in a lot of pain.

Was a real awful accident. Made me jump upon on impact when I was watching it, was just so sudden. As @Furinkazen mentioned, if the impact's enough to move Carbon Fibre, you now it's a big one. Plus as they mentioned on ITV, Carbon Fibre cannot simply be cut through conventionally like metal can due to it's composition and properties.

And at the end of the day, with their potentially being some very serious injuries to his lower extremities, it was much better that the doctors and marshal's involved took their time in making sure Billy was extracted safely, regardless of how long it takes (relative to the injury of course). Plus I have no doubt that Monger was in the safest of hands with regards to his care, what with the marshal's and doctors etc on hand, so top job to them.

Either way, hope Billy is ok, and recovers well, wasn't a nice crash at all, thoughts go out to him and his family.

If a driver is seriously injured, the first thing you will see is a marshal run to the car and put his fist in the air - that is the signal that means "get a doctor here". The marshals will do their best to do what seems right, but it's mainly a case of wait for the doctors to arrive and do exactly what they say. The best thing a marshal can do if the injuries aren't immediately life threatening (such as a major bleed), is to make the situation safe. This includes putting out fires, turning the cars off and chocking them so they don't roll away. It's then a case of protect the driver, the doctors and other marshals, and help if a doctor tells you to. Doctors take control, and if they need to take a while to cut the car, they take a while. It's better to spend an extra 10 minutes cutting a car that is safe than to drag a driver out. If the air ambulance has arrived on scene, they are there for when the driver has been evacuated, not when they get there. Once that's done, and the driver is gone, the cars will be taken away to the scrutineers to be investigated behind closed doors.

I hope Billy is alright, I've been involved in two major incidents like that, one of which was fatal. I hope the marshals involved are OK, because it's not nice seeing another person in a lot of pain.

Interesting, that's the same signal used to notify lifeguards when someone is in trouble at sea. Used it once when a guy got knocked out by his board, we were a bit further inshore and saw his mate struggling to hold on to him and signal at the same time. It didn't take long for a lifeguard to come running after we raised our arms, was impressed at how well it worked.

I was watching the BTCC and saw the Billy Monger crash, didn't realize how bad it was until seeing the replay in slow mo on Youtube, you can see his right leg being pushed back up into the steering wheel. Hopefully it's not too bad, as bad breaks can lead to amputation if the blood can't circulate. I think that nearly happened to Mick Doohan after one of his crashes, the blood wasn't circulating but luckily the Doctors/ surgeons managed to sort it and saved his foot.

Hoping it all works out for Monger 👍

Interesting, that's the same signal used to notify lifeguards when someone is in trouble at sea. Used it once when a guy got knocked out by his board, we were a bit further inshore and saw his mate struggling to hold on to him and signal at the same time. It didn't take long for a lifeguard to come running after we raised our arms, was impressed at how well it worked.
Well, it can be seen from a long way away, the choice is probably related.

Oh my, just watched the crash, wasn't expecting that by any means. Saw the on board footage. Poor kid. I really hope this doesn't stop him racing.

The word is Billy Monger lost both of his legs.
We've only heard this from a Crowdfunding page which we have no idea whether it is genuine or not.

Nothing said about it on the JHR Developments Twitter or Tom Ingram who's referenced on the page.

Apparently, Alice Powell is good friends with him and the family so i'll go with it being more official than not.

I just saw the just giving page shared by BTCC. Feel really bad for the kid. I couldn't imagine being that good then having it all taken away and your life drastically changed at just 17.

In the only, and very slight, good news of this whole ordeal is that the 260k target has been smashed already.

Tragic, but this is just the start. Zenardi came back. Nothing to say this young man can't do the same. He hasn't lost his life and good thing he's in a world where, technology is on his side.

Tragic, but this is just the start. Zenardi came back. Nothing to say this young man can't do the same. He hasn't lost his life and good thing he's in a world where, technology is on his side.

This.

Whilst it was shocking to hear about, this is by no means the end of Billy's career. in fact it's very much the opposite, after all, as Zanardi proved, it can be key to so many doors, and at the end of the day it's how you deal with such a life changing scenario.

And I have no doubt, that he has very good people around him, both in his friends and family, but also the whole motorsport community. You only have to look how the Motorsport community globally has rallied around him, with the likes of Jenson Button, Jason Plato, and AJ Allmendinger donating to the course, which has been awesome to see.

As has been said, things are far from over, so I wish him all the best in his recovery, and hopefully we'll see him back on track soon 👍.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back