Touring Car discussion - WTCC, BTCC etcTouring Cars 

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, karma got to the best of turkington in the end.

Congratulations to Ash Sutton for winning the BTCC title in his second season with the BMR Subaru Levorg.

Also a extra fact, hes was a former TORA driver and picked up wins in Iracing. So he still classed as a gamer.

@Rob_Willshire Karma? Colin is the cleanest driver on the grid...

I’m pretty sure he didn’t mean to hit Moffat in Race 2, and Moffat ususally drives overly defensive anyway. I think the speed difference caught Colin out.

I could see across the track from where I was as well that Laser Tools Racing we’re doing the complete unprofessional thing of laughing and clapping as Colin went down the pit lane to retire in Race 3.

@Michelin Man T quote somebody on Twitter (the last bit isn’t aimed at you)

‘As per the rules, first strike- no grid pen, second strike- no grid pen, third strike- back of grid, 4th strike- race ban. It's been the same all year why people are moaning now is because of their own preferences for the title’

Any updates about TCR Australia? Last article I read is from a few months ago. Supposedly, an RS3 LM is here until November.

Twitter, FB, and Cams web site, have nothing new.

Not taking that as a result. I am sorry but I can't. True it is great to see a BRDC Rising Star take a title. It shows the scholarship programmes in the UK DO work when a graduate can enter a series and win a big title. Massive congratulations to Ash and to BMR, It is always good to see the students show the teachers how it's done. And it shows a new car like the Levorg CAN be very strong indeed. BUT I find it ironic that for the last race Sutton could not be the one thing he is and the one thing he has shown he is more than anything else for most of the season - a racer. To race you have to have a rival. He did not have Turks' to race against for the last race of the season. I doubt think anyone wanted the last battle in the title fight to end this way. With Ashley having nobody to fight. I don't think Alan Gow wanted it. I don't think the fans wanted it. I don't think the teams and drivers wanted it. I don't think the sponsors wanted it. That had to be the easiest drive to a title in a last race of the season for some time.

Very sad for WSR. But they do have a first Manufacturers title in the very first season as a works BMW team and they have a second Teams title. Between Colin, Rob and Andrew they have 8 wins from this season. Equal 1st on the most number of wins for a team of drivers with BMR. The BMW 125i M-Sport is still the most successful NGTC car.

So all in all both BMR and WSR have something to be proud of this year.

I’m pretty sure he didn’t mean to hit Moffat in Race 2, and Moffat ususally drives overly defensive anyway. I think the speed difference caught Colin out.

Did you have chance to catch the post race interview? Colin didn't really make any excuse for the tap, it seemed pretty clear he was going to take his line and braking point whether Moffat was there or not. My personal opinion... I wouldn't say he hit him intentionally, but it was clearly his intention not to slow down anymore than he needed to.

Agreed, whether it was intentional or purely accidental (which in my opinion I don't think it was), it was the wrong move for Turks to take, and a tad unfair on Moffat. With that said, as much as Moffat was putting up a cracking defense, I think Turks could've possibly found a way past in the end anyway.

And it's not like Turks is suddenly the devil himself, as the rest of the time he's probably the cleanest and fairest driver on the grid. It looked like a "heat of the moment" type move, as you could tell after race 1 when he was interviewed that he seemed a tad flustered.

I could see across the track from where I was as well that Laser Tools Racing we’re doing the complete unprofessional thing of laughing and clapping as Colin went down the pit lane to retire in Race 3.

Don't get me wrong the Laser Tools squad are great bunch of guy's and gal's, but if that was the case then that's a bit uncalled for. The same could be said of the apparent abuse directed towards Turks on Twitter that Paul O'Neil mentioned at the end. It's a rare occurrence with Turks, and there's far more aggressive drivers out there (i.e. Neal as of late), so I don't think Colin deserved that "Karma".

---

Anyhow, back to race 3, big shame it had to end like that, would've been fascinating to see Ash and Colin duke it out on track, especially in those conditions with two of the best "racers" on the grid, and I do feel for Turks too. But on the flip-side, a huge congrats to Ash and BMR, especially with the amount of work put into both sides, with BMR developing the Levorg into probably the best package, dealing with all the handicaps thrown at them. And for Ash winning the title in just his second year; a feat more mighty in a championship like the BTCC where experience counts.

And lastly, awesome to see my favourite driver (Austin) finally get that win this year with Handy, been a long time coming this year, and a perfect way to send off the Avensis. I'm really eager now to how the Alfa program develops (and looks) :drool:.

I don’t for any minute think Sutton doesn’t deserve it, I hate to to admit it (being Turks #1 fan) but I don’t think he’d have been able to get enough places ahead of Sutton in Race 3 to overhaul the points difference anyway.

Roll on next season, just hoping that Colin has the budget to stay at WSR (although he deserves to get paid rathe than paying)

They're not wrong with the fact the Hyundais are too fast, but Comini's been whining all year... Besides, the I30 isn't even supposed to score points because it's not homologated yet. They're still looking for the magic formula with the Audi, and I think there's quite a bit of that frustration shown here.

They're not wrong with the fact the Hyundais are too fast, but Comini's been whining all year... Besides, the I30 isn't even supposed to score points because it's not homologated yet. They're still looking for the magic formula with the Audi, and I think there's quite a bit of that frustration shown here.
And it didn't score points. However, the Hyundai has been slightly BOP'd to 95% BHP and 40kg.

And it didn't score points. However, the Hyundai has been slightly BOP'd to 95% BHP and 40kg.

I'm halfway through the first race as I write this, and the Hyundai needing to be "slightly" BOP'd would be an understatement. :lol:

If Hyundai is competitive with their pricing, based on the immediate performance potential we've seen, I have a feeling we'll see a bunch of I30s next year.

So they've gone from having 30 bhp over everyone else to 25. Job done! :P (The math probably doesn't work out like that, but i'm not a mathematician.)

What was pouring out of the tailpipes on the i30s, btw?

That's the main issue with TCR and to an extent BTCC however @-Fred- - no car is allowed to show true potential because of BoP. If do you are penalised. Arguably; it's better nowadays in touring car racing to create a mid-grid car than a front runner, as it will be easier to get performance breaks and you don't have the issue of running away from the field one weekend and then getting so heavily penalised you can't score points the next.

Any reason why the engines aren't regulated "better". If they're all 2.0T or 1.6T, limited to 340hp, same weight, same length in regards to regulations, what's the major problem? Surely no car can exceed a set RPM limit. In some series, one car may have better drive out of corners or one turns better or one is better on brakes, tyres, etc. Does a Golf, have a better frontal area than the RS3? Seat, better suspension than Honda? Alfa, better aero than Opel?

Maybe the term "BOP", is used too much(in the past 7 years) for my liking. I haven't heard it used so much outside of GT3 and maybe LMP cars. Usually I hear about weight penalties, in touring cars. Not so much BOP.

If you have cars with the same engine power and size, same weight and built to the same rules that won’t make them the same speed.

If you have cars with the same engine power and size, same weight and built to the same rules that won’t make them the same speed.
Of course. Much of that can come down to setup. Tyres. Componentry.
No baseline testing of the i30N, against the other manufacturers, before hand? Were Hyundai running too much boost?

That's the main issue with TCR and to an extent BTCC however @-Fred- - no car is allowed to show true potential because of BoP. If do you are penalised. Arguably; it's better nowadays in touring car racing to create a mid-grid car than a front runner, as it will be easier to get performance breaks and you don't have the issue of running away from the field one weekend and then getting so heavily penalised you can't score points the next.
One of the reasons for BOP is to prevent massive costs. If you have TCR and take away the BOP, you'll have costs rise and rise and the purpose of TCR is gone.

In other news.

Well Mazda, Honda and Toyota did meet with Lotti at Oschersleben.
As analysed by TCT however, TCR in it's current guise cannot become a world championship or fit in a number major national series - due to no manufacturer teams allowed.

http://tcr-series.com/index.php/news/item/new-honda-civic-type-r-tcr-makes-track-debut
2017Int_photo_news_326_62608f94e036f252a73db9835f9159ab.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back