Toyota Championship Finished - All Stats -----> #733Finished 

• Thread starter JockeP22
  • 765 comments

Race #7 Options

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi drivers,
the poll has been closed and the car we all must use ended up
being the 2013 Denny Hamlin Camry. Remember to change the oil.
upload_2015-4-30_17-16-29-jpeg.357011

I have posted in the community section at the race event page that all
drivers need to be aware of our yellow lines agreement here in the thread.

So here's a recap;

snakes_zpsvj2bygdl.jpg~original

images

Toyota Nascar 05/05/2015
Twin Ring Motegi Super Speedway

No time progression.
Double file rolling start.
Race duration: 30 minutes.
Damage: Light. Tyre / Fuel: Fast.

As always the qualifying session will start at 20:10 GMT.
Thanks guys. :)

Ok so I just did quick testing and I can already see that strategy is vital. I have completely no experience in oval racing, so if you guys could just throw me some quick tips I will be grateful. :bowdown:

@JockeP22 going to PIT before first or second line?

Does anybody know exactly how many liters of fuel I can put in the time that it takes to change tires?

How important is it to spare tires using minimum steering wheel angle?

When do you guys suggest to change tires? When it gets to 3?

When and how to overtake, and when it's better to stay behind? What makes a good overtaking opportunity in oval?

Yeah I am that kind of guy who really likes to ask questions :dopey:

I am aware that some of you might want to keep your strategy and tips to yourselves, and it is totally fine :) but if you feel like sharing some info - thank you in advance! :cheers:

Before 2nd line (in back straight)
going to PIT before first or second line?

30-35l
Does anybody know exactly how many liters of fuel I can put in the time that it takes to change tires?

Very
How important is it to spare tires using minimum steering wheel angle?

My testing tell to me that min is 2 but you really have to be careful when running cornes. So 3 is save (to me). You just have to test it yourself and make your strategy for it.
When do you guys suggest to change tires? When it gets to 3?

Anywhere you can - usually in straight or out braking. Overtake when your strategy tell you to do it. Other time it just best to stay behind and joy to ride (save fuel and tires). Of cource if you joy to be in lead then go head and take a lead.
When and how to overtake, and when it's better to stay behind? What makes a good overtaking opportunity in oval?

Last edited:
Damm, 10 more litres and I'd have had 2nd place.

My race strategy was working really well. Start slowly, save the tyres and fuel, stick to the inside line to make others go wide and wear their tyres out. :mischievous: 2 stops, yes, worked well. My downfall was I under fuelled the last stop hoping for either an easy last stint or maybe the possibility of a slipstream tow to make the fuel go further. I got neither - Gavin and Buybon closed in on me has I was watching the fuel gauge. I decided that if I tried to fend them off I'd run out of fuel so I eased off the throttle and hoped for the best. They both got past!

A strange race in some ways. I knew you were all out there on track but after the first couple of laps I didn't get to see many of you - we'd all spread out. I was expecting some closer racing.

Great fun nonetheless. Thanks Jocke. :cheers:

Somehow, I missed all the messages here since Friday. Didn't get any alerts.

Sorry for not making it Jocke, I slept pretty late and even though I kept a alarm, I couldn't wake up. Hopefully I'll see you guys next Tuesday:)

Nascar qualifying;

suzuka varv kval1.jpg
suzuka varv kval2.jpg

The race; (Fastest Lap = mikey_2412)

suzuka varv race1.jpg
suzuka varv race2.jpg

did not get DC'ed until after the race while waiting for the replay to show up
Yes that has happened a number of times for you unfortunately, Wayne. Do you want your own copy of the replay?
If so I can upload it as a file and you can use Manny's video tutorial to get it to your PS3.

As far as I'm aware there hasn't been any hotfixes or updates to GT6. That makes me wonder how
we could have a race without disconnections when all the others had them.
Is it that the track is so small with few details?

This tells me, Gav, that you hadn't read the thread at any time during the week leading up
to the race. For that very reason as a precaution I posted a message right below the 'enter lobby' button
so that everyone would know that reading the thread was important.
suzuka varv3.jpg

You told me you wanted me to review your pit maneuvers and I did that just now.
Your pit exits were okay but your entries were not. You kept going in full race speed
on the track until the last moment before you dived over the line and into the pits.
It was the same during all three stops. Quite dangerous.
Not very fair towards the other drivers.

Here enters my dilemma as I don't have a penalty system in place. Perhaps I should have incorporated one.
If you take a look at the replay yourself how much time would you say
you earned on not following the proper procedure?
If you don't want to look at it, I will calculate it and add that time to your finish time.

Next race;

images

Toyota F1 12/05/2015
Suzuka Circuit 2014

Toyota 7 '70 only.
Stock plus oil.

Start (track clock): 2pm.
Race duration: 40 minutes.
Damage: Heavy. Tyre / Fuel: Fast.
Pit stops: Driver choice.

The track has been opened up for testing in the community;

suzuka varv2.jpg

I tested for almost an hour earlier and got faster every lap. It's difficult though and you need to be
careful with this beast otherwise it will throw you off. It's very satisfying when you learn how it works.
I was pleased with my personal best lap of the session but I have no idea how good it is.
Looking forward to hearing about yours. :)

suzuka varv.jpg

Good call for Gavin's pit entry - he got some advance there 👍

Suzuka; my first quick test session took me to 1'49.5
I was wondering if we could limit the power a bit?

MIKEY'S RACE REVIEW | TOYOTA NASCAR @ MOTEGI!

QUALIFYING

I had a fairly eventful session. I'd be so close to @jammy21 so I'd pit for fresh rubber and head back out and my new lap would beat his but I notice he had just gone marginally faster. This happened twice and there wasn't enough time left to try that one blinder lap so I had to settle for a very close second (+0.019 - that's insanely close!).

2nd

RACE

The rolling start proved beneficial to me as the computer lined me up behind @jammy21 so I could immediately sit in his slipstream and save fuel and tyre wear. I followed him, on his tail for multiple laps while Patrick flew past me and Jammy and built up a lead. It wasn't long before I figured Patrick had started to run low on grip as me and Jammy were starting to pull him in.

Jammy eventually went wide at T1 which allowed me to slip through, then looking behind me he had shot over to pit entry and I thought "🤬 I was planning to do exactly the same as him" so I had to keep going. Next lap rolled around and I pitted, too. Amazingly, I came right behind even after hitting 'the wall' on grip on the in-lap!

I noticed that @Dustybin had caught up dramatically and was sitting behind me. I held my line behind Jammy again while also defending against Dusty and being cautious on the fuel and tyres.

It got to 3/4 of the way through and I saw I had 1/4 of the tank left after putting in 20 litres of fuel at my stop. Little did I realise that this was due to going slower than qualifying pace.

I decided to pit ahead of Jammy this time - and this time added 30 litres, thinking it would get me to the end safely (unaware that fuel saving got me to that amount). I came out of the pits and floored it. Literally. I drove past anything on the circuit and re-took the lead and building up a lead which came to about 1.5 seconds before my fuel light came on. I was confused at the time because I didn't realise I used that amount of fuel because I was going much faster. So I floored it even more to see if I can get to the end - setting a session best lap time in the process.

About 6 minutes from the end my car just went "nope" and ran out of fuel, I was guttered! I lost the win purely upon my misjudgment! So I pitted and put another 30 litres of fuel in, thinking that would be enough.

I came out 10th and floored it... 9th... 8th... unlapped myself... 7th... @Gavin Vickers pitted... 6th... caught up to 5th place man (can't remember who) and was catching him very quickly and setting another session best lap time before... BANG... fuel light came on again, so this time I decided to back off the pace considerably and watch my throttle usage. I fuel saved as much as I can and hoped that the leader wouldn't cross the line before the timer went out... but the inevitable happened... Jammy had crossed the line before the timer went out.

ON THE LAST LAP... IN 6TH PLACE AFTER AN AMAZING RECOVERY... I RAN OUT OF 🤬 FUEL ON TURN 1!
:banghead:

I lost all of those positions made up and 1 more to @Wayne Gratiot in three corners! :lol:

11th

MY OPINION:

Even though it one of the most, if not, the most used car/track combo in GT6 online and it's NASCAR. I have to say, it was a lot more strategic and enjoyable than I thought!

Congrats to all those that raced yesterday! :cheers:

Even though it one of the most, if not, the most used car/track combo in GT6 online and it's NASCAR. I have to say, it was a lot more strategic and enjoyable than I thought

Most used? I might have seen one NASCAR room at Motegi the entire time I've been playing GT6 online, since I generally join any clean NASCAR room I find that's anywhere other than Daytona or Indy. Which is a rarity. The only time I think I've raced online on Motegi is in loaner Shelby GT500s on CH tires with strong boost on. Now that's fun.

Also I was going at least 95% the entire race, not conserving tires in the slightest, and still easily made it in 2 pit stops even though I went 1 lap too far before pitting both times. That just shows how cautiously I naturally drive I guess. Spun and lost at least 15 seconds the first time and got sideways and probably lost about 5 the second time. Should have finished 4th at least I feel like.

Motegi/NASCAR race was most demanding in this series if you were 2 pitstop strategy. You really need to be focusing your race pace and lap times to make 3 stints safely. I plan was make pitstop at 16th and 32nd laps but 1st stint was too fast and I have to pit at 15th lap (2nd pitstop at 31st). So in next two stints I have to be more carefull in my racepace to make it finish line.

I agree it was very strategic. I originally planed to pit on laps 18 and 34 but like Jammy said under racing pressure I had to reevaluate and made the stops slightly earlier. It was all made up has I went along. This was where my fuel miscalculation crept in.
I should have added more but my brain couldn't work out the figures quickly enough. :dunce: My pit crew didn't help me out either.
But I did have enough to get over the finish line, so that was good.

I did find find running with the tyres at a minimum of 2 fairly easy, perhaps losing only around a second or so. It wasn't until you entered the pit lane that you realised their lack of grip!

@JockeP22 - For the Toyota 7 I did suggest that perhaps the possibility of allowing the use of the T.C.S. might help some drivers from spinning - there is a lot of power! It'll help in keeping the field together for longer. Set to 1 is all it needs.

Last edited:
Or reduce power by few %s to get 700pp or even less...
@JockeP22 - For the Toyota 7 I did suggest that perhaps the possibility of allowing the use of the T.C.S. might help some drivers from spinning - there is a lot of power! It'll help in keeping the field together for longer. Set to 1 is all it needs.

Hi friends,
I was looking forward to racing this monster on 100% engine power and no TC. :)
With a lot of concentration it can be done.

But of course we should listen to the majority. How about I put up a new poll with
two things to vote on simultaneously.

Example:
Option A - 100% power.
Option B - 90% power.
Option C - 80% power.

Option A - Traction Control enabled.
Option B - Traction Control disabled.

I need to contact a moderator first in order to delete the existing poll (I thought being premium
meant you could do that yourself, apparently not).

So should I start a poll?

I'm off to watch the replay now and make out how much time Gavin gained on pitting
the way he did.
We will probably see some changes at the top of the race results.
After that I can post the championship standings. 👍

Back