Toyota Petrol Hybrid LMP1 to Lemans and WEC (Its Official)

• Thread starter Blaze_409
  • 431 comments
For whatever reason, I see the Porsches as dull...

The new Toyota should have a new name. Like an actual name, instead of the standard set of random letters and numbers...

And not the name of your concubine *Cough* Seb Vettel *Cough*

I wonder if Gran Turismo will sponsor Toyota now that Peugeot has pulled out?

They obviously have been sponsoring Le Mans teams for a while now, so I don't think they'll leave, and a new Japanese team looking for sponsors would be a good opportunity for them.

It would also be good news for us as it'd heighten the chances of the 2012 Toyota Le Mans car coming to GT5.

I like this one the best. (Since it's a Toyota thread)

Toyota%20TS010%202.jpg

Just checked twitter and read this from Wurz. Labeled as being 4 hours old:

Alexander Wurz's tweet
Good morning, since we r official, I can tweet: so, just finished pre test meeting, now putting overalls on, and start testing in 36min !

Is there any info on this "testing session" being carried out today?

Very excited to see Toyota return in the Le Mans race. I'm tired of seeing Audi win almost every single year since 2000. Can't wait for June.

Last edited:
More videos showing up now.

This one is not from Youtube so I don't know how to embed here. Found it in the ACO's twitter. Interesting first couple of seconds. And good sound indeed :D

http://dai.ly/Aff9As

And here a onboard video. Reminded me of why Paul Ricard is everybody's hate in gaming :lol:

[YOUTUBEHD]ViGR1Hw65e4[/YOUTUBEHD]

And here a onboard video. Reminded me of why Paul Ricard is everybody's hate in gaming :lol:

Confound the haters! they're doing it wrong anyway :P

Car sounds incredible. Is that a V8 or V6?

3400 cc V8. Maximum allowed by the regs.

Imho it sounds exactly like all of the other V8s in LMPs i.e. boring. At least the Acura/HPD and Zytek engines has little bit of scream.

I am sorry if I should know better, but I don't. With the (notable) exception of the electric power making it a hybrid, is the TS030's engine exactly the same the Rebellion team used in 2011 and/or will use in 2012?

The engine is actually an entirely fresh design. It's on mulsannes corner, the news section got updated with technical nit bits.

Hey thanks for the heads up. Very interesting article and detailed pics! 👍

Maybe my poor English isn't helping, but I didn't quite understand one thing. Here:

Mulsanne's corner
Toyota confirmed publicly that the test car is currently set up to power either the front wheels (system designed by Aisin AW) or the rear wheels (designed by DENSO) with their hybrid powered motor systems. Obviously the 3.4 liter V8 powers the rears, but the technical decision is where to place the motors for the hybrid power. According to the rules four wheel drive is allowed, but with one exception: you can't power both front and rears at the same time, that is, they hybrid system engages when the V8 is disengaged and vis-versa.

Does this mean that if the electrical system powers the rear wheels, they can use both sources of power at the same time (like in F1) because only two wheels will in any case receive power?

If that's the case then it should be a no brainer, because the alternative (electrical system powering the front wheels) would mean the need to shut off the engine each time the eletric power was used.

Or am I getting this all wrong? :odd:

3400 cc V8. Maximum allowed by the regs.

Imho it sounds exactly like all of the other V8s in LMPs i.e. boring. At least the Acura/HPD and Zytek engines has little bit of scream.

I disagree. If anything, it actually sounds almost like the ARX-02A

Kazuki Nakajima is confident that Toyota will be able to fight for the win. Link. While I don't share his enthusiasm, it would be nice if they could take the fight to Audi. Personally, I don't see it happening, unless the Audi's run into trouble.

Only time will tell.

What's with all the wheelspin in that video? TC has been banned for 2012?

Kazuki Nakajima is confident that Toyota will be able to fight for the win. Link. While I don't share his enthusiasm, it would be nice if they could take the fight to Audi. Personally, I don't see it happening, unless the Audi's run into trouble.

Only time will tell.

I also don't share his enthusiasm. But I've got high hopes that they can at least score a podium finish though.

I also don't share his enthusiasm. But I've got high hopes that they can at least score a podium finish though.

I agree with you guys, I think Audi made a smart move for the 24h especially by running the hybrids they plan but having a back up trump car with the R18 that is quite fast.

What's with all the wheelspin in that video? TC has been banned for 2012?

They allow TC for LMP cars?????:dunce:
They dont allow it for any other type of professional racing...

Well they allow it for GT3 but that is not professional racing... more like semi-pro amateur...

Back