Toyota Petrol Hybrid LMP1 to Lemans and WEC (Its Official)

• Thread starter Blaze_409
  • 431 comments
Honda is already coming back next year, go read the reports. They're bringing back the ARX-01e with Starkka racing which is suppose to be better, obviously it isn't called the ARX-01e anymore from what we can see on the first page of this thread. However, Honda are coming back.

No, they aren't. Honda Pulled out, its the main reason why Highcroft had to abandon their Le Mans Entry.

^But isn't Honda putting its bet on Strakka Racing?
Not really. Like I tried to explain: HPD = Honda Performance Development, Honda = Honda. Right now the car is HPD. If Honda decided to come and play (or increase its support), then the car would likely be designed and built by the same people at HPD, but difference is in the branding and backing.

No, they aren't. Honda Pulled out, its the main reason why Highcroft had to abandon their Le Mans Entry.
I have understood that it was Highcroft who broke the deal (sponsorship issues?).

Last edited:
I understand the whole HPD does not equate to Honda, but when a regular guy on the streets asks what's HPD, and he hears Honda in part of the answer.

He therefore thinks Honda is on the boat...

So as far as the average person is concerned HPD = Honda.

And I think Honda knows that too.

I understand the whole HPD does not equate to Honda, but when a regular guy on the streets asks what's HPD, and he hears Honda in part of the answer.

He therefore thinks Honda is on the boat...

So as far as the average person is concerned HPD = Honda.

And I think Honda knows that too.

Thing is though when digging deeper (assuming average Joe is willing to do so), HPD is a seperate entity (Based in California) from Honda itself. HPD for the most part is working without Honda money at the moment, if that is better to understand.

Last edited:
^That clarifies it a lot, thanks.👍

That said, will Honda eventually buy a majority stake into HPD? If Toyota is going guns drawn into Le Mans with hybrid drivetrains, would Honda follow suit?

It makes sense, in terms of marketing, as Honda has a big hand in hybrid tech also.

^That clarifies it a lot, thanks.👍

That said, will Honda eventually buy a majority stake into HPD? If Toyota is going guns drawn into Le Mans with hybrid drivetrains, would Honda follow suit?

It makes sense, in terms of marketing, as Honda has a big hand in hybrid tech also.

Only problem though is Honda has had most of its focus on the Indycar program, which has used not one bit of Hybrid technology. To make matters more difficult, they've been for the most part downsizing after the financial downturn the last few years and things weren't better after what happened in march. If they intend to do so, they'll have to really start from scratch and then pour more money into developing it. At present, that'll likely happen years down the road as oppose to now. For Toyota though, its mopre feasible because they already had the mindset, the planning and were developing it years ahead already (via the Tokachi 24 hour races Partially through Lexus) before all that's transpired so they can easily get this going at the moment.

No. It is HPD itself (and Wirth Research).

HPD w/Strakka

I agree with you, but I also disagree cause just like I'd agree that Rebellion a private team won with Toyota engines, I call that a toyota win to some extent. Honda as a manufacture isn't in it yet, but like I said earlier, the first step is to be an engine provider then build your own car after seeing how successful your engine can be.

Not Honda! While "HPD" does come from Honda Performance Development (which is a subsidiary of American Honda), but the chassis is literally "HPD", not Honda, neither Acura. Of course, it could be just as easily branded as Honda (just like it was branded as Acura until the end of 2009) if Honda decided to do so but they haven't decided...

Engine was ok (but in the need of further development), but apparently the chassis had some fundamental issues. Source "10.6.11" @ http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newssept11.html

Paulie you're right it isn't the manufacture or at least isn't given any direct money from Honda. So I have to agree, the engine thing though with that Aston's was a major part from what I saw along with the aero package hence the images of next years car that look different from the failed 2011 version. I also got more info on the engine from here:

Thanks

HPD w/Strakka

For the sake of splitting hairs I agree with you, but I also disagree cause just like I'd agree that Rebellion a private team won with Toyota engines, I call that a toyota win to some extent. Honda as a manufacture isn't in it yet, but like I said earlier, the first step is to be an engine provider then build your own car after seeing how successful your engine can be.

Again though, HPD are doing this without Honda's financial backing. Unlike Rebellion racing, Honda has pulled its financial backing for the program so Strakka is able to do this solely with HPD. Problem with your point is the Lola Toyotas have Toyota's Financial Backing and engine building whereas Honda did not even build those engines or develop those chassis.

Again though, HPD are doing this without Honda's financial backing. Unlike Rebellion racing, Honda has pulled its financial backing for the program so Strakka is able to do this solely with HPD. Problem with your point is the Lola Toyotas have Toyota's Financial Backing and engine building whereas Honda did not even build those engines or develop those chassis.

That I get, and understand but you made it seem like Honda never had any influence in the project to begin with, but seeing as it was Honda that started the program in 2006 I disagreed. From the Strakka angle for next year I understand now as I told Paulie in the same comment you just quoted...obviously I understood that part for next year.

That I get, and understand but you made it seem like Honda never had any influence in the project to begin with, but seeing as it was Honda that started the program in 2006 I disagreed.

That was certainly not what I was saying so excuse me if I worded that oddly. I indeed understand Honda did start it back in 2006. I was trying to say though that as an official financial backer of the project, Honda itself was not coming back.

That was certainly not what I was saying so excuse me if I worded that oddly. I indeed understand Honda did start it back in 2006. I was trying to say though that as an official financial backer of the project, Honda itself was not coming back.

Okay then that I totally understand like I told Paulie, and I say thanks for teaching me something new. I'll still hold hope since I think if Strakka is successful, Honda may join in...or better yet if Toyota is successful, they'll jump in it. Also Nissan is with Signatech correct?

Okay then that I totally understand like I told Paulie, and I say thanks for teaching me something new. I'll still hold hope since I think if Strakka is successful, Honda may join in...or better yet if Toyota is successful, they'll jump in it. Also Nissan is with Signatech correct?

Yep, they are. Mostly, they are involved in GT4 with RJN Motorsport and the GT1 World Championship with Sumo Power, but they are with Signitech as engine providers.

Then what are they using, I saw an article at Muslannes taking about something from them???
:confused:
All of the news entries at Mulsannescorner.com have been about the AMR-One 2011 version (likely the first and last version) and if you were confused about the orange-blue Gulf-liveried car on the page somewhere... that's not AMR's car, it's OAK Racing's car. :) Officially AMR has not released their plans for 2012. I really doubt building a new car is their 1st option (other options include ALMS with the old Lola or going back to GT class with the Vantage).

I hope they go back to the LMP class. Though the vantage GT cars were amazing too. I miss the British Racing Green factory Aston Martin cars

Anyone hoping that Ford will join the fray as well?

I know they are in the WRC, but I think they need a return to top tier sports car racing. :)

I have a gut feeling the new Viper will end up in the GT3 and GT2 ranks.

True I agree, I only remember one chrysler LMP. Either way I don't see Ford jumping into LMP1 though I see them more so in GT2 as well. Trying to prove that the mustang can beat the likes of Ferrari, BMW, Lotus, Corvette, Porsche, Jaguar and Panoz.

There's no Vipers in FIA GT....go hunt down the Competition Coupe variant in the small Euro series' like Belcar or Britcar.

Viper to GTE when or if it actually does show up.

Trying to prove that the mustang can beat the likes of Ferrari, BMW, Lotus, Corvette, Porsche, Jaguar and Panoz.
No-one runs a Panoz, Jaguar would be easy beats for a factory Ford 'Stang program, same for Lotus, only real competition would be the ALMS factory teams.

Back