Toyota Petrol Hybrid LMP1 to Lemans and WEC (Its Official)

• Thread starter Blaze_409
  • 431 comments
Anyone hoping that Ford will join the fray as well?

I know they are in the WRC, but I think they need a return to top tier sports car racing. :)

Technically (Though not as a factory program), they are in the form of the Doran built GT-Rs from Robertson racing and in the World GT1 Championship.

Technically (Though not as a factory program), they are in the form of the Doran built GT-Rs from Robertson racing and in the World GT1 Championship.

Yeah I know about the GT1 program, but thanks about giving insight about the Doran's.👍

I figured a Ford in the LMP1 ranks will be interesting to watch. See if they can replicate the successes of the old GT40s.

Funny thing about this is at first Ford did not at all want anyone to race the Ford GT because they were afraid of tarnishing the GT40's legacy. It wasn't until Kevin Doran came along on the ALMS GT2 project that then they became less resistant to the idea.

On-topic with the Toyota discussion (as we seem to have gone far offroad): One has to wonder how much of the hybrid technology from their previous 24 hour ventures in Japan will transfer or will have to be changed. I imagine there's abit more ease given that unlike the HV-R, this prototype will be made with Hybrid Tech in mind. I just hope this along with the FT-86 are signs that Toyota of old is coming back. Might be too much to ask for a WRC entry and a return of Toyota badging in Super GT as well, but it would certainly complete the turnaround.

Last edited:
They will have vipers, and I think they already do in FIA GT. It's all the customer teams

Oh no I know about those not sure they still run, but we're talking about 2013 when the Viper is re-introduced again. It'd be nice to see that one in GT racing with the old spirit of Viper.

Last edited:
There's no Vipers in FIA GT....go hunt down the Competition Coupe variant in the small Euro series' like Belcar or Britcar.

Viper to GTE when or if it actually does show up.

No-one runs a Panoz, Jaguar would be easy beats for a factory Ford 'Stang program, same for Lotus, only real competition would be the ALMS factory teams.

How about you stop knocking teams? I'm just listening the current cars that run the series that is all. I'm simply showing who and what they'd beat, the matter of you thinking what they can beat theoretically is your opinion and nothing more. Also the Panoz Abruzzi ran in ALMS this year at the 12 hours of Sebring and Mosport in Canada. They'll probably be running next year too.

Personally, I think Toyota should have been getting their feet wet with some sort of SC430/LF-A/IS-F GTE car before jumping head-first into LMP. Get a good team around you, some stable sponsors perhaps? Finalize your driver lineup, and then in 2013 when the regulations change, roll out your Peugeot-killer.

Personally, I think Toyota should have been getting their feet wet with some sort of SC430/LF-A/IS-F GTE car before jumping head-first into LMP. Get a good team around you, some stable sponsors perhaps? Finalize your driver lineup, and then in 2013 when the regulations change, roll out your Peugeot-killer.

Peugeot didn't enter any GT entries prior to their LMP entries and I'm fairly certain Audi didn't either.

This is Toyota we are talking about, not some small privateer team, they know how to build a successful team in anything that isn't F1.

Personally, I think Toyota should have been getting their feet wet with some sort of SC430/LF-A/IS-F GTE car before jumping head-first into LMP.

Why? Audi didn't and Peugeot didn't so exactly why should Toyota?

Peugeot didn't enter any GT entries prior to their LMP entries and I'm fairly certain Audi didn't either.

This is Toyota we are talking about, not some small privateer team, they know how to build a successful team in anything that isn't F1.

Really who did Audi have to stomp on for all the years they were winning? I mean '99, '03, and '09 are the only time Audi has lost at 24H of Le Mans. You're correct Audi didn't have any GT entries, but they have so much more experience than the others from the past 13 years. Peugot have past experience and the modern experience from 07 till now. It took Peugot a couple tries before they got it right, but still find it tough to keep up with Audi at times. Though neither had entries in GT it wouldn't have hurt them, but they're not the types to have sport cars in GT cause they're not the sport car types (well now recently with the Audi R8) so that could be a big factor. Toyota has one from their sister brand.

You raise a good point though, does a company really need a GT car before going LMP 1 or 2? I don't think so, cause Audi, Bentley and Peugot have proven this. Does having a GT team before going LMP hurt? No cause it worked out for Aston Martin a bit. I just hope if Toyota doesn't want to be third or fourth best, like they were before (as well as F1) they bring their A game. Cause Audi is no slacker and Peugot (though I can't stand them) is not going down either.

I think it will take Toyota a few times before (or if) they get the wins and mostly wanted 24h win and WEC or LMS championship.

ORECA are running the Toyota factory team next year:
“After announcing its participation in several races of the 2012 World Endurance Championship, including the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Toyota Motorsport GmbH (TMG) has partnered with ORECA to provide operations support for this project. The French team will therefore bring its experience in sportscars, and specifically of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, where it has competed for several seasons.

“In recent years, ORECA has shown its qualities, rivaling the two official constructors, Audi and Peugeot. Most notably, Hugues de Chaunac’s men won the 12 Hours of Sebring in March 2011, and finished 2nd in the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta a few weeks ago.

“The LMP1 chassis that will be entered in 2012 has been designed, developed and built at TMG’s technical centre in Cologne. The prototype will be powered by a petrol engine equipped with hybrid technology, provided by Toyota Motor Corporation.

“ORECA will support the TMG track operations team and this partnership will begin in the coming weeks.

“Hugues de Chaunac, President of Groupe ORECA: ‘It’s a very big day for ORECA. To be
chosen by Toyota Motorsport GmbH is a huge reward for the work we’ve done in recent years. ORECA has proven its worth at the highest level of endurance racing, winning the 12 Hours of Sebring in 2011 and finishing three straight times in the top 5 at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Thanks to its know-how, ORECA now has the opportunity to work with the biggest automobile manufacturer, and on a project that’s particularly interesting. We are proud to support Toyota Motorsport GmbH in this challenge and we’re looking forward to an exciting future.’

“Rob Leupen, Director Business Operations, Toyota Motorsport GmbH: ‘This is clearly good news for TMG. ORECA’s competence and track record are well known, which is why we were very keen to develop a relationship with them. They will enhance our track operations team as we make progress in the world of endurance racing.”

Not really sure how your opinions are realistic...gee it just sounds too much like a...contradiction.

Realistic to you obviously to the rest of the world...not so much.

Oh for cripes sake....

LMP1
-Toyota have the funding to take the fight to Audi and Peugeot.
-Aston Martin doesn't have the same funding so won't be legitimate Toyota competition nor do they even know what they're doing next year.

GTE
-Jaguar RSR won't exist next year if what I've heard about Jag pulling factory funding is correct, they also don't have the pace to be anything other than backmarkers in the ALMS nor the reliability in the longer-than-ALMS races.
-JetAlliance Lotus are a small time effort and are like some of the other teams with smaller budgets and small factory support.
-The top teams in ALMS have been Corvette (factory), BMW (factory), Risi (factory), Flying Lizard (factory). The rest? Small time or non factory teams....

You don't know the rest of the world so why should your opinion be what everyone else is thinking? Sounds like a contradiction to me.

The other reason would be ambition. Instead of being Peugeot customers they now are Toyota partners. :)

Makes them look more sophisticated, I see why the will go Toyota now, well good luck to them.

Oh for cripes sake....

LMP1
-Toyota have the funding to take the fight to Audi and Peugeot.
-Aston Martin doesn't have the same funding so won't be legitimate Toyota competition nor do they even know what they're doing next year.

GTE
-Jaguar RSR won't exist next year if what I've heard about Jag pulling factory funding is correct, they also don't have the pace to be anything other than backmarkers in the ALMS nor the reliability in the longer-than-ALMS races.
-JetAlliance Lotus are a small time effort and are like some of the other teams with smaller budgets and small factory support.
-The top teams in ALMS have been Corvette (factory), BMW (factory), Risi (factory), Flying Lizard (factory). The rest? Small time or non factory teams....

You don't know the rest of the world so why should your opinion be what everyone else is thinking? Sounds like a contradiction to me.

You're right I'm so wrong, cool story bro!

They were rumored to go with Nissan using the LMP1 03 Coupe, seems the country was right but the manufacturer was wrong. Will be great to see Oreca with Toyota at Le Mans :D

PEUGEOT 908 HDI FAP FOR SALE

2011 Sebring Winner
2011 Le Mans 5th place
2011 Petit Le Mans 2nd place

CP_2011_Oreca_LoveUsRacing.jpg

Any takers? With an oil change should be good! :D

I heard that they are from planetlemans twitter feed, they need to make it more equally I guess, so all LMP2. I hope this is just a rumor

Just searched the feed, nothing. The rules will change to fuel equivalency formula in 2014, until then it's LMP1 and LMP2.

Back