> Transfer Talk <

• Thread starter Rue
  • 151 comments
Chelsea completed the signing of Jose Boswinga yesterday which looks like a decent signing. Manchester United have been linked with Daniel Alves and Luis Fabiano, but the first signing of the summer could be Aaron Ramsey from Cardiff. The Welsh 17 year old has according to friends and his Beebo page agreed to join United for an extimated 5 million after both Liverpool and Everton had 1 million bids rejected and Arsenal and Chelsea both failed to act fast enough.

Aaron Ramsey is a great little player, caused us a lot of problems when Cardiff came down to Portman Road and was involved in their opener.

Robert Earnshaw looks to be heading from newly relegated Derby to newly promoted Nottingham Forest, with Forest having a bid of 2.5million accepted for the former Norwich hot-shot.

Chelsea have had a cheeky 40million bid turned down by Liverpool for Fernando Torres, the Reds insisting they have absolutely no intention of selling the Spaniard.

West Ham striker Dean Ashton has been linked with moves to Manchester United, Portsmouth and Newcastle.

Cristiano Ronaldo and Petr Cech have both denied reports linking them with moves away from their respective clubs.

David Healy insists he is commited to Fulham and determined to prove himself in the top flight, with Ipswich Town's Jim Magilton being a known admirer of the Northern Ireland striker and is looking to add a striker to his ranks and strengthen Ipswich Town's chances of a promotion push next season.

Martin O'Neill has opened talks with Gareth Barry in a bid to convince him to stay at Villa Park amidst speculation of a move to Liverpool for the midfielder.

Roma have completed the signing of Norway international John Arne Riise from Liverpool for £3.96million.

The Reds ace had been in Italy on Wednesday after being granted permission to hold transfer talks with the Serie A outfit.

The 27-year-old former Monaco man has now agreed a four-year contract with Luciano Spalletti's side and will join his new team-mates from July 1.

First choice

Riise had been first-choice at Anfield over previous years but fell out of favour under Rafa Benitez last season, leading to speculation of a possible move to Aston Villa or Newcastle.

However, it is Roma who have won the race to sign the experienced international, who has won over 70 caps for his country.

"Roma announce they have reached an agreement with Liverpool for the acquisition of the sporting rights of the player John Arne Riise with effect from July 1 2008," read a statement on the club's official website.

Liverpool splashed out £4.6million for Riise way back in 2001. He went on to make nearly 350 appearances for the Merseysiders.

SkySports

Well, we missed out on Ramsey since he decided Arsenal was the best place for him and I think he chose there mainly because he didn't want to be loaned back to Cardiff next season which we were going to do. If he didn't want that then we shouldn't have made that part of the agreement. We did get Petrucci from Roma though, he's a highly rated 17 year old, one for the future (much like Ramsey would have been), especially if he lives upto what everyone hopes he'll turn into.

We've been very quiet so far transfer wise. I'd love us to put a serious bid in for Berbatov, he'd fit into our team really well. One transfer that very, very nearly went through a couple of weeks ago and would have probably shocked a fair few people (especially Arsene Wenger) was Thiery Henry, he was alsmot on his way to Manchester United a few weeks ago, until Barcas new manager convinced him he had a big role and was a big part of his plans for next season. We had a bid accepted by Barca and we had a preliminary agreement with Thiery on his personal terms and pay, we just didn't have the signature. Then Rijkard went and whats-his-face convinced him to stay put.

That'd been worth seeing happen just for the look on Wengers face. I tihnk he still has enough to offer to play at the top for 2 or 3 more seasons. ever imagined he'd come that close to wearing a Man U shirt though.

Martin O'Neill has conceded that he won't be able to keep Barry and has given him the OK to join Liverpool provided they reach Villa's valuation of the player.

Chelsea have completed the (expected) signing of Portuguese midfielder Deco for a reported 7.9mill

Yay! Arsenal signed Samir Nasri. If Hleb is definitely leaving, Nasri should fill in pretty well. I can't wait to see how he develops at the Emirates. He could be Cesc 2.

Also, it's kind of a shame that Adebayor could take off so soon. Is Eduardo going to be well enough to replace him if Adebayor leaves for Italy?

Eduardo's not nearly as good as Adebayor, Arsenal have been linked with Huntelaar over the last day or so. Huntelaar has said he'd like to play for United but I'm not sure we want him. I think Fergies number 1 target is Berbatov failing that I think he might go for Huntelaar but I dont think he's first choice otherwise we'd have put a bid in by now. It looks like we're only signing 1 big player this summer and it's pretty much a cert that it will be a forward. We're stacked in mid-field and we've got a fantastic defence with reasonable cover. We lack height up front and the extra option that a powerful centre forward offers since Saha get's injured when there's a gust of wind these days.

We've signed Andy Cole! He didn't do too bad for Burnley last year.

Cole and Earnshaw up front, sounds interesting.

Seem's Ipswich's ambitious move for Charisteas doesn't look likely to happen, he wants to stay at Nuremburg...and Shola Ameobi won't make up his mind. Our striker targets are running thin it seems.

Reportedly West Ham are about to sign Neil Alexander, who made his "dream move" to Rangers from Ipswich in January...ironically this could free up Richard Wright to head back to Suffolk as Town's #1.

Naturally I'm monitoring the Berbatov situation closely, it seems that as soon as that transfer goes through (hoping it will) that a pretty big chain reaction of transfers will follow sdtarting with Bentley to Tottenham, Robinson to Blackburn, Friedel to Villa and so on. I thin Roque has made it clear he has no intention of leaving Blackburn, I think if he did leave he'd probably be tempted to join City to team up with Hughes again. He has commented very favourably about his time playing for Hughes.

Regarding Berbatov, a few papers are saying that we have already agreed a deal but it won't become official until Tottenham have lined up a replacment. Personally I doubt it, if that as the case then surely we'd be giving Saha a push in Tottenhams direction. On second thoughts maybe not, if we push him he might be out for 6 months injured then he'd never be part of a swap deal.

I'll believe we've actually got him when we've actually got him, but we are leading the race for him so far. Which is nice.

This could turn out to be a spicy little saga. Martin O'Neill has confirmed that Arsenal have entered the race and shown their interest in Liverpool target Gareth Barry, some sources suggesting that RB Justin Hoyte may be part of the deal. Seems to just be nothing more than talk right now, no offers have gone in but it'll be interesting to see which way this one swings.

The Daily Mail reports that Liverpool have secured a £19mill deal for midfielder Gareth Barry, despite the statement from Villa just 48 hours earlier that he would be staying with the club. Villa will recieve £17.5mill in cash along with 1.5mill rated fullback Steve Finnan, the deal set to be completed today. Voronin, Pennant, Arbeloa and Xabi Alonso all look likely to head away from Anfield in order for the Merseyside club to keep their part of the bargain with financiers.

Portsmouth are looking set to offload striker David Nugent in a 3.5million (rising to 5mill) deal as he heads to the very team that he put out of the FA Cup last season, Ipswich Town. The striker had previously turned down a loan move in the latter half of last season but despite his poor attitude Magilton seems to still be keen on making a permanent buy.

Last edited:
Tom McBride a 16 year old midfielder from Derry has signer of Northampton Town. Northampton beat of the likes of Rangers and West Brom to sign him.

David Nugent is set to stay at Portsmouth having turned down the idea of joining Ipswich Town, despite the Suffolk based club denying any official move had been made.

Former Charlton defender Ben Thatcher is set for a trial with West Ham, having had trials at Ipswich and Wolves with a contract offer made by the former.

And Jim Magilton has confirmed that Town are in talks with former Fulham defender Ivan Campo, who was present to watch Ipswich's 5-3 defeat to West Ham in their final pre-season match.

Hopefully this is the final news on the transfer circus of the summer, Ronaldo. Yesterday Fergie confirmed the saga is over and today Ronaldo confirmed it's over. He said he would like to one day play for Real, but after sharing his point of view with Fergie and listening to Fergies point of view they decided it was best for him to stay at United. He actually conducted an interview without the words "the future, only God knows".

On another note, I have seen the future, and it's Brazillian. Rafael Da silva was great today against Juve, and so was Rodrigo Possebon. And apparently, Rafaels brother, Fabio, whos' the left back, is better the better of the two :eek:. I'm going to try and not get too excited about the talent these three players have shown so far, but they don't half look good.

And Jim Magilton has confirmed that Town are in talks with former Fulham defender Ivan Campo, who was present to watch Ipswich's 5-3 defeat to West Ham in their final pre-season match.

He's never been a Fulham player, Bolton are the team you are looking for I think. :sly:

At last, we've got Andy Johnson! Its been a much more important transfer saga for Fulham fans than any of the rubbish that has been said about Ronaldo, Ferguson, Real Madrid, etc. £10.5m fee seems quite steep, but I look forward to seeing him on the pitch. Him and Bobby Zamora will provide us with an English frontline, backed up by Jimmy Bullard and Danny Murphy in midfield. I feel that Roy Hodgson has done well with some shrewd signings. :)

Joe

All this talk about Berbatov's got me anxious. all the papers seem to think it's a done deal but there's no printed evidence just "(insert paper name here) understands Tottenham and united have agreed a fee for Berbatov etc...." I really want us to sign him, and I want to believe the reports, but until it happens and there is something official then it's just typical paper talk. If it does happen then he'd be immense for us linking up with Rooney or Tevez.

Do you really think he is worth £28 million though? I know he's a quality player, bags of skill, flair, confidence to match, but he just doesn't seem the complete package to me. Then again, not one player in the world is. But £28 million does seem a bit steep - £18m, yes, maybe even £20m I'd think he's worth it. The price tag appears to be a tad inflated imo.

Joe

As an individual, no. But if we bought him and then we won the league again and maybe a 2nd trophy then for what he would have added to the team yes. I don't think we will win the legaue without an extra front man to use this year.

Just a couple of signings for Ipswich, both this week. On Monday they completed the signing of former Bolton stopper Ivan Campo as a free agent, and today completed the signing of former Charlton defender Ben Thatcher. Both on 2 year deals for free. Score.

As an individual, no. But if we bought him and then we won the league again and maybe a 2nd trophy then for what he would have added to the team yes. I don't think we will win the legaue without an extra front man to use this year.

I see what you mean, the £28 million would be well spent IF you reclaimed at least one of your trophies. However, I also think that the £32 million that was eventually demanded for Carlos Tevez's services was over the top, but again, he'll pay for himself if he has another successful season like last year, in my opinion, he's a more effectual player than Wayne Rooney.

Who am I to talk about inflated transfer fees anyway, when we've just bought Andy Johnson for £10.5m?! :dopey: I just hope he does what it says on the tin.....

Just a couple of signings for Ipswich, both this week. On Monday they completed the signing of former Bolton stopper Ivan Campo as a free agent, and today completed the signing of former Charlton defender Ben Thatcher. Both on 2 year deals for free. Score.

Good signings both of them, established players in the Premiership and on frees as well. I imagine they do demand a higher wage bill, but its worth it I guess. Campo looks like he has genuine quality, the way he plays it around, and he's been at Real Madrid which is always a good sign! ;) What does the jury think on Thatcher? Much maligned, especially after his horror challenge on Pedro Mendes, do you think he'll get a good reception? I know football fans are fickle, but......

Joe

The £32 million for Tevez is just media speculation and is wide of the mark. What we need to pay to sign Tevez is in the region of £10-15 million at the very most. We have Tevez on a 2 year loan, we paid £10 million up front as a loan fee with the option to buy him at any point during his loan for a pre-agreed fee. Tevez' perfromances singe we loaned him have not affected his price by a penny thanks to this contract. Also the 10 million we paid as a loan fee also acts as part of his transfer fee should we buy him. The agreed total was in the region of £20-£25 million, £10 million has already been paid, the rest of the price can't go up, unless we don't buy him before next Summer. I expect we will buy him in January, Gill said everything is on track and that's the window we're looking at. There's no point in signing him before then.

As for Tevez and Rooney, I think Tevez is the more skillfull player, but I think Rooney's play has a bigger impact on the team. Tevez is a better dribbler of the ball for certain, you don't really appreciate how good he is until you see him play live. But I think rooney creates more play, he try's more different things in a game. I think if we sign Berbatov or Huntelaar or any other world class striker then we will see the front players rotated, but I think rooney will be the one playing the most games.

As for Brutal Ben, I guess he should come with a health warning. He has talent if you can tap into it and use him right but he's a bit of an animal on the pitch. Doesn't seem to care if he injures other players or not.

Last edited:
Ah right, well that does seem more reasonable a price for Tevez, I can't quite grasp this whole business of the two year loan from his owners, and all the shenanigans that have gone on with him, MSI, Wet Spam and Manchester Utd. Everything that has been said seems a bit woolly, but I'd like to think it's all sorted out now. :)

I would definately agree with Rooney having more of an effect on the rest of the team, his movement off the ball is maybe more helpful to the rest of the team, I remember two years ago, we lost 3-2 at home to United, and Rooney played a huge part in all of the goals (it was back when Van Nistelrooy was a regular starter). I don't think I saw Tevez this year unfortunately, you played us at the Cottage just before a Champions League match and rested a lot of players....and yet still won 3-0. :grumpy:

Joe

How many midfielders do Chelsea want? He is a good player though and I have read that Real are willing to let him go, he'll cost a lot though and it would seem that Chelsea is the most likely desitnation and most likely to stump up the £38+ million required to purchase his services.

No he doesn't. Brazil strikers are Adriano, Fabiano, sometimes Kaka, Alexander Pato, and Wagner Love.

at Real Madrid he played the midfield as well.

apaprently it's not so likely he will be leaving now since he isn't allowed to transfer to Chelsea. Rather Calderon is insistent that since they can't find a replacment with the time left they will only let him go if buys himself out of his contract, the ammount of which would be decided in court.

No he doesn't. Brazil strikers are Adriano, Fabiano, sometimes Kaka, Alexander Pato, and Wagner Love.

at Real Madrid he played the midfield as well.

Oh well someone must tell the British press

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/aug/22/chelsea.realmadrid?gusrc=rss&feed=football

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...-with-brazil-striker-robinho-115875-20677979/

And according to some sites Brazil's Olympic squad before he pulled out read like this

Forwards: Alexandre Pato (AC Milan), Jo (Manchester City), Rafael Sobis (Real Betis), Robinho (Real Madrid).

Last edited:
Back