transmition

  • Thread starter Thread starter [ssg]sam
  • 53 comments
  • 1,342 views

transmition

  • manuel

    Votes: 29 65.9%
  • automatic

    Votes: 15 34.1%

  • Total voters
    44
I've always driven Manual, but had to give Auto a try the other day. Seems that I was paired up to race with another unbelievably fast racer. He's easily 15 seconds ahead of me on a 5 lap race.

We were racing arcade cars, so there were not settings to discuss, the only difference was he raced Auto, I ran Manual. I switched over to Auto to see the difference. After 10 runs,I was at the same point that I was running Manual.

Conclusion, Auto or Manual neither matter, it's the driver who makes the lap times.

In real life, you may find stick helps control the car more, in GT3, there is no difference.

AO
 
Originally posted by Der Alta
I've always driven Manual, but had to give Auto a try the other day. Seems that I was paired up to race with another unbelievably fast racer. He's easily 15 seconds ahead of me on a 5 lap race.

We were racing arcade cars, so there were not settings to discuss, the only difference was he raced Auto, I ran Manual. I switched over to Auto to see the difference. After 10 runs,I was at the same point that I was running Manual.

Conclusion, Auto or Manual neither matter, it's the driver who makes the lap times.

In real life, you may find stick helps control the car more, in GT3, there is no difference.

AO


If your talking about "The_Missing_Link",... I taught him everything he knows about drivin an AT ;)

BTW,... there is a difference. It matter which one you can exploit better.

The MT is tricky,.. not everyone can figure out shift points,.... but overall is fastest. The AT on the other hand is easier to control, and the 'shift-up' manuver can be deadly when in theright hands :D
 
:D I'd LOVE to use manual, but I drive exclusively w/Logitech wheel & it won't allow you to downshift when you want in most situations. Plus Auto is a little easier for us "Old " Guys...UB57:D
 
Control... That's the difference for me. I can control the car through turns better with manual because I make it downshift when I need it to. I don't know how many times I've avoided a wall by downshifting. And a lot of the time downshifting can replace hitting the brakes, which is what you'd have to do with auto.

All in all I'm faster with manual. But I do use auto occasionally, if I'm tired or just doing free runs for fun.
 
Originally posted by neon_duke
Actually, it doesn't. A properly maintained automatic transmission (one that is not abused or run hot, and kept full of fluid) will outlast the rest of the car, pretty much. Particularly in a RWD car. It's not uncommon for a good, American-made auto trans of the 1967-1973 vintage to go 200,000 miles without rebuild.

Very few people can get that kind of mileage out of a clutch.


True. But I always heard that a manual transmission car gets better gas mileage than an auto(only about 2 more miles to the gallon though). Is this true?
 
Originally posted by Omega Star
True. But I always heard that a manual transmission car gets better gas mileage than an auto(only about 2 more miles to the gallon though). Is this true?

The closest thing to transmision repairs I've ever had done was a clutch replacement. So I'm not sure if one thing I heard about manual trannies is true... I heard that manual trannies can be fixed or replaced in sections, and you don't necessarily have to replace the whole thing if something goes wrong. Is that true?
 
Yes, a manual if driven properly will get better gas mileage, because the amount of efficiency loss is smaller for a manual clutch than a torque convertor (even a lockup-style TC). Driveline loss is usually in the vicinity of 10% for a manual (MTX), and 15% for an automatic (ATX). Fuel economy is therefore usually 2-5 mpg better than an an auto car.

Actually, in reply to milefile, the interior components are just as likely to require repair or replacement in either kind. The clutch is considered a wear item like brake pads, while the TC is not. But the individual gears are just as durable, and just as subject to damage, in either case. An auto-trans rebuild is nothing heroic to have done, and can usually be performed in a day. They drop the trans, usually replace the torque convertor, replace the clutch packs/bands, and put it back up.
 
RER:

I know of Link, but it wasn't him I was reffering to. Made in Holland is unreal. I do feel that the Round #6 of the 9 boards will be the tighest race of hte challenge.

My bet is 15-20 second spread

AO
 
I dont really no the advs ann dsadvs of using 1 or the other:(
 
manual has many obvious advantages, but auto has a few too, like being able to concentrate on your driving and throttle


BUT!! manual can make a huge difference during corners with high horsepower cars with little to no downforce and it also helps on cars that have their powerband run well into their redline.
 
AH yes,. Made in Holland,. I've heared he has a fast AT :D I'd like to get all us guy's together one last time before we all convert to MT, lol,... just for kicks :D
 
A couple of years ago I was watching an AMLS race and Bill Adams(a canadian who is a former factory Porsche driver) as color commentator, he started talking near the end of the race about the leading driver "short shifting", changing gears at a lower RPM to save the engine and gearbox. I hear it once and a while in F1. If it does work in this game you couldn't do that with an auto- trans.
 
Originally posted by [ssg]sam
sorry for my langu... because i speak in french and i talk a litilbit in english.

I dont understand why they dont understand you :confused:

anyhow to help them a little try using this site to translate french to english http://babelfish.altavista.com/ . just type in your fench, translate, then copy and paste into here...

eg:

La transmission manuelle travaille pour moi!
=
The manual transmission works for me!
 
Automatic is way easier for me man! In manual, I always forget to change the gears! lol...
 
I Use Automatic, especially for the F1 Cars (I Use F090/S)
tvr.gif
 
ok, all i know is:
manual saves the transmission because:
in real life, auto means ur always "moving" in terms of the car itself
w/o the brakes, the car will move, right?
in manual, you can shift to neutral, the car won't move, unless on a slope
i guess what i'm trying to say here is that-->
auto sucks because ur on a stop, and ur making the engine work, but its not being efficient...
i guess tahts y :p
 
Originally posted by milefile
I use manual (not manuel, which is a Latino name) because I can get the best times that way. If auto was faster i'd use it.

I also have never heard of it saving (not savoring which is what one does with a good cigar or a fine wine) the tranny, either.

lol i was just about to comment on the fact that he needs to take a couple of grade school spelling classes.

I use manual, in real life who doesnt agree how fun shifting is.
 
Originally posted by -Su/|/-|)oGG
lol i was just about to comment on the fact that he needs to take a couple of grade school spelling classes.

I use manual, in real life who doesnt agree how fun shifting is.
I love shifting, when I drive an auto I feel wierd and not in full control of the car.
 
Back