TSR Super Formula SF19 - Season 1

• Thread starter GTWelsh
  • 566 comments
My only gripe is that I'd be repeatedly asked to lift and coast for blue flags with a car 7 seconds back. It took at least 3 laps for said car to even come close enough to warrant me lifting... it almost felt like if I didn't lift off on the third time of asking I'd be black flagged for ignoring messages. Lol

Another enjoyable race, thanks guys. Somehow Kurt didn't give me damage into turn 1, I made what I thought was the dodge of the century.

Can I ask that tyre wear be put onto x3 permanently? I don't know why you changed it back to 2, especially when we were using harder tyres than before. The mediums kind of lasted too long to be sort of as 'sprint' tyre
We come up with the idea of degradation levels and different compounds for each race to help mix things up. It's all about adaptations and finding that perfect strategy. X3 is to replicate higher track temp. Hence this race using x2 as was to create a cooler condition. But point noted.

My only gripe is that I'd be repeatedly asked to lift and coast for blue flags with a car 7 seconds back. It took at least 3 laps for said car to even come close enough to warrant me lifting... it almost felt like if I didn't lift off on the third time of asking I'd be black flagged for ignoring messages. Lol
No offence and appoligese if it looked that way. the trouble you find off the car behind struggles to get close due to the wake (dirty air) so they can't actually get close. The method didn't work in my eyes but was just to try helping the front runners out as before it caused massive troubles for them too pass. But still big thanks for efforts for racing :)

What a race! The qualifying session was basically all the practice I've got for the race, finishing on the podium with the stock setup is something appreciable.

Compared to Autopolis, I felt I was way more competitive, even if Joe was out of reach. A few mistakes prevented me from finishing 2nd but it is as it is and I gave it all in the last couple of laps. Also, trying to figure out from my knowledge and a bit of math how the tyre wear of the mediums would be, based on the hards I was running on was kinda funny.

About the blue flag messages, I don't think it is that distractive, just need to get used to it. Even in the official Live Events of GT, for penalties / investigations, there's that kind of messages popping up while racing and if it's the price to not have a standing start of ghosts, it's worth it imo, even more with the brilliant work of Stig.
Thanks the racing looked so much better and the grid was perfect with no ghosting. You done a great job from where you started and looked like you found a good rhythm too goin to the end. Great bit of gentlemen racing between you and maarten. Was great too watch.

Just like every time I race on Fuji, I had a very bad race. No consistency at all. My times were somewhere between 1.20 and 1.23... in the last lap, I mess it up and give the second to last place to @Storm_SP17. Oh well, he closed an 11 second gap due to my inconsistency, I guess I deserved last place more than him :)
Big thanks for @fastnloud30 for giving up his seat to be marshall. I think you did a great job! The ingame chat was pretty annoying though. I dont really understand why party chat is an option, as only 8 players can join? How bout discord voice chat?

Fuji was a proper rollercoaster of emotions to me, but I’m very happy to be taking second!

My race messed up before it started by taking way too less fuel to the start by accident. Then I completely bottled the start dropping back into the pack. Climbing back to the front in the first few laps luckily. CJ, Waike and I fought very hard for P2 and in the process Waike gave me the suspension-damage shunt. From this moment onwards the race was more about damage control regarding the championship.

After pitting in from 2nd place way early due to my lack of fuel I had to abandon my RM tyres and dropped back into traffic yet again. I’ve had some very good squabbles with Waike and Jomas along the way. Really liked the pit-exit get together with Waike fighting for virtual second place. Big up Jomas for carrying both the stock setup and RH start tactic to the podium. The last ten laps I feel like we were both going absolute balls to the wall for that 2nd place. I burned half a tank of boost over the last three laps which I think is what saved my ass.

Also big congrats to Joe for being absolutely untouchable. Got that Vettel/RedBull vibe all over you with just pelting away from the moment the lights went out.

Great racing all around from what I have seen on track. This series proving its high standards yet again! Thanks for racing everyone :)

Last edited:
Firstly, sorry to anyone that I caught out by my poor start. My mrs decided to call right as we were lining up on the grid and despite my numerous attempts, wouldn’t go away :lol:. It was a really nice I felt I had compared to what I had practiced and started to feel a good rhythm as the race went on. The mediums were a very long lasting tyre and though I could’ve done almost the whole distance with them. I closed I think a 6 second gap to kurt over the first stint. I was very happy with that as I’m not the fastest here and kurt can have serious pace!. Kurt pitted and I stretched another lap then pitted on to the hards. Then it happened. As soon as I exited T1 my power went off! Was having a fantastic race only to be ruined by something so ridiculous!

The racing on the stream looked close and very fair so well done to all!

@fastnloud30 Despite my gripe I appreciate what you tried and that you gave up a spot of racing to do so. I know people have their qualms with the blue flag system as well hence the idea.

@RealJaySee I did 40+ laps on those RMs just because I had grip under the car in spades compared to RH... and before I caught you, boy were they busted! I watched you pull 0.4 on me a couple laps in a row in the last dying stages and I almost lost hope in catching you.

I had a nightmare first stint on those RH tyres! The low-mid speed section hurt a lot, the final section is never my strongest at all but it was agony ti run the car through there...

I really underestimated how much the extra bit of downforce (especially on the fronts) helped keep my car planted. 1500 / 1900 vs. 1300 / 1800 jumped me up from mid-high 22s in the race to 21.0 post-race on RH tyres, with a few tweaks to the diff I could make it a touch faster...

Mixed feelings about yesterday's race, because 3rd place would have been a realistic result for me. Certainly have the pace to qualify 3rd fastest, but right after warning fellow Nukeshot funded wolfpack Joe and Maarten about the slippery astroturfs, I drove on them myself on the 2nd flying lap and went straight into the barrier. So that's qualifying for me. At that moment I did a 1.19.9 which was good enough for 5th.

Strategy wise I clearly underestimated the life of those Mediums, but without practicing long runs I found out during the race that the Mediums could run 3/4 race distance easily, but because I only fueled just over half race distance, meant my race was compromised by pitting too early on those harder, slower RH tires, which meant despite on fresh tires, I was lapping slower than Halbstark on his aging RM's and I was a sitting duck for @Jomas, because his tire strategy was the other way around and thus meant he was flying on fresh RM's towards the end. When I pitted for RH's, I was 13s ahead on Halbstark. When he pitted, he came 8s in front of me. That's the difference in tire performance between the two type of tires in my case. Since I barely touched the overtake button, I was pressing it constantly chasing Halbstark. 8s became 4-5s with 2 laps to go, then I made a mistake and had to abort the chase that seemed an impossible task to do so.

Regarding actions during the race. The race start was for once quite good: from 5th to 3rd. Came back when @CrazyJohn and @MaarteN5H tussled over 2nd place. I'd decided to join the party, but almost shat myself when I thought to go between CJ and the pitwall. then decided to get back under that rear wing, but running with that much wing on a high speed straight meant I was swerving across like a mad man and without noticing Maarten at all, gave him suspension damage. At that point we both didn't know what happened. I didn't know he was there and I didn't know he had damage (because no damage for me), before laps later he wondered where he got suspension damage. Afterwards, on the broadcast everything became clear. So sorry for that, Maarten. The same mad man swerve occured with @Jomas, Again, I wasn't meant to do that. Luckily there was no damage then.

Squable with fellow Warpboy @MaarteN5H was fun after race start and after my pitstop. Funny enough we were at a certain moment waiting for each other to get by cleanly when we were entering T3 side by side! :lol:

I didn't have blue flag incidents. Everything went very well getting by backmarkers. Kudos for that @fastnloud30 , but we want you to drive with us :(

Thanks for the race everyone and brilliant broadcast again @Hasse R !

Last edited:
Thankyou and i do appreciate your comments. As I buisness person in general I love good communication with clear reasons. That way I can work to help improve things on and off track.

I admire all the blue flag guys as i know the feeling when having to give up or loose a gap to the next car. But respect goes to you guys :)

Every point made I've wrote down and will try my very best to work somthing out for next round and so on.

@RealJaySee I never knew that it's a max 8 on a party chat. Tbh I've never done a party chat in my life :lol:

Mixed feelings about yesterday's race, because 3rd place would have been a realistic result for me. Certainly have the pace to qualify 3rd fastest, but right after warning fellow Nukeshot funded wolfpack Joe and Maarten about the slippery astroturfs, I drove on them myself on the 2nd flying lap and went straight into the barrier. So that's qualifying for me. At that moment I did a 1.19.9 which was good enough for 5th.

Strategy wise I clearly underestimated the life of those Mediums, but without practicing long runs I found out during the race that the Mediums could run 3/4 race distance easily, but because I only fueled just over half race distance, meant my race was compromised by pitting too early on those harder, slower RH tires, which meant despite on fresh tires, I was lapping slower than Halbstark on his aging RM's and I was a sitting duck for @Jomas, because his tire strategy was the other way around and thus meant he was flying on fresh RM's towards the end. When I pitted for RH's, I was 13s ahead on Halbstark. When he pitted, he came 8s in front of me. That's the difference in tire performance between the two type of tires in my case. Since I barely touched the overtake button, I was pressing it constantly chasing Halbstark. 8s became 4-5s with 2 laps to, then I made a mistake and had to abort the chase that seemed an impossible task to do so.

Regarding actions during the race. The race start was for once quite good: from 5th to 3rd. Came back when @CrazyJohn and @MaarteN5H tussled over 2nd place. I'd decided to join the party, but almost shat myself when I thought to go between CJ and the pitwall. then decided to get back under that rear wing, but running with that much wing on a high speed straight meant I was swerving across like a mad man and without noticing Maarten at all, gave him suspension damage. At that point we both didn't know what happened. I didn't know he was there and I didn't know he had damage (because no damage for me), before laps later he wondered where he got suspension damage. Afterwards, on the broadcast everything became clear. So sorry for that, Maarten. The same mad man swerve occured with @Jomas, Again, I wasn't meant to do that. Luckily there was no damage then.

Squable with fellow Warpboy @MaarteN5H was fun after race start and after my pitstop. Funny enough we were at a certain moment waiting for each other to get by cleanly when we were entering T3 side by side! :lol:

I didn't have blue flag incidents. Everything went very well getting by backmarkers. Kudos for that @fastnloud30 , but we want you to drive with us :(

Thanks for the race everyone and brilliant broadcast again @Hasse R !
The only race I don't do I would of been the fastest full tank on rm I could do a 1:18.100 with no issues. Why did I think of been a marshal :lol::lol::lol::lol:.

Real reason for not racing is I'm very tired I've started a new buisness and my time is cut short so last thing I want to do is drive a fast car and cause an unwanted incident with an innocent person.
But loved been the marshal I had more time to talk with yous as it's my decency to be there for yous. Other is it looks more professional for reviewing penalties.

But of corse is be back on track again very soon not sure sf19 but will be soon. As you guys are the best to race with. Some disagreements off track or one way convos but overall great stuff.

@RealJaySee I did 40+ laps on those RMs just because I had grip under the car in spades compared to RH... and before I caught you, boy were they busted! I watched you pull 0.4 on me a couple laps in a row in the last dying stages and I almost lost hope in catching you.

When you were one second behind me I finally got myself together and did a couple of clean laps. At that point, I barely touched my overtake button, so I still had 75%. I used it on the main straight to counter your slipstream advantage. In the last lap I decided to use it on all straights, which changed the braking points off course and made me bin it in one of the last corners :(

@fastnloud30 I'd feel a little bit better if I could hear : "This is race control, blue flag for JC, I repeat, blue flag for JC" :D

When you were one second behind me I finally got myself together and did a couple of clean laps. At that point, I barely touched my overtake button, so I still had 75%. I used it on the main straight to counter your slipstream advantage. In the last lap I decided to use it on all straights, which changed the braking points off course and made me bin it in one of the last corners :(

@fastnloud30 I'd feel a little bit better if I could hear : "This is race control, blue flag for JC, I repeat, blue flag for JC" :D
It's defo something we could try out. Or if ppl are ok with it I'll leave flags off but for ppl to use the mirrors more. As it should be visable of a position number above the car and if all fails I could call a message out. Then maybe that way ppl may be more happy with that route ?

Round 4
RS+RM x3 tyre wear
1 set of RS only to be used
57(+2) laps
Yamagiwa - not sure on time of day yet, somewhere near mid day probably

Grid
  1. TSR_GTWelsh
  2. TSR_T5Black
  3. TSR_Kurt24
  4. TSR_Jimmy
  5. TSR_Maarten
  6. CrazyJohn
  7. JoeOfTheFire
  8. StormPacer
  9. Pinkarey
  10. Samdigby
  11. Halbstark093
  12. DR_HASH
  13. Will-Friedmann
  14. JC10110

Penalty strikes
CrazyJohnIsHere ■
WaikeCU ■
TSR_T5Black ■
TSR_STIG ■​

Last edited:
It's defo something we could try out. Or if ppl are ok with it I'll leave flags off but for ppl to use the mirrors more. As it should be visable of a position number above the car and if all fails I could call a message out. Then maybe that way ppl may be more happy with that route ?

Tbh, I was suprised that Jimmy was already behind me when I got my first blue flag. So without a message it would have cost him time as I wasnt aware. Later in the race I let someone past without getting a blue flag message. So just using the mirrors might work in some cases, but in other cases not.

No offence and appoligese if it looked that way. the trouble you find off the car behind struggles to get close due to the wake (dirty air) so they can't actually get close. The method didn't work in my eyes but was just to try helping the front runners out as before it caused massive troubles for them too pass. But still big thanks for efforts for racing :)
Just adding to this- dirty air only exists when you're in slipstream range (under 0.7 behind).

Just adding to this- dirty air only exists when you're in slipstream range (under 0.7 behind).
Correct it can but also the setup of each car can change the feeling of wake in rl terms.
So say you have hsu and to correct this you carry max front wing with min front sr to aid on track. But if you have a car infront you can in most cases suffer more.
I tend to run hso and i don't get wake as much but my trouble running hso i end up with lso and can catch you out on the counterside. But benefit good tyre life.

Anyways good win, good to watch. Like i said before i did try to my best on the blue flags. Any problems send me a message as happy to listen and help out. :)

Correct it can but also the setup of each car can change the feeling of wake in rl terms.
So say you have hsu and to correct this you carry max front wing with min front sr to aid on track. But if you have a car infront you can in most cases suffer more.
I tend to run hso and i don't get wake as much but my trouble running hso i end up with lso and can catch you out on the counterside. But benefit good tyre life.

Anyways good win, good to watch. Like i said before i did try to my best on the blue flags. Any problems send me a message as happy to listen and help out. :)
What's hsu, lso and hso :P feel like I should know xD

High speed understeer (hsu)
High speed oversteer (hso)
Mid speed understeer (msu)
Mid speed oversteer (mso)
Low speed understeer (lsu)
Low speed oversteer (lso)

That's the easy bit

Next weeks class is mechanical balance :lol:

That's the easy bit

Do they also use these abbreviations within F1?

I feel like in gtsport the dirty air effect and slipstream are just the game seeing you're within a certain distance of another car, and then lowering your downforce by X percent equally over both the front and rear.

Also, found out I'd practiced fuji with the wrong tyre wear. Still had it on x3 from Autopolis. I wondered why the tyres weren't dropping off much in the race lol.

I feel like in gtsport the dirty air effect and slipstream are just the game seeing you're within a certain distance of another car, and then lowering your downforce by X percent equally over both the front and rear.

Also, found out I'd practiced fuji with the wrong tyre wear. Still had it on x3 from Autopolis. I wondered why the tyres weren't dropping off much in the race lol.
That's what I'm saying I run a different setup that doesn't suffer with wake as much. You can also feel it through the wheel. I run oversteer so when the wake reduces df i don't suffer as much as was when I first tested the car out but was running a lot of understeer.

On the subject of dirty air, it's definitely there, it's just hard to gauge when it will be. I have a feeling it's there around .8 - 1 second, it's more noticeable in the quicker corners, 100R was in particular difficult to follow cars through, was also the same for Dunlop at Suzuka, both flat out corners usually but a bit sketchy when following another car. It's why I couldn't get past Jomas at Autopolis, the two places where you could potentially overtake had relatively fast corners before, and even though I didn't get close enough to him where he was physically in my way, he still held me up, I was 1.5 second quicker after he pitted.

It's harsh for backmarkers to get out of the way when the leader is over 1 second away, obviously the game has its blue flags shown way too soon, not sure about the gap on the game but I would guess it's around 5 seconds for the blue flags to be shown. I think we can all use our common sense to know when the leader is close enough that we are holding them up.

That's the easy bit

wtfbbqlolnvmkthnxbai.

@RealJaySee I had my overtake (STUPIDLY) mapped to left analogue stick, and didn't realise how much I push down on the stick when I steer til I felt it boost me in corners. The one lap I just pulled of to the side before final corner to let everyone by was me pulling over to deplete it! :lol:

Back