TUTORIAL - Manually Configuring Your XLink Kai & PS2 *With Pics*

Droptop_Chick
You'd have better luck at the XLink Forums...

yea... i tried a dozen disscusion in xLink and posted my difficulty, but theres no luck in getting my answer. Thanks thought Droptop, i still hope theres someone in this froum that can help me.

hey awesome tutorial, one thing you i see you are running XP OS i am currently running ME (mellium *sp* edition) could you tell me where i could find the DHCP client properties? Thanks

Hoang
hey awesome tutorial, one thing you i see you are running XP OS i am currently running ME (mellium *sp* edition) could you tell me where i could find the DHCP client properties? Thanks

Even if you're running 98/ME it should be about the same as XP, if not identical to 2000. I've recently switched back to 2000, so I'll do something for the older versions of windows, but it should be in the Control Panel under Administrative Tools just like it is in XP, you just have to look for it.

Thank you so much!! Thanks for putting up with my question and for this amazing tutorial. It took me around 2 to 3 hours to put it all together (couldn't find the MAC Address, but I realized after I made one up, you can find it at the very end where it tells you that the PS2 connection failed). THANK YOU!

DTC, is it just me, or do you NOT need the mac address of the PS2 as KAI will figure it out on the first connection attempt? Maybe I'm wrong.

Swift
DTC, is it just me, or do you NOT need the mac address of the PS2 as KAI will figure it out on the first connection attempt? Maybe I'm wrong.
You can play with automatic setting, that means no mac address.

From my understanding, certain routers are auto-detect settings friendly while others aren't. Some routers just don't like Kai at all and require port forwarding. Some people don't need to do the setup manually, some do, and some need to configure manually and do a port forward. It just depends on your networks setup.

Can someone please name a few aditional things other than PS2 and GT4? Hardware I mean, cause I believe I have to get that first...dont I;):P

A computer(hardwired)+PS2+network adapter+internet cable+.....GT4+.........then I dont know........btw I have good computer in my next room, could that become problem?

I would like to understand why this thread is in the drifting section of GT4? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I never heard about this "kai" thing in this forum before... Now I understand why!
Can you make a separate section for all this LAN Mode Xlink and kai systems?
It would be the best for all the newbies too. And keep this thread sticky...

nurburgring
I would like to understand why this thread is in the drifting section of GT4? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I never heard about this "kai" thing in this forum before... Now I understand why!
Can you make a separate section for all this LAN Mode Xlink and kai systems?
It would be the best for all the newbies too. And keep this thread sticky...

This thread is here because people like to drift with others. Tandem drifting is good for two reasons. Fun and learning curve. You learn faster with someone else and of course it's more fun together.

It's not to hard to understand at all.

I'm not going to suggest a seperate forum for the Xlink as I don't believe there is enough participation in it to warrant such a thing. This thread is also part of the "main" sticky at the top of this forum. So there's no need to sticky it.

G-T-4-Fan
Can someone please name a few aditional things other than PS2 and GT4? Hardware I mean, cause I believe I have to get that first...dont I;):P

A computer(hardwired)+PS2+network adapter+internet cable+.....GT4+.........then I dont know........btw I have good computer in my next room, could that become problem?

Alright, you seem to have everything, here's how to set it up. Use the Ethernet cable (internet wire for high speed interent) to connect the network adapter with the Router. Now, use a normal phone wire to connect the network adapter to your computer. After you've done that, you're set for the tutorial. If you don't know the MAC address, make one up and in the when you check whether the PS2 is connected or not, in that little area (with the PS2 pic), are some numbers in bold. THAT's your MAC address ^_^

Spyder_V
Alright, you seem to have everything, here's how to set it up. Use the Ethernet cable (internet wire for high speed interent) to connect the network adapter with the Router. Now, use a normal phone wire to connect the network adapter to your computer. After you've done that, you're set for the tutorial. If you don't know the MAC address, make one up and in the when you check whether the PS2 is connected or not, in that little area (with the PS2 pic), are some numbers in bold. THAT's your MAC address ^_^

Phone cord? WTF are you talking about? If the PS2 is connected to your router, it's on your network. Why would you connect it to your computer, let alone with a phone cord?

Your computer has to be connected to your router with a CAT-5 cable (high speed internet cable), and so does your PS2. If you opt to connect your PS2 to your network via your computer you need to use 2 network cards. One wired to your router for your computers connection with a CAT-5 cable. The other network card should be wired to your PS2's network adapter with a CAT-6 cable (crossover cable).

Hi DT_C!

I just sent u a private message a few minutes ago but now i have stumbled across the setup that u have just described in the last post above. If i was to use two NICs would i still need to perform the port forwarding? would the configuration be any different to what you have stated in you config tutorial?

At the moment i am connecting my ps2 to my router (via cat 5) and my computer to my router (via cat 5) with the UDP port 30000 forwarded to my computer's ip. is that correct?

Could you please also have a look at the private message that i sent you, as it explains my main problem that i am having.

Thanks.

I have network reachable yes and my ps2 is configured succesfullly.
So i guess it should work to play.

But something doesnt feel right. I have 2 nic in my pc, one to my broadband (not router) and one to a switch where my xbox and ps2 are connected.

A regular setup should have looked like on my Xbox. A gateway so the console finds it way to the PC. And mostly, an IP-Adress thats on the SAME subnet as my NIC.

On my NIC i have the 192.168.1.x series, and the same on Xbox.
My question is, why is it that for PS2 it should be a totally different IP ?
It should work with an 192.168 IP ?

Or else, if i use the IP the calculator is suggesting, i should have changed my NICs IP to the same IP serie ?

Thats something i just dont understand..

And one more thing.. That disable DHCP could not do any different..
To just change the setting to "disabled" means that when the PC boot up the dhcp client wont start, and no internet would be awailable.
So what does that really do? :)

Great guide by the way!

I don't know if I should ask this here or at the Kai-forums, but: everything works untill the very last step. It "failed to configure" my PS2.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

I finally got my Router and got it working. I want to play now but no one is hosting any games. ; ;

Anyways thanks for the post it set me up right to play online.

Help, my ps2 must be different from urs droptop because i dont see that mac address thing, and im not the computer admin and no theres no possible way for me to get into the computer admin so !!!!HELP!!!!! please!!

futuredrifter
Help, my ps2 must be different from urs droptop because i dont see that mac address thing, and im not the computer admin and no theres no possible way for me to get into the computer admin so !!!!HELP!!!!! please!!

Disable DHCP only if the Kai engine doesn't see your PS2 at all after all the steps. Meaning Kai neither configures your PS2, nor does it fail to confiugre it, Kai just fails to recognize it's even connected to your network. It's not really necessary, I only put it in for the sake of less questions down the road. If you can't find your MAC address at that particular screen, you'll have to go through your Online Setup CD that came with your PS2/network adapter. I have tried using the Version screen on both the old PS2 an the SlimPS2. Both displayed the MAC address at the bottom, so I see no reason why you shouldn't see it there. Have you tried auto-configuring your LAN profile in GT4? You should do that before trying to do it manually.

Droptop_Chick
Disable DHCP only if the Kai engine doesn't see your PS2 at all after all the steps. Meaning Kai neither configures your PS2, nor does it fail to confiugre it, Kai just fails to recognize it's even connected to your network. It's not really necessary, I only put it in for the sake of less questions down the road. If you can't find your MAC address at that particular screen, you'll have to go through your Online Setup CD that came with your PS2/network adapter. I have tried using the Version screen on both the old PS2 an the SlimPS2. Both displayed the MAC address at the bottom, so I see no reason why you shouldn't see it there. Have you tried auto-configuring your LAN profile in GT4? You should do that before trying to do it manually.

Thanks alot, i got the mac adress for my ps2.....but i cant dissable the DHCP (im not admin) and yes i tried it automatically.

futuredrifter
Thanks alot, i got the mac adress for my ps2.....but i cant dissable the DHCP (im not admin) and yes i tried it automatically.

So when you try and configure your PS2 in Kai it doesn't recognize your PS2 on the network, or it's failing to configure? From what I've read on the XLink forums, certain routers have issues with the Kai engine. Your range of options if it's not a router friendly to Kai are: doing a port forward, or setting a set number of static IP addresses for your computers so your router doesn't try and assign your PS2 an IP address. But if you're not the administrator for your computer, then you can't do those either.

Back