TUTORIAL - Manually Configuring Your XLink Kai & PS2 *With Pics*

After upgrading my firewall (ZoneAlarm), I can't play GT4 on xlink. I check my network adapter and it was not on the list. Does anyone have the same problem?

xlink13ur.jpg

The firewall that comes with XP you can just mark Kai as an exception, but firewalls like ZoneAlarm/Norton Firewall need to be disabled.

Ryosuke_Gumna
I disabled my Firewall, but it's not working.

Have you tried reinstalling xlink kai?
How is your network set up?

Does your router uplink to another switch or another router then your ps2?
Give me an IM on AOL and I"ll help out.

Remember to try using AUTO settings first...IF you have problems with that use the MANUAL CONFIg....I have been lucky and use auto settings so I have never had to manually configure my ip....

I have another problem. I formated my computer, I configured all my Kai Config Tool. My ps2 is detected but it's still not working. Can anyone help me? Maybe on AIM.

Can anyone tell if this works only PAL to PAL and NTSC to NTSC or is it possible to play NTSC to PAL or visa-versa? Would be great if I could play NTSC on my end (Hi Def) and PAL for my mate on the other end.

Cheers in advance.
👍

Droptop_Chick
PAL is only compatible with PAL, NTSC is only compatible with NTSC. Sucks but thats how it is.
Thanks Droptop_Chick, I have both versions so I guess it's PAL to PAL then :)

In saying that I have simular issues to Ryosuke_Gumna where his network card does not come up on the Kai Config Tool...

xlink13ur.jpg

I have my PS2 connected directly to my router and have followed your good instruction to the 'T'. Some say leaving the config tool at 'Autoconfig and Lock' should be fine but I can't get my PS2 detected whatsoever in Kai. DHCP was disabled but kept running so I manually stopped it. However in doing so I lost my PC ip address and had configure manually and reboot. Did all that and got my PC back online but still Kai refuses to find my PS2...

Kai1a.jpg
Kai2.jpg

My other PAL friend has an identical setup to me at his house and his network card came up in Kai Config and XLink Kai detected his PS2 first go. Are there perhaps router settings that need to be defined and explained like ports to open, router dhcp setting etc. ?

Thanks Again

I'm not exactly sure what the deal is with network cards not showing up in the Kai Config tool. Do you have a firewall up other than your router? If you want to do a port forward try going to http://www.portforward.com/. Then go into your Kai Config tool and list the range of ports you've opened. If that doesn't work you should go to the XLink forums and tell them what you've tried and see if they can help. Try searching for your specific router and see if anyone else has had problems with/without doing a port-forward.

Yeh I only have the firewall on my router running, no software firewalls running at all.
The thing is I think the problem is not a router or firewall issue but a network problem with the PC that is running Kai. I mean Kai Config tool isn't looking for a network card somewhere on your network, it's looking for the hardware on the PC Xlink Kai is running from. So the problem lies before we get to the router side of things.
Another thing is I use Kai mainly for playing Xbox online and when doing so Kai finds my Xbox fine without me having to manually select my network card in the config tool.

Either way thanks for all your help Droptop_Chick, I'll take your advice and post about it on the official XLink Kai forums. If I find the problem and fix it I'll post back in here about it. Cheers again
. 👍

yea i got my system config.....it sasy my ps2 was succesfuly configed....but my Xlink quits on me and says that im unreachable

also where it says Network Reachable: my says "not yet"

can some one explain to me?

my aim: MASK3DxJOK3R

Jok3r-FC
yea i got my system config.....it sasy my ps2 was succesfuly configed....but my Xlink quits on me and says that im unreachable

also where it says Network Reachable: my says "not yet"

can some one explain to me?

my aim: MASK3DxJOK3R
Go to Kai Config Tools. And then change your Kai Port to 30000 + same as your router.

Sbatts6
Thanks Suzuki..just what i was looking for
no problem. i was trying to get my new ps2 to work with kai, so i went and found that new link to it. but still cant get my new slim ps2 to work with kai. so sadly i gotta keep my old fatty.:yuck:

Suzuki
no problem. i was trying to get my new ps2 to work with kai, so i went and found that new link to it. but still cant get my new slim ps2 to work with kai. so sadly i gotta keep my old fatty.:yuck:
Hey don't diss the fatty, it's great and for thoughs who have FFXI with the HDD, you get tons of space for replay saves:tup: .

AngleProvidence
Hey don't diss the fatty, it's great and for thoughs who have FFXI with the HDD, you get tons of space for replay saves:tup: .
yeah, ive got the hdd. i just need to get around to buying the disk to let me put everything on it.

Very interested to get this working, even if I can only play with fellow PALers, but I'm having some major issues. Just for reference sake, my current setup is as follows-

-Cable modem connects directly to computer via USB
-Because I am on cable, my computer is technically a part of the Optus (my ISP) network and they are picky about how many entities I can have connected at any one time. Specifically, the limit is 1 (one), which means I cannot share an internet connection using the standard Windows wizard, I need to set up a proxy.
-I have a simple proxy server running on my machine, and my housemate's PC gets it's internet access this way. To use my PS2 with XLink, I would simply be plugging the ethernet cable into my PS2 instead of my housemate's PC.

Does anyone else have a similar setup or experience with this program and proxies? Would it still work?

Regarding DHCP, I cannot turn this off. As I mentioned earlier, computer part of the Optus network, blah blah blah, etc.. No DHCP = network doesn't know I'm there, I get no internet at all.

Write down the IP & Sub-net values the IP Calulator will produce.
Subnet values? What subnet values?

http://members.optusnet.com.au/trinityjayone/xlink1.jpg
http://members.optusnet.com.au/trinityjayone/xlink2.jpg

Does the Xlink Kai program absolutely HAVE to assign your PS2 the specific IP based on it's MAC address? If there's a way to manually tell it what you've set in your PS2, I could grab the IP and such from my housemate's PC and stick them into my PS2 (because they'd be occupying the same location in the network) and that'd guarantee that it's going to work ok with the proxy. Or does the Kai program function as a proxy if it's assigning the PS2 it's own IP and subnet? Aaaaaaargh too confusing.

Can anyone offer some advice?

one quick question-
the new link for the PS2 IP calculator only gives an IP address, and does not give any sub-net values (which TrinityJayOne was also pointing out) Do you need these sub-net values to play online, or can you use just the IP address? If you ned the sub-net values where else can I get mine?

To the last post, I just used the IP given for both areas.

And a big thanks to the tutorial, made setting up xlink super easy. I had just one problem with it, disabling dhcp. This made it so that I have absolutely no internet access. It is likely due to my network setup, I've 2 nic cards in my computer, one which the modem is plugged into, and the second I've ran to a hub, and then the ps2 plugged into this.

As best as I can tell I have it working properly, but it seems nobody really plays gt4 on kai. When do people on the east coast play?

Instead of disabling DHCP, you can always set a static IP inside your router's web configuration, and set the PS2 ( or in your case, the 2nd network card ) to use that IP. This takes some computer knowledge, but thats how I set it up to get around that issue. If your looking to drift on xlink basically you need to get AIM/MSN names and contact them. Generally its busy at night... 9pm est or later...

Back