Two New Wheels come from Logitech - Lets predict!;)

• Thread starter Krassi
  • 172 comments
I think a new Logitech wheel that is similar in spec to the CSL Elite could do quite well. I really hope we start seeing load cell brakes come as standard on all pedals soon enough.
That would be cool, but I fear the accountants wouldn't want something that pricey. Personally, if I had the helm, I'd look in to an insanely low power DD wheel. I'm sure the lawyers would have a say in the torque specs, but I think Logitech could redefine the market with a 3-5 Nm DD wheel. I say such low torque because this wheel is used by many young enthusiasts who are less able to take a wheel failure while its in hand (again... that's a dig at the lawyers). I think the wheel manufacturing cost could be a similar cost to the current wheel because of the simplicity and reduction in parts, but the software development costs along with motor development costs would cause a problem and would significantly raise the "actual" price. This is my pipe dream for them, but I fully expect them to stay close to the formula they have now.

As far as the load cell brake, again I'd LOVE to see them become the mid-market standard as the cost to implement it isn't high, however I fear the way this segment of the market drives would make it a problem. The $200-$400 market is driven largely from desks and wheel stands. Even a low load load-cell, like a 15-30kg cell, would be pushed all over the dining room floor (yes, I'm exaggerating but not by much). Load cells effectively require you to hard mount your pedals to something, and nearly require some sort of rig, or at a minimum you need to rig some stability up. For this reason, I think they will continue to steer clear of the load cell. I hope I'm wrong, but that would be my stance if I were making the calls.

One other thing I've been thinking about, I don't think it would be a stretch to see them start a modular concept like Fanatec proved could be profitable, and Thrustmaster is now embracing. I think its a logical step for Logitech.

Last edited:
Dont overestimate direct drive tech by the direct drive thing itself. The only real advantage is the power, that creates a real life force scenario. More precisely sayd, the speed and holding force. Peak forces are more or less not important.
A dd with less then 10nm holding force is probably senseless.

Dont overestimate direct drive tech by the direct drive thing itself. The only real advantage is the power, that creates a real life force scenario. More precisely sayd, the speed and holding force. Peak forces are more or less not important.
A dd with less then 10nm holding force is probably senseless.
I see the biggest advantage of direct drive as the resolution of the subtle details. Not having to transmit details through a belt or across a drive-line, especially at these low torque levels. IMO, that should play out quite nicely. Unfortunately, the lower power would almost be a requirement. If you've ever watched a young person (one that is simply playing/crashing around) use this type of wheel, you'll know they simply do the dumbest things. And let's face facts, Logitech is too mainstream to ignore that liability. Obviously this is a theoretical product so there is no prototype to prove the theory, but I think Logitech could make this happen. However, I believe there would be a massive loss per unit in the short term to a company that is having investor issues. Ultimately, I think that is the biggest problem.

Also... remember I'm filing this under pipe dream. The expectation for something like this is very low.

Last edited:
Even a low load load-cell, like a 15-30kg cell, would be pushed all over the dining room floor (yes, I'm exaggerating but not by much). Load cells effectively require you to hard mount your pedals to something, and nearly require some sort of rig, or at a minimum you need to rig some stability up. For this reason, I think they will continue to steer clear of the load cell. I hope I'm wrong, but that would be my stance if I were making the calls.

Guys, a load cell is a sensor. The exact same pedal with the exact same spring and exact same forces can have a load cell attached to measure force instead of a pot to measure distance. If it doesn't move with the pot it wont move with the load cell.
If you ask for more force with stronger springs, then it will move..

Guys, a load cell is a sensor. The exact same pedal with the exact same spring and exact same forces can have a load cell attached to measure force instead of a pot to measure distance. If it doesn't move with the pot it wont move with the load cell.
If you ask for more force with stronger springs, then it will move..

Yes, it measures force and not distance as potentiometers do, but no... its very seldom the "same" level of force. Sure, in some titles you can try to mimic that level of force, but that is not the case in all. As you mentioned, my pedals are, quite literally the "same" physical size on both potentiometer and load cell configuration. They have the "same" placement, and the "same" leverage... but in their out of the box configuration the level of input is significantly different.

In games like GT Sport where you don't have the ability to lower the maximum force needed to reach full brake (calibrate it), you have to press the pedal to the maximum manufactured calibrated force for the pedal. In the case of the CSL Elite pedal, that would be 90kg. I believe the Ricmotech load cell is rated to 80kg (but lists that it provides maximum brake at 31kg or 70 lbs), either way that is a TON of force for a free standing pedal. While the Ricmotech cell may be programmed to provide a lower out of the box force requirement, I would assume that it is dependent on the game's ability to tune it.

I use a Fanatec setup, and the wheel base allows me to turn down the maximum force needed to get full brake, but even at 60% its FAR TOO MUCH force needed for an unmounted set of pedals. There is ZERO chance of using that setup free standing on the floor or carpet without significantly turning down the force needed.

By the way, I was able to use the 2 pedal potentiometer set up without hard mounting, but it worked better when it was hard mounted.

Last edited:
Leaked picture of the new logitech wheel. Looks like momo is official partner! :D:D:D:D

Attachments

• hgffzghgh.jpg
    hgffzghgh.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 209
Simracing expo 2019 started yesterday, but i missed the 2 guys running arround and show everything, like last year.
In 1 hour (10am) the expo open the doors again, hope today they show some new stuff.
Livesteam -> https://www.simracingexpo.de/de/livestream
Would be awesome to see a Logitech prototype or something like that^^

Last edited:
Its hard to imagine Logitech leaving the top end of the entry level. I saw a survey aimed at PC league racers which also asked what wheel they were using and Logitech was clearly the most used wheel make. The G29/920 offers a great combination of a reliable leather trimmed wheel with a metal three pedal set for a price far lower than rival belt driven wheels. You would think they could go to belt drive without it costing much more but Thrustmaster's prices would suggest that you can't. As a long time Logitech user starting with the DFGT, followed by a G25 and recently by a G29, I look forward to more news.

Any news or leaks on the new wheels? I was thinking of getting a G29 within a month or so to use on GT Sport and AC (if I get it), but I don't want to buy a product just before a better, next gen one is released.

Some important update - now the new wheels are confirmed officialy that are in beta test etc...by confirmed I mean from few different sources, but under NDA ofcourse...that NDA is to do not share any details, but didint restrick the topic that new wheels are coming!;)
What we know now:
- We know that Logitect collecting oppinions from Simracers how they use their equipment, what they use often, what they like and so on
- They never invest so much money in a close work with gamers/simracers/moders etc...
- That shows to me that their upcoming wheels are targeted to be really Simracing products, not only racing controllers for general sale in stores etc...
- In their research they speak for clutch bite point, mods, changeable rims and alot termins, which are involved in the Simracing hobby
- we can be sure this time the wheels are not just produced from old wheel parts leftover and just redesigned G29 for example

Now I can say that if someone ask you those kind of questions - he/they have in mind something. For me will be interesting how their new wheels will beat Thrustmaster ones....as I said already Fanatec is imposible to catch at this moment at least...
From the info they collect - they target is to make Logitech great again!;) On the racing scene.. we will see!;)

My only concern for those are related to the fact that companies that big like Logitech are more conservative and slow in doing revolutions in gaming controllers, but we remember G25 when cam it was really something!

DFGT didn't support ps3 to ps4 ; i hope they won't do the same with g29 when PS5 comes out...........................................................................................

DFGT didn't support ps3 to ps4 ; i hope they won't do the same with g29 when PS5 comes out...........................................................................................
I can bet that PS5 will give hand to all PS4 controllers, so dont worry for that:) G29 have some future I think!;)

After confirmation that XB1 and PS4 gaming peripherals will be compatible with next gen consoles, they dont ne

So that would mean that I can rock my G25 drivehub combo on the ps5 as well?

I still have a G25, and was running it on my PS3 until I got the G29. Super durable, and worked perfectly, 15 years on. My issue with the 29 is the implementation in Gran Turismo- the wheel is brilliant in other games, but honks a__ in GTS. Brake feel could definitely be improved. I'd buy an upgraded pedal set if it was offered. Try to remember that the Logitech wheels offer amazing performance for the price, and that not everyone has a Fantec budget. (And some of us that do would be sleeping in our sim rigs if our significant others found out how much we'd spent...) Call me interested- I'll be watching for any news!

I also keep on using the G25. It still feels rock solid after 14 years of usage. OK I admit, I have installed a brass encoder, but otherwise, it runs almost everyday without problems.

*knocks on wood

So that would mean that I can rock my G25 drivehub combo on the ps5 as well?
I think YES! I also have DH...in the worst case scenario they will release new firmware for PS5 and you will need to use PS5 controller pluged in DH instead of PS4 controller...

Logitech going right away for DD wheels whkes no sense at all.

A belt driven wheels, for me, is the right way to go. Making changeable rims and having an ecosystem like TM and Fanatec would be great.
TBH makes less sense to me that wheel manufacturers make belt drive for wheels in the first place, seems a flawed way to make a force feedback wheel IMO. All the ones I have tried seem meh like the T300 and T500 compared to direct drive wheels and even G27 in some aspects. At the current prices of some belt driven wheels, surely it would be possible to do a better direct drive one by now? Reliability should be a lot better too. I ordered a direct drive washing machine about 12 years ago for not much more than a G25 back then, hopefully for next-generation consoles have affordable direct drive wheels going forward from likes of Logitech and Thrustmaster and also better entry level FFB wheels than likes of G29 and T150.

I noticed on survey they still mentioned about old Gran Turismo games so hopefully they add back in PS2 and PS3 compatibility. It would be great if they could offer replica of current McLaren Formula One steering wheel and also one of their GT3 cars and some of their road cars as options and a better quick release system (Like the ones on real race cars) than likes of Thrustmaster and Fanatec offer given they are starting afresh. Not long now before next-gen announcements start, 2020 should be a great year for hardware all around.
I've asked this before I think, but anyone got tips on a potential realease date? Around PS5 time or earlier?
By the sounds of it they already have hardware to try out and clearing old stock, maybe they could release even this year or early next year once the name of the next-gen systems are known fully but don't see why they can't just say supports next-generation PlayStation and Xbox if they already have implemented the required hardware.

Back