Un-official GTPlanet BBC Topgear UK ThreadTV 

• Thread starter ExigeEvan
  • 10,125 comments
Matt Le Hamster.png

It's being shown down here in Australia on Monday night. BBC knowledge have been playing that promo for the past few weeks.
In here.... Quite after the Top Gear Fiasco left off, the BBC Knowledge ratings plummeted and prompted to do complete retool to BBC Earth, which you guess what its contains..... No more Top Gear.

They deliberately wants to shrink the audience.

Quite after the Top Gear Fiasco left off, the BBC Knowledge ratings plummeted and prompted to do complete retool to BBC Earth, which you guess what its contains..... No more Top Gear.

Wow, really?

BBC Knowledge on pay tv down here has Top Gear on multiple times a day. They even showed the India special again last night. :lol:

I am part of their world-wide audience
Which part of British television made for a British audience don't you get? Selling a show to another country is due to perceived popularity. It does not mean it should, somehow, be changed to suit the country it has been sold to. If you want that, you should make your own version.

I am part of their world-wide audience
Remind me again of how you get Top Gear? Actually, don't.

I can't imagine a production meeting where someone suggests that they make a section aimed at those who illegally download it. Image of cartoon guy getting thrown out of window.

Which part of British television made for a British audience don't you get? Selling a show to another country is due to perceived popularity. It does not mean it should, somehow, be changed to suit the country it has been sold to. If you want that, you should make your own version.

I get that, but it seemed with the latest seasons Top Gear became less focused on them the show less UK centric, not sure why is that wrong? Apparently even the people who fund the british show agree, since they hired a host who is not from the UK.
Remind me again of how you get Top Gear? Actually, don't.

I can't imagine a production meeting where someone suggests that they make a section aimed at those who illegally download it. Image of cartoon guy getting thrown out of window.

Funnily enough, we get Top Gear on our channels here. We didn't get the A-Z special only.

I get that, but it seemed with the latest seasons Top Gear became less focused on them the show less UK centric, not sure why is that wrong? Apparently even the people who fund the british show agree, since they hired a host who is not from the UK.

What do you mean? If it's the special episodes that visit other countries then, again, that it to entertain a British audience. It is made for Britain, financed by Britain and then sold to other countries. That's all.

What do you mean? If it's the special episodes that visit other countries then, again, that it to entertain a British audience. It is made for Britain, financed by Britain and then sold to other countries. That's all.

Not just that, but getting Hollywood stars in the SIARPC. And they seem to be going more abroad lately. Could be related to higher budget, could be related to catering to the high number of countries it is being shown in, I think it's a bit of both in my opinion.

Both Richard and Matt love their Porsche 911's. Jeremy is the kind of guy that would probably let Matt know it is not the number to call in UK if when he crashes his squashed Beetle.

I meant more from a character point of view, Matt is going to be the controversial / outspoken one and the one who is going to do all the silly stuff.

if it wasnt an international show they would never have had people like Tom Cruise or Cameron Diaz and would never have got Matt Leblanc either.

I would like to know how you know that its aimed at British rather than international ?

I can watch legally top gear on bbc2 on my TV, then I can watch it again on French TV translated or in english and finaly theres the French version also airing.

I think until like season 10 it was aimed at British audience but then it become more of an international show.

Because nobody in the UK would watch it if it wasnt made for us. We pay for its production. How much clearer could it be?

As for Hollywood stars. American film stars have films to support on release over here just as they have anywhere else.

I thought Top Gear became so popular worldwide due to its puerile sense of humour. Three British idiots making a car show. Will be interesting to see if it will be as popular as it was given that it will likely be a different style and also have Amazon competition.
I meant more from a character point of view, Matt is going to be the controversial / outspoken one and the one who is going to do all the silly stuff.
Can't really imagine Matt being like Jeremy. Richard did do quite a lot of the silly stuff.

I can imagine Matt putting on a less sexually promiscuous Joey façade would come across more Hammond-esque than anything akin to Clarkson's brand of buffoonery. Perhaps Matt could even do a better job of acting like Hammond than Hammond managed himself. Without a script.

Third and final episode of Cars Of The People tonight 9pm on BBC Two, and tonight its about what happened to those 'Cars of the Future' we were promised in the past.

It's actually the 6th episode or the 3rd of the 2nd series.

I liked the 1st one of the 2nd series a lot, was very interesting.

Can't say I know much about the other hosts.
Matt LeBlanc was Joey Tribbiani, the dim-witted aspiring actor on "Friends". He's also a genuine petrolhead and the fastest Star In A Reasonably-Priced Car.

Eddie Jordan is the brains - or maybe just the luck - behind Jordan Grand Prix, a Formula One team that ran from 1991 to 2005 (when he sold to Midland, who sold to Spyker, who sold to Force India) and probably best-known for being the original irreverent team, giving Michael Schumacher his début, Heinz-Harald Frentzen a car that could challenge for the championship in 1999, and their novel approach to tobacco censorship (they painted the nose of the car to look like a snake, then renamed "Benson & Hedges" to be "Bitten & Hisses"). He's since been an expert commentator for the BBC's Formula One coverage, but he is - as one of my teachers used to say - mad as a London bus. He was, however, the first journalist who picked up on Lewis Hamilton's move to Mercedes, so most fans view him with a mix of bemusement and trepidation.

Last edited:
I quite like this cast. I belive it'll be a balance between entreteinment and a car-magazine. It'll be interesting to see. I must say it has become interesting.

I think that they would know that simply trying to replicate the previous formula would not work.

You would be surprised at the BBC's penchant for having terrible remakes and rehashes of previously successful TV shows. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for now.

You would be surprised at the BBC's penchant for having terrible remakes and rehashes of previously successful TV shows. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for now.
I suppose it comes down to what they remake. Of they could successfully recreate the Zimbabwe trip, I'd be okay with it - it worked because it was three mates who set out to do something ambitious, but achievable without really knowing what to expect, but enjoying it nonetheless. If, on the other hand, they tried to recreate the India trip, it would be a disaster.

I'm still somewhat in shock about Matt LeBlanc. It's either an insane bit of genius or... just stupid.
Exactly my feelings - we'll have to wait and see, but Matt LeBlanc is a very personable character and might just be an inspired selection.

I'm not a big fan of Chris Evans, but underestimate him at your peril - while some of his shows are not to my taste at all, he is extremely media savvy, a natural communicator and a pretty decent guy all things considered - he's also a car nut and very well connected in the media industry, and most certainly has the ability to make the show a success. It will be different, but arguably the old format had pretty much run its course - to the point of almost becoming a self-parody at times.

The worst kept secret is out of the bag, cast seems decent enough. Interested to see how 6 will work though.

In having such a large team it seems they are going for the old Top Gear style of presenting with segments and features. Much like how Fifth Gear and The Gadget Show is presented. I don't know how it's going to work having 6 people on a road trip for example. Also it's pretty obvious the BBC has gone the PC route.

Last edited:
Back