Unpopular Opinions- Cars in General

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 1,713 comments
My cousin's 2003 Discovery really didn't blow me away, with all the hype I figured it would be a GTR of the mud. It was capable, but the terrible reliability, and horrible parts availability would have me shopping Toyota or Jeep if I wanted a hard core offroader.
I don't mean the Disco, I mean the Land Rover Sport/Vogue models.

I don't mean the Disco, I mean the Land Rover Sport/Vogue models.

I really don't think those are the best suited off-roading boxes they have. that model is just an enlarged car/van than can go on dirt roads. I don't see it going up rocks and all

I massively prefer the pre facelift 996. Boxster clone or not, it has some sort of cohesion to it. The fried eggs lights of the facelift look just as much of an emergency touch up as they were.

I probably would have agreed with you 5 years ago, but I think the gen II lights (and the sharper front bumper) have aged much more gracefully. I'm in the market for 996 GT3 at the moment and and I've ruled out any gen I cars as they just look so much older blander than the gen II cars

View attachment 614032

The McLaren 12c is probably the most beautiful McLaren they've ever made. It looks so clean for a supercar.

Also, this portion of the 650s looks like some sort of bird rearing it's head. Also, the white jutting in to the headlight makes this specific McLaren quite an ugly one IMHO.

View attachment 614033

I felt exactly the same way when they released the 650s, seemed like they made a half-assed attempt to copy and paste the P1 front end on the 12C, but I have to say (like the 996 911), the design has really grown on me and I think the original 12C looks quite bland now in comparison. Seeing one in the flesh helps, as the angles can be sometimes be conflicting in photos.

I think in general, cars that are immediately pleasing to the eye (or my eye at least) seem not to age as well. The Nissan GTR is a classic example - I though it looked awful when it was first released, but 10 years later (and with only minor styling updates) it's still one of the toughest, most modern looking cars on the road.

I actually prefer the pre-facelift FD front end to the newer restyle.
jdmsc8.png

I actually prefer the pre-facelift FD front end to the newer restyle.
jdmsc8.png

I'm sort of the same, but where I feel like the pre-facelift fits better stock, but the post looks better modified with an aggressive lip or something. Too angular for the stock lines IMO.

Speaking of kei cars, the whole 64hp limit thing needs a revision as they get ever heavier each generation. Then again I doubt most really are following the rule 100% when they seem to be ever faster despite the weight.
Lucky them. My 1L(989cc NA) has about 50+HP. At 700kg, it is more than enough to propel me at 110kmh on a 2000km round trip from Newcastle to Melbourne and back.
I think once turbos come into place anywhere outside of Japan(where the market isn't flooded with kei cars), the price starts rising into bigger car territory.

Plus, it's all about swat of the pants feel. Some people need power. Some, just like the joy of steering an automobile. Most peotrol heads I know, can't believe how much space it has. Some can't believe how peppy it is around town as well(Aircon on and 4 adults).

People's perceptions come into it. I remember growing up hearing adults calling Pintos, Rabbits(Golf), 1st Gen Civics, Corollas, 510s"deathtrap". If USA automakers made an agreement where they each had to make under 1000cc cars, make them a certain size & weight class for city dwellers, might be a different story today.
Rebadged/branded cars confuse the 🤬 out of me. I feel like some of them provide unnecessary contribution to the auto world.
Example?

Something like the F-body Camaro & Firebird? Mustang/Capri? Geo Storm/Isuzu Impulse? Toyota Camry/Holden Apollo? Or cars like the Alfa-Viper thing?

Rebadged/branded cars confuse the 🤬 out of me. I feel like some of them provide unnecessary contribution to the auto world.
There's a few reasons for doing so:
-provide assets to another company in exchange for something such as an engine/drivetrain
-provide a vehicle class that another company may not normally build
-shared platform
-simply used under different brands in different countries
-and of course, simple brand padding within a larger company

Lucky them. My 1L(989cc NA) has about 50+HP. At 700kg, it is more than enough to propel me at 110kmh on a 2000km round trip from Newcastle to Melbourne and back.
I think once turbos come into place anywhere outside of Japan(where the market isn't flooded with kei cars), the price starts rising into bigger car territory.

Plus, it's all about swat of the pants feel. Some people need power. Some, just like the joy of steering an automobile. Most peotrol heads I know, can't believe how much space it has. Some can't believe how peppy it is around town as well(Aircon on and 4 adults).

People's perceptions come into it. I remember growing up hearing adults calling Pintos, Rabbits(Golf), 1st Gen Civics, Corollas, 510s"deathtrap". If USA automakers made an agreement where they each had to make under 1000cc cars, make them a certain size & weight class for city dwellers, might be a different story today.

Here in the 'States small cars do get looked at as unsafe by the vast majority of people. What is interesting to me is how much different a journey feels depending on what I am driving.

Whenever I drive the Fiestas I notice drivers being more aggressive around it, maybe it's just that ingrained vulnerability doctrine people believe here. Not that I care though, they can hold their own with most of the traffic I encounter, or leave menacing, tailgating diesel 2500s far behind in the corners when they start trying to push the little guy around.

Here in the 'States small cars do get looked at as unsafe by the vast majority of people. What is interesting to me is how much different a journey feels depending on what I am driving.

Whenever I drive the Fiestas I notice drivers being more aggressive around it, maybe it's just that ingrained vulnerability doctrine people believe here. Not that I care though, they can hold their own with most of the traffic I encounter, or leave menacing, tailgating diesel 2500s far behind in the corners when they start trying to push the little guy around.
Any small car I have driven, always have drivers trying get past as quick a possible. I stay out of the passing lane on freeways unless I do pass slower traffic.

I definitely had people criss crossing me on NY Interstates, even while I was going with traffic flow(80mph at times!) In the middle lane mind you.

Unpopular opinion- the XV10 and XV20 generations of the Camry were pretty good cars for their time. I bet some of you think I'm crazy for saying that the most infamous vehicle of GTP isn't bad, which is why I will go into in-depth explanation.

The XV10 generation, which hit the market in 1992 for the US, was an arguably better buy than the Accord, substantially better than the Taurus, yet light years ahead of anything GM cranked out in the mid-size segment. Styling was much more aerodynamic than it's predecessor, and it was a much longer wider car as well. Even though it was not aimed towards the luxury market (that was the ES), the exterior looked more "premium" than other midsize sedans. Material quality was above average, as was reliability. Powertrain wise, the meme-tastic 2.2 was standard, and V6s were optional. The V6 made just shy of 200 horsepower, which was respectable for its time. Sales wise, it had proven to be a success, mainly due to its handsome styling and good value.

Five years after the XV10's debut came the XV20. By 1997, GM still hadn't found its direction for midsize sedans, the Ford Taurus became funky looking, yet the Accord had became more competitive, reflecting off of the XV10's success. XV20 had become a much more conservatively designed car; curvy, aerodynamic looks were replaced by plainer styling, and wagons as well as coupes, were dropped. It was like a Japanese version of a Buick Century, in a way. Styling was still better than other midsize offerings, though, but basically, Toyota had transformed the Camry into a less exciting, and more budget-friendly car. However, this was not a "cheap" car; though inexpensive, the material quality remained above par. Buyers who wanted a car similar to the XV10, a more premium car, would opt for the Collector's Edition (pictured below), which had a slightly restyled exterior, and more options. It was basically a livelier version of the Lexus ES. Despite the XV20 being blander than it's predecessor, sales were much higher than they were before, at an average of 350,000 per year; high enough to pass the Ford Taurus.

The reality is, the XV10 and XV20 Camrys were unexciting cars that didn't show even the slightest pretense of performance. However, they definitely stood out amongst other midsize sedans, with exceptional reliability, good build quality, innovation, and competitive pricing.

Last edited:
In 1994 my mom traded her 1990 Mazda 929S for a black '94 Camry XLE V6. I won't say where, or when, but the car was capable of 140mph indicated, (136mph per Car&Driver) which impressed me back then...

@WeThePeople , struggling to see how that's an unpopular opinion or how those two generations of Camry are the most "infamous" among GTP.

Pretty sure it's common knowledge that almost all Camrys are great cars to own but mostly boring as bat droppings to drive.

The R is about as raw and pure as a car can be these days. But, other than that sweet engine I can't really say I would want it over a standard 991 7 speed as a car to live with everyday. As a track toy the appeal is undeniable, but there are other more focused track monsters more affordable.

A wonderful machine I want to love, but can't really justify why I should....

Without Gran Turismo 3, Pagani would have remained in obscurity for quite some time.

GT3, in my opinion, put the brand on the map. A Zonda C12 and a Zonda C12 S 6.0 were in GT3, and it was probably added due to the demand of having an Italian supercar in Gran Turismo. I didn't think Polyphony disappointed with having this young make at the time in a driving simulator that has sold millions of copies, despite not being the Ferrari/Lamborghini that the vocal minority wanted.

Then came the domino effect. A Zonda C12 was in Forza Motorsport and Project Gotham Racing 3, both from Microsoft, then the Zonda F came before Need For Speed's eye, then the track-exclusive Zonda R makes a record Nurburgring lap, and Pagani blasted off from there. And I think it's all thanks to GT3.

Last edited:
You think people comfortable with spending hundreds of thousands - or millions - on a new car were only prompted to spend such sums because they saw a car in a videogame?

I think you might be overstating GT's importance for that car, somewhat. Was GT responsible for the global recognition and popularity of Skylines, Supras and the like? Almost certainly. Did it specifically raise TVR's profile in the American market? Definitely. Did it form the basis for survival for a company that operates at the very ceiling of the supercar market? Err... probably not.

Good point, HFS. I edited my opening statement to be more accurate, in this case Pagani would have remained obscure for quite some time. I still stand that GT3 was responsible for where Pagani is today. If GT3 didn't sell as well as it did, or if GT3 didn't have Pagani at all, it might have been a few years before Horacio could get the word out about his cars. The soonest I think it would have been possible would have been the Zonda R because Nurburgring lap times went mainstream with the GT-R.

@boiltheocean - While Koenigsegg isn't in Gran Turismo, I know that other games contributed to Koenigsegg's overall publicity and popularity nearly ten years ago. If it weren't for videogames, I think Koenigsegg's recent chase for numbers would have helped because it was the reason the Bugatti Veyron went big, and the Veyron didn't need any assistance via a game to get the word out.

Speaking of numbers, I'm still wondering if the Agera R, One:1, or Regera's engines have as much power as Koenigsegg claims or if the cars can go as fast or as quick or stop as quick as Koenigsegg claims.

Games might show supercars to new audiences, but almost all of those people won't be buying any of those cars as the majority are children.

Speaking of numbers, I'm still wondering if the Agera R, One:1, or Regera's engines have as much power as Koenigsegg claims or if the cars can go as fast or as quick or stop as quick as Koenigsegg claims.

and if the music is annoying

the XV10 Camry...
...pretty good cars for their time.

This isn't an unpopular opinion; the XV10 is considered to be the best-built Camry ever. It was overengineered compared to its competition and was a very high-quality car overall. The XV20 is negatively recognized for being a cost-cut car, but a lot of those price savings came from simplifying the car itself.

Back