• 26 comments

Danoff

Premium
United States
Mile High City
Here are the rules:

unpopular_opinions.png

Did I do it right?

I've written near-breathless praise for this gem, and I'm prepared to do it again.

Alright I'll go.

Intolerable Cruelty (2003), rated at 48% by the audience.
Dukes of Hazzard (2005), rated at 14% by critics.
Bedazzled (2000), rated at 49% by the critics.

Didn't even know it was a remake. The original looks... interesting...
The Ramis version is very similar but at the same time very different; "remake" might not be quite the right word, but then I don't know what would be. It's much lighter. It does offer numerous nods to the original, though.

I will say that the trailer I just watched isn't a good representation of the movie.

It's been a few months since anyone has posted here, but I actually have my own unpopular positive opinions to share.

1. I liked both of the live action Scooby Doo movies, both rated under 50% on Rotten Tomatoes.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1112357_scoobydoo
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/scooby_doo_2_monsters_unleashed

2. As I said once in another thread, I didn't think Terminator Genisys wasn't too bad of a movie. In spite of what critics say (27% critic rating).

3. Like the OP, I liked the 2005 "Dukes of Hazzard" movie.

4. I thought Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Men Tell No Tales was a fun movie to watch and still had some of that fun humor I liked from the previous movies (30% critic rating on rotten tomatoes).

I really love Terminator Salvation (2009): 33% on Rotten Tomatoes.

- Christian Bale: check
- Michael Ironside: check
- Dark representation of the Future War: check
- Large variety of machines, all equally gruesome: check
- Human skin factories/deathcamps: check

Most underrated in the series IMO. Then again, I really like movies that are dark.

Pixels
46% by audience on Rotten Tomatoes
I haven't watched it since my initial viewing in the theaters, but I thought it was pretty good! I should probably dust off my Blu Ray and watch it again.

Star Wars The Clone Wars
39% by the audience on Rotten Tomatoes
While it was an unusual direction at the time of its release, I didn't think it was a bad one, certainly not as bad as it's made out to be. Although I haven't watched this movie in years, I did watch it plenty when I had it recorded to my DVR and now that I have Disney+, I am considering watching it a few times again.

Suicide Squad
27% by critics on Rotten Tomatoes
I haven't seen this one since my initial viewing either, but I actually liked it right much when nobody else did and the hate it received made little sense to me at the time. I can't say much more than that since I haven't seen it since it was in theaters though, but I could certainly watch it again.

Suicide Squad
I started watching it right after it was released on Blu-ray, made it halfway through, turned it off and have never finished it.

- - - - -

Three Amigos! - 46%
Is it good? Not particularly. Does it have a plethora of pinatas one-liners? Si, El Guapo. Would I watch it if I happened to come across it while channel surfing back in the day? Absolutely.

Tommy Boy - 42%
Is it good? Not particularly. Does it have a plethora bunch of repeatable pinatas lines? Yes. Would I watch it if I happened to come across it while channel surfing back in the day? Absolutely.

Tango & Cash - 30%
FUBAR. Big time. An 80's action movie, which I'm a sucker for, anyway, with Stallone an Russell? And Teri Hatcher? AND Jack Palance? Sign me the hell up.

Encino Man - 15%
Is it good? Not particularly. Does it have a plethora bunch of repeatable pinatas lines? Yes. Would I watch it if I happened to come across it while channel surfing back in the day? Absolutely, buuudy. Hell, I bought it not too long ago!

TB
I started watching it right after it was released on Blu-ray, made it halfway through, turned it off and have never finished it.
I had a similar experience with Alvin and the Chipmunks when I tried to watch it on DVD years ago. I am sure others have felt the same way about Suicide Squad as well, but truth be told, I actually liked it better than Batman vs. Superman.

Don't quote me on that though, I haven't watched any of them in years and I have a feeling my opinion could change upon watching each of them again.

Hard Target - 49%, John Woo's first big screen outing having moved from Hong Kong cinema to America... bit of Jean-Claude van DAMAGE... and some classic Woo action sequences... plus, Lance Henrikson as a bad guy... and the guy who played the Mummy as a henchman... I think it's great.

It fairs better than Blackjack - 28%, Dolph Lundgren in a John Woo film... again some great sequences... classic American era straight to video John Woo.

Broken Arrow - 44%, John Woo.. Travolta, Slater.. nukes..

and we can't forget about my favourite Mission: Impossible film... 2! 43% The second installment is genuinely better than most of what followed IMHO... again by the Woo-meister.

... and since I don't just watch John Woo films ...

Joe's Apartment - 42% MTV Cockroach musical. Lots of fun.

and Flight of the intruder is at 50%...

Speed Racer 2008, 40% on Rotten Tomatoes. I loved it. I thought it was a near pitch perfect live action adaptation of Tatsunoko Pro's classic anime. It had all the fun, action and silliness of the original. Never underestimate the Wachowskis.

Speed Racer 2008, 40% on Rotten Tomatoes. I loved it. I thought it was a near pitch perfect live action adaptation of Tatsunoko Pro's classic anime. It had all the fun, action and silliness of the original. Never underestimate the Wachowskis.
I honestly wished that movie did better sales wise, I would've loved to see a sequel.

There is an accepted canon for the Star Trek films that for the first eight films, they alternate being bad, then being good.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan
Star Trek III: The Search For Spock
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek Generations
Star Trek: First Contact

It doesn't match the Rotten Tomatoes threshold (80% critics, 61% audience) but Star Trek III isn't terrible. It's not amazing but... it's not terrible. A perfectly watchable Trek film.

Saw it recently. I don't know the original. The monkey was out of place at the start but towards the end you got used to it and it kind of made some sense having that freaking monkey there.

Everything else.... yeah. The visusal was very cartoony which made a lot of sense for sure and yeah, made it good for sure.

I like it and enjoyed it. Only issue was the spoilery bit of the bigger brother actually coming back, it was handled badly, but how do you deal with that? Super hard.

Christina Ricci.... Not being weird, but man, I always get surprised how I react well to her. She has the ability when she needs to, to look just "interested" in the person she is talking to, which you can actually see and kind of put yourself in that position. It was something I did notice a little.

By the way, Harley Quinn movie?

Passable, lots of colour and that helped a lot. Made it way more cartoony and it actually kinda helped for sure.

Was a bit weird towards the end when it came to the girls fighting against meatheads and it just didn't quite look right, but whatever. CARTOON is the way forward and I was able to go with the flow of it.

Harley Quinn is certainly an interesting character, if they went way way darker and had slightly more realistic tones for it. Mind you, would be super depressing, but yeah, would have been definitely interesting going that way

I have a bone to pick with you, @Danoff.

I like DMB.

:grumpy:

I don't like everything, but that is very much in my wheelhouse. It was really working for me in my mid-20s. This is back when MTV showed videos, and the one for "Crash Into Me" was just otherworldly. Gorgeous sounds and visuals, just don't listen to the lyrics too closely.

I like DMB.

:grumpy:

I don't like everything, but that is very much in my wheelhouse. It was really working for me in my mid-20s. This is back when MTV showed videos, and the one for "Crash Into Me" was just otherworldly. Gorgeous sounds and visuals, just don't listen to the lyrics too closely.
I have to agree. And while we're at it, I will admit I love John Mayer's first two albums. I like the rest of his music, too, but those first two albums... wow.

I have to agree. And while we're at it, I will admit I love John Mayer's first two albums. I like the rest of his music, too, but those first two albums... wow.
I couldn't get into John Mayer. I tried. Actually I mainly tried because I was attempting to find a song I knew to be his, that just reminded me so much of Ray Charles. I never found it. He also had one I liked in which I think he was speaking to a younger version of himself. He's spectacularly talented and I appreciate his talent, but it just didn't do it for me.

I think my appreciation for DMB is a product of that time in my life.

I couldn't get into John Mayer. I tried. Actually I mainly tried because I was attempting to find a song I knew to be his, that just reminded me so much of Ray Charles. I never found it. He also had one I liked in which I think he was speaking to a younger version of himself. He's spectacularly talented and I appreciate his talent, but it just didn't do it for me.

I think my appreciation for DMB is a product of that time in my life.
Fair enough. The great thing about opinions is they don't all have to be the same.

The only one I can think of is a couple of years outside the threshold.

Baseketball (1998) has 43% on Rotten Tomatoes. I can see the arguments against it, it's not particularly inspired, and takes a pretty lazy route through its plot as a sports movie parody, but I always thought the concept was hilarious, and I loved the ridiculous realisation of the big stadium with Reel Big Fish (which REALLY dates this movie to its era) playing above the stands, for a team literally named "Beers".

I've watched it quite a few times and it puts a smile on my face still.

The Expendables - 42% on the tomatometer
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - 45% on the tomatometer, 48% by the audience (I think this eliminates based on #2)
Fast & Furious: Tokyo Drift - 37% on the tomatometer (A possible elimination, though I think I would enjoy both of these still)

Back