Update sucks

• Thread starter MrDuck1234
  • 385 comments
In my honest opinion, I feel as though the update is better. While the tires do have more grip, it is not impossible to oversteer or understeer. It still possible to spin a high or even lower powered RWD vehicle if your not careful.

After having reviewed the video panja post, I must disagree about the results of that experiment. First, I saw that you said she had three laps practice, which we have no idea of what those looked like. Second, you said she had some limited play time on GT4 and enjoyed it. Most people who actually enjoy playing a GT game are going to more careful than a person who just plays it because they like the cars featured. I have friends that make that quite apparent. Third, I know you said you told her to take it easy and she took it very easy. Most corners she was well below the limit for them and had plenty of time for smooth, minor corrections. In addition, touching the wall can stabilize a car, if the driver does not panic. Last, just because someone is 12 years old does not mean they should automatically crash a car. Back when I was 12 (1999), I had been watching how my parents and others drove and pick up on the inputs used to properly drive a car. Plus I had been playing the GT1 & 2, and was pretty fast without hitting walls. The point is, that there are some 12 year olds that can probably drive better than quite a few of those with their license on the roads now. I'm not sure if your daughter has some kind of interest in cars, though from the way she was driving I think she might, but that could also lead to some better driving.

The main point I would like to make is that GT5:P is still a simulation racing game and now that the grip levels are more realistic, the real pros can take advantage of the increased grip and focus on going even faster. Don't complain because a few more people can just keep their car on the road. Almost anyone can drive, few can drive well, and even fewer can drive fast well.

The main point I would like to make is that GT5:P is still a simulation racing game and now that the grip levels are more realistic, the real pros can take advantage of the increased grip and focus on going even faster. Don't complain because a few more people can just keep their car on the road. Almost anyone can drive, few can drive well, and even fewer can drive fast well.

👍

No, all I did was tell her not to bother trying to win the race :-)

Now, obviously, as I mentioned in the video, she did play a little GT4 (using the DFP however, not the G25). But not much, and she wasn't great except in very slow / low powered cars. I have to admit I was very proud when she started feathering the throttle all on her own. She was even getting a little counter-steering action going there. I think I'll get her into Autocross as soon as she's old enough.

But all of that aside. Obviously you can't call GT5P a SIM anymore, because there is simply no way any child could get into a real Ford GT, and, having never driven a real car suddenly enter a bend at over 140 miles per hour and survive the experience. This is clear proof that the new physics absolutely can't be realistic. This is clear proof that this can no longer be considered a SIM.

A competent 12 year old driver is nothing exceptional, in the UK theres a touring car series for 14+ year olds, full on racing, not just cruising around. A 16 year old drove a 650bhp LMP1 Zytek in the Silverstone Le Mans Series event and raced in the top six.

Put any competent driver in a road, even race car, ask them to lap 15-20 seconds below it's capability, and most could, just as they could top 200mph in a Supercar, the challenge is getting the most out of any given car.

I've always compared GT to PC sims, I can pick mods that are easier to drive, some that are more difficult, the difficulty stems from car and tyre type, rarely are the physics completely messed up. At worst, if you deem PD's tyre grip to be out, choose a tyre a level or two lower than they recommend, your own sweet spot is catered for, everything from driving on ice to glued to the track.

Last edited:
I own a modded S2000

Get a pic of it up in the members' directory, I like S2ks 👍

As for the realism thing, where do you draw the line at "sim"? Panjandrum, you let your daughter loose in the Ford GT on GT5P and she could handle it, but what's to say she'd suddenly not have a clue if you stuck her in front of Live For Speed, or RACE 07, or Grand Prix Legends, or other such "accepted" sims?

However good a "simulation" a game is, it's still not the real thing. However realistic the sim is it's still much, much easier than getting to grips with a real car. For one thing, confidence in a game isn't an issue. You don't have constantly in the back of your mind "if I do this am I going to spin and stack it in the barrier?". Your daughter was just appreciating GT5 as a game, where she couldn't get hurt, everything was controlled by wires and being played into a TV screen.

Put her in a real Ford GT and she might be able to drive it with a bit of instruction, but for her to even reach 5/10ths of it's capabilities might be a tall order. It's a scary car to drive. It doesn't mean that just because it isn't scary in GT that GT isn't a sim 👍

Scaff, where are you? Get over here and let us know what *you* think about the new physics!

I've been continuing to drive it quite a bit, and I think it boils down to a single fundamental issue, which is this:

How hard is it to drive these cars fast in real life? I honestly believe that many of you are vastly under-estimating the difficulty. In which case the new physics aren't very realistic. Even with a little GT4 driving experience, there is no way in hell my daughter could climb into a Ford GT and take it around a corner at 140 miles per hour. Period. It just could not be done. She might be able to drive the car safely, in an open parking lot, at 20 miles per hour (maybe). She should never have been able to do laps that clean in that car in a racing sim set to "pro" with all the driving aids off.

I've also driven (and watched) autocross enough now to know that there is no way in hades you could ever take a mid-engine car like the Ferrari 430, head down a straight, and then start oscillating the wheel left and right and left and right and left and... The weight balance would spin the car. But I was out driving online earlier in the special 3-car challenge and I can do that with zero problems in GT5P now. Even at low-speed events like an autocross, you'll see sometimes see the slalom (which requires moves like that) throw throw off FF cars if it isn't managed correctly. And boy do you see the Porsches have trouble in the slalom if the driver isn't very darn good. And many of these cars are on special autocross tires which are very sticky. Driving fast is simply not as easy as many of you think it is. The one post (lost up above somewhere on a previous page) made by someone who actually drives high-performance cars fast (for a motoring magazine?) agreed that the original physics were more realistic.

It's also just not nearly as exciting for me. Without the challenge of learning the control the car itself it just doesn't have the same level of thrill. I mean, it use to get my heart pounding and my palms sweating. Get into a corner a little too hot or hit the brakes at the wrong moment and you were seriously worried that you were about to wreck. Now it is just kind of a "oh well, nothing bad will happen" feeling...

Something really is wrong here. I realize that, being easier, is has become more fun for many of you. But for those of us who want the challenge of a "real driving simulator", the fact that Pro mode has essentially vanished is very sad... Why they couldn't have just kept a true simulation mode is beyond my understanding, since everyone would probably still be perfectly happy if they had done so.

Last edited:
^^You complain about realism...yet you use ABS and the Racing line for online racing?

And this quote:
"Even with a little GT4 driving experience, there is no way in hell my daughter could climb into a Ford GT and take it around a corner at 140 miles per hour. Period. It just could not be done. She might be able to drive the car safely, in an open parking lot, at 20 miles per hour (maybe). She should never have been able to do laps that clean in that car in a racing sim set to "pro" with all the driving aids off."

the only time she did 140mph round the corner was on the first corner of HSR. Which is a fast corner, banked corner, and she only held 140ish for the first part before it tightened up. All the driving aids off? I believe it was set to ABS1 and Racing Line = On. She would not have driven clean with those two items off. Although...at those speeds she may have, considering how slow she was going. At points she wasnt full throttle, and never put the power down before the car was straight, she's very well practiced at patience obviously, and she has the basics of an MR car mastered. Those 3 practice laps she done previous were very very long laps wernt they? :D but that kind of driving i have little doubt, with those aids on, could have been done before the update. Why do i think that? Because 99% of the time where the car started to slip, the brakes were put on, the ABS was saving her, and although TC was off, i noticed the settings for the GT were default, the gearing by default is very very long and in any gear above 2 would have been like having TC, especially with the way she controlled the throttle. Why dont you delete the GT5P data on the HDD and do the experiment before they changed the physics? I'd be interested in seeing that.

Last edited:
(...)

Something really is wrong here. I realize that, being easier, is has become more fun for many of you. But for those of us who want the challenge of a "real driving simulator", the fact that Pro mode has essentially vanished is very sad... Why they couldn't have just kept a true simulation mode is beyond my understanding, since everyone would probably still be perfectly happy if that had done so.

Before I get started here panjandrum, I'll just say I respect your GT skills and your opinion. I obviously disagree with it, but I respect it.

I won't debate you about true life autocross and motorsports, as I have never driven in them. However, I will take issue with this last paragraph.

I don't think there's any way for us to know how accurate the pre-update Pro mode was. In order to do that, we would have to drive a real car with the exact setups and tire types that are in GT5:P. The cars that some complain are now too "easy" (Ford GT LM, Ferrari F430, Dodge Viper, to name a few) are rare, expensive cars that very few people have driven. The Ford GT LM, along with the other Concept by GT cars, don't actually exist. How can we know that these cars are now "too easy" or "too hard" if we haven't ever driven them with Sports or Racing tires on a racing circuit? Doubtlessly at least one person here *has* driven a Ford GT or an F430, but the majority of those who complain that they're "too easy" have never driven one.

"Perfectly happy"? I doubt it. Many, many people (both here and in other online forums) complained about how hard GT5:P physics and events were. If everyone was perfectly happy, then why would Polyphony decide to change the physics? Just to make everyone angry? They calculated that the tire physics were wrong, so they improved them. They obviously weren't happy with the physics, and because it's their game, they made the changes they thought were needed. It's not about making everybody happy; it's about making the most accurate and true-to-life game possible. That's been Kaz's stated goal for the GT series, and I'd doubt he'd move away from his goal just to pander to a bigger audience. If Polyphony does do that, I'd be disappointed, because they would be selling out. The "real driving simulator" you lament isn't gone, it's been made more realistic. If making the tires and physics easier means they're closer to reality, then so be it.

Yet you've still brought nothing constructive to this thread except your oversized ego which I'm eager to meet on the track.

And you've brought nothing to this thread but foul language and arrogant, child like idiocy.

EDIT: As far as my "oversized ego" is concerned - I have at no stage in this thread, proclaimed to be a super Gran Turismo racing god.
Climb off your high horse and chill out, and I may even remove you from my PM banned list , provided I don't receive anymore foul mouthed insults from you.

Last edited:
I think the "difficulty" of a real driving (fast on track) is different from the "difficulty" of sim racing. The nature of the whole process is so different in these so different situations, that I think this is a question of what are you looking for. I'm not sure if it is possible to make such a sim that gives the same difficulty at the same areas as driving in real life does.

So, in my opinion, the pre update might have been closer to the "real" thing as far as the overall "DIFFICULTY" goes, but might have not simulated the behaviour of cars in real life very accurately (the ice skating etc.). Now after the update, the cars are a bit easier to handle and they act more like in real life (methinks :)). This has taken away a bit of the overall "difficulty" of handling those cars. This has not taken away the difficulty of driving these cars fast. As I've posted earlier, if you feel it's too easy, just drive faster. I'm sure you'll find the difficulty there.

Now the scariness that is provided in real life by other factors can no longer be felt.. at least not so good. It used to be the fear of losing it in every brake zone or corner exit that gave us the "fear factor" that is in real life provided by the fact that we might get hurt or at least a huge bill. Now we can relax a bit more and suddenly the thrill has gone for some of us. This is at least the case for me. I still love it and think that the handling physics has taken a step forward, but now we need a new way of getting the fear+adrenaline fix again. It just isn't the same anymore driving on the edge. It's not easy in anyway, but it lacks the thrill it used to have.

:)

I think the "difficulty" of a real driving (fast on track) is different from the "difficulty" of sim racing. The nature of the whole process is so different in these so different situations, that I think this is a question of what are you looking for. I'm not sure if it is possible to make such a sim that gives the same difficulty at the same areas as driving in real life does.

So, in my opinion, the pre update might have been closer to the "real" thing as far as the overall "DIFFICULTY" goes, but might have not simulated the behaviour of cars in real life very accurately (the ice skating etc.). Now after the update, the cars are a bit easier to handle and they act more like in real life (methinks :)). This has taken away a bit of the overall "difficulty" of handling those cars. This has not taken away the difficulty of driving these cars fast. As I've posted earlier, if you feel it's too easy, just drive faster. I'm sure you'll find the difficulty there.

Now the scariness that is provided in real life by other factors can no longer be felt.. at least not so good. It used to be the fear of losing it in every brake zone or corner exit that gave us the "fear factor" that is in real life provided by the fact that we might get hurt or at least a huge bill. Now we can relax a bit more and suddenly the thrill has gone for some of us. This is at least the case for me. I still love it and think that the handling physics has taken a step forward, but now we need a new way of getting the fear+adrenaline fix again. It just isn't the same anymore driving on the edge. It's not easy in anyway, but it lacks the thrill it used to have.

I agree almost completely. (It's still as thrilling for me. :D)

Yeap i agree too. Well said. I think that as GT5P/GTseries in general progresses, the thrill will come back as we have to manage more and more aspects of real life, from tire heat, pressures, degradation for a start, racing line, dirty track, green track, weather, following by component failures and general wear and tear. At the moment, for the online modes we have which are effectively 3 lap sprints, it wouldnt work. But down the track, longer races, pit stops etc, it would play a much more major role and bring the thrill back.

At least for an immediate fix, they could bring back 600pp Daytona Road/Suzuka on N2 tires and let us go for it! :D

EDIT: Although just thinking now, there was the thrill of the game before the update, taking the first corner at Suzuka above 160kmph in an F40 (600pp S2) and running through it and the next corner clean was a real rush. But the racing i was doing around Daytona Oval last night in the F40 at 600pp S2 was just as exciting i found. And i'm not a big fan of oval tracks, but nailing the first banked corner, rolling off it above 250kmph and drafting upwards of 320kmph is a rush, side by side around the banking...maybe its not the same as before, but the thrill is still there, for me personally, and i'm enjoying my F40 as much as i did before the update, even more so maybe as now i have a car that i enjoy that can be more competative through a race rather than hoping for an opponent to fall off the track to advance through the pack..

Last edited:
EDIT: Although just thinking now, there was the thrill of the game before the update, taking the first corner at Suzuka above 160kmph in an F40 (600pp S2) and running through it and the next corner clean was a real rush. But the racing i was doing around Daytona Oval last night in the F40 at 600pp S2 was just as exciting i found. And i'm not a big fan of oval tracks, but nailing the first banked corner, rolling off it above 250kmph and drafting upwards of 320kmph is a rush, side by side around the banking...maybe its not the same as before, but the thrill is still there, for me personally, and i'm enjoying my F40 as much as i did before the update, even more so maybe as now i have a car that i enjoy that can be more competative through a race rather than hoping for an opponent to fall off the track to advance through the pack..

I agree, thre thrill of mastering a car is always there as long as we can drive a car.. 👍 ..it's there for me too! But the extra flavour from the difficulty/fear -thing I described above has gone (not all of it though!).

my question is how could PD have gotten the physics SO wrong pre-update in the first place????? Could they have just rushed the physics calculations in an attempt to get GT5p out?????? Did they not spend enough time finesing them??????? Since March 2008 (when I purchased the game) till August, 6 months latter, they magically worked out the physics engine!!!!! Kudos to them! (that was ment to be sarcasm if u didnt work it out).Seriously if it is just a process of changing all the tyres to that in the manual (everyones sayin N spec) and the physics will be the same, then so be it (i prefer racin stockies anyway) but give us fsome events online PLEASE PD.

Yeap i agree too. Well said. I think that as GT5P/GTseries in general progresses, the thrill will come back as we have to manage more and more aspects of real life, from tire heat, pressures, degradation for a start, racing line, dirty track, green track, weather, following by component failures and general wear and tear. At the moment, for the online modes we have which are effectively 3 lap sprints, it wouldnt work. But down the track, longer races, pit stops etc, it would play a much more major role and bring the thrill back.

That's the main difference between many PC sims (rFactor, race07, GTR2...) and GT5P. We in GRC have races that can be anything from 20, 40 and 90 minutes long with 75%-100% damages. And we have to pit at least one time to fill up some fuel. And use pit strategies to gain those few seconds that we need to win. I even raced a few 24H races online. If PD can implement most of those things the trill will be back. Spot on lion-face!

That's the main difference between many PC sims (rFactor, race07, GTR2...) and GT5P. We in GRC have races that can be anything from 20, 40 and 90 minutes long with 75%-100% damages. And we have to pit at least one time to fill up some fuel. And use pit strategies to gain those few seconds that we need to win. I even raced a few 24H races online. If PD can implement most of those things the trill will be back. Spot on lion-face!

👍 👍

..sorry, I should have commented that part too. I agree!! But I have faith, we'll get there. We just go the long winding (read "slow") road with PD...

Even with a little GT4 driving experience, there is no way in hell my daughter could climb into a Ford GT and take it around a corner at 140 miles per hour. Period. It just could not be done.
And the question is:
Do you really think that someone with a vastly hardcore sim experience can do it?

About the vid:

I think the biggest dissapointment about the update is the fact that its just an update!
Fact is, the tracks and cars have gotten boring - I've resorted to playing GT4 which offers enough tracks and vehicle mods to make GT the legend that it is. Without the high volume of cars and tracks to choose from, Prologue will collect dust, no matter how accurate the physics become from the updates.

Where is GT5???:indiff:

:) we are so different, I guess. The pure pleasure of just driving, say f430 / nsx, is enough to keep me entertained for years... But I wouldn't mind more of everything, of course.

Scaff, where are you? Get over here and let us know what *you* think about the new physics!

I've been continuing to drive it quite a bit, and I think it boils down to a single fundamental issue, which is this:

How hard is it to drive these cars fast in real life? I honestly believe that many of you are vastly under-estimating the difficulty. In which case the new physics aren't very realistic. Even with a little GT4 driving experience, there is no way in hell my daughter could climb into a Ford GT and take it around a corner at 140 miles per hour. Period. It just could not be done. She might be able to drive the car safely, in an open parking lot, at 20 miles per hour (maybe). She should never have been able to do laps that clean in that car in a racing sim set to "pro" with all the driving aids off.

I've also driven (and watched) autocross enough now to know that there is no way in hades you could ever take a mid-engine car like the Ferrari 430, head down a straight, and then start oscillating the wheel left and right and left and right and left and... The weight balance would spin the car. But I was out driving online earlier in the special 3-car challenge and I can do that with zero problems in GT5P now. Even at low-speed events like an autocross, you'll see sometimes see the slalom (which requires moves like that) throw throw off FF cars if it isn't managed correctly. And boy do you see the Porsches have trouble in the slalom if the driver isn't very darn good. And many of these cars are on special autocross tires which are very sticky. Driving fast is simply not as easy as many of you think it is. The one post (lost up above somewhere on a previous page) made by someone who actually drives high-performance cars fast (for a motoring magazine?) agreed that the original physics were more realistic.

It's also just not nearly as exciting for me. Without the challenge of learning the control the car itself it just doesn't have the same level of thrill. I mean, it use to get my heart pounding and my palms sweating. Get into a corner a little too hot or hit the brakes at the wrong moment and you were seriously worried that you were about to wreck. Now it is just kind of a "oh well, nothing bad will happen" feeling...

Something really is wrong here. I realize that, being easier, is has become more fun for many of you. But for those of us who want the challenge of a "real driving simulator", the fact that Pro mode has essentially vanished is very sad... Why they couldn't have just kept a true simulation mode is beyond my understanding, since everyone would probably still be perfectly happy if that had done so.

How many corners in the real world can you corner at 140mph, to corner at such a speed in a Ford GT suggests it's hardly worthy of the name 'corner'.

The Ford GT is a roadcar, anyone can jump in and drive at high speeds, thats what it is designed to do, the difficulty is pushing it to the limits. This isn't a 40 year old GT40 racecar, it's a state of the art everyday driver designed for middle-aged business men and lottery winners.

my question is how could PD have gotten the physics SO wrong pre-update in the first place????? Could they have just rushed the physics calculations in an attempt to get GT5p out?????? Did they not spend enough time finesing them??????? Since March 2008 (when I purchased the game) till August, 6 months latter, they magically worked out the physics engine!!!!! Kudos to them! (that was ment to be sarcasm if u didnt work it out).Seriously if it is just a process of changing all the tyres to that in the manual (everyones sayin N spec) and the physics will be the same, then so be it (i prefer racin stockies anyway) but give us fsome events online PLEASE PD.

It's very small percentages, every mod in rfactor, even with similar cars, feels different, one F1 mod will be 2 seconds quicker per lap than another, yet both considered realistic.

Even in real life, some race cars have gained 4+ seconds in 2 years, i.e. the Porsche RS Spyder, thanks to tyre and aero improvements. Can you imagine the fuss kicked up if PD released an update in 18 months time reflecting these real life improvements, and everyone's best laptimes were cut by 4 seconds per lap. Similarly Peugeots fastest lap at Le Mans this year was a full 8 seconds quicker than last year, I'm convinced many would say that rate of progress was impossible if applied to a game.

Before I get started here panjandrum, I'll just say I respect your GT skills and your opinion. I obviously disagree with it, but I respect it.

Thanks, I appreciate that. And, I wanted to say that this thread has been one of the most respectful and mature arguments I've seen here on GTP. It is very nice that (for the most part) this thread hasn't degenerated into the petty insults as I've so often seen.

It isn't as if I'll stop driving GT5P, but I will continue to hope that the next update will make thing more difficult again. I suppose it is possible that those of us here who liked the previous revision enjoy the thrill of being challenged to drive the cars properly so much that we have a hard time understanding that many of you simply want to drive fast (although, I still would argue that a true two-physics model should be the way to take care of this).

The thing is, I'm not as fast as some of the fastest drivers here. Sometimes, in a very good race, yes I'm quite fast. I win races often enough to know I'm at least a reasonably good driver, and (when I don't get punted) if I'm not winning I'm often taking 2nd or 3rd. But there are racers here, like drama_Kyd, who I've simply never beaten. It used to be there was still a real sense of accomplishment in knowing that, even when I lost, I had done a good job if I had been reasonably competitive and driven the car smoothly and well. I've got a vid up on my YouTube site of taking a silver behind drama-Kyd, but I felt just as good as if I had gotten a gold. I ran a good clean race and drove the car well (and that was VERY difficult). Now, even when I get the gold, I don't feel much sense of accomplishment because I just don't feel I had to work for it.

And I admit that in GT4 I was one of those guys choosing to drive the Yellowbird and the Alpine 1600s and the Ford GT and the AC Cobra - the hard to drive cars. I could drive a Vanquish around the Nurburgring all day and never get much sense of accomplishment because it was just too easy. But getting the Yellowbird around the ring a few times cleanly WAS an accomplishment because it was such a challenge to manage that brutal yet graceful rear-engined machine.

Last edited:
And you've brought nothing to this thread but foul language and arrogant, child like idiocy.

EDIT: As far as my "oversized ego" is concerned - I have at no stage in this thread, proclaimed to be a super Gran Turismo racing god.
Climb off your high horse and chill out, and I may even remove you from my PM banned list , provided I don't receive anymore foul mouthed insults from you.

Listen, I could care less about your continuous bragging and swinging insults in the dark but the fact that you won't acknowledge that I brought proper material to this thread, which people discussed and agreed on while you simply threw a vague opinion in what was at the time a solid, insult free, debate shows who you really are. You fell right into the trap.

end useless answer to GT_fanatic/

/open solid argument

I think the problem with this whole update was that people totally forgot there was an offline mode where you could actually pick and choose the car and tires according to your desire. PD force fed us online events that were unfortunately way off the map post-update in terms of realistic handling. Before the update, we had a 600PP Suzuka S1 tire race, I myself thought they would keep this race as pre-update the grip was ridiculously low but post-update it would have been perfect for this kind of racing.

I can understand the feelings and opinions of those who claim this update sucks, however I would like to invite you all to try an OFFLINE race on Suzuka with a Ford GT on N3 tires at AI 76 - 80. It's incredible fun. Put it at 10 laps minimum, you'll need it! PD brought us great stuff in this update, developped sound effects, new tire physics, you name it, it's great. However in typical PD fashion they totally forgot to change the online mode in consequence. They did put the following disclaimer when selecting your tires : "Your car comes equipped as standard with VERY high grip tires, for a realistic experience we recommend you to lower the tire grip according to our manual"

Until PD updates the online events, it comes down to YOU to make your gaming experience fun and worthwhile by simply trying out new combos of cars and tires. I'll be honest I NEVER touched Nx tires in my whole GT experience, since GT1, never. Now I did, and it's brilliant.

Last edited:
Listen, I could care less about your continuous bragging and swinging insults in the dark

First off, it's couldn't care less not could care less.
Secondly, YOU was the one that used obscene language in this thread, then carried on your "swinging" insults "in the dark" by contacting me via PM, which is the reason I barred you from my PM list.

Div is certainly a suitable name for you.

EDIT: As I have you barred on my PM list, therefore I can't read your posts unless I choose to view them - then I will no longer view them.
I'm not going to allow myself to be drawn into a war of words by you any further.

Last edited:
First off, it's couldn't care less not could care less.
Secondly, YOU was the one that used obscene language in this thread, then carried on your "swinging" insults "in the dark" by contacting me via PM, which is the reason I barred you from my PM list.

Div is certainly a suitable name for you.

Let's stay respectful shall we! oh, and just so you know, it's "you were" , not " you was" ;)

EDIT: Put racing slicks on even the most average of cars in GT5p, and it will take chicanes like it is welded to the tarmac. Tell me thats realistic...
Actually a stickier tyre will increase the tyre/track grip co-efficient and as a result peak cornering speeds will increase significantly. However......

Put racing slicks on any roadcar and it will be literally glued to the track, so much so you will have difficulty losing traction.

...right up until the increased grip overloads the suspension, you hit the bump-stops, your effective spring rate heads into infinity and you're grip disappears at that end. Road car suspension is simply not designed to cope with the massive increases in grip that full slicks provide, you end up with grip, grip, grip, nothing.........................................death.

Now I must confess that I have spent little time on GT5P since the update, but given that this thread appears to have descended into sheer pointlessness I certainly intend to.

However I would also like to remind everyone of this part of the AUP....

AUP
You will not behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner, and will not harrass, threaten, nor attack anyone or any group. There will be no racially, sexually or physically abusive or inciteful language tolerated. Any abusive comments made by members will be removed by the Moderating staff and the user issued with a warning or banned, as deemed appropriate by the Moderating staff. No personal attacks on other members will be tolerated. If you question someone, it must be done in a reasonable and semi-friendly manner. Violating this rule will be grounds for suspension and/or permanent removal from the board.

...in particular the part I have highlighted. The tone and manner of conversation in here is at times directly in breach of that part of the AUP. I strongly advice all members to remember that we take the AUP seriously here, by all means discuss this with vigour, but do it politely and with respect for each other. If not GTP may well end up with a few less members, and lets be honest do any of you want your name on the banned list for this kind of reason?

I didn't think so.

I look forward to getting into this discussion later on, and will be keeping a very close eye on this from now on.

Regards

Scaff

Actually a stickier tyre will increase the tyre/track grip co-efficient and as a result peak cornering speeds will increase significantly. However......

(...)

...right up until the increased grip overloads the suspension, you hit the bump-stops, your effective spring rate heads into infinity and you're grip disappears at that end. Road car suspension is simply not designed to cope with the massive increases in grip that full slicks provide, you end up with grip, grip, grip, nothing.........................................death.

(...)

All this leads us back to the point of the thread: did the update make the game more realistic? Based on what you're saying, the update is realistic, at least for the tuner and race cars. Their suspensions are designed to handle high speeds and super-grippy tires. With the better tire grip the update brought us, combined with the racing suspensions that race cars have, these cars should logically be easier to drive. Is my conclusion correct?

Conversely, though, road cars should be harder to drive at high speeds with R compound tires. At a certain point, the car should lose all grip and slide sideways off the track or start to spin, but I haven't noticed this yet. It'd be a good idea to try using R tires with more stock road cars to see if it's true.

Conversely, though, road cars should be harder to drive at high speeds with R compound tires. At a certain point, the car should lose all grip and slide sideways off the track or start to spin, but I haven't noticed this yet. It'd be a good idea to try using R tires with more stock road cars to see if it's true.
I'm not sure if the physics model in Prologue is programmed to simulate this to its full extent, so it may well be that even the average road car always grips like hell with R tires.

Back