"V for Vendetta": Thumbs up (pretty much...) from the GTP reviewers!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zardoz
  • 70 comments
  • 3,848 views
My 15-year-old son saw it today, and thought it was great. He has pretty sophisticated taste in flicks, actually, so I'll take that as a good review with some weight.

Sounds like it's a lot better than I thought it would be. I'll try to get around to seeing it.
 
Anderton Prime
The friend I watched it with thought the lesbian girl who wrote her story on the toilet paper scenes were unnecessary. I disagree. They do a lot to help Evey transform her views and realize her true self.

I agree with you. They give a little insight into Evey's character. But at first, I was wondering what these scenes had to do with anything. Once they were over though, they made a little more sense.
 
Just got back from this... And I saw it in IMAX!

Was good, Natalie's acting was top notch.
 
Great...Story..
Great...Hero..
Bad movie..

Some of the lamest, one liners/predictable scenes/ etc etc i've seen in a while.

This movie somehow didn't make me HATE it, but it's not a movie i'd buy when it hits the shelves..Worth my 7.50...but not worth 20...
 
I just saw this today, great story and great characters, a bit predictable in parts though as Driftster said. I'd definitely reccomend it.
 
I saw this Saturday and I enjoyed it. There was a couple of lines that made me cringe but overall it was an excellent movie.

The biggest problem I had was that they focused on one group being persecuted when the society seemed to be pretty much equal opportunity haters. I just shrugged it off as being the most easily hidden and still surviving minority.
 
I don't think I've actually heard anyone say they didn't like the movie.
 
VashTheStampede
I don't think I've actually heard anyone say they didn't like the movie.
I saw a couple of two-star reviews but when I see that it usually means I will like it and the story will keep me awake, unless it is a romantic comedy which is always guaranteed two-stars at the best.
 
I saw this last night and thought it was a pretty good movie. Not great but decent worth seeing at least once.
 
I thought it was no more than average. It goes, good action sequence, bored, bored, loud action sequence, end. Natalie's accent was a little wobbly, but she was very cute in it.
6/10
 
I thought it was really good. Definitely a must rent, maybe worth owning. Great direction, and unique everything, really. You don't see a movie like this very often, as far as plot, acting, sets, etc., go. Natalie was fantastic in it(maybe even Duke might go "she was alright in it...." :D).

I couldn't guess who was playing the part of "V". I thought it might've been Pierce Brosnan, but I knew it probably wasn't. End credits surprised me. He did an awesome job, I must say.

Wikipedia says the budget for this film was $54 million. If that is accurate, I think somebody deserve a bonus check. I see so much garbage from Hollywood costing much, much more than that!
 
Seems like a good majority of what comes out of Hollywood these days is crap and I think that is why this movie has been so warmly received. It is a good change from the repetitivie crap.
 
I bought it the day it was out on DVD, and I've watched it three times since then. Although I do not necessiarily prescribe to the radical revolutionary undertones of the film/GN, I do take the message of the story to heart.

...All I ask of the people who view it not to confuse it with an anti-Bush/Blair film given the context of the current times in which the film was released, but as an overall warning of what can happen when people become desperate for protection at the cost of power.

I've so often had to remind people that the GN was written in the early '80s that it makes me sick, much less that the screenplay itself wasn't written untill the mid '90s. Although the GN was certainly was ahead of it's time in art and storytelling, it's dystopian depiction of a nuclear-war that destroys much of civilization was lost in translation in the film, hence the reasons as to why so many people believe it to be an anti-Bush/Blair film.

...Either way, no matter what side you are on, it was a great movie overall.

"Remember remember the fifth of November,
Gunpower treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder treason,
Should ever be forgot..."
 
I bought it the day it was out on DVD, and I've watched it three times since then. Although I do not necessiarily prescribe to the radical revolutionary undertones of the film/GN, I do take the message of the story to heart.

...All I ask of the people who view it not to confuse it with an anti-Bush/Blair film given the context of the current times in which the film was released, but as an overall warning of what can happen when people become desperate for protection at the cost of power.

I've so often had to remind people that the GN was written in the early '80s that it makes me sick, much less that the screenplay itself wasn't written untill the mid '90s. Although the GN was certainly was ahead of it's time in art and storytelling, it's dystopian depiction of a nuclear-war that destroys much of civilization was lost in translation in the film, hence the reasons as to why so many people believe it to be an anti-Bush/Blair film.

...Either way, no matter what side you are on, it was a great movie overall.

"Remember remember the fifth of November,
Gunpower treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder treason,
Should ever be forgot..."

I never really thought the movie was written to be anti-Bush/Blair. I took the movie more as to be involved in the decision making process of your country, i.e. voting, talking to your congressmen and/or senator, getting involved in the political process, etc. Not allowing your elected officials to take away your basic human rights and freedoms is one of the biggest things I remember being a big deal.

I really need to watch the movie again because I have forgotten some of the things I had thought about the movie and its message.
 
I felt a bit of Anti-Bush in there as well. While I am anti-terrorists(in a way, Pro-Bush, I suppose), I was not offended by this film.
 
I felt a bit of Anti-Bush in there as well. While I am anti-terrorists(in a way, Pro-Bush, I suppose), I was not offended by this film.
I can see how people could easily see it as anti-Bush, but when you look at it in the context of the time period that the story was written it is an alternative end to the Cold War where things don't end so quietly and those in the middle have to go to extremes to "protect" themselves in a world gone mad. At most it would be anti-Reagan.
 
I can see how people could easily see it as anti-Bush, but when you look at it in the context of the time period that the story was written it is an alternative end to the Cold War where things don't end so quietly and those in the middle have to go to extremes to "protect" themselves in a world gone mad. At most it would be anti-Reagan.
I felt only a "bit" of it. Also, I realize that it was originally written long before the George W. Bush Era, but you are not that far off when you say: Current Hollywood=Anti-Bush. I felt that when they filmed this, they were also thinking about Bush Administration.
 
Man, this movie bored me to death for some reason :odd:. I just couldn't seem to get into it.
 
If you pay careful attention while watching the movie and compare it to the origional story, you can see that it was slanted a bit against what is going on today, but it isn't a drastic take on all of it. There is footage from the war in Iraq in there, among a reference to "America's War" (ie War on Terror) that takes over the Middle-East.

I found it interesting watching the special features on the DVD that the actors and producers continually point out that it is not an Anti-Bush/Blair film, when to some extent it can be taken that way. There are plenty of people who belive that, especially here in America, and all I have to do is point directly to the origional Graphic Novel...

Although that had somewhat anti-Regan/Thatcher undertones, I've always taken the story more as of a warning of what could happen if we give up too many civil liberties in the persuit of "protection."
 
[ . . . ]

I've always taken the story more as of a warning of what could happen if we give up too many civil liberties in the persuit of "protection."

And I feel the exact same way. This is the pretty close to what I was thinking watching the movie and thinking the writers were trying to tell me the entire time. I can somewhat see a little bit of overtones being present in the movie; but to me it was more about making sure as an individual that one should always do whatever he/she can to protect his/her rights, liberties, etc.
 
Loved it!!!! 👍 👍

I totally support the war in Iraq, and I loved this movie - meaning it isn't anti-Bush (though anti-Bush folks would probably think it is).

The premise of this movie is that "America's War", the war on terrorism, runs on and on against many terrorist factions and eventually, through fear, plants the seed for a sufficient erosion of civil liberties that a future England is in total oppression.

The movie runs from there to discuss the effect of fear on society and how it can be used to rob you of your freedom. The basic safety vs. freedom argument is one that we struggle with today - and so I felt that the present day referenes (of which there were few) were totally justified.

The message is loud and clear, don't let fear convince you to give up your freedom. This is a message that I'd like many of the folks that I argue with in the opinions forum to get. The concept that freedom is worth risking your life, that living in a safe but oppressive society isn't really living at all, is a beautiful theme and it makes for a great movie here.

Top notch acting by Weaving and Portman. Fantastic dialogue, themes and plot. The W Brothers are 4 for 4 in my book.

👍
 
I totally support the war in Iraq, and I loved this movie - meaning it isn't anti-Bush (though anti-Bush folks would probably think it is).
I'm not Anti-Bush, but I thought it had little bit of that in there. How about the wiretapping or Guantamano? Original story I guess was written before George W. Bush, so obviously the story had nothing to do with the President, but I'm pretty sure that the makers of the Hollywood movie version were very concious of Bush, when they made this movie. I don't think they made it into a Anti-Bush movie, however, but they did hint it.

Top notch acting by Weaving and Portman. Fantastic dialogue, themes and plot. The W Brothers are 4 for 4 in my book.
I have no idea what you mean by 4 for 4(I actually do :p), but all I can say is that I can't wait for Duke to see this movie. Natalie was good in this.

P.S. Did you realize that Wachowski Brothers didn't actually direct this film?
 
I'm not Anti-Bush, but I thought it had little bit of that in there. How about the wiretapping or Guantamano? Original story I guess was written before George W. Bush, so obviously the story had nothing to do with the President, but I'm pretty sure that the makers of the Hollywood movie version were very concious of Bush, when they made this movie. I don't think they made it into a Anti-Bush movie, however, but they did hint it.

They hinted at wiretapping and guantanamo being issues that we should care about. But it didn't lay blame with Bush, it put the blame squarely where it belonged - with the people.


a6m5
P.S. Did you realize that Wachowski Brothers didn't actually direct this film?

Produced Right?

My favorite line from the movie:


"An inch. It's small and it's fragile and it's the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it, or sell it, or give it away. We must never let them take it from us."

I tried to add it to me sig but it doesn't fit.
 
They hinted at wiretapping and guantanamo being issues that we should care about. But it didn't lay blame with Bush, it put the blame squarely where it belonged - with the people.
Yeah, you are right. And I did respect them for not turning this film into an Anti-Bush propaganda. It's just amazing how the Anti-Bush crowd criticize Bush for every decision he makes. I don't even like Bush anymore, but I still am amazed by how these people think Clinton was Jesus or something, and Bush the opposite. Talk about being blinded by hate. 👎


Produced Right?
I believe so. How about their debut? That lesbian suspense flick. I thought that was pretty good(5 for 5? :D).

My favorite line from the movie:


"An inch. It's small and it's fragile and it's the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it, or sell it, or give it away. We must never let them take it from us."

I tried to add it to me sig but it doesn't fit.
That was a great line, though I forgot it. For the first part of the movie, I thought the "V" was played by Pierce Brosnan. :ouch: When did you figure it out?
 
Yeah, you are right. And I did respect them for not turning this film into an Anti-Bush propaganda. It's just amazing how the Anti-Bush crowd criticize Bush for every decision he makes. I don't even like Bush anymore, but I still am amazed by how these people think Clinton was Jesus or something, and Bush the opposite. Talk about being blinded by hate. 👎

...Not to completely throw a wrench in this topic, but did you see the interview Clinton did on Fox News Sunday? Yeesh... Hes gone of the deep end!

-----

I still love this movie, as I watch it every once in a while for a good show. I'm planning on lending it to my Grandparents once they finially decide to buy a DVD player. I think they will enjoy it as well...
 
They hinted at wiretapping and guantanamo being issues that we should care about. But it didn't lay blame with Bush, it put the blame squarely where it belonged - with the people.
I just watched this again as we just got it on DVD. V does lay the blame squarely on the people. When he takes over the television network and puts on "V TV" his speech is about how the country had gotten to where it was because the people were afraid and allowed it to happen, but he forgave them as fear is a powerful motivator. And just as it was the people that allowed the country to get to where it was it would be the people that had to stand up and save the country.

As for anything anti-Bush, the most blame it ever lays on America or Bush is for the War on Terror spreading and setting up a situation that would allow Britain to become a facist regime. But it was Britain themselves that created the true fear by creating their own "terror attacks" in order to cause everyone to become scared enough to accept anything in the name of safety.

As for my favorite line, I do love the one about giving the inch, but I felt that the entire message behind teh movie was delievered with, "The people should not be afraid of their government, rather governments should be afraid of the people." I'm sure I messed that up but I got the point. It says a lot about how "safety" has gone too far when your liberties are infringed upon and you become afraid of your government instead of the enemies of your country.
 
Yeah, you are right. And I did respect them for not turning this film into an Anti-Bush propaganda. It's just amazing how the Anti-Bush crowd criticize Bush for every decision he makes. I don't even like Bush anymore, but I still am amazed by how these people think Clinton was Jesus or something, and Bush the opposite. Talk about being blinded by hate. 👎

People forget that Guantanamo has been around since long before Bush. Clinton didn't bother shutting it down. People are so blinded by hatred for Bush that they'll see anything as a reason to bash him, which is why I'm not concerned about this movie being misinterpreted.



a6m5
I believe so. How about their debut? That lesbian suspense flick. I thought that was pretty good(5 for 5? :D).

Didn't care for it, but I'm willing to give them a pass on their first one.


a6m5
That was a great line, though I forgot it. For the first part of the movie, I thought the "V" was played by Pierce Brosnan. :ouch: When did you figure it out?

I knew beforehand that it was Weaving.

As for anything anti-Bush, the most blame it ever lays on America or Bush is for the War on Terror spreading and setting up a situation that would allow Britain to become a facist regime. But it was Britain themselves that created the true fear by creating their own "terror attacks" in order to cause everyone to become scared enough to accept anything in the name of safety.

Yup, I thought they did a good job there. However, I found the ending a bit unrealisitc. Considering the historical president for revolution, I'd have to say that it was quite glorified.

FK
As for my favorite line, I do love the one about giving the inch, but I felt that the entire message behind teh movie was delievered with, "The people should not be afraid of their government, rather governments should be afraid of the people." I'm sure I messed that up but I got the point. It says a lot about how "safety" has gone too far when your liberties are infringed upon and you become afraid of your government instead of the enemies of your country.

That was also an excellent line.
 
Yup, I thought they did a good job there. However, I found the ending a bit unrealisitc. Considering the historical president for revolution, I'd have to say that it was quite glorified.
Are you referring to how the people reacted in the end? I think that was more symbolism than anything, especially when you see who some of the people are.
 
Are you referring to how the people reacted in the end? I think that was more symbolism than anything, especially when you see who some of the people are.

I suppose. But I think the movie would have delivered its point a bit better if it showed what would have happened realisitically.
 
Back