V-Rally 4 (PC, PS4, Switch, Xbox One) - Release date September 2018

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 492 comments
V-Rally 4 is one of those games where the stuff around the track looks better than what's on it, more often than not!
full

I should be taking more photos, but accessing (only available via replays) and using the photomode feels like a chore.

I'm having a love hate relationship with this game. Some stages and cars look fantastic others do not. But overall on DS4 controller so far it is fun, handling I am used to now and I will keep going back to it.

I couldn’t sleep last night so I fired up the game and decided to do some quick matches which I like a lot. I spent most of the time trying to dial in the settings for my wheel which was a little trying, but I think I can find a setting I like eventually.

The only thing that’s a little odd is the cars have a tendency to sway back and forth when driving in a straight line. I even turned the FFB up to max to get some more weight in the wheel since it’s really light overall on all surfaces. We’ll just say cars really want to oversteer with the baseline settings. Maybe it’s just a matter of getting used to the feel. Otherwise I like the Rally stage generator.

Can't say I'm enjoying this much at the moment. The A.I seems to be all over the place. I can be doing a rallycross event and win easily, then do a standard rally race and be absolutely smoked.

It's weird, as it feels like a more difficult game than WRC 7, which shouldn't be the case...should it?

I agree as well about keeping the cars going in a straight line. Had to spend a fair bit of time tweaking the controller settings (Xbox One here) as otherwise I was swerving left and right, always trying to compensate for that weird weaving.

The trouble is, the same dev made Isle of Man TT, and despite that having some odd physics issues, they have never patched it...or even acknowledged it.

Can't say I'm enjoying this much at the moment. The A.I seems to be all over the place. I can be doing a rallycross event and win easily, then do a standard rally race and be absolutely smoked.

It's weird, as it feels like a more difficult game than WRC 7, which shouldn't be the case...should it?.

Yeah, it took me a while to work out how the difficulty works. On average, rally races are more difficult initially since you start out with lower rates cars than other classes.

One key thing to look out for is the number of stars on each event - This not only determines the duration, but also how fast the competition is. It is a discreet way of saying more stars = higher recommended performance rating.

I'm finding it worse in rally cross than rally, but I don't find it that bad, there was a default steering option that I turned to zero, that improved it. can't remember what mind ... It's good fun.

Gotta say I am enjoying this game despite it's flaws. The AI is quite tough sometimes and super easy other times, so it's a bit frustrating when you run a perfect race only to be surprised not to place well. Progressing is a bit odd, I suppose you just race until the Championships show up, but you need to get the right car first (which is also a bit unclear which car is good enough to use in a race) and upgrades. Think I would have preferred a typical career structure.

Also, I thought I wouldn't enjoy the 'extreme-khana' stuff, but it's actually really fun (although repetitive with the same course layouts over and over) and the only discipline I was able to get the Championship completed so far. I can't win the V-Rally-cross events if my life depended on it. I get a better car and suddenly the AI is still much faster. Working on fully upgrading my Fiesta to see if that helps.

Overall this is a fun pick-up and play sorta game. I will admit, though, that the $60 price feels a bit steep now.

I think the positives outweigh the negatives @SPhilli911 .

I've just done a 15km hillclimb on Mt Rainier, great fun. Hillclimb is truly excellent. For me, it's like WRC 7 and SLRE had a baby.

Is it perfect? No. Is it a good arcade rally/off-road game, absolutely.

As for price? Well, yes, first day price is always high, devs won't be getting much of that $60 though. It's my most-played game on PS4 currently.

Having a really good time with this. Love the Porsche 911SC. Favorite car so far.

I think the physics and handling are fine. The FFB could be a bit more detailed, but it’s serviceable. I did some tweaking of the control setup (T300 user) and it’s generally pretty good.

With that said, there are some issues; replays and car customization don’t have full functionality using the wheel, and for some reason the FFB is completely gone when driving at the Canadian testing facility. Also wish the frame rate was a little higher, but it’s ok.

The career mode is a little tough to follow. Figuring out what car you should be using is basically guesswork, but I’m assuming the more stars, the competition will have faster cars.

Still like this game.

@Scaff What about hillclimb didn't you like? I really enjoy the mode, some great settings. Likewise, I'm surprised by extreme-khana and how good it is.

FYI, I've been tweaking car settings in rally cross and it makes the cars so much nicer to drive, or at least the Renault I was in.

@Scaff What about hillclimb didn't you like? I really enjoy the mode, some great settings. Likewise, I'm surprised by extreme-khana and how good it is.

FYI, I've been tweaking car settings in rally cross and it makes the cars so much nicer to drive, or at least the Renault I was in.
He's not on here anymore.

Watched that video. Really useful in learning about what the game's about.

That's a great shame, Scaff is someone I always look for on gaming opinions, looks like there was some nasty nonsense going on on Youtube. We actually disable comments on our work YT videos. YT atmosphere isn't always the nicest.

Update 1.04 seems to have fixed the FFB loss at the Canadian testing facility. 👍

Replay functionality and car customization still extremely limited using wheel. :irked:

Anyone else think the lighting has been given a slight tweak in v1.04? The placebo effect could be just as likely, but the Air Base and Detroit seem a little bit sharper to me; compare this photo with the RX8 photo I posted above
full

And speaking of the RX8, it seems to have been given a new livery? For some reason, it replaces the old one:
full

Which buttons do you want to assign as brake and accelerate on DS4 and I can have a look for you. Do you use manual gears too?

I don't think they have revealed any details yet as far as I know 👍
Right analog stick for acc and brake. I normaly use R1 and L1 for gear change.

Ok i did check they definitely have a change 'binding' settings for Controller to individually change each button, so the R1 + L1 gear change is fine.

I might have to go back to check you can make both 'acc+brake' actions on one selection ...

Is that easy to drive on one stick? Don't you get more control with the individual Triggers and the buttons [] + O for manual gear change?

Thanx for checking. Been playing racing games with the analogue aticks since PS2. Right analogue for brake/acc. Left one for steering. Gives me better input contel than a button i.e on /off.

Tried Hillclimb for the first time today. The China location is amazing.

One thing absent in Rallycross is a spotter. Would be good to have one..

One thing absent in Rallycross is a spotter. Would be good to have one..
In real life there's not one either. Simply because they're very easy to remember, just like circuit racing.

Also,

In my opinion the game isn't even nearly worth 50€. Absurd.

Back