V-Rally 4 (PC, PS4, Switch, Xbox One) - Release date September 2018

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 492 comments
The Extreme Khana is not too bad, I'm not keen on the whole GymKhana thing of donuts but I think you will be fine.

Basically the game is WRC7 with different cars and tracks!

It is just a shame some of the environments look a little dated (graphics wise). I just think I having the PS4 Pro/XboxOneX with GT Sport, Forza 7 and God of War with stunning graphics really doesn't help, so jumping back in to this takes a while to forget about those games!

I hope you enjoy it if you do pick it up. I tried to give my honest impressions but just not sure where I sit with the final score. I didn't like SLRE or WRC7 initially either but both grew on me the more I played.

Don't worry I'm sure I will like it. I love both SLRE & WRC7 probably in equal measure and whilst I acknowledge GTS & Forza have nicer graphics, it's quite irillevent to me, I grew up playing ZX Spectrum so anything from the Amiga onwards looks amazing to me! And besides these games cover my favourite form of motorsport, ie rally.

To hear that it feels like WRC7 its joy to my ears :)

That's again for taking the time to express your thoughts :)

Awesome!! Only problem I have with WRC7 is that it's just the same tracks in the same order over and over again with a not that intriguing roster of cars.

I'm still having fun with SLRE, otherwise I'd pick this up today.

Not sure if your aware but you can create custom championships that allow you to choose whichever rounds you like in whatever order. You can also then play a championship with the 2016 cars.

Don't worry I'm sure I will like it. I love both SLRE & WRC7 probably in equal measure and whilst I acknowledge GTS & Forza have nicer graphics, it's quite irillevent to me, I grew up playing ZX Spectrum so anything from the Amiga onwards looks amazing to me! And besides these games cover my favourite form of motorsport, ie rally.

Same here. After GTS anything looks ugly but I get used to whatever graphics if the physics are good.

I remember playing racers that looked like this
10138-test-drive-dos-screenshot-cga-sample-screen.gif

Not sure if your aware but you can create custom championships that allow you to choose whichever rounds you like in whatever order. You can also then play a championship with the 2016 cars.

Now I know, thanks!

I also grew up with Pole position on Atari, cassettes and a BBC / Amiga/Zx spectrum but I have got used to these amazing graphics now.:P

Just remember so far on controller it has that simcade feel to the vehicles compared to WRC7. But as I showed you can tweak your set ups.
I haven't played with a wheel to see the ffb or get a proper feel.👍

Last edited:
I also grew up with Pole position on Atari, cassettes and a BBC / Amiga/Zx spectrum but I have got used to these amazing graphics now.:P

Just remember so far on controller it has that simcade feel to the vehicles compared to WRC7. But as I showed you can tweak your set ups.
I haven't played with a wheel to see the ffb or get a proper feel.👍

Do you happen to have some more "photomode" shots :embarrassed:?

BTW: replays seem to be a huge improvement over WRC7. The camera is a lot more detached from the car 👍

MrCrynox:

Now I know, thanks!

Actually I know this thread is about V Rally but talking about WRC7 I noticed something the other day when starting a new WRC championship year, it gave me the option of driving a minor non factory team 2016 car, (a fiesta), against the 2017 cars which I suppose it's right because that did happen, it was only the top 4 teams that had the new specification cars at that point..I didn't take the offer but I wonder how it would go as you would certainly be the underdog on a underpowered car compared to the 2017 cars. I'm going to give it a go next time round, it adds longevity to the game, and probably a right challenge..

Do you happen to have some more "photomode" shots :embarrassed:?

BTW: replays seem to be a huge improvement over WRC7. The camera is a lot more detached from the car 👍

I have taken a few shots for you, but the photo mode is just a quick photo. I tried to take different cars on different tracks to give you an idea of the quality of some cars/tracks to others.

[/spoiler]

Last edited:
Interesting to hear that the handling isn't one-to-one with WRC. Going simcade for V-Rally makes sense but I sorta wish they had went down the DiRT 4 route of trying to incorporate both options. Although, as far as I'm concerned, that didn't work out so well and 4 ended up playing like a botched DiRT Rally.

Hearing that it is simcade also gets me hyped for the Switch release. If the port is good, it could do seriously well. Gearclub isn't exactly stiff competition.

I really like the Rally track generator it throws up some random tracks that are usually 10-13km long and really challenging with twisty turns and the roads are guaranteed to be tough and bumpy all the way.

I keep on dynamic FOV and blur normal, it seems to suit how i like it in cockpit cam. I like the stone noise under the cars and now Russia/Siberia and the snow is my favourite all rounder and the one I have been on most. 👍 It's growing on me each day, and made me appreciate WRC7 even more.

V-Rally 4_20180905172243.jpg
V-Rally 4_20180905172258.jpg
V-Rally 4_20180905172617.jpg
V-Rally 4_20180905172847.jpg
V-Rally 4_20180905173355.jpg

I've got this pre-ordered (standard edition) for PS4. Though I am excited to play a rally game again (and the last one being WRC7 for me), I don't have the highest expectations. The graphics look meh, but so were WRC7's graphics, though, that game had great lighting. I am slightly disappointed the handling physics aren't the same as WRC7, but I'll wait and see how it feels for myself.

Really looking forward to the Safari 911. 👍

The option for wheel rotation limit also not work. You set ingame the rally usual 540° but its not working. Dosnt matter if you do the wheel calibration or not. Also H-shifter is not supported but you can activate manual clutch what makes no diffrent to paddle shift, donst matter if you press the clutch or not, even at start. You have same wheel options like in dirt rally/dirt 4 but throught the inputlag caused by the disgusting 30fps it feels just like crap. You have no controll of the car. Pure waste of money and hard drive space.

All of the replays I've seen look good to me. Should be buying the Pre-Order by this evening.

UPDATE: Digital Pre-order from the PS Store done.

Last edited:
I've had a go a V-Rally 4 and it is... Literally unplayable.

I mean, how am I supposed to concentrate on tight rally stages when the environments look that gorgeous? It is impossible drive and admire the scenery at the same time. :banghead: /s

Jokes aside, my initial impressions are very good! Just got to clear out one negative first; the photomode is as bad as @torque99 says, it is literally just a free cam mode with no camera settings and the controls for it are a bit clunky. I suppose it is better than nothing.

However, everything else seems satisfactory, and some aspects have surpassed my expectations. While the game runs at 30fps, it does so very smoothly - much better than Gravel. Speaking of which, it has that game beat for visuals hands down and I could even argue V-Rally 4 looks better than any DiRT game released, making it the most aesthetically pleasing rally game I've ever played! :cool:

But what takes the cake is the effort gone into the scenery. Granted, I haven't raced on all the tracks yet but Kylotonn have made a good job of making the tracks feel more alive and varied compared to any rally game this gen, plus the draw distances are really impressive. 👍

Physics are definitely on the more arcadey and loose side but given the nostalgic name attached to the game, that's perfectly fine with me. So far, I'd highly recommend V-Rally 4 to anyone looking for a casual rally game, it's definitely ticking the right boxes where it counts! ;)

Last edited:
The option for wheel rotation limit also not work. You set ingame the rally usual 540° but its not working. Dosnt matter if you do the wheel calibration or not. Also H-shifter is not supported but you can activate manual clutch what makes no diffrent to paddle shift, donst matter if you press the clutch or not, even at start. You have same wheel options like in dirt rally/dirt 4 but throught the inputlag caused by the disgusting 30fps it feels just like crap. You have no controll of the car. Pure waste of money and hard drive space.

The fact there’s no H-shifter considering the classic cars is a bit worrisome. Other than Team VVV’s gameplay footage using a wheel with cars that paddle shift, most streamers have been using a controller in 3rd person (Super GT, GamerMuscle are some big ones that come to mind). It would be a shame if there’s no H-shifting options..

This game looks so good, and after how good WRC7 was, I hope it’s not as Arcad-ey as it’s appearing to be.

PS4 user with Logitech G29 wheel here.
A bit confused. I've downloaded and installed the game on my PS4 console. I use a Logitech G29 wheel for racing.
My wheel being always connected, upon PS4 powering up the wheel does its usual initialising rotating left and right. The "Welcome Back to PlayStation"....."Press the PS button to use the controller" screen appears. I press the PS button on the wheel as usual. The "Controller connected.....Who is using this controller?" screen next appears as usual. I click my user name (again as usual) and the Playstation Home screen appears with all the games in a row. So far so good.

I next navigate to the V-Rally 4 game with the wheel's directional button and click on "X" button to start the game. The game loads with intro . A "Press the OPTIONS button" screen appears". Now here is where I get stuck.

----->When I press the "OPTIONS" button on my G29 wheel to proceed there is no response. The button press does nothing.
In order to continue from that screen I have to power on my Playstation DS hand controller and select user. Then with the DS controller I'm able to activate the OPTIONS button on the controller which will load the next screen to proceed. Again only the buttons on the DS controller are able to activate "X" to start/continue or whatever. The buttons and whatever else on the wheel remain inactive, unable to use.

I don't want to play with the DS controller but I want to do so with my G29 wheel. So I'm stumped. What gives?
Why am I not able to use my wheel so far? Isn't the G29 wheel supported or is there something I'm missing in the process?
Can someone shed some light please? Help.

@davidt33 WRC7 required both the wheel and the controller to be on at the same time. Turn on both devices and try booting the game with the wheel and leave the controller on. If that doesn't work see if you might have to force the wheel in the input options in the menu. Disclaimer: I don't have V-Rally 4 but it might work.

@davidt33 WRC7 required both the wheel and the controller to be on at the same time. Turn on both devices and try booting the game with the wheel and leave the controller on. If that doesn't work see if you might have to force the wheel in the input options in the menu. Disclaimer: I don't have V-Rally 4 but it might work.
That's really crappy for a rally-sim game like V-Rally 4 which focusses on driving cars IMO.
I'll wait a bit hoping to get further response from users similar to myself on console (hopefully PS4) with G29 wheels to see if they can shed some light on their experience in proceeding.

whaaaat? I haven't had that problem with WRC 7, just my wheel and it works.

Well after some research I guess some of these classic Rally cars have been retrofitted with sequential transmissions, so not having an H pattern isn’t totally unacceptable.

This guy is my hero. :)

Well after some research I guess some of these classic Rally cars have been retrofitted with sequential transmissions, so not having an H pattern isn’t totally unacceptable.

This guy is my hero. :)

That sound is cool eh?

Back