Van Thread

• Thread starter Legro
  • 272 comments
1936 Stout Scarab
maxresdefault.jpg

scarab_1935.jpg
sc1936sedan30115845.jpg
stout-00001-4.jpg

The Stout Scarab is considered by some as the world's first minivan. It had a rear engine Ford flat head V8. When new, this was the pinnacle of art-deco and streamlined styling but was considered too unordinary and ugly to the press at the time.
This van was a VERY expensive vehicle. Chrysler's top of the line vehicle for 1936, the Imperial Airflow, cost $1,345 which was pretty expensive in the day. But the Scarab had a price tag of $5,000. That is the equivalent to about $91,000 today.

It's been a while since we sold my wife's Megane Trophy+. We weren't settled on getting a new car for her yet. I was looking at getting a new Swift Sport and a couple other makes. Now, my wife is getting the feeling again. She loves the renault brand and always liked the Trafic. then, she saw this:
REN0895_F1_Trafic_ColourPicker_StormGrey_R0.jpg

TRAFIC_Formula-Edition-%E2%80%93-Interior-with-Driver_sRGB_LR_V2.jpg

(not my wife driving^^)
It's not an Espace F1, but as close as she would like. What set her off, is a yellow Clio F1 special edition by my daughter's school. Once my wife saw that, she started drooling. Another reason is, she's going to start selling goods at markets again. She does prefer if they made one in Bamboo green, though.
Renault_Trafic_00063866_Bamboo_Green_SWB_TwinTurbo.jpg

I just recently learned that the (T1) Volkswagen Type 2 has a drag coefficient of 0.44. That means it is more aerodynamic than the classic VW Beetle (0.48) and is as aerodynamic as a Jaguar E-Type (0.44) :eek:. That is pretty impressive!
01-0090_Uzo_1951.jpg
61_Jaguar-E-Type-FHC_DV-10-PBC_c01-800.jpg

Lately I've been getting into post-war European vans. I'll post more later, but for now, have a couple of DKW Schnellaster vans.

1954 DKW Schnellaster F 89 L minibus

DKW Schnellaster Fire Engine of Buchberg am Kamp

Built from 1949 through 1962, they were FWD and came originally with a 20 hp 700cc two-stroke twin which was later bumped up to 22hp and 800cc. Finally it got a 32 hp 900cc triple, still a two-stroke engine.

Lately I've been getting into post-war European vans. I'll post more later, but for now, have a couple of DKW Schnellaster vans.

1954 DKW Schnellaster F 89 L minibus

DKW Schnellaster Fire Engine of Buchberg am Kamp

Built from 1949 through 1962, they were FWD and came originally with a 20 hp 700cc two-stroke twin which was later bumped up to 22hp and 800cc. Finally it got a 32 hp 900cc triple, still a two-stroke engine.
Those were the same motors found in the 3=6 correct?

Those were the same motors found in the 3=6 correct?
Only the 900cc engine. The 700 and 800 were twins.

International Harvester Metro Van made from 1938 to 1972. Designed by the legendary Raymond Loewy. Inline-6 engine, V8 in later models. Made in different wheelbase lengths. To my mind one of the best looking American vans ever.

International Harvester Metro Van

International Harvester Metro Box 21 Canteen and Salvage

1956 International Harvester Metro

1959 International Harvester Metro

1965 International Harvester Metro Coach

Last edited:
How about a batch of Studebaker vans? I believe the black and white photos are all K15 vans from 1938.

1950 R10. I know nothing about this, unfortunately.

The US Postal Service Zip Van is iconic, but people forget that they were all built by Studebaker in 1964 (but registered as 1963 models to fulfill the government contract.) As you can see, they make for a fun custom van, too.

1950 R10. I know nothing about this, unfortunately.
It appears to be based on the 2R-series pickup; the name would likely suggest the 2R10 specifically, which means it sits on a 3/4-ton chassis. Engine is probably the L-head 245-inch Commander 6. The smaller Champion 6 is unlikely in something of that size.

When I was a kid, I was sort of obsessed with 1-box vans and buses. If there's any vehicle that embodies that shape perfectly, it's the H100 and H200 Toyota HiAce. I would love to have one...too bad they'll never be legal in California.

1200px-Toyota_Hiace_H200_505.JPG

It's disapointing to me that Toyota has gone to a more Euro/American look for the latest version of the HiAce. Vans look best without hoods, IMO.

I dig the HiAce, but I prefer a hood. Back in '89 at college, my friend used his uncle's Econoline conversion to commute from The Bronx to Brooklyn. Awesome thing to have when a bunch of us got stuck in mid-town traffic.

images - 2020-11-03T064601.840.jpeg
images - 2020-11-03T064531.760.jpeg

I could have either though. Drove both a GMC maintenance van and Dodge installation/repair van, for most of my telecommunications career.

When I was a kid, I was sort of obsessed with 1-box vans and buses. If there's any vehicle that embodies that shape perfectly, it's the H100 and H200 Toyota HiAce. I would love to have one...too bad they'll never be legal in California.

1200px-Toyota_Hiace_H200_505.JPG

It's disapointing to me that Toyota has gone to a more Euro/American look for the latest version of the HiAce. Vans look best without hoods, IMO.
Just wait nine years and you'll be able to start importing these to the US legally.

Back