Van Thread

• Thread starter Legro
  • 271 comments
The split-window bus is my favorite van, period. This is a 1950 VW Type 2, serial number 20-1880, the oldest known VW bus in existence. It was made in August 1950, five months after the start of production, which gives you some idea of how disposable they were seen for the longest time. It was originally a delivery vehicle, then passed through several owners until one person realized what it was and bought and restored it. It is now owned by the VW Museum.

You can do nice things with vans.

iu

1903 Cadillac Model A Delivery Wagon
1909 Walker Electric Model 15 Delivery Van
b005836f6aa5de0ee1b83f932688a54a99464dc7.jpg

I really love this one you posted:
b005836f6aa5de0ee1b83f932688a54a99464dc7.jpg

So in 110 years, we haven't really made any real progress have we, j/k:
screen-shot-2018-05-09-at-8-53-59-am-e1525870656697.jpg

Hyundai-Kia-Arrival-EV.jpg

Amazon%20Rivian%20Van%205%20lede.jpeg

as cool as these vans look very low to the ground, they are unfortunately not practical for delivery in remote area where roads are not necessarily paved...

Last edited:
Since prices for German built Volkswagen T1 Buses have skyrocketed in the past ten years, Brazilian built T1s have gained popularity in the USA and Europe as a cheaper alternative with many being imported recently.
Brazilian VW T1s were built on a separate timeline from the German production. Production of German T1s ended in 1967 whereas Brazilian T1s were built until 1975. Brazilian buses are generally more inexpensive due to the fact they are still very plentiful in Brazil.
Although they too have recently started increasing in value, a decent 15-window Brazilian window Bus could be bought for half the price of a German built example in similar condition.
Many people have already created 23-window Sambabus clones out of Brazilian Buses. I personally don’t mind the clones if they are well done. It’s the only way I could afford a clean 23-window Bus for under $100k.
1971 Brazilian 23-window conversion that sold on BringaTrailer: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-volkswagen-kombi-samba-type-2-t1/. You can find examples cheaper than what this one sold for.
upload_2021-4-20_22-8-26.jpeg

upload_2021-4-20_22-9-1.jpeg

upload_2021-4-20_22-9-39.jpeg

upload_2021-4-20_22-10-1.jpeg

Last edited:
No joke. That Plymouth, especially in that condition is probably rarer than any of those cars at that cars and coffee.
Exactly, believe it’s rust free and maybe low miles on it, I’ve seen it at a few shows in Detroit.

upload_2021-5-6_21-9-50.png

April 19th marked 70 years since the introduction of the Volkswagen Samba at the 1951 Frankfurt Motor Show. It was VW’s first appearance at a European auto show. The Beetle’s assembly line was recreated and several Beetles were dressed up in various colors. But a new two-tone, 9-passenger luxury version of the Type-2 was shown.
upload_2021-5-6_21-20-0.jpeg

The car was officially named the Kleinbus Sonderausführung (Minibus Special Version) while in the US it was advertised as the Microbus Deluxe. The German designation changed to ‘Sondermodell’ (Special Model) the following year.
Compared to a normal Microbus, the Sondermodell cost an additional DM 3,000.
upload_2021-5-6_21-29-24.jpeg

For this money, the customer received a two-tone paint finish, aluminum decorative trim. Four skylight windows on each side were taken over from the buses and coaches of the time. A large fabric sliding roof was also added. Inside, there were also new side panels, a mechanial clock and chrome decor and, for an additional charge, a tube radio in the dashboard. This made the T1 a luxurious touring vehicle for groups or large families.
1EC6B79F-70D4-4ABB-8862-1EEEEFFD32AB.jpeg

In customer circles, the nickname ‘Samba’ soon circulated. The originals of the name can no longer be reconstructed. It is believed the name Samba is one of two German acronyms describing the vehicle. One is ‘Sonder-Ausführung mit besonderer Ausstattung’ (special version with special equipment) and the other is ‘Sonnendach-Ausführung mit besonderem Armaturenbrett’ (sunroof version with special dashboard).
FC46FC6D-E1ED-40F6-A6FB-43B95BA6736B.jpeg

From 1954, the designation ‘Samba’ officially appeared in Volkswagen’s price lists in the Netherlands. Between June 27, 1951, and the end of production in July 1967, almost 100,000 examples of the ‘special model’ rolled off the production line in Hanover. A few vehicles were painted in a single color. In addition, the complete luxury equipment could be ordered via the option code M130, but without skylights and fabric sliding roof. Otherwise, a total of 23 windows (the windows in the front doors were combined into one window per door) and the hatch in the roof provided plenty of light in the interior. In August 1963, Volkswagen introduced a wider tailgate on the T1, which meant that the small rear corner windows were omitted on the Samba. People therefore speak of the 21-window bus.
upload_2021-5-6_21-19-7.jpeg

I've just become aware that the late Nissan Quest was the only US-Market minivan (correct me if I'm wrong) to have a JDM counterpart, the Nissan Elgrand. Apparently the front end of the Elgrand can be fitted to the Quest and the results are pretty awesome.

USDM Quest:
71OuPSIGqCL._UY560_.jpg

JDM Elgrand
2020-Nissan-Elgrand-Highway-Star-Jet-Black-Urban-Chrome-0.jpg

USDM Quest with Elgrand nose graft

dc4285_2ef8aae4f7ca4bd5b301b2fe92120ec2~mv2.jpg

AThN3-LBT_UKqzz_80dK08aVaxMjchv6Ku--nTTwUWyql_v-Xnmzlsy_dXQIRPVGzro4bk3VCYE8QJBVi54mh3_p1yulsjxZ7mTZ2WybIV0zia_M77aZ1q0icUzbXxXi

The rear is also different, but that apparently requires some sheet metal work to convert, so not as straightforward.

I'm kind of tempted by the Quest - the only negative for me is the CVT trans...but it's a van so...

The old Odysseys were pretty cool - the first gen especially, unfortunately the Odysseys that followed were ugly bloated pigs.

The Mazda5 also had a JDM counterpart now that I'm thinking about it. What a strange car to try to sell to the US market. I'm still intrigued when I see one, particularly one with a manual trans!

Just generally, I'm fascinated that Vans are often regarded as luxury vehicles in Japan whereas in the US they signal nothing but sad, defeated, domesticity.

Last edited:
The Mazda5 also had a JDM counterpart now that I'm thinking about it. What a strange car to try to sell to the US market. I'm still intrigued when I see one, particularly one with a manual trans!
In principle, it doesn't seem that strange to offer a minivan that is smaller and undercuts the price of all other minivans on the market. The 5 (the first-gen, at least) didn't sell too terribly but was far from successful. Goes to show that a compact CUV is much more attractive towards buyers than a compact minivan, regardless of practicality.

In Japan and other international markets it was known as the Mazda suPremacy.

Eu8koR3WQAIx-Pw.jpg

Eu8kokDVoAQiJNS.jpg

Eu8ko2iVIAEI6dH.jpg

Eu8kpDbXIAEQFWb.jpg

No idea what it's running, but these were all originally small block trucks. You could get a big block in another B-series, and I'd probably shoehorn a 400 into a shortbox and fill it with a turned down RB crank to boil those radials.

Now to spin some BÖC.

Last edited:
Eu8koR3WQAIx-Pw.jpg

Eu8kokDVoAQiJNS.jpg

Eu8ko2iVIAEI6dH.jpg

Eu8kpDbXIAEQFWb.jpg

No idea what it's running, but these were all originally small block trucks. You could get a big block in another B-series, and I'd probably shoehorn a 400 into a shortbox and fill it with a turned down RB crank to boil those radials.

Now to spin some BÖC.
That's right up your alley

A new company with an old name, Morris Commercial, is introducing a brand new all-electric van based on the design of the classic Morris JE vans of the 1940s/1950s. I like it. I hope they succeed.
Home-Page-Hero-Image.jpg

Family.jpg

Morris-Broadway-212-copy-scaled-1.jpg

John-Lewis.png

Red-Bull.jpg

Royal-Mail-1.png

Joymobile.png

Last edited:
Eu8koR3WQAIx-Pw.jpg

Eu8kokDVoAQiJNS.jpg

Eu8ko2iVIAEI6dH.jpg

Eu8kpDbXIAEQFWb.jpg

Now to spin some BÖC.
I know this post is a few weeks old...but I have to say ...if @TexRex was ever transmogrified into a 4-wheeled vehicle, it would be this one I'm pretty sure.

Back