Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,482 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
Grrrr. I want to see those cars so badly. Still another month away. :(

Tell me about it. Terribly frustrating.
 
You going to go watch?

I have to...



This needs signed :D
dscf9256px5zw8.jpg
 
I'm not crying. I'm not. If I am, these are tears of joy.
 
prisonermonkeys
I'm not crying. I'm not. If I am, these are tears of joy.

Was there anyone who even enjoyed it besides the track promoters who probably made a killing on it?

I really would like to hear some stories or explanation as to why the huge expense for such a short race that was pointless. I have my theories but I'm probably way off and has to do with contracts. It wouldn't surprise me to see them have a crap race to get it off the schedule contract wise.
 
It's a part of V8 Supercars' renewed international push. A few years ago, the race at Yas Marina was paired up with a race at the Bahrain International Circuit. The idea was to try and stimulate motorsport in the region by having local drivers compete in the V8 races. But despite the similarities between the V8 Supercars and the local categories of racing, the local drivers were not interested in racing, and the few who were proved to be very slow. Some years before the Arab Spring uprising, the organisers in Bahrain opted out of the contract, leaving Yas Marina to shoulder the costs alone. The race was briefly run as the opening round of the championship - which proved to be very unpopular - before the organisers arranged to have it on the support bill for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix because GP2 Asia merged with the GP2 Series, and the race at Yas Marina was discontinued.

Finally, the GP2-GP2 Asia merger included our flyaway rounds. Bahrain took two of them, running one in support for the 2012 Grand Prix, and one as a standalone round a week later. The second round proved to be a disaster with just half a dozen spectators over the course of the weekend, and it was dropped for 2013. Meanwhile, with the European Grand Prix being removed from the 2013 Formula 1 calendar, the GP3 Series found itself short one round. With vacancies on both the GP2 and GP3 calendars, organisers of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix seized the opportunity. But by now the support bill for the 2013 race was full, and the V8s were dropped.
 
I'm not crying. I'm not. If I am, these are tears of joy.

:lol:

I don't think anyone will be too upset about it, especially after last year's debacle.
 
Yep, like a roll cage with no wheels shows us anything. :p
 
Yep, like a roll cage with no wheels shows us anything. :p

Better than nothing :lol: I'm amazed at the amount of bracing though I thought I'd seen a decent amount in the passed but that's something else even compared to a btcc car.
 
Conformation that Abu Dhabi won't be in the 2013 calendar.

There is a God.

Also Shane Van Gisbergen linked to Tekno Autosports.

This is interesting, I was pretty certain his contract severance banned him from racing in V8's until 2014.
 
That was my understanding too, but according to the previous article I posted. Nothing was officially confirmed by SBR or Van Gisbergan himself, in regards to his contact situation for 2013.

Edit: Here's another article, on Shane's 2013 plans.

Shane Van Gisbergen set for hetic 2013
After fleeing his V8 Supercar gig with the Stone Brothers Racing at the end of last year he returned home to Auckland to spend time with his family and work out his immediate motor racing future.
The 23-year-old confirmed his V8 SuperTourer campaign this week, and is expected to announce a full-time return to V8 Supercars with Tekno Autosports in the coming days.
 
Last edited:
I'm guessing there was some issues there and that's why he pulled out and took his sponsor with him (I don't know his whole backstory). Hopefully we see him back though.
 
I'm confused. Thought he was finished with racing?
 
I'm confused. Thought he was finished with racing?
He's finished with V8 Supercars. He's implied that he's sick of politics getting in the way of the sport.
 
R1600Turbo
I'm confused. Thought he was finished with racing?

He is drifting this year.
 
once stoner gets more experience i can see him replacing lowndes at triple 8 in a few years
 
By the way, we going to keep this thread for 2013 or make a new one?
 
I vote we keep this one, it's been going for almost 9 years. I personally don't see the need for a new thread.

Though someone should really update the poll. :lol:
 
WOW. Never thought of that. 9 years. I was 16 when I made this thread....

Tell me how and I will update it haha
 
Is Shane really going back to V8SC at Tekno?
I thought hes doing D1NZ and Supertourers now.
 
Tell me how and I will update it haha

I have no idea, I've never made a poll before. :lol: I think you'll have to PM a mod.
Is Shane really going back to V8SC at Tekno?
I thought hes doing D1NZ and Supertourers now.

Yeah, he's full time in Supertourers this year. But because the Supertourers schedule doesn't clash with any V8's rounds, it is possible for him to do both.
 
So maybe he hasn't secured a development seat yet?
It's been speculated that the one issue that is slowing the process down is the way Triple 8 would need to acquire the #27 racing licence from another team.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back