Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,416 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about we just give them all D1NZ cars :lol:
Anyway back on topic, is the Tekno driver lineup secured yet?

Probably wont be sorted until the February test, as their second biggest sponsor has gone else where, and with them being on a really tight budget, and I think Patrizi actually owning the second car I don't believe they can afford to run 2 cars, let alone pay the giz, but then again SP Tools is reported to have left with him,
 
The V8's are popular, but not that popular.

I figured since they are starting to stream whole races over YouTube last year we might get lucky.
 
I highly doubt it, here in Australia we can't get the live stream youtube channel, as apparently we get it live on local network, LIKE HELL WE DO! gotta sit up until midnight to catch the delayed coverage because of the crap Australian rules soft football!
 
I highly doubt it, here in Australia we can't get the live stream youtube channel, as apparently we get it live on local network, LIKE HELL WE DO! gotta sit up until midnight to catch the delayed coverage because of the crap Australian rules soft football!

2011 we had live V8's but last year we only had highlights. Hope they go live again given the Next Generation V8's this year.
 
Like I said they've been broadcasting the live races on YouTube. I hope they continue that through 2013. It's not in HD, but it's better than the streams on Justin.tv that hardly work or are non-existent for some races.
 
2011 we had live V8's but last year we only had highlights. Hope they go live again given the Next Generation V8's this year.

Like I said they've been broadcasting the live races on YouTube. I hope they continue that through 2013. It's not in HD, but it's better than the streams on Justin.tv that hardly work or are non-existent for some races.

its all gone up the creek telecast wise since channel 7 took it over, the ATCC nearly died because it wasn't getting telecast until 1AM weekday's, then channel 10 picked it up and showed Saturday qualifying and Saturday's races during the live telecast on sunday's, unless it was an endurance round then Friday, Saturday and Sunday action would be live, if channel 10 still had it you could live stream it from the one.com.au website,
 
Posted on the V8 supercar twitter :lol:

B21134BE-D649-437E-8575-6B8193137B33-371-0000003365EAA142.jpg
 
:lol:


Give it a few more years and maybe they will broadcast the test. It will probably be on pay tv however.:grumpy:
 
Give it a few more years and maybe they will broadcast the test. It will probably be on pay tv however.:grumpy:
I doubt it will be broadcast at all. Ever. Testing takes all day, and without knowing what the teams are doing, it is difficult for the commentators to really do anything. Since the teams won't reveal their testing programmes, what's the point? All it would do is fill up eight hours that could otherwise be given over to regularly-scheduled programming and actually attract an audience.
 
NASCAR broadcasts their pre-season testing, I'm sure the ratings are strong enough for them to even consider it. Just because you don't want to watch it doesn't mean nobody else will.

If it deals with one of my favorite series and they have cars going around a track, I don't care what it is. I'll watch it.
 
I'm always a little shocked at how we have all this technology to stream live from races to testing but most series won't develop it at all as a prime resource as we are getting away from TV broadcast if you ask me. I've said this before with NASCAR since only 1/3 of season is watchable via basic cable. They really need to either come up with a way to stream live for monthly fee that's not way out there
($10 would be about right if you ask me) and that can allow practice, qualify and race with commentary. It's a market everyone avoids but blocks all the streams from sites.

It's also weird that they do YouTube stream for US (I'm not sure who else gets it) but don't for Aussies.
 
NASCAR broadcasts their pre-season testing, I'm sure the ratings are strong enough for them to even consider it.
No, they're not. One of the reasons why Channel 7 acquired the broadcast rights for a reduced fee (and for two years instead of six) is because there has been a downturn in overall viewing figures in recent years. The marquee events - Adelaide, Sandown, Bathurst and Sydney - get the highest ratings, but the in-between rounds (like Ipswich and Barbagallo and Winton) get considerably-lower ratings. There was even talk that Channel 7 would only acquire the rights to the four biggest races of the year and let the rest be broadcast on pay-TV because viewership is weaker than ever before.
 
....and I bet the international audience (there is one, you know) would love to see more than just the races broadcast over YouTube in 360p. Even if they have to bring in a separate broadcasting team to do a strictly internet stream of the races. Local interest may be dropping, but I see more and more people on a monthly bases all around the world that are really interested in V8's. I would even go so far as to say the international audience is growing.

You guys can just ship the series over here or to Europe if you don't want it any more. :D
 
I personally think your both correct, the viewership figures domesically have dropped, thus making the investment for Seven less worthwhile, yet internationally viewership figures are rising.

The reason for the conflicting changes can be difficult to figure out. Evidently the international figures are rising because of increased telecast coverage and marketing. The domestic fall is caused by by a number of factors including:

-The increasing dominance of the leading teams (approx 94% win rate T8 & FPR)
-The fall in safety car rates (3 races without a safety car)
-And, what is perceived as a low quality telecast


PS. The series probably won't work outside Australia.
 
There is the V8 Superstar's championship, which rises and falls year to year with entries, much like Australian GT championship's,

But I totally agree with you there, the 7mate/ Channel & coverage blows! always delayed, or malfunctioning,

I will state that channel 7's coverage of the 2ltr touring cars and Auscar/ Australian NASCAR coverage killed both sports, Heck the Daewoo Cielo Championship got better coverage on SBS's Speed week,
 
:eek:What!!! There was a championship for Daewoo's.:odd:

I actually forgot about V8 Superstars, however, it would be very hard for V8 Supercars to compete against both them and DTM.
 
It ran between 1997 and 2000, Yanis Derums got his start in them, mainly all in the standard Daewoo maroon,

I think V8SC is becoming a bit more of an international heavy weight then we presume, seeing as the DTM season start's so late, around May and finishes in August/ September, V8 superstars only has 14 confirmed entries this year, so far, WTCC and BTCC are almost dead, not getting more then 1200 people through the gates at some events,
 
WTCC and BTCC are almost dead,

They should come to Canada. I'd pay more than my fair share to see them at Mosport. Surprisingly, (I know this from some fun in Race '07, the idea is from the Castrol Canadian Touring Car Championship which actually gets way more fans than 1200) Mosport is awesome in Touring Cars.
 
They should come to Canada. I'd pay more than my fair share to see them at Mosport. Surprisingly, (I know this from some fun in Race '07, the idea is from the Castrol Canadian Touring Car Championship which actually gets way more fans than 1200) Mosport is awesome in Touring Cars.

Mosport would be cool, Gilles Villeneuve would be better, V8SC on the streets of Vancouver in the old Indy circuit, that would be the Bomb, or even the Toronto street track,
 
Mosport would be cool, Gilles Villeneuve would be better, V8SC on the streets of Vancouver in the old Indy circuit, that would be the Bomb, or even the Toronto street track,

Yes to all of that, but not Vancouver. Since I live not far from Mosport and Toronto, I'd go to both of those. But, if they went to Vancouver (a city full of rioters and skiiers) no one would care/notice.


Wait, there's a track in Vancouver? Oops, I've never heard of it (because there's not a single Canadian who likes racing in Vancouver, because there's no permanent facility...)
 
I also don't want Vancouver, but mostly because it makes Canberra look like a wide and sweeping circuit. Mosport, Circuit Gillies Villeneuve or Mont Tremblant please
 
Yes to all of that, but not Vancouver. Since I live not far from Mosport and Toronto, I'd go to both of those. But, if they went to Vancouver (a city full of rioters and skiiers) no one would care/notice.


Wait, there's a track in Vancouver? Oops, I've never heard of it (because there's not a single Canadian who likes racing in Vancouver, because there's no permanent facility...)

:lol: I just really just enjoyed the tight fight street layout,

I also don't want Vancouver, but mostly because it makes Canberra look like a wide and sweeping circuit. Mosport, Circuit Gillies Villeneuve or Mont Tremblant please

Canberra was a wide open street course, until they moved it, even still the layout they used would have been good if they altered it ever so slightly,

The bottom layout of the Vancouver track is the one I enjoyed most,
 
Canberra was a wide open street course, until they moved it, even still the layout they used would have been good if they altered it ever so slightly,
What? The Canberra race was only ever held on one circuit:

Canberra_Australia_street_circuit_track_map.svg


No changes were ever made to its layout.
 
What? The Canberra race was only ever held on one circuit:

Canberra_Australia_street_circuit_track_map.svg


No changes were ever made to its layout.

The original plan was to have a different layout, but for some reason they altered it in the final months of confirmation and that's how it stayed,

I know most of them chicanes everywhere weren't meant to be, and I think it was meant to go the other side of Queen Victoria Drive, and also the inside lane of the highway, But it was altered for spectator views,
 
Last edited:
I also don't want Vancouver, but mostly because it makes Canberra look like a wide and sweeping circuit. Mosport, Circuit Gillies Villeneuve or Mont Tremblant please

:lol: Mosport, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve AND Mont Tremblant. And Circuit du Trois Rivières GP, while we're at it.

:lol: I just really just enjoyed the tight fight street layout,

Canberra was a wide open street course, until they moved it, even still the layout they used would have been good if they altered it ever so slightly,

The bottom layout of the Vancouver track is the one I enjoyed most,

Mate, a tight fight street layout is Circuit du Trois Rivières GP, and Mosport. Wait, forget the street part, Mosport's just a fight.

P.S., I really love Canberra, and hope Aussies bring it back, since I'm only dreaming of an Aussie V8s visit to North America; Austin Texas is too weird to be North American.
 
Shane's reported to have signed for tekno

RAMPANT speculation concerning the future of Shane van Gisbergen has taken a step up tonight following reports in New Zealand media that he has signed a deal with Tekno Autosports.

TV3 New Zealand reports that van Gisbergen will team up with the Queensland-based team in a VIP Petfoods sponsored Holden alongside Jonathon Webb. VIP Petfoods have been long supporters of the sport, including backing Steve Owen's Dick Johnson Racing Ford in 2012.

Tekno owner-driver Jonathon Webb denied any deal had been done when news first broke last week, as reported at V8supercars.com.au here.

The TV3 NZ report also suggested van Gisbergen would race with the Quinn family at next month's upcoming Bathurst 12 Hour race.

We will follow this story and update with more news as it comes to hand...
 
tekno
RAMPANT speculation concerning the future of Shane van Gisbergen has taken a step up tonight following reports in New Zealand media that he has signed a deal with Tekno Autosports.

TV3 New Zealand reports that van Gisbergen will team up with the Queensland-based team in a VIP Petfoods sponsored Holden alongside Jonathon Webb. VIP Petfoods have been long supporters of the sport, including backing Steve Owen's Dick Johnson Racing Ford in 2012.

Tekno owner-driver Jonathon Webb denied any deal had been done when news first broke last week, as reported at V8supercars.com.au here.

The TV3 NZ report also suggested van Gisbergen would race with the Quinn family at next month's upcoming Bathurst 12 Hour race.

We will follow this story and update with more news as it comes to hand...

Had to change the quote to show that tekno was saying that, obsessive.

Anyways, 👍 good to see that he's not going to screw himself out of a good job. I guess he saw the price tag on a condominium in Surfer's Paradise or something and thought "I might actually need money? :scared:"
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back