Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,568 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack Daniel Cars look a bit busy for my liking. Will have to see them on track first I think!
 
I saw James Moffat in person at last years Muscle Car Masters, so I can confirm that he does indeed look like a serial killer.
I was referring more to the photo on the team website. It's like they took the picture the moment before or the moment after he smiled, so it looks kind of scary.
 
So far nothing has matched the Pepsi Max to me, but RedBull normally has amazing ones even if basic.
 
Like the JD car, the Norton one not so much...
 
Triple Eight and Erebus are launching tomorrow. I wonder what is going to get more attention - Red Bull's presence at Triple Eight, or the Mercedes connection at Erebus?
 
Triple Eight and Erebus are launching tomorrow. I wonder what is going to get more attention - Red Bull's presence at Triple Eight, or the Mercedes connection at Erebus?

Schedule says 14th?
 
Someone told me it had changed.

Also (I'm bouncing around a bit here), I noticed James Moffat is #360, which makes sense given the connection to the sponsor. But I was under the impression that the FIA had said that there should not be any more three-digit car numbers when the series got "International" status. Although perhaps that was more a case of VESA being told to discourage it where possible, rather than prohibiting it outright.
 
What's the deal with the Kelly brothers? I just get this feeling that they are generally not well liked.. or maybe it's just my mistake?
 
What's the deal with the Kelly brothers? I just get this feeling that they are generally not well liked.. or maybe it's just my mistake?

I'm not sure about Todd, but I know Rick isn't well liked for the way he won his championship.

(Read Prisoner's post for explaination)
 
Last edited:
Another teaser image of the Triple Eight car:

redbullaustralia-299x299.jpg


I'm not sure about Todd, but I know Rick isn't well liked for the way he won his championship.
Todd isn't too bad, but the problem is that he's just wasting a seat. If Nissan were deadly serious about V8 Supercars, they would have pushed for the best drivers that they could get. They should have lobbied for Webb, Caruso, Van Gisbergen and Coulthard. Instead, they've got one decent driver in Caruso, and three weak drivers in the Kellys and Moffat.

Apparently Garth Tander (while they were teammates) blocked Craig Lowndes from catching him during the last round, hence meaning Craig never got a good chance to win the championship.
That's part of it. The HRTs - mostly Tander - did block Lowndes when he was lapping them at Phillip Island. I recall Tander got a penalty for it, but Triple Eight were furious that it took several laps for the stewards to black-flag him. And during qualifying, Mark Skaife also forced Lowdnes to go the long way around him at the Hayshed - one of the fastest parts of the circuit - even though Lowndes was on a flying lap and Skaife had just begun his warm-up.

Most of all, a lot of Ford fans think that Rick Kelly pushed him off the road in the final race. Lowndes was trying to line up a move on Todd Kelly going into the hairpin, whilst Rick Kelly went to Lowndes' right, where there was no space to make a move. The two made contact and Lowndes spun off, taking out Todd in the process. Rick slipped through and into the race lead:



At the risk of re-igniting an old debate, I believe it was deliberate. Lowndes had already lined up the move on Todd when Rick tapped him, which begs the question of what Rick was doing trying to go around Lowndes like that. The onus was on Rick to back off, and he should have known that if he continued with that line through that corner, he was either going to make contact with Lowndes, or run out of room and go off onto the grass. It's also suspect that he backs off the moment they made contact. Taken on its own, it looks like a racing incident, but when you look at it alongside the other incidents - Tander blocking him, Skaife forcing him off-line at a dangerous part of the circuit - there are perhaps one too many coincidences involved. Lowndes had been stronger all weekend, and only had to finish on the podium and ahead of Rick Kelly (even if Kelly himself was on the podium) to be champion. He was the favourite going into the race, and he got taken out by his main rival. Kelly strenuously denied any wrong-doing, but he never really lived it down.

That's really conjecture though. We will probably never know what happened for certain. What isn't conjecture is Kelly's results. He only ever won one race - the third race at Surfers' Paradise - and he never won a round outright. Compare that to Lowndes, who won five races and had four outright round wins, including Bathurst. Kelly is really seen as an undeserving champion.

Also, he's one of the sport's great whiners, probably only second to Garth Tander (though to his credit, Kelly doesn't blame the team when he gets a bad result, and then take all the credit when he gets a good one the way Tander does).
 
What would be really crazy is if PD were releasing V8 Supercars DLC coinciding with the cars launches today and Thursday!
 
What would be really crazy is if PD were releasing V8 Supercars DLC coinciding with the cars launches today and Thursday!

That's the dream :lol: though it could be likely that happens, I would be stunned after all the effort they put in to not let any Nissan fall out the game,
 
Also, a rear-wuarter view of the HRT:

REARMASTER_zps2d7252d0.jpg

That's the first decent rear 3/4 view of the VF Supercar I've seen, and I LIKE it.:drool: (The HRT version at least).
 
That's the dream :lol: though it could be likely that happens, I would be stunned after all the effort they put in to not let any Nissan fall out the game,
I'm not sure what the status of the V8 Supercars licence is. Codemasters had it, which is why the only V8 to appear in GT4 was Glenn Seton's 2000 Ford Credit Falcon ... but as far as I'm aware, there haven't been any V8 Supercars-related games since the TOCA series.
 
I'm not sure what the status of the V8 Supercars licence is. Codemasters had it, which is why the only V8 to appear in GT4 was Glenn Seton's 2000 Ford Credit Falcon ... but as far as I'm aware, there haven't been any V8 Supercars-related games since the TOCA series.

Hell in Australia the games where not called, "TOCA" - they were called "V8 Supercars".
 
Forza 3 & 4 both had 8 V8 Supercars each. Other than that, I haven't come across any V8's in a game since TOCA/V8 Supercars 3.
 
Someone told me it had changed.

Also (I'm bouncing around a bit here), I noticed James Moffat is #360, which makes sense given the connection to the sponsor. But I was under the impression that the FIA had said that there should not be any more three-digit car numbers when the series got "International" status. Although perhaps that was more a case of VESA being told to discourage it where possible, rather than prohibiting it outright.

Lowndes has been running 888 since the series has become known as the International V8Supercars so I see no problem with Moffat using 360.
 
Matthew77258
Forza 3 & 4 both had 8 V8 Supercars each. Other than that, I haven't come across any V8's in a game since TOCA/V8 Supercars 3.

iRacing has the Ford, and the V8 Supercar series on there uses the official logo. Must be some license there I guess
 
Yeah, and I think the AU is a Tickford not FPR if I'm correct. Still can't get over the missing GT & F6. I have all colours of both variants sitting in my GTPSP garage.
 
Jack Daniel Cars look a bit busy for my liking. Will have to see them on track first I think!

Still some of the most gorgeous liveries I have seen. Not just the Jack Daniels or the Norton 360 sponsored Nissan Motorsport cars. All of them. The FPR, HRT and the BJR cars.
 
At the risk of re-igniting an old debate, I believe it was deliberate. Lowndes had already lined up the move on Todd when Rick tapped him, which begs the question of what Rick was doing trying to go around Lowndes like that. The onus was on Rick to back off, and he should have known that if he continued with that line through that corner, he was either going to make contact with Lowndes, or run out of room and go off onto the grass. It's also suspect that he backs off the moment they made contact. Taken on its own, it looks like a racing incident, but when you look at it alongside the other incidents - Tander blocking him, Skaife forcing him off-line at a dangerous part of the circuit - there are perhaps one too many coincidences involved. Lowndes had been stronger all weekend, and only had to finish on the podium and ahead of Rick Kelly (even if Kelly himself was on the podium) to be champion. He was the favourite going into the race, and he got taken out by his main rival. Kelly strenuously denied any wrong-doing, but he never really lived it down.


Also, he's one of the sport's great whiners, probably only second to Garth Tander (though to his credit, Kelly doesn't blame the team when he gets a bad result, and then take all the credit when he gets a good one the way Tander does).
Now I dont think it was intentional, I doubt Kelly saw Lowndes going for the move. From his helmet he was just going for a move and got closed in.
There is a point about the coinicdences though.

As for Tander being a whiner, that is the most crap I've ever heard. You seen Bright?
And as for them taking all the credit, I regularly see R.Kelly and Tander thanking the team for doing a good job, what are you on about?:boggled:
 
Last edited:
Tander, R&T Kelly, and Brighty all notorious whiner's, all have been team mates to the biggest whining sook of the lot, Mr Mark Skaife, seems Patrizi and Webb are starting to cry out loud too,
 
Now I dont think it was intentional, I doubt Kelly saw Lowndes going for the move. From his helmet he was just going for a move and got closed in.
There is a point about the coinicdences though.

As for Tander being a whiner, that is the most crap I've ever heard. You seen Bright?
And as for them taking all the credit, I regularly see R.Kelly and Tander thanking the team for doing a good job, what are you on about?:boggled:

Wait...I didn't say that. :boggled:

I do agree with what prisonermonkeys said though, it's a bit iffy but we'll never truly know (thanks for the extended explaination by the way).

Tander has matured since his championship contention days, same with Rick (although that may have something to do with the fact he's part owner of the team), neither are perfect though.


On the licensing front, I'd be interested to see how the licensing works for the V8 Supercars, does it come under CAMS, the teams or the manufacturers?
Considering we have V8SCs on both iRacing and Forza and a history with Codemasters, I'd doubt it was exclusive.
It may come down to pricing, time and whether or not PD sees the series as relevant (considering PD doesn't give much love to GT classes other than SuperGT).
 
Now I dont think it was intentional, I doubt Kelly saw Lowndes going for the move. From his helmet he was just going for a move and got closed in.
At the very least, Kelly should have known that there was no way to pass Lowndes there. Drivers lining up for a pass into the hairpin tend not to make their move until they have cleared the long left-hander that precedes it. There's simply no grip on the outside, and it's a long way round; whatever position you make up will be lost on the straight down to the hairpin. You have to get the apex on the exit of the corner before you move over. Kelly always took that line throughout the weekend; the only time he went off the line was when he tried to "pass" Lowndes.

As for Tander being a whiner, that is the most crap I've ever heard. You seen Bright?
And as for them taking all the credit, I regularly see R.Kelly and Tander thanking the team for doing a good job, what are you on about?:boggled:
Listen to Tander's comments carefully the next time you hear them. He generally talks about how he had a really great race, and then thanks those around him for it. But if he gets a poor result, he'll criticise anyone around him (and not just the team) straight away. In short, it's never Garth Tander's fault when he has a bad race. As an example of this, look back to the 2011 Bathurst 1000. He got provisional pole in qualifying, and started talking up his chances when he was starting from the front row. But then he got rained out in the Top Ten Shootout, and attacked the organisers for the format and delaying the last few runs so that television audiences could watch all of the laps. On race day, he played down the importance of qualifying first - despite having cited it as a major advantage when he was on provisional pole the day before.
 
I've just realized I've somehow messed up the quote, my bad man! :p

As for the Bathurst qualifying in 11' imo it was just not fair for the top guys, I especially felt for Winterbottom/Richards.

All their effort in qualifying prior to the shootout for nought.
 
Last edited:
I was bored earlier and so decided to check out some old races on YouTube, when I had an awesome idea: someone should rebuild Amaroo (Amatwo?) Park.

Amaroo_map.gif


It might have only been small, but it was a fantastic circuit. If the circuit could be widened a little bit, and scaled up to be about 3.5km (instead of just 1.94km as it originally was), it would be a great addition to the calendar.



I also found this rare footage of a non-championship race in Wellington from 1996:



The circuit is horrible, but it showcases some fantastic driving.
 
Amaroo was a hoot in the day, but I don't think its upgradable to the standard of today's cars.
To be blunt, a lot of the tracks in the series aren't up to standard with today's cars.

That Wellington race looked nothing short of dangerous.
 
There was around 6 variations of that Wellington circuit, I think they go back to 1986,

Do they even use Amaroo park as a racing circuit any more?

Here's an oldie of the WTCC round at Calder Park,


 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back