Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,551 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
More artwork of Coulthard's car has been released, this time from the side - and I reckon it looks phenomenal:

LockwoodB_zpsabac08ac.jpg


Expecting pictures of the Erebus/Rosenberg liveries within an hour.
 
Wonder what Nissan thinks of that.

It's what I thought when The Kelly's joined with Nissan. I thought sure enough Red Bull will link up because they sponsored Rick. But guess what? Stoner c**k blocked that one. He's the bigger star. RB wasn't gonna let him go once he decided he was leaving MOTO GP and "thinking" about V8s.
 
Wonder what Nissan thinks of that.

Nothing it's not like Red Bull did badly before Infiniti started sponsoring them I doubt they would miss the money if they did throw a strop.
 
I thought sure enough Red Bull will link up because they sponsored Rick. But guess what? Stoner blocked that one. He's the bigger star. RB wasn't gonna let him go once he decided he was leaving MOTO GP and "thinking" about V8s.
Stoner has nothing to do with it. There have been rumours about Red Bull joining V8 Supercars for years, mostly because of their presence on Kelly's helmet. When it was announced that Kelly Racing would switch to Holdens for 2013, Red Bull were openly asked if they'd consider full sponsorhip of a car. They replied that they only wanted to be associated with an established team capable of winning, and they felt that there was too much uncertainty over the Nissan's performance to consider backing them.

Furthermore, Stoner was never going to join V8 Supercars full-time; he was only ever going to join the Dunlop Series, because there are no RECs available for Triple Eight to run a third car, and they openly said they would be sticking to two cars, even if an REC did become available. Considering that the Dunlop Series gets virtually no exposure, Stoner joining the category would not have done anything to sway Red Bull.
 
It's what I thought when The Kelly's joined with Nissan. I thought sure enough Red Bull will link up because they sponsored Rick. But guess what? Stoner c**k blocked that one. He's the bigger star. RB wasn't gonna let him go once he decided he was leaving MOTO GP and "thinking" about V8s.

Well, to be fair, Red Bull has a habit of attaching their name to whoever is at the top of the sport, and Triple 8 is defintely at the top of the V8SC ladder.
I doubt they'd risk going with Nissan, especially when they could have an already established team that constantly runs out front wearing their name.

Edit: Tree'd.

Speaking of Stoner, what are they going to do with him? Do you think he'll wait around for a spot to open at T8, or will he go elsewhere, or even back to bikes?
 
First image of the SP Tools Mercedes:

17604_443885012347529_790804651_n.jpg


600497_443885482347482_783626695_n.jpg


Speaking of Stoner, what are they going to do with him? Do you think he'll wait around for a spot to open at T8, or will he go elsewhere, or even back to bikes?
It depends on his success, mostly. If he's good enough to cut it in the main category, then he might get a ride with a team like Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport until such time as a Triple Eight drive becomes available.
 
17604_443885012347529_790804651_n.jpg


Not sure if I like it or not...

EDIT: Ninja'd
 
First image of the SP Tools Mercedes:

I'm not sure, the car itself from some angles looks pretty similiar to the Commodore.

The livery is alright, though I'm not sure about silver mixed with orange myself.

It depends on his success, mostly. If he's good enough to cut it in the main category, then he might get a ride with a team like Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport until such time as a Triple Eight drive becomes available.

Yeah, I was thinking something along those lines. I'm sure he'll adapt to the style, he has spent quite a few days hanging around at Red Bull F1.
It probably all comes down to whether or not he's going to commit himself to it.
 
Well, to be fair, Red Bull has a habit of attaching their name to whoever is at the top of the sport, and Triple 8 is defintely at the top of the V8SC ladder.
I doubt they'd risk going with Nissan, especially when they could have an already established team that constantly runs out front wearing their name.

Edit: Tree'd.

Speaking of Stoner, what are they going to do with him? Do you think he'll wait around for a spot to open at T8, or will he go elsewhere, or even back to bikes?

Red Bull F1 having Adrian Newey on the team certainly propelled them to those C'hips. I understand its their own team after changing hands but, they took a good gamble. The same can be said(even though it hasn't happened as they are in Commodores) for joining Nissan. With the right people in place the team can see success in the same time it took RB F1 to get where they are. It would seem logical for branding purposes with trying to spread The Infiniti brand. Especially if T8 switch to Nissan/Infiniti shells should Kelly Racing perform above expectations. But I guess that's one for Carlos Ghosn to think about if he cares( who knows?).


Matte black instead of orange would have been cool. Looks like a McLarens mercedes. Hmmm, I'll just have to wait and see them up close in March.
 
The IRWIN car looks much better than the SP tools car In my opinion.
 
Red Bull F1 having Adrian Newey on the team certainly propelled them to those C'hips. I understand its their own team after changing hands but, they took a good gamble. The same can be said(even though it hasn't happened as they are in Commodores) for joining Nissan. With the right people in place the team can see success in the same time it took RB F1 to get where they are. It would seem logical for branding purposes with trying to spread The Infiniti brand. Especially if T8 switch to Nissan/Infiniti shells should Kelly Racing perform above expectations. But I guess that's one for Carlos Ghosn to think about if he cares( who knows?).


Matte black instead of orange would have been cool. Looks like a McLarens mercedes. Hmmm, I'll just have to wait and see them up close in March.

That's very true. Although, F1 is a very different beast to touring car racing.

Well, the thing about that is though, the Kellys already had Jack Daniels as a sponsor, and perhaps Red Bull weren't willing to share sponsorship or pay for full sponsorship on four cars. I'm not sure where the Jack Daniels sponsorship was at, but it would of played a part.

Besides, from a business standpoint, having your name on the most successful team in recent history with two of (if not the best) drivers in the field makes much more sense than a gamble with a team with mediocre to good drivers with a rushed development programme and a much smaller operations unit.

I doubt T8 will switch brands at the moment, they get pretty good backing for a private team. But, I'm sure if the right offer comes onto the table, they'll consider it.

Here's the IRWIN car. I don't have a direct link to an image - will post one as soon as I find one - so it's a URL for now:

http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/02/14/first-pics-mercedes-benz-v8-supercar-unveiled/

I think that website crashed, can't open it at all...
 
Triple Eight were asked if they would switch brands, but you can bet Simon McNamara moved to give them as much money from Holden as he could justify the moment Mark Skaife announced that the sport was going to try and lure new manuacturers in.
 
Gallery of all three cars:

HHA design looks horrible.

Their insistance on having silver on all the cars really damage them.

The HHA looks abysmal, I'll agree with that.
 
Orange and silver look good.

Silver and blue look good.

Blue and orange look good.

However, orange, silve and blue do not look good.

I don't mind the SP Tools design, because it's got that black to break it up (and it looks wicked from the front) - but the HHA design looks like slabs of colour that have just been slapped on in five minutes with as little thought as possible put into it.
 
Orange and silver look good.

Silver and blue look good.

Blue and orange look good.

However, orange, silve and blue do not look good.

I don't mind the SP Tools design, because it's got that black to break it up (and it looks wicked from the front) - but the HHA design looks like slabs of colour that have just been slapped on in five minutes with as little thought as possible put into it.

I find the orange bonnet on the SP Tools car really harsh and uninspired.
The Irwin is ok, because it has a black buffer between the colours in the body, and there's not too much silver on there.

That HHA though is just awful. They may change these things by the time the season starts, but man is that icky...
 
That HHA car!:crazy:
 
Yeah, I don't get it how Betty was talking about working that purple into all the cars(GT&V8). Just gotta wait until Texas & Bathurst races to see if there are special liveries.
 
They obviously put effort in to Holdsworth's car but once it got to Engel and Slade they just couldn't be arsed.

Don't know how many more are to come but on the whole very good designs. Especially from HRT, Supercheap Auto Racing/Walkinshaw Racing (Ingall) and the Gary Rogers Holden's of Premat and McLaughlin. I think I like them all in their own ways apart from Mario Engel and Tim Slade and perhaps the Red Bull Racing Australia cars. Being Red Bull sponsored I think we all knew how it would look. Same as every other car that has Red Bull sponsorship. It does now what Gulf did the last 20-30 or so years.
 
To hear Dave Reynolds tell it, he was seriously mis-treated by the Kellys, who he suggests started out grooming him as one of the next big Holden stars, but ended up trying to control his career and refusing to let them compete with him. He got out because they wanted to succeed, but only on their terms - he had to surrender to them first, let them have all the resources they wanted to prove that he was a "team player", and then let them give him what they thought he needed when they thought he needed it.

No offence but this is the biggest load of crap Ive ever heard!! :lol::lol::lol:

Can you please show where David Reynolds has actually said any of this?? Because what you are saying is not the case at all!
 
I believe he said it in an interview with Auto Action.
 
That Merc looks a lot better than I'd anticipated, good show. I still prefer me the Holden though.:p
 
I do like the styling of the Mercedes. The Nissan is disappointing, though.

Anyway, Tekno are apparently unveiling their liveries at Sydney Motorsport Park tomorrow (Rod Nash Racing are also launching their car), which would seem to imply that Webb has found a sponsor. I've also heard that they are just interim liveries, with the final designs not being unveiled until the Clipsal 500.
 
The graphics designer for Erebus... Just no.

What you guys reckon is the nicest livery so far?
I'm gonna say the Coulthard or Ingall car hands down.
 
I believe he said it in an interview with Auto Action.

Yes Todd got annoyed at David over one incident. David never said they were 'trying to control his career', to ' succeed, but only on their terms' and he certainly never said 'he had to surrender to them first, let them have all the resources they wanted to prove that he was a "team player", and then let them give him what they thought he needed when they thought he needed it'. None of this is true
 
I seem to recall his manager saying that there was more to it than a simple disagreement "over one incident".

What you guys reckon is the nicest livery so far?
Personally, I like the Jeld-Wen, SP Tools and Lockwood liveries the best.

Then probably the IRWIN, Supercheap Auto, Norton and Fujitsu designs.

Then Jack Daniel's, BOC and Red Bull.

Then Heavy Haulage and HRT.

I haven't made up my mind about the Pepsi Max liveries. I love and hate them in equal measure, and so I think I'm going to need to see them in action before I make up my mind.
 
What you guys reckon is the nicest livery so far?

Pepsi for me. Second would be the Lockwood livery.

Red Bull and HRT are a bit boring, Jack Daniels I'm not sold on yet.

Those SBR/Erebus cars though...my goodness.
To be honest, the Irwin car is not that bad, because they darkened the silver and the colour scheme just blends a bit better, but the other two are just plain awful.
 
I have to say the Merc from some angles looks disproportionate
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back