Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,599 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
What you guys reckon is the nicest livery so far?

The simplicity of the Norton Nissan, and the awesomeness of the Pepsi cars have won me over so far. That said, there are a lot of great looking cars this year.

The HHA Mercedes receives my wooden spoon award. I could have designed something better with my eyes closed.
 
As someone who messes around with the livery editor alot on Forza 4 including creating a re-made SBR design, I have to agree, I dont get the HHA or SP Tools livery at all.
 
What you guys reckon is the nicest livery so far?

Can't choose. I am a big fan of Kelly Racing so I can't resist saying both teams. Norton 360 Racing and Jack Daniels Racing. But all bias aside assessing all the cars I would have to say Ingall's is my favourite livery so far.
 
The simplicity of the Norton Nissan, and the awesomeness of the Pepsi cars have won me over so far. That said, there are a lot of great looking cars this year.

The HHA Mercedes receives my wooden spoon award. I could have designed something better with my eyes closed.

Agreed:tup:

I also think Super Cheap Auto and HRT liveries look decent too
 
Everything looks ok to me. Put I'm easy to please. Everything I've seen so far beats out most NASCAR liveries I have to put up with every year.
 
The Mercs look darn good if you ask me, but the HHA livery is the worst.
What you guys reckon is the nicest livery so far?

Oh, I think you can guess my favourite. ;)

Supercheap and Norton liverys are a close second and third though.
 
Last edited:
841050_10151290232784506_307584778_o.jpg
 
^ That looks great, the black wheels really go well with it 👍
 
I agree!


Now, I find out Stoner is driving the RB V8 in the ultimate speed comparison. I was looking forward to an Erebus V8 vs AMG road car vs AMG F1. Vodafone is dead in V8s but, how did Mercedes not get the deal for all 3 racing against each other? Maybe I'll check F1 news...
 
The Chrysler 300C was unveiled as the category's new safety car - replacing the Nissan GT-R - on "Sunrise" this morning (because when I think of V8 Supercars, I think of David Koch [/sarcasm]), which has led to speculation that Chrysler want in, possibly as soon as the middle of the season; Mark Skaife has said that he wouldn’t be surprised if manufacturers make a mid-season debut so as to give them more time to develop a car, but to get their foot in the door before anyone else joins the party, because the sport has said five manufactureres is the maximum. Chrysler were previously tipped to enter as a full manufacturer, backing Garry Rogers Motorsport and reportedly came very close to a deal before backing out for reasons that were never explained.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they want in and V8 Supercars Australia want them in – that way, they would have two (semi-)domestic brands (Ford and Holden) competing against one manufacturer from Japan (Nissan), one from Europe (Mercedes) and one from America (Chrysler).
 
This is pure speculation, mind you - the only thing that is confirmed is that the 300C will be the safety car. The idea that this is as involved as Chrysler want to get is as equally-plausible as the idea that they are doing it to establish a presence in the sport, foreshadowing an entry as a racing team.
 
I thought the whole Chrysler/GRM thing was just specuation, but it would be great for the sport if they were to join.
 
That Lockwood car is maybe the best looking car so far IMO, with the Bottle O car a close second. Those black wheels look great. The worst looking car so far has to be that HHA Mercedes, it looks like it was beaten with an ugly stick.
I can't decide whether I love or hate the FPR liveries,maybe they'll grow on me like Murph's Pepsi cars.
 
No, Garry Rogers admitted that he had had talks with them, but things collapsed.

I have, however, heard that if Chrysler do enter, it won't be with GRM. This comes from the same person who claims that they are definately going to enter, but I have no way of verifying it.

I they are serious about entering, then three potential teams come to mind: DJR, Tekno and BJR.

Dick Johnson Racing are strapped for cash, and are pretty muchs ticking to Ford out of loyalty more than anything else. They tried to get a deal going with Mazda by getting Maurie Pickering on-board, but nothing happened and Pickering eventually backed out (possibly because it took too long for VESA to sort out the broadcast rights). Whatever the case, they're an established team, and have indicated that they would be willing to switch over.

Tekno have a pretty cosy relationship with Triple Eight at the moment, but Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport seem to be even closer - LDM have T8 chassis, T8's development driver (Scott Pye), T8's numbers, and even some of T8's sponsors. It might be easy to sway Tekno across, but they lack the facilities to build their own chassis (they're not an accredited COTF constructor), so they'd have to be a secondary team.

Brad Jones Racing have the facilities to build chassis, and have made it known that they would be willing to switch over. Before Erebus bought Stone Brothers Racing, BJR were linked to a switch to Audi (though there seemed to be nothing to this other than Jones' relationship with Audi when he was racing super tourers).

Everybody else is pretty much spoken for.
 
This is pure speculation, mind you - the only thing that is confirmed is that the 300C will be the safety car. The idea that this is as involved as Chrysler want to get is as equally-plausible as the idea that they are doing it to establish a presence in the sport, foreshadowing an entry as a racing team.

The 300C was a safety car for the V8SC when the first model debuted for quite a long time, it could be just a continuation of that.
There were rumours that Mazda were going to supply DJR as well, so we should probably wait it out until we get something with a little more concrete.

I'm not sure if Dodge recently exiting NASCAR may of discouraged the move to supply GRM, could be possible though.

Edit: Tree'd...again.

You raise some very interesting points though. If they did it, I'd say the most likely team would be BJR.
DJR would be far too much of a gamble, and would probably need a lot more support than BJR. BJR have established good relationships with sponsors and have a decent operation, so it would be the best fit of those three.
 
I'm not sure if Dodge recently exiting NASCAR may of discouraged the move to supply GRM, could be possible though.
If you'll allow me to break out my tinfoil hat for a moment ...

One of the major criticisms of NASCAR is that the cars themselves bear little resemblance to their road-going counterparts. And while the same can be said of V8 Supercars - the Car of the Future regulations are really turning it into a silhouette series - at least V8 Supercars actually look like the cars on the road. With the series gaining a widespread following overseas, and the inclusion of an American round for the first time, V8 Supercars could serve as the ideal playground for the Chrysler Group's motorsport activities. And with Car of the Future cutting the costs of building a car from around $600,000 to $250,000, it would be significantly cheaper than NASCAR. Part of me doesn't think it was coincidence that Chrysler were in talks to join V8 Supercars at the same time as Dodge was withdrawing from NASCAR.
 
If you'll allow me to break out my tinfoil hat for a moment ...

One of the major criticisms of NASCAR is that the cars themselves bear little resemblance to their road-going counterparts. And while the same can be said of V8 Supercars - the Car of the Future regulations are really turning it into a silhouette series - at least V8 Supercars actually look like the cars on the road. With the series gaining a widespread following overseas, and the inclusion of an American round for the first time, V8 Supercars could serve as the ideal playground for the Chrysler Group's motorsport activities. And with Car of the Future cutting the costs of building a car from around $600,000 to $250,000, it would be significantly cheaper than NASCAR. Part of me doesn't think it was coincidence that Chrysler were in talks to join V8 Supercars at the same time as Dodge was withdrawing from NASCAR.

Hmmm, I was thinking along the same lines as that, Chrysler and Dodge (before the FIAT takeover) were bringing cars down to Oz that were very hit and miss with the market. The only real success was the 300C, but when the new Commodores and Falcons hit, it was left in the dust.
It makes sense if this is foreshadowing to importing more cars down here, since they've been a raft of new manufacturers and models hitting the showrooms, it seems like an oppurtune time.

I can only see them entering V8SC if they were planning a large-scale marketing push for new cars in Australia.

Besides, considering Dodge had a Gen 6 car ready for this year, plus rumours of them trying to strike up a deal with Richard Childress, there's a chance they'll be back there soon anyway.

EDIT: While I'm on this roll, I think Chrysler would be more likely to join if, say, Fox Sports 1 (the former SPEED), would syndicate races to the US.
Considering they did broadcast Surfers Paradise the last 2 years (plus Bathurst in '11) I'd say this may be a possibility in the near future.
Or, this could work the other way round, it seemed like since the COTF was in the planning stage, there were talks of Chrysler coming into the sport. If Chrysler came into the sport with an American car, this would spike interest in the series in the US, therefore making TV deals much more likely and hence giving Chrysler exposure to a more relevant audience.

Who knows, either way it would only be good for the sport.
 
Last edited:
2013 Safety Car.
Screen-Shot-2013-02-15-at-4.42.11-PM-344x228.png
 
The safety car is and looks lame IMO.

Our of the 4 manufacturers (livery excluded), the Merc is by far the best looking car and the Nissan is not far behind. The Falcon looks terribly dated in this company.
 
prisonermonkeys
If you'll allow me to break out my tinfoil hat for a moment ...

One of the major criticisms of NASCAR is that the cars themselves bear little resemblance to their road-going counterparts. And while the same can be said of V8 Supercars - the Car of the Future regulations are really turning it into a silhouette series - at least V8 Supercars actually look like the cars on the road.

The Gen 6 NASCAR, however, looks a lot more like it's street-going counterpart than the COT did. Looking at the two series, I'd say its pretty close. V8SC is a bit closer to street, though.

With the series gaining a widespread following overseas, and the inclusion of an American round for the first time, V8 Supercars could serve as the ideal playground for the Chrysler Group's motorsport activities. And with Car of the Future cutting the costs of building a car from around $600,000 to $250,000, it would be significantly cheaper than NASCAR. Part of me doesn't think it was coincidence that Chrysler were in talks to join V8 Supercars at the same time as Dodge was withdrawing from NASCAR.

A NASCAR COT (I can't find numbers for a Gen 6) costs about $200,000 USD ( http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-racing/nascar/nascar-basics/nascar-race-car-cost1.htm ). I'm not sure what the comparative race weekends cost, but I can't imagine one series costing tons more than the other.

If I had to guess at it, I would say that Dodge leaving NASCAR was because of a major downswing in popularity, and Chrysler would want to wait and see if the CotF provides a equal and opposite upswing in popularity before joining in.
 
The Gen 6 NASCAR, however, looks a lot more like it's street-going counterpart than the COT did. Looking at the two series, I'd say its pretty close. V8SC is a bit closer to street, though.
The Gen 6 Nascars still don't have lights or doors, and the shape dosen't resemble the production cars much.
The V8's have all that and a shape that almost exactly (dimensions vary but the shape is still there) resembles the road going counterpart.
 
phil bell
The Gen 6 Nascars still don't have lights or doors, and the shape dosen't resemble the production cars much.
The V8's have all that and a shape that almost exactly (dimensions vary but the shape is still there) resembles the road going counterpart.

Which is why I said that the V8's were still closer to their road-going counterparts. I seriously doubt that NASCAR will ever have lights or doors again. Comparing the Gen 6 to the COT, though, it's a pretty big step forward.
 
The Gen 6 Nascars still don't have lights or doors, and the shape dosen't resemble the production cars much.
The V8's have all that and a shape that almost exactly (dimensions vary but the shape is still there) resembles the road going counterpart.

Comparison graphic from the Chevy SS and it's NASCAR counterpart:

15nascarssrevealed-opt-1354312003.jpg
 
That is remarkable data, because imo it doesn't look that way at all.
 
That's directly from GM.

Looks like the street car is taller, shorter, and obviously the Cup car B-pillar is further back.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back