Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,714 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah true, this doesn't bode well at all. I understand why Erebus would pursue this, van Gisbergen from what's reported flat-out lied to get out of his contract and then went to another team. Although, reports can be misleading.
I think it's too soon to judge him on the circumstances behind his departure. He'd originally said that he had had enough of the series, because there was too much political stuff going on behind the scenes and that he was just worn out because of it, with the end result being that racing wasn't much fun anymore. I haven't seen any evidence to contradict that theory, and I think a lot of people are assuming that he staged his own retirement to get out of a contract he didn't want to commit to, holding up his new agreement with Tekno as proof that he intended to deceive all along.

Who would they bring in to replace him?
I've heard a few ridiculous suggestions, such as Greg Murphy (who isn't even in Adelade, as far as I know), and Casey Stoner (who doesn't have the required racing licence - he was only allowed to compete in the Dunlop Series with special permission from CAMS).

I think the most-likely candidate to replace him - if it comes to that - would be someone from either the Dunlop Series or the Carrera Cup with experience in V8 Supercars. So there's a lot of potential drivers on offer: Taz Douglas, Andrew Jones, Dale Wood, Chaz Mostert, Daniel Gaunt, Cameron Waters, Warren Luff, Michael Patrizi, Nick Percat, Karl Reindler, Steven Richards and Steven Johnson.
 
Formation of aircraft just went over my house, it's always interesting on the Clipsal 500 weekend.
 
Given their Triple Eight connections they may go with Warren Luff to give him more practice for the enduros if SVG cannot race.
 
I think there may be rules in that regard so as not to give one driver an unfair advantage by having more track time.
 
And here it is.

Screen-Shot-2013-02-27-at-10.09.56-AM-344x233.png

http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/02/27/first-pics-casey-stoner-unveils-dunlop-series-racer/

Bigger picture.
2013stoner.jpg

Pirtek! :drool: Hopefully he does it justice :p.
 
Does anyone here know of any way I can watch the v8s this season in the states? I've caught a few races over the last few years and I would love to follow it regularly but speed only shows one or two races I think.
 
Does anyone here know of any way I can watch the v8s this season in the states? I've caught a few races over the last few years and I would love to follow it regularly but speed only shows one or two races I think.
In the past, they've re-broadcast the races a week or two after they have been run. And the sport's orgnaisers have a YouTube channel where they upload full races.

I'm guessing that there will be some kind of local, live broadcast planned when the series visits Austin in May as well.
 
I think there may be rules in that regard so as not to give one driver an unfair advantage by having more track time.

After reading the Sporting Rules (which can be found here) there does not appear to be any rules preventing him from driving.
 
Last edited:
In the past, they've re-broadcast the races a week or two after they have been run. And the sport's orgnaisers have a YouTube channel where they upload full races.

I'm guessing that there will be some kind of local, live broadcast planned when the series visits Austin in May as well.

Thanks man 👍. That's so awesome how they post the races on YouTube. I wish a lot more series did that sort of thing
 
Does anyone here know of any way I can watch the v8s this season in the states? I've caught a few races over the last few years and I would love to follow it regularly but speed only shows one or two races I think.

I pretty much explained it here, which was on the last page. ;)👍
 
Just let the guy race, all this crap is just plan non-sense. It seems like now they are staging a legal issue with Giz which to me shows they were going to for awhile but this is a low blow. If they wanted to it, that's fine and dandy BUT do it without looking like a shady move on their part.
 
I think it's too soon to judge him on the circumstances behind his departure. He'd originally said that he had had enough of the series, because there was too much political stuff going on behind the scenes and that he was just worn out because of it, with the end result being that racing wasn't much fun anymore. I haven't seen any evidence to contradict that theory, and I think a lot of people are assuming that he staged his own retirement to get out of a contract he didn't want to commit to, holding up his new agreement with Tekno as proof that he intended to deceive all along.

Oh no, I'm not ready to judge him, I do believe that there was something to that. He clearly had a form drop over time.
I can understand why people are saying that he 'retired' to get out of his contract, it looks bad and the timing is just a little too convenient. From where I sit, Erebus' threats and van Gisbergen's actions are both pretty bad. Although, I guess sitting around with no drive for a couple of months plays on your mind, I can easily see it just being a case of second thoughts.

That being said though, he does have a drive in the V8 SuperTourers, maybe that's where he was going for the year before Tekno gave him an offer?

I've heard a few ridiculous suggestions, such as Greg Murphy (who isn't even in Adelade, as far as I know), and Casey Stoner (who doesn't have the required racing licence - he was only allowed to compete in the Dunlop Series with special permission from CAMS).

I think the most-likely candidate to replace him - if it comes to that - would be someone from either the Dunlop Series or the Carrera Cup with experience in V8 Supercars. So there's a lot of potential drivers on offer: Taz Douglas, Andrew Jones, Dale Wood, Chaz Mostert, Daniel Gaunt, Cameron Waters, Warren Luff, Michael Patrizi, Nick Percat, Karl Reindler, Steven Richards and Steven Johnson.

I would say Taz Douglas would get the nod from that bunch.
You're right about those suggestions being ridiculous though, sheesh.

Just let the guy race, all this crap is just plan non-sense. It seems like now they are staging a legal issue with Giz which to me shows they were going to for awhile but this is a low blow. If they wanted to it, that's fine and dandy BUT do it without looking like a shady move on their part.

Well, the fact is doing it now means that they'll at least block him from racing at Adelaide (as prisonermonkeys said).
If they did it straight away, and lost, then their efforts were for nothing. Besides, doing it now gives more media attention, this can have a profound effect on proceedings.
 
Last edited:
I would say Taz Douglas would get the nod from that bunch.
I think there's a very good reason why Taz Douglas didn't retain his seat at Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport, despite their expansion to two cars this year, and their close relationship with Triple Eight - he just didn't do that well in 2012.

No, I'd be inclined to take Nick Percat or Chaz Mostert in van Gisbergen's place. They might not be as experienced as Douglas, but I think they've shown enough promise to warrant a start.
 
...No, I'd be inclined to take Nick Percat or Chaz Mostert...

I would agree except that FPR probably wouldn't let Mostert drive for a Holden team, and Walkinshaw Racing are not getting along with T888. Not to mention that they are both expected to win the Dunlop Series.
 
Not to mention that they are both expected to win the Dunlop Series.
Percat has left the Dunlop Series. He's racing in the Carrera Cup this year.

Furthermore, there is no rule that says a driver competing in the Dunlop Series cannot compete in the V8 Supercars on a race-by-race basis. A driver can't contest both seasons at the same time, but if a team needs a driver on short notice, they can recruit someone from the Dunlop Series if need be.
 
Percat has left the Dunlop Series. He's racing in the Carrera Cup this year.

Doh:banghead:

Furthermore, there is no rule that says a driver competing in the Dunlop Series cannot compete in the V8 Supercars on a race-by-race basis. A driver can't contest both seasons at the same time, but if a team needs a driver on short notice, they can recruit someone from the Dunlop Series if need be.

You are dead right as Scott Mclaughlin did so last year, the main point of my argument however, was that the teams they drive for are not likely to to permit them to drive for Tekno.
 
Just got home from a day at the track. So far it's shaping up to be a good weekend! Can't wait for the first V8 Supercar session tomorrow afternoon!
 
Cap'n Jack
Just got home from a day at the track. So far it's shaping up to be a good weekend! Can't wait for the first V8 Supercar session tomorrow afternoon!

I bet its a blast, how's merchandise look this year?
 
I bet its a blast, how's merchandise look this year?
I wouldn't have a clue, sorry! I don't really have any interest in motorsport merch, so naturally I didn't even look.
 
the main point of my argument however, was that the teams they drive for are not likely to to permit them to drive for Tekno.
Percat is no longer contracted to drive for Walkinshaw. And when van Gisbergen left SBR/Erebus, FPR tried to place him there, even though they were entering with Mercedes.
 
Oh man! Those Mercedes cars sound amazing!
 
Unless something changes quick, who wants to bet a Holden wins the championship this year?
 
Unless something changes quick, who wants to bet a Holden wins the championship this year?
Look at the lap times in detail. Jamie Whincup was fastest, with a 1:22.0021. Alex Davison was twenty-second, with a 1:22.9926 - less than a second slower than Whincup. Compare that to the first session, where only twelve drivers were within a second of Tander's fastest time.

It's way too soon to go writing the championship off.
 
And with the whole grid expected to be closer and faster come qualifying, I'm going to mighty annoyed if the commentators and journalists go saying things like " wow, he qualified 29th, maybe he is out of form" like they did to Jenson Button in F1 last year,
 
Unless something changes quick, who wants to bet a Holden wins the championship this year?

Preferably the one with Lowndes driving? :sly:
 
Mac K
Preferably the one with Lowndes driving? :sly:

I would be alot happier with that honestly, but hopefully things change.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back