Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,851 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, how can you call COTA "dull and lifeless" given the spectacular racing it produced last year?
 
Too bad they can't change to the Full configuration. That back straight would definitely raise some eyebrows and show us who has that small aero advantage. I'd love to see just how fast they could go in that distance.

It does remind me of Hockenheim just anti-clockwise. It's gonna be awesome though. Next week is just too far away.
 
Hopefully this will be a great event all together, I'm pretty darn excited.

I did found out there is a pit walk on Saturday from noon-12:30 which will be neat!

I have to study the seating a tad, since they say there is some grass sections. Might be nice to stretch out!
 
Another revised livery for Austin. This time it's Jonathon Webb’s Darrell Lea Commodore.
Webb-US-344x248.jpg


http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/05/12/revised-livery-for-webb-holden-in-us/
 
All brown and black would have been better.
Even like this
35469_10151333898809646_1713854758_n.jpg
 
The HRT livery works well on that car.
 
Last edited:
I find it a bit jingoistic, myself. The entire V8 Supercar paddock has embraced a race in America, and while some teams are even going so far as to include local sponsors in their liveries, here's HRT putting a prominent Australian flag on their cars. Some might interpret it as being patriotic, but it seems jarring in comparison to everything the other teams have done, like they don't want to be there. Simon McNamara has been a critic of overseas rounds in the past, and with Holden struggling financially, it wouldn't surprise me if this is his doing.
 
See below.
 
Last edited:
I find it a bit jingoistic, myself. The entire V8 Supercar paddock has embraced a race in America, and while some teams are even going so far as to include local sponsors in their liveries, here's HRT putting a prominent Australian flag on their cars. Some might interpret it as being patriotic, but it seems jarring in comparison to everything the other teams have done, like they don't want to be there. Simon McNamara has been a critic of overseas rounds in the past, and with Holden struggling financially, it wouldn't surprise me if this is his doing.

But what's the issue about being patriotic about where your? Plenty of teams do it.
 
Honestly I see no issue with it, while some teams are excited for this. I'm sure some old school purist want to keep it mainly an Aussie based sport too. It's similar to how NASCAR fans hated Toyota or dislike thought of races in other places.

On a good note, atleast Holden will be Holden not rebranded Chevy for the race. I didn't like that idea at all, people can pick up quick enough if they have issues. This week will fly by for me! I got so much to do to get ready but atleast today I get to relax to take GF and her little girl to the zoo.
 
I'm sorry, how can you call COTA "dull and lifeless" given the spectacular racing it produced last year?

Because its as dull and lifeless as, Bahrain, Austria, Turkey, Shanghai, and every other Tilke track I won't watch racing on,

They have the personality of a shoe!

I find it a bit jingoistic, myself. The entire V8 Supercar paddock has embraced a race in America, and while some teams are even going so far as to include local sponsors in their liveries, here's HRT putting a prominent Australian flag on their cars. Some might interpret it as being patriotic, but it seems jarring in comparison to everything the other teams have done, like they don't want to be there. Simon McNamara has been a critic of overseas rounds in the past, and with Holden struggling financially, it wouldn't surprise me if this is his doing.

Holden Racing Team are suppose to be the Factory team, If they didn't have an Australian flag on the car in some way I would be shocked, seeing as Holden is Australia's GM division..... Soon to be shut down,



Honestly I see no issue with it, while some teams are excited for this. I'm sure some old school purist want to keep it mainly an Aussie based sport too. It's similar to how NASCAR fans hated Toyota or dislike thought of races in other places.

On a good note, atleast Holden will be Holden not rebranded Chevy for the race. I didn't like that idea at all, people can pick up quick enough if they have issues. This week will fly by for me! I got so much to do to get ready but atleast today I get to relax to take GF and her little girl to the zoo.

Agreed, Though I hate Holden very much, I'm keen to promote Australian manufacture's, products, businesses, etc, we really are one of the great countries in the world and our products and value's are some of the best in the world, It annoyed me knowing that the U.S Got the Monaro and R8 as Pontiac's, and the rest of the world as Buicks, Chevy's etc,
 
But what's the issue about being patriotic about where your?
There's nothing wrong with it, but Holden have made an issue out of V8 Supercars being "theirs" in the past. When the COTF regulations were announced, along with plans to try and entice new manufacturers into the sport, Simon McNamara opposed it, claiming that there was nothing for new manufacturers in the category. When the series started expanding to international rounds in China, Bahrain and Abu Dhabi, he again opposed it. Now everyone is getting ready to go to Austin, and while most of the teams are embracing it and looking forward to it, HRT are using the Australian flags, and given McNamara's history of an "its ours" attitude, I can't help but think he's being more jingoistic than patriotic.
 
There's nothing wrong with it, but Holden have made an issue out of V8 Supercars being "theirs" in the past. When the COTF regulations were announced, along with plans to try and entice new manufacturers into the sport, Simon McNamara opposed it, claiming that there was nothing for new manufacturers in the category. When the series started expanding to international rounds in China, Bahrain and Abu Dhabi, he again opposed it. Now everyone is getting ready to go to Austin, and while most of the teams are embracing it and looking forward to it, HRT are using the Australian flags, and given McNamara's history of an "its ours" attitude, I can't help but think he's being more jingoistic than patriotic.

Well HRT dominated it for some time, from humble beginnings to what the sport is now,

The biggest issue when Mitsi wanted in was that the sport had grown so vast in the first 5 years of the category with investments from both Ford and Holden manufacture's, not just teams it appeared to be somewhat unfair for a new manufacture to walk in and evolve from the fruits of their labour, now Ford have all but pulled out, and Holden down sizing its investments into the sport the current change was inevitable, If Macnamara wants an all Holden grid that doesn't leave the country then Commodore cup seems more up his alley,
 
Well HRT dominated it for some time, from humble beginnings to what the sport is now,
That doesn't give them ownership over the series.
 
No I agree, but Holden and Ford did somewhat feel as if the championship was their baby, with how much they had invested into the sport, Mcnamara just sounds like a pelican,
 
I see no issue with the aussie flag on the HRT either.. looks good I think
 
Get a very delayed coverage here in the UK, just watched the 3 races at Perth. Congrats to Craig Lowndes on his 91st win
 
This week will fly by for me! I got so much to do to get ready...

I just have to do laundry. :p

But yeah, 3-day work week and then off to Texas on Thursday at 4am. :dopey:
 
Looks like the apprentice did the car.
How do you let it out the door with less than perfect alignment of the lines.
Looks pathetic.

:) I was referring to the HRT livery with my last post.

Regarding the new Darrell Lea livery on the Commodore, it'll probably look better in person. I wasn't a fan of the Pepsi Max livery but, when I saw them up close at the AGP, they looked awesome. I was thinking the transfer of the livery from the Aston(and yes, that person should have got a rap to the knuckles on that one) to the Commodore might stand out more or be more "racey".

To all the gtPlaneteers going to Austin: have a ball! It'll be cool to read your reactions and thoughts when you see the cars in action.
 
Last edited:
Scott Pye is also adopting a local sponsor for Austin, called - and I kid you not - Big Ass Fans.
 
The HRT car is pretty nice, and here are 2 more pics.
HRT_US_top_front.jpg

HRT_US_3qtr_rear.jpg



Plus, Here is Tim's car for Texas.

Heavy-Haulage-Australia-Racing-US-Livery_front.jpg

Heavy-Haulage-Australia-Racing-US-Livery_front.jpg
 
SPEED won't be showing any of the races live will they?
 
Plus, Here is Tim's car for Texas.[/FONT]
Heavy-Haulage-Australia-Racing-US-Livery_front.jpg

Heavy-Haulage-Australia-Racing-US-Livery_front.jpg
[/QUOTE]
YES YES YES!

@prisonersmonkeys, then you'd get a kick out of this
tumblr_m3ofbh2nyv1r5aq40.jpg
 
SPEED won't be showing any of the races live will they?

I saw an interview with Marcos Ambrose a couple days ago and he said they would be shown live, but I had access to cable this past weekend and didn't see any advertisements for it. Their website has V8's @ Austin on the schedule for Sunday, doesn't say if it's live though. Which means they would be skipping the races on Saturday...

http://www.speedtv.com/programs/australian-v8-supercars/
 
I assume that's the Texas star on the side of Slade's Merc? Looks pretty damn good.
 
I assume that's the Texas star on the side of Slade's Merc?
I'd say so. The Federation Star has seven points, one for each state and territory, but the star on Slade's car only has five points. And since it's not in the Southern Cross configuration, it's almost certainly the Lone Star.

It's a damn good livery, too - considerably better than his usual one.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back