Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,836 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
See? Todd ruined 2 drivers race. He must go!
To be honest I didn't see an issue with him putting the car in a wide open hole that closed up on him mid corner.
 
I'm not sure if my TV just glitched out or Whincup's rear wheels moved during that last pitstop?
 
Looked like he clipped the curb
 
I'm not sure if my TV just glitched out or Whincup's rear wheels moved during that last pitstop?
I saw it too, when he put it in gear. But I don't know if they would call him out on that.
 
Looked like he clipped the curb
He said he did - he deliberately went up onto the kerb to get his nose down the inside, which is legal. I'm guessing he went too far over, then got kicked back across the track when he tried to bring it back around.
 
I saw it too, when he put it in gear. But I don't know if they would call him out on that.
I guess there was nothing wrong if no action has been taken. At least it wasn't just me. :p
 
The wheels aren't supposed to spin until the car is on the ground, unless the team has permission to test the rears if they think they have a problem (usually a Watts linkage).
 
This has turned into a fantastic race, everything yesterdays races should have been and more.
 
This has turned into a fantastic race, everything yesterdays races should have been and more.
This is clear proof that the sprint races suck.
 
The Red Bulls were clearly fastest all weekend however it was Winterbottom that won the race with the most pionts
 
Nice result for HRT too, 5th & 6th. Pleasing to see both cars running in the top ten for most of the weekend. 👍
This is clear proof that the sprint races suck.

Yeah, more often than not the sprint races are just follow the leader for X amount of laps. Give me these longer races any day.

Edit: Aaron Noonan summed it up well on Twitter.
Moral to the V8 Supercars story today - grip in tyres gives drivers confidence to push. And variety of choice and strategy is good.
 
Last edited:
I guess there was nothing wrong if no action has been taken. At least it wasn't just me. :p

I believe the rule is that the wheels have to make one full rotation to be considered a breach and for a penalty to be handed out, as much as I hate Red Bull Racing I don't think they should be called out for that small rotation (not that they would have anyway).

Awesome finish but can't shake the feeling that SVG was actually trying to take Winterbottom out though, there was no way he was going to make an overtake that far back. I guess he could have put more force into it to actually make him spin but it just seemed a bit shady to me
 
Does he have a grandson that is Australian? :sly:

No but seriously, considering his current cup run I don't know if he should be worry about expansion. At least for Penske it makes sense.

I think it's more funding money and putting his name. His team isn't the strongest now but they aren't slow compared to that year they couldn't by a top 10. His team and all the ones who have help from them are running stronger this year like 13/47/78.
 
And from what he says, it's a decision motivated by business, rather than pursuing his love of the sport (which comes into it, but it's not the leafing factor). So long as he can break even, where's the harm?
 
I think it's more funding money and putting his name. His team isn't the strongest now but they aren't slow compared to that year they couldn't by a top 10. His team and all the ones who have help from them are running stronger this year like 13/47/78.

Yes but compare all his drivers currently to the rest of the crop, and then look at his drivers that are at others teams that were on his last year (e.g. Harvick). Menard is the only one making RCR look good, and his Grandson who many thought would be fast hasn't shown anything compared to Larson (Ganassi/Sabates backing). Also yes Newman still looks as consistent and fast as he was at SHR (maybe slower now) but Menard has had more top 5/10 finishes and more bad weekends.

Not to turn this into the NASCAR thread, but my point is that Childress is probably going to just be funding like you've said and I agree. Yet still he's probably going to make sure the right people are in their so the team wins but if it goes like his cup team then I am worried that it's just wasted money on a team that was already struggling (cause I doubt the top teams care).
 
Last edited:
Yes but compare all his drivers currently to the rest of the crop, and then look at his drivers that are at others teams that were on his last year (e.g. Harvick). Menard is the only one making RCR look good, and his Grandson who many thought would be fast hasn't shown anything compared to Larson (Ganassi/Sabates backing). Also yes Newman still looks as consistent and fast as he was at SHR (maybe slower now) but Menard has has more top 5/10 finishes and more bad weekends.

Not to turn this into the NASCAR thread, but my point is that Childress is probably going to just be funding like you've said and I agree. Yet still he's probably going to make sure the right people are in their so the team wins but if it goes like his cup team then I am worried that it's just wasted money on a team that was already struggling (cause I doubt the top teams care).

The thing is even if he doesn't, atleast it shows growth! I'm all for a push to get some nascar based folks into the action to up the grids. It will really help bring the sport to the US too in terms of viewers, maybe more making the trips to events depending on locations (still wish I had an idea of which ones next year so I can start planning).
 
The more overseas money, the better.

On a side note, it is a shame there was never a sub class of low boost Falcon F6's in the series. It would have been interesting to see how the better balanced I6 held up in competition.

Ahem! Anyway, Back on topic. Any interest/participation from any US based team is beneficial to keep V8SC afloat. It should not have taken this long. Imagine Bubble gum sponsorship on a V8SC. Maybe it wncourages more Aussie companies to join in: Bunnings, Dick Smith, Westpac, ANZ making a return. I welcome it.
 
DJR still awaiting a final decision from Penske. Townsville set as the deadline.
 
The idea is that Penske will buy a majority shareholding in the team, with the current owners retaining a minority stake. The DJR name will be kept, with the team rebranded as "DJR Penske". I'm guessing Tricky Dicky is looking to retire from team ownership - which makes sense; he's admitted that he's living off a pension to make ends meet.

Elsewhere, the Tony d'Alberto, Lucas Dumbrell and Triple F RECs will go out to tender. If Richard Childress wants in, I suspect he'll acquire one and run it out of Tekno. Or possibly pick up the Britek REC and join an alliance with Brad Jones.
 
Townsville set as the deadline.

Was half expecting an announcement when Penske himself was in the country a week or so ago, would have been a perfect opportunity. Still great news that this looks likely to go ahead.
 
Was half expecting an announcement when Penske himself was in the country a week or so ago, would have been a perfect opportunity.
DJR have said that was planned as the final round of talks, to sort out the last few details. It's up to Roger Penske now.
 
To me, Childress might be asking for a bit too much if he also wants an F1 team. Yet more international exposure would benefit the series greatly, because it's something that us (well at least me) Aussie race fans would like to see in the future. Roger Penske however???? Now that's a thought... But what would his role be?
 
James Warburton reckons VESA have had a lot of interest, both foreign and domestic, in the three RECs that are up for tender.

To me, Childress might be asking for a bit too much if he also wants an F1 team.
Childress doesn't want a Formula 1 team. Gene Haas does. And he has one.

Roger Penske however???? Now that's a thought... But what would his role be?
Team owner. He's looking to buy a controlling interest in DJR.
 
V8SC need more sponsors. With PENSKE coming in and the FOXTEL deal, they'll get them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back