Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,387 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like Van Gisbergen, where did he come from to earn a spot in the V8s anyway? I think Lee Holdsworth is better, but maybe that's because I'm a Holden man LOL.:sly: Holdsworth is still in the top 10, and unlike Shane he has won a round.:p
 
haha I think they all put their pit speed limiters on in that wet weather.

Shane Van Gisbergen, i think is a good driver, but I think his biggest test will be the mountain. I say bring on Bathurst

Just out of curiosity. When there is a v8 round on tv they usually show a montage for bathurst. Anyone know where I can obtain these?
 
Last edited:
Shane Van Gisbergen: Dominated the NZ Formula Ford Championship then went on to test for Stone Bros who signed him up, so basically skipped the development series stated racing for a struggling Team Kiwi outfit (so far in the S*** that they could only afford one motor for the Phillip Island weekend)

BTW Im also a Holden man but also a Proud Kiwi so im torn sometimes
 
Last edited:
So he did well in a relatively small open wheel category and all of a sudden he's racing main game V8 Supercars, I don't think he deserves the spot. Maybe the only reason they have him was because he was cheap.
 
Latest insanity on the proposed Homebush Bay round: a group of sports personalities and Kevin Gosper (I think) don't want the government to approve the round because they want the Sydney Olympic Park to remain a testament to the 2000 Olympic Games, essentially making it a museum. I'm willing to bet that it's still being paid for, but I'm sure Nathan Rees will get right on stymying the round simply so that some people can reminisce while the rest of of suffer a forced death march down memory lane and make up the difference with the proceeds from Sydney's other Olympic Park. It's not like he's got he's got better things to do, like making the state government look like something other than the circus sideshow it's currently resembling ...
 
He is actually on a long term contract like Winterbottom was and Ambrose was at the beginning of their time at Stone Bros. So were they chosen because they were cheap or maybe because they had amazing talent?
 
Motorsport is a lottery just like life is. Ross and/or Jimmy Stone obviously saw something in Shane, that enticed them to snap him up. I mean I'd never heard of James Courtney until Bathurst 05(?) when he wrecked the 2nd HRT car
 
Id heard a bit about him but not enough, but thats why they have talent spotters out there to find these young guns
 
Courtney went so far as to test in F1 didn't he? That shows talent, to even get a test at all his pretty good when it's F1.
 
Courtney went so far as to test in F1 didn't he? That shows talent, to even get a test at all his pretty good when it's F1.
I think Toyota might have given him a test-drive back during his JGTC/SuperGT days, but he chose to come ack to Australia to be closer to his family. I imagine a life like that could get very lonely sometimes.
 
Didnt he race for Jaguars F3 team as well as testing for their F1 team as well?
 
So basically he's had a lustrous career so far, just he kept it quiet to a lot of the world. Much like Jason Bright. I didn't know who he was till he was in HRT
 
Now that this years Kings of The Mountain have been crowned, it's time to see who'll be the Big Kahuna of Surfers Paradise. ;) Anyone here have any thoughts on the upcoming round?
 
Mark Skaife has announced His retirement for the end of the year. Extremely Possible HRT replacement driver "Wil Davison" (Traitor :sly:)

We are definately coming close to the silly season of V8's when drivers and teams get some shake ups.

Also Big rumour that Team Vodaphone could either run another badge next year or just race them as triple8 V8 Supercar Race Cars.
One reason :dopey:Ford:dopey: dumped them was because :dopey:Ford:dopey: did not like the amount of red they had on their cars.


IMO, Would be nice to see another manufacture badge in the sport.
If triple 8 are staying with vodaphone then maybe Toyota or Honda because they both use red. (and also because they could use more racing experience to help their F1 teams :):sly: )
 
I support HRT and it is a shame to see Skaife retire, but I think that crash at forrests elbow at this years bathurst 1000 was why he decided to retire.
 
Have to say, I'm not too broken up about Skaife retiring. He was my least favourite driver on the grid until Rick Kelly came along.
 
I support HRT and it is a shame to see Skaife retire, but I think that crash at forrests elbow at this years bathurst 1000 was why he decided to retire.

No its because Tom Walkinshaw is forcing him out of the team.
 
No its because Tom Walkinshaw is forcing him out of the team.

oh ok, sorry. Haven't read about it much yet. But that mistake at forrests elbow was quite a silly mistake though.
 
I heard Skaife today saying that he wasn't confirmed as retiring and he'll go when he's ready to, not before.
 
That usually means he may be wearing a different colour set of racing gear instead of HRT red. Don't believe this though it's just speculation lol
 
Weekend's racing at Surfers Paradise for all three races.

1) Wincup
2) Tander
3) Winterbottom

Not a hugely crashy race as usually is at Surfers. However still some very close racing for all three races. I dont think Tander would be too happy about the pit stop during the second race. (came in 3 seconds in front the next lap Wincup pits and then comes out infront of Tander by .5 sec or so. Big boo boo by HRT.) Also Hats of to Holdsworth for not tagging Wincup when he easily could have.

Well we will just have to wait for Bahrain in less than 2 weeks to see if Wincup can pull further away or will Tander / Winterbottom catch up. Lets just hope it's not a repeat of a year or two back when both Vodaphone cars got badly taken out by Morris.
 
Lets just hope it's not a repeat of a year or two back when both Vodaphone cars got badly taken out by Morris.
Being taken out by the HRT and HSV cars in the final round would be a bigger concern.
 
Being taken out by the HRT and HSV cars in the final round would be a bigger concern.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I now have pains in my side from reading this. Would that be Deja Vu. :)
 
No, that would be cheating on the part of HRT and HSV. :lol:

Go Whincup and Frosty! :)
 
No, that would be cheating on the part of HRT and HSV. :lol:
Yes, and they clearly demonstrated that they were above that during that race at the Island. Skaife didn't try to run Lowndes off the road, he just didn't see him. Tander didn't block Lowndes so that Kelly could catch him up, Lowndes had a powerful magnet in the front of his car! Rick Kelly didn't push Lowndes off he road, he was just aiming to go off the road all by himself and Lowndes got in the way! Todd Kelly didn't do anything, but I'm sure he's innocent of all charges because he drives a Holden!

No, HSV and HRT are clearly above cheating.
 
Valid points, but the incident(s) were all a bit too coincidental for many of us, hence the cheating suspicions. ;)
 
It was the most disgusting display of cheating motorsport has seen since Jerez 1997, but unfortuantely, they got away with it. If Rick Kelly was as good as the number one on the side of his door that he won implied, he would have known that the ine he was taking into the corner would have either taken him directly into Lowndes or led to an off-track caper. If I had been in a position to penalise them, I would have crucified the four Holden drivers and their respective teams. I may not have liked Holden, but at least I had respect for them until that weekend. Now I think it's embarrassing that they call themselves Australian, evenif it's two year after the fact.

I just hope nothing of the like ever happens again.
 
Yes, and they clearly demonstrated that they were above that during that race at the Island. Skaife didn't try to run Lowndes off the road, he just didn't see him. Tander didn't block Lowndes so that Kelly could catch him up, Lowndes had a powerful magnet in the front of his car! Rick Kelly didn't push Lowndes off he road, he was just aiming to go off the road all by himself and Lowndes got in the way! Todd Kelly didn't do anything, but I'm sure he's innocent of all charges because he drives a Holden!

No, HSV and HRT are clearly above cheating.

It was the most disgusting display of cheating motorsport has seen since Jerez 1997, but unfortuantely, they got away with it. If Rick Kelly was as good as the number one on the side of his door that he won implied, he would have known that the ine he was taking into the corner would have either taken him directly into Lowndes or led to an off-track caper. If I had been in a position to penalise them, I would have crucified the four Holden drivers and their respective teams. I may not have liked Holden, but at least I had respect for them until that weekend. Now I think it's embarrassing that they call themselves Australian, evenif it's two year after the fact.

I just hope nothing of the like ever happens again.

Ditto Ditto Ditto Ditto, Could not agree with you more on this one, It was an utter disgrace.
 
Yes, and they clearly demonstrated that they were above that during that race at the Island. Skaife didn't try to run Lowndes off the road, he just didn't see him. Tander didn't block Lowndes so that Kelly could catch him up, Lowndes had a powerful magnet in the front of his car! Rick Kelly didn't push Lowndes off he road, he was just aiming to go off the road all by himself and Lowndes got in the way! Todd Kelly didn't do anything, but I'm sure he's innocent of all charges because he drives a Holden!

No, HSV and HRT are clearly above cheating.
Yes and lowndes wasnt riding the brake ALL the way down the straight and give kelly plenty of room when he had an overlap and didn't park his car ACROSS the racing line when there was another 20 cars driving on it because he is gods gift to aussie motorsport :rolleyes:
 
I didn't say that he was not guilty, just less guilty. And the fact that he's not an absolute ****ing disgrace. Seriously, it was like Holden fans calling for the Bathurst race after Brock died to be rigged in Holden's favour: if I were Brock, I'd have been ashamed to say I had ever driven for the marque after that disgusting display of cheating. Rick Kelly was the most undeserving champion in the history of motorsport: not a single round win, but he takes the title after deliberately pushing a rival off. Mark Skaife has had his fair share of incidents, like when he ignored safety precautions that year at the Creek when he stayed within the circuit's bounds to shake his fist at Ingall for an accident that was Skaife's fault. And Tander isn't much better, what with trying to manipulate the outcome of races so his pre-pubescent team-mate could win or whine that his retirement wasn't his fault.

Tander, Skaife and Rick Kelly are the Unholy Trinity of motorsport. They essentially defeceated all over the spirit of the sport when they decided to cheat simply so that they could win. Rather than the best man winning, it's become a case of the man with the best friends winning.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back