Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,450 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I don't think anyone will ever dominate again like they did in that time.
 
As much as I hate to say It I think Whincup with the aid of lowndes and the rest of the team, could come close to dominating like HRT did
 
I agree. I don't think anyone will ever dominate again like they did in that time.
When I was a kid, I seem to recall seeing a story shortly after Ford fell from prominence where the Powers That Be made Ford shave a few millimetres off their undercarriage or the rear wing or something in an effort to reduce the gap between them and the Holdens. When the Holdens started dominating, the Ford teams suggested a similar modification to their cars to correct the over-compensation, and the Holdens had to remove two millimetres off a certain part. It had no effect, but every time the Ford teams lobbied against it, they were told that the Holdens had made sufficient changes to level the palying field. Maybe it's why I hate Holden so much; I always saw it as being a case of the Holdens being given better cars under the rules to keep them in front of the Fords, which just seemed to unsporting that it was un-Australian of them.

But it was so long ago and the details so hazy that maybe I made it all up ... I'm pretty sure the turn-about shavings happened, though.
 
When I was a kid, I seem to recall seeing a story shortly after Ford fell from prominence where the Powers That Be made Ford shave a few millimetres off their undercarriage or the rear wing or something in an effort to reduce the gap between them and the Holdens. When the Holdens started dominating, the Ford teams suggested a similar modification to their cars to correct the over-compensation, and the Holdens had to remove two millimetres off a certain part. It had no effect, but every time the Ford teams lobbied against it, they were told that the Holdens had made sufficient changes to level the palying field. Maybe it's why I hate Holden so much; I always saw it as being a case of the Holdens being given better cars under the rules to keep them in front of the Fords, which just seemed to unsporting that it was un-Australian of them.

But it was so long ago and the details so hazy that maybe I made it all up ... I'm pretty sure the turn-about shavings happened, though.

I can still remember that was, like you a kid at the time, but if you look at the development series, which was in its infancy the AUs dominated for many years,

On the flipside in the early days of the V8 catagory (1993) there was a clear Ford dominance until late in the season Holden got a new aero package and became competitve it got so bad that the BMW M3s were beating them, Seton claiming his first title, the next year it was even though Mark Skaife claimed the title. The parity rules wont stop as long as there are more than one person making the cars not just individual teams

Thanks historical DVDS 👍
 
So ... when are the other teams releasing their title contenders? I know there isn't much diference from year to year like in Formula One, but I do like to see the new liveries and driver changes before the Clipsall 500 because it makes it much easier to identify who is who.
 
So ... when are the other teams releasing their title contenders? I know there isn't much diference from year to year like in Formula One, but I do like to see the new liveries and driver changes before the Clipsall 500 because it makes it much easier to identify who is who.

Yeah, it's kinda frustrating that there appears to be no info on any of the teams around this time of the year. It seems like they're even more secretive than the teams in F1.
 
Yeah, I agree. I'm desperate to know what's going on but no-one wants to share it this year. I know more about whats happening in F1 this year.
 
Yeah, it's kinda frustrating that there appears to be no info on any of the teams around this time of the year. It seems like they're even more secretive than the teams in F1.
I think it's more the fact that the changes between models of the cars isn't exactly what you would call dramatic. When Reault unveiled the R29 a few weeks ago, everyone was all over it because of the profile of the nosecone, but the change from the '08-spec Falcon and Commodore to the '09-specs is hardly as dramatic. There may be a few cosmetic changes and the odd performance upgrade somewhere, but there's nothing dramatic about it.

A quick check of the Wiki page for the 2009 V8 Supercar season gives the basic changes, with Britek and PWR disbanding and the licences to run thoe cars going elsewhere. And then there's the traditional game Musical Racing Seats, with Davidson replacing Skaife at HRT, Courtney replacing Davidson at DJR, and Davison replacing Courtney ar SBR, but it helps to see it unveiled because then you know who is driving for who. Both HRT and SBR are picking up additional racing licences to field three-car teams - probably a result of Ford and Holden announcing that both teams will be the only ones to get funding - but it's not the same.

Besides, I like to see the new liveries, even if it is something inconsequential to the performance of the cars.
 
Ha i was at Toombul Centro last friday and i met Jamie Whincup it was his 26th b'day and he is a legend i have met him on a number of occassions at events other then the actual V8 Supercars!
 
Awesome stuff. Its really hard to find and talk to the drivers at V8 Supercar events.
 
FPR have released their 2009 cars. I like the way the two cars look identical head-on, but the liveries on the sides are totally different.
 
I don't like the FPR liveries very much. I like the look of the HRT cars a lot more than the FPR cars. The FG certainly doesn't look as tough as the VE as well.
 
It doesn't need to. The VE strikes me as having been built to look aggressive on the circuit, but that doesn't guarantee it a modicum of success.
 
its not that bad really, with the blue being the main colour of both cars giving the FPR team a corporate identity, something that has been missing the last few years
 
It doesn't need to. The VE strikes me as having been built to look aggressive on the circuit, but that doesn't guarantee it a modicum of success.


I know, i'm just saying it looks better. But as we know just because it looks good it may not be faster. As we saw last year. Holden got a bit of a flogging.:nervous:
 
The Coulthard #111 car looks really good and striking and kinda looks like Lowndes old #00 AU Falcon with the green headlights
 
Coulthards car last year looked better..... lol I think Van Gisbergen is the best out of them... HRT though overall. I bet 888 makes the FG look good
 
Probably just a slight alteration on last years cars (just the addition of a #1 on the side) with no major change in sponsors and they've had the same livery for a while now
 
True, but last year they added black into the red and silver.
 
I am a little suprised the Kelly Brothers are not included in this LIST as of yet

But they are on this list. Driver entry list for Clipsal500 which begins in 21 Days. Yay!

Interesting to see that Kelly Racing has Four cars being entered. Maybe its a typo because Perkins Racing is not there.

Also there is only 12 Fords this year against 18 Holdens
 
Last edited:
The Walkinshaw livery is pretty boring, but I don't mind the Sprintgas livery. On the topic of new cars, here's the new 888 machine. Note how there's no Ford badge. ;)

4.jpg

3.jpg
 
I won't be going to the Clipsal. Relatives are coming over and we just won't have the time or money to travel to Adelaide. :(
 
I like the 888 livery. FG looks best on that car too. I think it's funny how it doesn't have Ford anywhere on it. But it makes sense since they aren't sponsoring 888 this year.
 
Actually, I'm quite disappointed with it. Last year's livery looked mean, but this one looks pedestrian. There's also a whole heap of other liveries viewable here. This is what I think of all of them:

Coulthard (#111) / Patrizi (333): Doesn't look bad at all, but the angle of the shot makes the Wilson Security logo look a little funny.

Van Gisbergen (9): Isn't too bad either, but something about that shade of purple doesn't look right to me. Maybe it's the way the angles conflict with the curves of the car ...

Richards (8): I've never been a fan of predominantly white cars, but the BOC entry has enough red and blue in the mix to endear it to me a little. Not my favourite, but certainly not a bad car.

Tander (2) / Davidson (22): HRT isone of my least favourite teams on the grid. It always struck me as being deeply arrogant of them to assume the number two for their lead driver if the champion's team-mate didn't take it. That said, it's a nice livery and certainly better than last year's.

McConville (12): Looks good, but the red comes across as being funny. That said, red doesn't photograph too well (it appears a page or two later on those forums and looks far better as the red is deeper). I'll probably ignore it on the circuit, as the WOW Racing car never seems to do anything.

Winterbottom (5) / Richards (6): All I can say is that the two FPR cars look like something I might find if I purchased a Scalaterix set. Frosty's is the better of the two, as the green and blue of Richo's doesn't do it for me.

Holdsworth (33) / Caruso (34): Vomit, vomit, vomit. It looks like the car is three years old, probably because the livery has hardly changed in that time. Easily the worst on the grid (so far).

Bargwana (3) / Murphy (51): The SprintGas cars look fantastic, so much so that I wouldn't mind seeing them out front this year. That said, I can't stand Murph (I remain convinced he is one of the most dangerous drivers on the grid as I'm sure he pushed Ambrose off the road that year at Bathurst), and I've never through much of Bargs; he always just seemed laboriously slow.

Davison (4): Looks far better than the van Gisbergen machine, but I'm worried about the team's future ... the liveries might look top-notch, but SBR have a pair of unknowns driving for them this year. Maybe it's just because I've come to associate IRWIN with Marcus Marshall's #26 entry from last year and his lack of results.

Reynolds (24): The best of the Holdens! Makes me want to go out and have some Bundy Red right now ...

Bright (25): The lime green an black makes me think of old-school liveries for some reason. Should be easy to spot on the circuit, but like Marcus Marshall, I've come to assoicate Britek with the tail end of the grid.

Todd Kelly (7): Another great-looking Holden simply because it's so simplistic. The black and white has a kind of elegance to it.

Perkins (11): Ugh. Almost as bad as GRM ...

Dumbrell (10): Looks a lot like the PCR entries, really. The people on the foum rave about it, but Coultard and Patrizi were the first people I thought of when I saw it. Doesn't stop it looking good, though.

Whincup (1) / Lowndes (888): What happened!? Last year looked phenomenal, this year is pedestrian. I'm hoping it's just the red photographig funny, but the chrome of the car just look barren without the back highlights. The concet posted elsewhere on those forums looked better, kind of like the GRM concept compared to the actual livery.

So that just leaves Bright (we can oly see half as it's apparentely only half-done), the Pr!ck in number 15 and Dale Wood in number 16, the two DJR entries, Super Cheap Auto, TKR, Tony D'Alberto and IntaRacing left to unveil their cars.

Also, it has been confired that Jacques VIlleneuve will NOT be driving for Paul Morris this season; the second seat is going to Tim Slade.
 
The 888 livery is pretty much EXACTLY the same as last year......... how boring.

Must have not had enough money left over to design a new one hah
 
Can't you see they spent $200,000 on that pig, on the grill (excuse the pun) for each car?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back