Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,480 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah Ford is doing better, putting less money in and getting great results, they should remove some more money!
 
When Holden were dominating they did try to make a change, but it wasn't enough and the Holdens were still faster. That was the VT/VX days.
That's the answer right there.... bring back the VT's and VX's haha
 
That's the answer right there.... bring back the VT's and VX's haha

:lol: Great idea.

Wow, I really caused a stir didn't I?
 
To the Ford fans:
When Holden were dominating they did try to make a change, but it wasn't enough and the Holdens were still faster. That was the VT/VX days. Don't even think about using Holden's 7-in-a-row Bathurst wins as an example either, as the majority of those years a Ford very comfortably won the championship. I do think there are parity issues, and I think it involves aerodynamics. To say the Holden teams aren't as professional is rediculous when you still have teams like HRT, GRM and Jim Richards involved with Jack Daniel's still (I think). To say those guys, who have been in the game for decades now are un-professional is quite ludicrous.

I would be very very surprised if a Holden wins a single race this year unless a change is made.

I would have to say that being that Holden have won 9 Championships and Ford have won 7, since the Supercar inception of 1993.
I think it would be good for spirit of competition that Ford win again.

Data taken from here
1993-2008
Year Driver Car

2008 JAMIE WHINCUP FORD FALCON BF
2007 GARTH TANDER HOLDEN COMMODORE VE
2006 RICK KELLY HOLDEN COMMODORE VZ
2005 RUSSELL INGALL FORD FALCON BA
2004 MARCOS AMBROSE FORD FALCON BA
2003 MARCOS AMBROSE FORD FALCON BA

2002 MARK SKAIFE HOLDEN COMMODORE VX
2001 MARK SKAIFE HOLDEN COMMODORE VX
2000 MARK SKAIFE HOLDEN COMMODORE VT
1999 CRAIG LOWNDES HOLDEN COMMODORE VT/VS
1998 CRAIG LOWNDES HOLDEN COMMODORE VS/VT

1997 GLENN SETON FORD FALCON EL
1996 CRAIG LOWNDES HOLDEN COMMODORE VR
1995 JOHN BOWE FORD FALCON EF
1994 MARK SKAIFE HOLDEN COMMODORE VP
1993 GLENN SETON FORD FALCON EB


I'm not saying the top Holden teams are unprofessional, they're doing very, very well but it seems to me that teams like FPR, 888 and DJR are doing things better at the moment. Perhaps "professional" wasn't the word I was looking for a few posts ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Holden could win. Will Davison has been very strong, surprisingly stronger than Tander and I think he could quite possibly get his second race win early in the season.

I think Will Davison can definately win a few here and there this year.
I would also (not literally) put money on GRM (probably Holdsworth) winning one or two aswell. Very stong car, for a Holden :sly:

Oh yeah Ford is doing better, putting less money in and getting great results, they should remove some more money!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Yeah but if the remove any more money, Ford would have the top 12 spots every race :)

That's the answer right there.... bring back the VT's and VX's haha

Although If i remember some of them were not in very good condition. Lowneds at Calder comes to mind.
 
The AU Falcons weren't so special either though..... Ambrose at Canberra 2002 car couldn't even hold it's wheels on haha
 
The AU Falcons weren't so special either though..... Ambrose at Canberra 2002 car couldn't even hold it's wheels on haha

That was the best I have seen in a long time. Great to see Ambrose get beat by his tyre. And I loved Barry Sheene comments during the telecast.
 
:lol:, some funny posts coming through here.:sly:
 
:lol: Yeah Paulie.

Here's the video for anyone who doesn't know what happened.
 
Stupid 🤬 just as I expected the go-fast tyres are a rediculous addition to the championship only creating accidents.:grumpy:
 
What he hell was that!? Perkins should KNOW that if you're a lap down, you don't race for position! Sure, he might have been on the better tyre, but he was at risk of wiping the race leaders out with that dumb-arsed move.
 
What he hell was that!? Perkins should KNOW that if you're a lap down, you don't race for position! Sure, he might have been on the better tyre, but he was at risk of wiping the race leaders out with that dumb-arsed move.

My point again, having these faster tyres makes the drivers think they have right of way. One tyre fits all thanks.
 
My point again, having these faster tyres makes the drivers think they have right of way.
No, that's not it at all. I suspect that Perkns would ahve done the same even if he were on the control. He migh be the Son of Larry, but that doesn't mean he's the brightest spark out there.

One tyre fits all thanks.
Sure. If you want racs to be a procession. Shouldn't the likes of Slade, Reynolds and Marshall deserve a chance to prove themselves? For all we know, they could be the Next Big Thing in the sport, and the option tyre keeps the racing close. Or would you prefer if they were circulating at the back in order of speed?
 
No, that's not it at all. I suspect that Perkns would ahve done the same even if he were on the control. He migh be the Son of Larry, but that doesn't mean he's the brightest spark out there.

Sure. If you want racs to be a procession. Shouldn't the likes of Slade, Reynolds and Marshall deserve a chance to prove themselves? For all we know, they could be the Next Big Thing in the sport, and the option tyre keeps the racing close. Or would you prefer if they were circulating at the back in order of speed?

Err, if they're constantly circulating at the back and never improve then they're not the next big thing. How does giving them faster tyres help at all? Additionally, it was the sprint tyre that also made Coultard think he could just push Tander out of the way in race 1 simply because he was on the faster tyre.
 
I think you'll find that Symonds Plains will have less tyre-related madness now that everyone knows the limitations of the option tyres so they'll be able to plan strategies a little better.

Err, if they're constantly circulating at the back and never improve then they're not the next big thing. How does giving them faster tyres help at all?
And how does having one single tyre help things at all. Jamie Whincup won the first four races without anyone getting near him; surely you don't want the sport to be like that. It happened with mark Skaife and it got boring. It happened in Formula One with Michael Schumacher, and it got boring, too. Having a control tyre does nothing whereas having the option not only allows the little guys to come to the fore, it also makes the top drivers work a little bit harder for race wins.

Or are you just the kind of guy who thinks the racing is only goodwhen it's a Holden out front and everything else is a disaster?

Additionally, it was the sprint tyre that also made Coultard think he could just push Tander out of the way in race 1 simply because he was on the faster tyre.
I'd say it's far more likely Coulthard was in Tander's blind spot so Tander never saw him and Coulthard had nowere to go because he was committed to the corner. Coulthard was actually pretty impressive racing for the Paul Cruickshank outfit last year. But you wouldn't have noticed because he was down the back. If you're looking for a driver who is more likely to punt into another one, look at Garth Tander and the way he usually seems to bear a few battle scars by the end of the race. You can't tell me his bent bonnet was someone else's fault.
 
HAH, won't even bother justifying your post with a response.
 
Which either means you've got nothing to respond with, or I was right about you only being happy when a Holden is out front. Maybe both.
 
Which either means you've got nothing to respond with, or I was right about you only being happy when a Holden is out front. Maybe both.

No, it means your post is so stupidly off course, I don't have to continue the conversation because you've already proven how little you know and how incorrectly you think.
 
No, it means your post is so stupidly off course, I don't have to continue the conversation because you've already proven how little you know and how incorrectly you think.
All I did was state that I think the option tyre is a good thing because it has already shown that it allows for closer racing. Just because this conflicts with your opinion that option tyres are a bad thing - for reasons you never really did define - does not mean I know nothing about it. Presenting your opinions as fact is never a good way to endear yourself to someone or to give your argument credibility. I admit, I deliberately posted stuff bashing Holden because it's obvious you're a Holden man. I did it because I wanted to see which way you'd jump. And you didn't do very well.

Me, I don't much care for the red or the blue. I used to be a Ford man, but then I lost interest in the sport. It's only recently that I've started watching - and by recently I mean the past few years - and now my line is that I don't care who's out the front, just so long as the race is good. To me, anything that makes the race closer, with more passing and more competition - like the option tyre - can only be a good thing. Because I'm sick of a championship where only one man can win anything.
 
No, you stated that I'm a Holden fanboy that doesn't care what the racing's like so long as Holden is winning, and that Tander is a dirty racer, which set the tone for the rest of your post IMO. I never presented my opinion as fact.

In other news, going by the sports section on the news there's finally going to be an investigation into Team Vodafone's front spoiler, I suspected they had an aerodynamic advantage, let's see.
 
Funny that the last sentence I posted "set the tone" for the rest of my post. Are you in the habit of reading everything backwards? I never said Tander was a dirty racer, I said that he's more likely to come out of a race with battle scars than the others because he tends to play a little rougher than the other boys. And in case you missed it, I was baiting you when I suggested - but never specifically stated - that you were only happy when a Holden was out the front. Your aggressive reaction followed by a hyper-defensive response suggest that you are.
 
And in case you missed it, I was baiting you when I suggested - but never specifically stated - that you were only happy when a Holden was out the front. Your aggressive reaction followed by a hyper-defensive response suggest that you are.

Or perhaps given my history on this forum you could forgive me if I don't trust your intentions or your thoughts about me.:grumpy:
 
wow.....



...... ok Easy kids... Shake hands and say sorry


Startegy. Can anyone say the word "Strategy"? The new tyres have done what they're intended to do. Spice things up. Teams have grasped it where others haven't. It's very good to see Dumbrell in the thick of it..... for a while.... I however do not condone what Jack Perkins did. I have no quarrel with getting a lap back, but not like that

Just a thought. I don't know what the ruling is on these new tyres, but how come no one thought of putting the new tyres on the front and control tyres on the back? Ok you wouldn't get the drive but cornering would be fantastic
 
I didn't actually watch race 2, so I didn't see what Perkins did. I'm guessing it was stupid.
 
Perkins came charging out of Pit Lane having just switched onto the option tyre, so there was no time for them to warm up. He was right in front of the main battle pack of Lowndes, Dumbrell and Winterbottom as the three were catching Jason Richards (who was first on the road, but yet to make a stop and on dying rubber). Going down into turns one and two, Perkins decided to hold the line and race for position, despite the fact that Richards had just passed him, putting him down a lap. Craig Lowndes was forced to go around the outside of turn two, but Perkins closed the door. It could have gotten very messy, very quickly, but Lowndes backed off and lost the postion he'd just taken from Dumbrell. For the next few laps, Perkins continued to race for position as his tyres came good. He kept blocking Lowndes, and Winterbottom was able to catch up. Channel Seven caught a transmission from Lowndes, who was livid that Perkins was fighting despite pretty much having lost the right to do so. No blue flags were shown because of an error in race control that meant the timing monitors weren't working properly. Eventually Perkins got by Dumbrell and returned himself to the lead lap, but his stupidity jeopardised the races of Dumbrell, Lowndes and Winterbottom, all of whom could have been taken out in the first two corners.
 
Silly Jack.:rolleyes:
 
"I don't care about the guy in front (Dumbrell) I'm worried about the guy behind (Perkins)" Message from that came from Lowndes to his team after finally getting past Jack
 
...Just a thought. I don't know what the ruling is on these new tyres, but how come no one thought of putting the new tyres on the front and control tyres on the back? Ok you wouldn't get the drive but cornering would be fantastic

All tyres on the car MUST be the same compound, they are not allowed to mix them.


I think the tyres spice up the race a little more. But the biggest thing about such close racing is Track Position. If you are not fast enough in Qualifying to get as far up the field as possible. Then you will need to try and do some creative strategy.
 
OK, Tassie Event this weekend.

First lap always produces some action, especially turn 2, turn 4 (hairpin) and turn 7 (end of the back straight). Tyres will play another part.

GO the Blue Oval


I also remember (I think jason akermanis) Rolling his Mini Challenge on the warm up lap last year.
 
OK, Tassie Event this weekend.

First lap always produces some action, especially turn 2, turn 4 (hairpin) and turn 7 (end of the back straight). Tyres will play another part.

GO the Blue Oval


I also remember (I think jason akermanis) Rolling his Mini Challenge on the warm up lap last year.

Yeah, First lap is usually pretty entertaining down there.:D

Last year I believe this is where Tander through away the championship.

So what are we predicting fellas? 888 domination once again, or will another Ford team win? Maybe even a Holden will win for a change.....👍
I think that 888 racing will probably win once again, they are just way too strong this year.:(

Yeah, that was funny when Akermanis rolled.:lol: I think he was pretty embarrassed by it too.

GO HOLDEN (Kelly Racing/HRT):D
 
I'm expecting another Team Vodafone victory. If after the first few laps they're streaking off I won't watch it for the rest of the weekend. They can fix the parity before I watch if that be the case.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back